Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I wish people would stop with the developmental energy thing. It's an MMO. Odds are there will be parts of it that do not appeal to you. That doesn't make them a waste of dev time. I don't craft, own a house, or ever visit the Golden Saucer except to occasionally churn Triple Triad cards to MGP. I'm not gonna unsub when they add a new GATE though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Mordiceius posted:

In case you guys didn't see it - there is a recent interview with YoshiP and Nakagawa about Eureka

Some main takeaways:
-Anemos was far far far more active than they expected. They expected a very very small amount of the playerbase to be interested, but that was greatly exceeded. (Likely due to relic, natch)

-Pagos was built with the idea that Anemos wouldn't be too popular/active within the playerbase. Pagos was almost completed by the time Anemos came out so it was too late for them to completely change it. In this way, Pyros is the true successor to Anemos (and if you've played in Pyros, you can tell)

-The next part of Eureka is the final part and it has a "big surprise" at the end.

I don't know why but this bit sticks out to me.

quote:

Y: I started writing the opening of the plot because it would be bad if I just throw a nonsense without any explanation afterward and sent it to the scenario team. At the time, scenario team was buried in workload so I often wrote the plot myself.

Yoshida seems like a good boss. He did a bunch of the writing himself because his team was overworked, instead of yelling at them to work harder with less resources like every single boss I've ever had does.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Renegret posted:

I don't know why but this bit sticks out to me.

Yoshida seems like a good boss. He did a bunch of the writing himself because his team was overworked, instead of yelling at them to work harder with less resources like every single boss I've ever had does.

Don't get that excited, the plot in Eureka is incredibly barebones. All the dialogue strung together from what we have so far would be about 4 pages.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Failboattootoot posted:

Don't get that excited, the plot in Eureka is incredibly barebones. All the dialogue strung together from what we have so far would be about 4 pages.

point still stands

When my boss finds a problem on a ticket, he'll make me stop what I'm doing, open the ticket and fix it, even though it's just one button that needs to be clicked. And he's already looking at the ticket. Some bosses are just super allergic to doing things themselves.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Lalafell are the most bullied race.

I'm assuming that other 25% is the other Ivalice races like Rev or Garif that most people don't bother to remember.

GRIA CONFIRMED

frosteh
Apr 30, 2009
I've recently reactivated since 4.0/4.1 and going through all of the content. I've also been trying to read up on the whole Eureka weapon/grind and judging by the recent posts here it seems pretty terrible. Can someone go into a little more detail on how it all works and why it's so terrible? Some googling gives me a broad overview of having to go to some zone and get elemental levels and collect loot to craft/level up a piece of a gear.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
I felt like Magnai and his clan were more comical than creepy. It's not like they were abducting women left and right, and even when he thought that one Au Ra girl was his Nhamaa he just kinda got excited, he didn't try to force himself on her.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

EponymousMrYar posted:

WAR's are a bit different because Overpower isn't a PBAoE like Flash or Unleash, so they can't do the PLD's/DRK thing of 'running into a pack of mobs, Flash/Unleash a couple times and then position/run onwards.'.

I guess I fail to see how face pull -> flash is better than running shield lob -> flash as you meet the pack. Mostly because half the idiot healers in the world will put a regen on you as you go in and now you have to waste time gathering the monsters together again.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
Pull with Clemency

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

frosteh posted:

I've recently reactivated since 4.0/4.1 and going through all of the content. I've also been trying to read up on the whole Eureka weapon/grind and judging by the recent posts here it seems pretty terrible. Can someone go into a little more detail on how it all works and why it's so terrible? Some googling gives me a broad overview of having to go to some zone and get elemental levels and collect loot to craft/level up a piece of a gear.

Eureka is a series of 3 open world instances with their own leveling system. So ignoring all the nuances of how it works, the only thing to do is grind. In it's earliest adaption, Anemos, you're expected to just chain mobs and FATE bosses for XP and tokens, which you trade in for your relic.

Also, you must party with people within 2 levels of you. If even 1 person is one level too high or low, then you get no XP for killing anything. Which means you probably can't even grind with your friends.

Everything is tuned really high, so you will get obliterated by anything even 1 level higher than you. You must group up with other people to have any hope of killing anything. Except since you must be in a group with people the same level for you, you're poo poo out of luck if there's no groups in your level range.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

Verranicus posted:

I felt like Magnai and his clan were more comical than creepy. It's not like they were abducting women left and right, and even when he thought that one Au Ra girl was his Nhamaa he just kinda got excited, he didn't try to force himself on her.

Yeah, Magnai's issue is that he's super arrogant and thinks he is Azim's gift to the steppe. But once someone says no, he just goes home to sulk rather than force the issue and never brings it up again.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Thundarr posted:

I guess I fail to see how face pull -> flash is better than running shield lob -> flash as you meet the pack. Mostly because half the idiot healers in the world will put a regen on you as you go in and now you have to waste time gathering the monsters together again.

I feel like the Shield Lob -> Flash version makes the pre-regen worse. The problem with shield lob is that you were probably already pretty close to face-pull distance anyway, so you can sometimes have almost a full GCD of you just sitting there with the mobs around you waiting for Flash to come off cooldown. No one can attack or heal you during that time and they have no idea if you're going to keep pulling or not. Once you've mastered the face-pull Flash, you never stop running and it makes it clear to everyone what's going on.

Also I've had one time I can think of where pre-regen screwed me over and it was mostly my fault anyway. Like maybe I haven't noticed because 95% of healers don't do it but I'm not sure that's the case. Is it really that big a deal to pre-regen/shield?

Verranicus posted:

That's why I felt like the sexist opener was a bit weird and was confused what it was about. Like... "Wow you're strong and beautiful, could we be fated to be together?" isn't a creepy thing to say in a world where catgirls go to the desert to bang an old man if they want to have kids. Honestly, it's downright progressive!

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Thundarr posted:

If you shield lob your GCD will still be rolling for about a second after mobs are properly positioned for flash. If the healer put a regen on you you can often still catch all the mobs as they are passing you a lot easier due to that. Shield Lob and Tomohawk are also nearly as expensive as Total Eclipse and Overpower so you will run out of tp a bit quicker but that's not usually a problem.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Verranicus posted:

He's absolutely intended to be a comical figure that projects this arrogant macho tough guy persona to mask his deep insecurity over his lack of a girlfriend. If you go back and talk to him inbetween MSQ portions, he'll often start immediately sidetracking into talking about his (lack of) a love life.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Renegret posted:

Everything is tuned really high, so you will get obliterated by anything even 1 level higher than you. You must group up with other people to have any hope of killing anything. Except since you must be in a group with people the same level for you, you're poo poo out of luck if there's no groups in your level range.

See, this is what I hate about it. The other relic grinds were tolerable because I could work on them whenever, and if I needed a group, the duty finder is right there.

With this, I've got to not only find a group, but also hope people near my level of progression are also doing it at that time. (lol multiplayer in a mmo)

Even solo only would be an improvement. There's something zen about going out and grinding mobs. Don't even get that with Eureka

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

The worst part of eureka for me was the whole fate chain or grind business. It's like, yay try to scrape together a party of people who are still in your level range (not that many) to stand around and bash your face against mobs for hours or stand around and afk for hours before you can start getting any rewards or even contribute.

By the first month it was out barely anyone was doing low level fates anymore because the trains were mostly made up of high level people where it wouldn't benefit them at all. So my last time in Eureka was spending 3 hours afking and hoping I don't get one shot by a mob while higher level people farm, plinking at the boss doing 100 damage and getting one shot, getting minimal XP because the boss is 2+ levels higher than me, then hoping someone in the party would be kind enough to let me on a two seater mount, and if they don't I run with the zerg and hope I don't get one shot and left behind on the way. I went from level 9-11 during these 3 hours and I realized I wouldn't be seeing any improvement till 13 where maybe I'll get some challenge log completion during these zergs, and that I need to be level 20 to even get the drops I need for a relic. Supposedly this is faster than chaining mobs too. I left and never went back

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
Eureka would be ten times better if you could manually level sync to match your friends and not obliterate their exp gain. It's a shame that Pagos is so, so bad because I'm actually really enjoying Pyros. There's always a bunny fate up and chasing them around for lots of gil is fun.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

WrightOfWay posted:

If you shield lob your GCD will still be rolling for about a second after mobs are properly positioned for flash. If the healer put a regen on you you can often still catch all the mobs as they are passing you a lot easier due to that. Shield Lob and Tomohawk are also nearly as expensive as Total Eclipse and Overpower so you will run out of tp a bit quicker but that's not usually a problem.

Shield Lob also specifically has a bonus enmity increase to mitigate that GCD before you can Flash. With a face pull anything that isn't in range of your Flash the instant you are seen is going to run off to hit whoever is doing anything else at all that seems threatening. I guess I've rarely ever had an issue keeping things on me when I open with Shield Lob, even with a second or so before Flash, but just running in first to Flash turns into a poo poo show a lot of the time.

I can see the lob first method being a problem if you have a trigger happy ranged dps that opens up on a different target than you, though.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Renegret posted:

Also, you must party with people within 2 levels of you. If even 1 person is one level too high or low, then you get no XP for killing anything. Which means you probably can't even grind with your friends.

This sounds like it was designed by someone who fantasized about the most hyperbolic take on near-launch FF11 and then cranked it so hard the dial came off.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Schubalts posted:

This sounds like it was designed by someone who fantasized about the most hyperbolic take on near-launch FF11 and then cranked it so hard the dial came off.

Boy, do I have bad news for you...

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I got to level 3 in Eureka, saw how long that grind took, and decided to NOPE out and forget about getting the SB relic.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Saint Freak posted:

GRIA CONFIRMED

I was actually wondering if they'd bother to mention them, but they are basically Au Ra with less scales and more wings.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
The grind in Anemos isn't so bad now, I did it for glamour and it only took me about two weeks to hit 20 and get 2 weapons and enough crystals for a 3rd. I got the first weapon when I was level 16.

I did half of the challenge log the first week and it took me from 1-9.

I also spent a grand total of about 30 minutes in pagos and I have no intention of going back there until I hit 35 (or close) from the CL, and I get a second monitor for netflix.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

frosteh posted:

Eureka is an attempt to recapture the "magic" of old mmo's like Everquest and FF11. The only things you do in those zones are grind on trash mobs and kill the occasional rare spawn. In the latter two they also added a couple of quickly spawning fates that may give you a rabbit to play hot and cold with. You also can't use your mounts in the zone until you hit the max level there, nor can you use the aetherytes until you hit specific levels that aren't particularly early in the experience, except in the case of Pyros. And of course, you lose experience on death unless you can get a raise.

In practical terms, about 30 of the 144 people in the zone will work towards spawning the Notorious Monsters (boss fates) (which is almost always triggered by globally killing around )100 of a certain mob type, sometimes under specific weather and time conditions) while the rest of the instance afk's until said NM spawns, at which point groups are hastily formed and everyone runs off to kill it. You then need to grind an assortment of crystals and light depending on which Eureka instance you are in and where in the progression you are in order to unlock glowing weapons with 5 materia slots that are generally not really that great, dyeable AF3, and an ugly armor set. Meanwhile there are loot boxes, everyone's favorite mechanic, with cosmetics and market destroying amounts of materia.

If you go strictly by the time requirement to get these relics, Eureka is actually the easiest relic grind implemented yet minus the 2 victory lap ones. I finished each eureka instance in about 20 hours per (finished being a relative term here, got my weapon is what I mean, still missing emotes and mounts and pets). But in terms of the actual thing you are doing to get it, it is pretty easily the second most tedious and bullshit grind of the relic chain, only beaten out by the original light grind step. I.E. the 500-1000 hm garuda step.

Yes books are better than both of these I will fight literally all of you.

Edit: Honestly, after doing all 3 to get a glowing katana I will regret wasting my time on when I main switch to dancer, I don't think the concept is entirely bankrupt, but they hosed up by making it a separate zone and not finding a way to replicate most of this out in the open world. If I could queue for poo poo while hanging out, or maybe gather, I would hate it less. But then that's just literally the hunt system.

Failboattootoot fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Dec 7, 2018

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Failboattootoot posted:

Yes books are better than both of these I will fight literally all of you.

Meet me at high noon.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I'm kinda over the whole "Eureka is bad, Eureka is fine" tug-of-war. It's there, it's 100% optional, and enough people like doing it that they're continuing it to its conclusion. And they'll almost certainly relax the overall progression curve in 5.0, given their usual strategy with old relics.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I wouldn't mind standing in one place grinding mobs if I could do it solo. It's a netflix mechanic, and I have a high tolerance for that anyway considering the number of F2P Korean MMOs I played in my college days.

Since it's group content however, I have no idea how you're expected to actually get your relic once 5.0 drops and nobody does Eureka anymore.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Renegret posted:

I also spent a grand total of about 30 minutes in pagos and I have no intention of going back there until I hit 35 (or close) from the CL, and I get a second monitor for netflix.

Yeah, Pagos is awful but Pyros being good makes me excited for part 4.

The best way to do Pagos is to do your weekly challenge log in Anemos (takes about an hour). This will give about 2.25 levels per week. Once you get to level 32, then go to Pagos because at this point you can use all the Aetherytes.

Personally, I did my weekly challenge log and then just hung out in Pagos because I was bored. But with the challenge log, it'll only take about a month of super casual play to get to level 32 for Pagos, assuming you don't want to spend any time in there until 32.

The time-consuming thing is the crystals and the light. When I reached 35, I had about 350 of 500 crystals, though it honestly didn't take too long to get to 500. I had to grind about 10-12 bars of light. I hate doing that with a group, as I prefer to do my own pace, so the wolf/bunny fate trick works really well. Especially if it is snowing and you can hit a sprite every 10. I got a light burst off a sprite at #30 in my chain and got 7 full bars of light. So that was nice.

Failboattootoot posted:

In practical terms, about 30 of the 144 people in the zone will work towards spawning the Notorious Monsters (boss fates) (which is almost always triggered by globally killing around )100 of a certain mob type, sometimes under specific weather and time conditions) while the rest of the instance afk's until said NM spawns, at which point groups are hastily formed and everyone runs off to kill it.

Also, it only takes 30 kills of the certain mobs to "prep" a NM.

KoB
May 1, 2009

DizzyBum posted:

I'm kinda over the whole "Eureka is bad, Eureka is fine" tug-of-war. It's there, it's 100% optional, and enough people like doing it that they're continuing it to its conclusion. And they'll almost certainly relax the overall progression curve in 5.0, given their usual strategy with old relics.

The problem is that it takes away from content which could actually be good.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

DizzyBum posted:

Unfortunately it will almost certainly come back in 5.x at the expensive of content that isn’t bad.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Mordiceius posted:

Also, it only takes 30 kills of the certain mobs to "prep" a NM.

Yeah, lately I've been spending a lot of time in Pagos trying to get the weapon (because Gerolt won't craft that sexy, sexy tank armor in Pyros without it), and most of the time everything's fully prepped and we're just waiting on the fates to actually spawn. Unless you're completely alone it's not hard to prep NMs, and unless you're deathly afraid of talking to other human people it's easy to find a party.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Yeah but then you're stuck off in the middle of nowhere chain-grinding mobs and I don't really feel like the FF14 combat mechanics really work with that kind of experience. They were passable back in 1998-2001 when those games only needed an average input of 1 button per 15 seconds but doing ff14 rotations for long stretches of time is just the fast track to carpal tunnel. Also, what made that low apm gaming even acceptable to begin with was the socialization and fitting in complete sentences during gcd's is difficult to say the least.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Vitamean posted:

Meet me at high noon.

I'm inclined to agree with him? The light grind is a loving joke now for both the Zodiac and Anima's. But pre-nerf it was dumb poo poo like doing story Ifrit 700 times, or A1S 200 times. Which honestly is more work than all of Eureka combined at this point.

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009

Renegret posted:

I wouldn't mind standing in one place grinding mobs if I could do it solo. It's a netflix mechanic, and I have a high tolerance for that anyway considering the number of F2P Korean MMOs I played in my college days.

Since it's group content however, I have no idea how you're expected to actually get your relic once 5.0 drops and nobody does Eureka anymore.

I solo grind mobs all the time in Eureka for light, logos, or to prep NMs when I can't get a light party - it's not that difficult in Aenemos and Pagos, and is downright brainless with certain logos in Pyros. I pretty much went from 20-30 or so when you can actually be effective in the pagos NM train (whenever you get the NW aetheryte) by doing my challenge logs myself or by picking up 1-2 others and just killing stuff. It's not optimal, but it is possible and it does very much hearken back to the pre-WOW MMO vibe.

I'll admit some classes solo better than others, and you have to pick what you're going to fight carefully, but it's really not as hard as you're painting it to be. Eurekan potions are a wonderful tool for soloing, as is the buff you get from elementals. All of the tanks solo very well, as does SMN and SAM. RDM and SCH are a bit harder but still not that bad. Haven't tried soloing on any other classes.

DizzyBum posted:

This. I avoided Eureka for a long time due to the negativity from Goons, and when I tried it I found I actually kind of enjoyed it (not to mention it loving rains genesis once you get on the NM train). If you don't care for it, that's fine, but a lot of folks do it either because they like it or they like the rewards. I'm having more fun in Pyros trying to get a better roll on my relic or in pagos trying to work up a second relic than I am running poop dungeon for the 50th time, and because I still easily max out my tomes for the week.

Once SB2 drops, they'll either buff exp gain even more or relax relic requirements or both.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
okay but hear me out

have you considered not playing content I don't personally like???

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Even nerfed, books are still worse than Anemos or Pyros by a country mile. So is the Umbrite anima step.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
I guess? I finished Umbrite and unidentified in a week last month. All I did was the regular leveling roulettes, some Beast Tribe dailies, and a couple rounds of gatherer blue scrips. Didn't go hard in the paint on any, usually queued solo, didn't do every roulette every day. Meanwhile, I capped DRK and WAR as a result (from 63 and 51 respectively). That's more my jam than a self-contained grind for its own sake.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Rainuwastaken posted:

Yeah, lately I've been spending a lot of time in Pagos trying to get the weapon (because Gerolt won't craft that sexy, sexy tank armor in Pyros without it), and most of the time everything's fully prepped and we're just waiting on the fates to actually spawn. Unless you're completely alone it's not hard to prep NMs, and unless you're deathly afraid of talking to other human people it's easy to find a party.

Yeah. The spawn rates in Pagos are just so bad. Pyros really is so much better. You can really tell that Pyros is the true sequel to Anemos.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

isk posted:

I guess? I finished Umbrite and unidentified in a week last month. All I did was the regular leveling roulettes, some Beast Tribe dailies, and a couple rounds of gatherer blue scrips. Didn't go hard in the paint on any, usually queued solo, didn't do every roulette every day. Meanwhile, I capped DRK and WAR as a result (from 63 and 51 respectively). That's more my jam than a self-contained grind for its own sake.

I'm at this step and let me tell you, it's 100% poo poo if you don't have a gatherer at 60 for custom deliveries. I know you can get collectibles at 50, but best I was able to get was a 1 star one which gives you 5 scrips; each sand requires 5 tokens which take 2 scrips each, so 125 per sand and ugh.

I've put my relic on hold until I get access to custom deliveries. :<

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
What was the step you do in like 15 minutes by just cancelling leves over and over? Was that Umbrite?