Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

"A cave isn't gonna cut it, we're going to have to use Beebo"
The current crop of GM trucks have bed sides that are right at 60" off the ground, completely miserable to load anything into them by hand. The depth of the beds is actually causing problems for people using 5th wheel/gooseneck trailers, lots of dented tailgates and beds.

The 2019s are supposed to be even taller :clint:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joe944
Jan 31, 2004

What does not destroy me makes me stronger.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfg71KgtxO4

I'll take one.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
its almost like they're aware that a certain group of people will take on any amount of debt imaginable to boost their fragile ego

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I haven't been keeping up but it appears that everyone is making bigger dumber trucks and getting rid of all small cars

*excited hootin' and hollerin' from all directions in the US, simultaneously*

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

MonkeyNutZ posted:

The current crop of GM trucks have bed sides that are right at 60" off the ground, completely miserable to load anything into them by hand. The depth of the beds is actually causing problems for people using 5th wheel/gooseneck trailers, lots of dented tailgates and beds.

If people actually wanted to put large objects in the back of their car they would get a van

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

MonkeyNutZ posted:

Previous generations of trucks will get more and more valuable to people that actually use them because they will be the only ones left that are useful :v:

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
It's not so much that they want to see over other cars in traffic, it's that they don't want to see other traffic at all.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Why do you need to be able to see over other cars anyway?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Monkey Fracas posted:

I haven't been keeping up but it appears that everyone is making bigger dumber trucks and getting rid of all small cars

dumb country, so what

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Throatwarbler posted:

Here's the upper trim nose

This joke has been done to death already, hasn't it?

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

BraveUlysses posted:

dumb country, so what

I :love: my extremely big, extremely stupid country

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

davebo posted:

It's not so much that they want to see over other cars in traffic, it's that they don't want to see other traffic at all.

Well, now that everybody else has trucks, new trucks have to be taller to see over the previous generation of trucks.

Just wait until the GM Futurliner style makes a comeback.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Well, at some point the vehicles will be so jacked up that it will be better to make something lower and see UNDER them.

Hell make stuff narrower too and we can just drive under the gridlocked monsters.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Previous generations of trucks will get more and more valuable to people that actually use them because they will be the only ones left that are useful :v:

The old factory low-riding S10 xtreme is extremely popular among the geriatric gardener set for this exact reason

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
90s 2WD Silverados sat really low as well, and get comparable fuel economy to modern trucks out of the 305.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Pryor on Fire posted:

The new car market is nearly dead. Just nobody buys cars anymore.

In the mid 90's 1/3 of new vehicle purchasers were over 55.

Today, it's 2/3.

No one buys new cars but extremely no one under 40 is buying new anything.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

In the mid 90's 1/3 of new vehicle purchasers were over 55.

Today, it's 2/3.

No one buys new cars but extremely no one under 40 is buying new anything.

Millennials killed cars :argh:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

The old factory low-riding S10 xtreme is extremely popular among the geriatric gardener set for this exact reason

Any small truck, S10, Dakota, Ranger, they get ground down into dust as pool trucks around here.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

bull3964 posted:

Well, at some point the vehicles will be so jacked up that it will be better to make something lower and see UNDER them.

Hell make stuff narrower too and we can just drive under the gridlocked monsters.

One of the most terrifying experiences ends of my life is when I was driving my father's NA MX-5 to prepare it for sale (it was red so I needed to do a fair bit of polishing).

I stopped at a red light in a 100km/h zone only to look in the rear view and see a lifted 4WD of some sort (either a Prado or Pajero I think) complete with chunky ARB bullbar and winch completely locked up and closing fast. It ended up stopping perhaps 3 metres behind the MX-5 but across both lanes at a 45 degree angle. The winch section of the bullbar was about level with the back of my head...

Anyway that's my low car story, while I sometimes miss the old designs there is no way I'd want to be driving one with all the monsters that now inhabit the roads - makes me glad my modern Mazda3 is actually quite tall for a hatch.

donut
Feb 4, 2001

Tekne posted:

RAM'S response to the Chevy Uggo has been spotted. They settled with generically ugly.

Looks more like their response to the ugly sneaker trend.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

On that trim at least. The Gillette Razorhorn is very powerful.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

What, they couldn't even chrome the hood and fenders? Do they not understand what luxury is?

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Powershift posted:

What, they couldn't even chrome the hood and fenders? Do they not understand what luxury is?

I won’t be happy until someone releases a luxury truck trim with chrome tires.

Genderfluent
Jul 15, 2015

Applebees Appetizer posted:

My first car was an early 90's GMC Sonoma and I regret getting rid of it all the time

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

drgitlin posted:

I won’t be happy until someone releases a luxury truck trim with chrome tires.

Isn't that what 22+" wheels are?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Whitewalls never died. They just became wheels

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

Isn't that what 22+" wheels are?

I mean the actual tires. Chrome, all over.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Powershift posted:

Millennials killed cars :argh:

Hey, let's be fair: they killed motorcycles too.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Hey, let's be fair: they killed motorcycles too.

Harley, we killed Harley

Seik
Apr 15, 2006

Yes, I am indeed purple.
Pillbug

KakerMix posted:

Harley, we killed Harley

And nothing of value was lost. I have a buddy with a 2018 Street Bob and he has to shift into neutral before second otherwise the transmission makes a horrible clunk. Took it to the dealer. "They're meant to do that". For twice the MSRP of another more capable bike? Crazy.

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

Monkey Fracas posted:

The next extended oil price spike and/or mass die-off of Boomers is going to be truly amazing to watch.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Itzena posted:

The next extended oil price spike and/or mass die-off of Boomers is going to be truly amazing to watch.

Nah cause they're gonna drag the rest of us to the grave with them

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

So, a win-win?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

pointsofdata posted:

Why do you need to be able to see over other cars anyway?

To be able to see things in front of those vehicles, like upcoming hazards or oncoming traffic when making a turn. It's obviously a zero-sum game, but I won't pretend it's not useful from time to time. I mean, when it comes to backing out of a parking spot between two large trucks, I have less use for a backup camera than I would for a loving periscope.

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

More drunk than a barrel of monkeys

MonkeyNutZ posted:

Have people started to put medium duty style dedicated 5th wheel truck bed replacements on Class 1/2/3 yet?

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

PT6A posted:

To be able to see things in front of those vehicles, like upcoming hazards or oncoming traffic when making a turn. It's obviously a zero-sum game, but I won't pretend it's not useful from time to time. I mean, when it comes to backing out of a parking spot between two large trucks, I have less use for a backup camera than I would for a loving periscope.

I feel like there must be a day coming where your car will be equipped with a tiny drone that will fly up and give you a video feed of your parking and oncoming traffic.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

vote_no posted:

I feel like there must be a day coming where your car will be equipped with a tiny drone that will fly up and give you a video feed of your parking and oncoming traffic.

*sometime in the 2030s* drat, my drone can't see anything past all of these other drones, and their rotors keep getting in the way!

I need a bigger drone.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

PT6A posted:

Because taller cars tend to be longer and wider, and have additional blindspots, I feel like it is worse than zero sum but haven't checked the maths.

E: I think that's correct. Imagine a highway full of Golfs compared to F-150s. You can see more in the former due to the smaller field of view obscured by the golf's, even when you are in the same car.

distortion park fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Dec 9, 2018

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

pointsofdata posted:

Because taller cars tend to be longer and wider, and have additional blindspots, I feel like it is worse than zero sum but haven't checked the maths.

E: I think that's correct. Imagine a highway full of Golfs compared to F-150s. You can see more in the former due to the smaller field of view obscured by the golf's, even when you are in the same car.

Yeah, I'd agree with that. Unfortunately, everyone is prone to selfish behaviour and without any regulations discouraging taller, larger vehicles, well, we find ourselves in our current predicament.

Gas taxes for non-commercial vehicles would work a treat. A co-worker of mine already just traded in his Silverado for a Golf recently because he was sick of paying for so much gas, and that was with gas prices the way they are currently. Imagine if they were .50/L more expensive!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

pointsofdata posted:

You can also see through the Golf since all the glass is at the same level as you.