Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

Fine, we'll just throw him in a deep, dark hole for the rest of his life.

Of course, Trump will probably pardon him then give him a nice sloppy blowjob in the middle of Times Square while the chuds look on and go "Yes, yes, this is very Presidential and triggers the libs."
Maybe Russia can do a spy swap for him at the same time as for Maria Butina?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

Fine, we'll just throw him in a deep, dark hole for the rest of his life.

Of course, Trump will probably pardon him then give him a nice sloppy blowjob in the middle of Times Square while the chuds look on and go "Yes, yes, this is very Presidential and triggers the libs."

i dunno if he'd pardon assange because that would imply that assange helped him out with the russia investigation instead of his win being his own political brilliance

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

evilweasel posted:

i dunno if he'd pardon assange because that would imply that assange helped him out with the russia investigation instead of his win being his own political brilliance

But he loves Wikileaks--remember the campaign? He just wants to help Wikileaks! Why don't you liberals want transparent government? :smug:

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/cnnbrk/status/1071025462057594881

Another round of this

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Charlz Guybon posted:

Counter revolutionary compared to what? The Articles of Confederation?
this isn't the thread for it but it's one of the reasons why people who idolize the words of the founding fathers find themselves so opposed to their policies. If you or anyone want to continue this I'd be happy to somewhere else.

But this is the thread for:

Haven't we seen this headline like forty times now?

HootTheOwl fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Dec 7, 2018

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures

HootTheOwl posted:

this isn't the thread for it but it's one of the reasons why people who idolize the words of the founding fathers find themselves so opposed to their policies. If you or anyone want to continue this I'd be happy to somewhere else.

But this is the thread for:

Haven't we seen this headline like forty times now?

I was just thinking last night we were due for another round of Kelly exit rumors.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
If Kelly isn't speaking to Trump who is

I imagine a dickensian scenario where Trump just wanders the halls of the white House and everyone present just refuses to acknowledge his presence

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

If Kelly isn't speaking to Trump who is

I imagine a dickensian scenario where Trump just wanders the halls of the white House and everyone present just refuses to acknowledge his presence
"Am I a ghost? Wait, ghost can't tweet"

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

they say the hollow emperor stalks these halls still

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/CNNPolitics/status/1071088217447911426

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

Is it a bunch of people trying to push Kelly out? They leak to the media, trump thinks Kelly flipped and hope that suddenly trump has the balls to fire him?

They underestimate how much trump hates confrontation. Theres a good chance trump would say "you're fired" kelly can respond "nahhh" and trump would just walk away and Kelly's still employed.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Think that literally happened a few times with both Kelly and sessions.

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
The fan fiction version of this would be that Kelly has stayed in the role while being interviewed by Mueller to pass Trump reactions/actions back to the SC and now Mueller doesn't need him so he's peacing out.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Fifteen of Many posted:

The fan fiction version of this would be that Kelly has stayed in the role while being interviewed by Mueller to pass Trump reactions/actions back to the SC and now Mueller doesn't need him so he's peacing out.

The fan fiction version would be all of them having weirdly described sex with each other

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
I mean, it was an oral interview.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

Would Trump be an Alpha, Beta, or Omega?

Missouri Republicans are reintroducing Right to Work after voters shot it down in August.
https://twitter.com/MOAFLCIO/status/1069995622374273030

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Crow Jane posted:

The fan fiction version would be all of them having weirdly described sex with each other

Democrats have been shipping Trump and Putin so doggedly that even not-that-woke people had to tell them it was getting loving weird.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

ThingOne posted:

Missouri Republicans are reintroducing Right to Work after voters shot it down in August.

Were getting to the point where behavior like this needs to be responded to with the Tucker Carlson Home Visit treatment. I think publishing a list of the legislators who are in favor of this and their home addresses would have a salutary effect on the health and responsiveness of our democracy.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

ThingOne posted:

I don't expect this to go anywhere, a lot of Republicans have been saying publicly they have no intention of revisiting RTW immediately. It'll get some support from the hardcore crowd.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

selec posted:

Democrats have been shipping Trump and Putin so doggedly that even not-that-woke people had to tell them it was getting loving weird.

Personally, Richard Spencer and a fist are my otp. Honorable mention to Trump and his hair alien, though

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

PerniciousKnid posted:

I don't expect this to go anywhere, a lot of Republicans have been saying publicly they have no intention of revisiting RTW immediately. It'll get some support from the hardcore crowd.

I think Schatz said he doesn't plan on bringing it up for a vote but still this poo poo is exhausting. Calling Burlison out on it isn't an option either because he represents one of the deep red counties that voted yes on Prop A.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

PerniciousKnid posted:

If I were Michigan Republicans, I would be very wary of passing new laws that would incentivize democrats to put a broadly popular repeal vote on the ballot in 2020 that would also remind people how much they hate republicans.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

evilweasel posted:

If I were Michigan Republicans, I would be very wary of passing new laws that would incentivize democrats to put a broadly popular repeal vote on the ballot in 2020 that would also remind people how much they hate republicans.

I feel like the GOP nationally realizes the Trump Reckoning is upon them, and they don't give a poo poo anymore. They are at the "stripping copper wiring out of the walls on their way out" stage of things.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Crow Jane posted:

Personally, Richard Spencer and a fist are my otp.

It isn't shipping if it has already been confirmed.

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

My stove defies the laws of physics!

evilweasel posted:

The tweet in question was about Missouri. Is something similar also going on in Michigan with RTW?

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

evilweasel posted:

Missouri but yeah, they had to stick it on the Primary ballot to avoid increasing turnout for the Midterms. The only counties that voted yes are the reddest of the red and even those were close.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

evilweasel posted:

If I were a Missouri Republican I would be pretty confident that my voters are too stupid to figure out who passed the law in the first place

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/congress-may-accidentally-freed-nearly-banks-volcker-rule-174423119.html

quote:

Congress may have accidentally freed nearly all banks from the Volcker rule

A few double negatives buried in legislative text may have inadvertently freed nearly all U.S. banks from a regulation known as the Volcker Rule, which sought to curb risky behavior in response to the 2008 financial crisis.
In the spring of 2018, a number of moderate Senate Democrats teamed up with Senate Banking Committee Chair Mike Crapo (R-Idaho) and the Republican majority to pass a package bill paring back portions of Dodd-Frank, arguing that some of the rules placed an undue burden on smaller financial institutions.

One of those provisions exempted smaller banks from the Volcker Rule. A summary of the bill promises “community bank relief” to banking entities that have “(1) less than $10 billion in total consolidated assets, and (2) total trading assets and trading liabilities that are not more than five percent of total consolidated assets.”
But sources tell Yahoo Finance that some of the largest U.S. banks are now thinking about challenging the interpretation of that May legislation in court, arguing that the bill could be read as also extending regulatory relief to banks far above $10 billion in assets.

:airquote:accidentally:airquote:

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
Yikes. I'm going to be refreshing the news quite a bit this evening.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Hunt11 posted:

It isn't shipping if it has already been confirmed.

In my headcanon they have many more adventures together though

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

twice burned ice posted:

The tweet in question was about Missouri. Is something similar also going on in Michigan with RTW?

no, i just can't read and am quite tired

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Crow Jane posted:

In my headcanon they have many more adventures together though

Richard Spencer kneeled before the oven, feeling the taut muscles in his generous haunches flex.
“I need to get back in the gym,” he thought idly as the timer went off, signaling that the Hungry Man in the oven was ready for the hungry man outside of it.
He opened the door and as he reached for the oven mitt on the counter, there was a flash of pain and light; the old familiar sting. The fist had lunged out of the oven and clocked him, cracking the orbit of his right eye.
As he lay on the floor, remembering that 911 didn’t even take his calls anymore, he wondered: did I forget the fist’s birthday?

selec fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Dec 7, 2018

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Reading the actual bill text quoted in the article, I think that the banks have a very tortured reading of the law. I'd be shocked if the banks' argument held up in court, even given our judiciary from Hell.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

selec posted:

Richard Spencer kneeled before the oven, feeling the taught muscles in his generous haunches flex.
“I need to get back in the gym,” he thought idly as the timer went off, signaling that the Hungry Man in the oven was ready for the hungry man outside of it.
He opened the door and as he reached for the oven mitt on the counter, there was a flash of pain and light; the old familiar sting. The fist had lunged out of the oven and clocked him, cracking the orbit of his right eye.
As he lay on the floor, remembering that 911 didn’t even take his calls anymore, he wondered: did I forget the fist’s birthday?

Niiice :golfclap:

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

VikingofRock posted:

Reading the actual bill text quoted in the article, I think that the banks have a very tortured reading of the law. I'd be shocked if the banks' argument held up in court, even given our judiciary from Hell.

Nah this is what stealing the Supreme Court was intended to accomplish, just like when they gutted the VRA and overturned the mandatory Medicaid expansion under arguments almost as dumb.

The counter is going to be "ah but VitalSigns, they upheld Obamcare in the face of equally stupid arguments in King v Burwell what about that", but the difference there is the corporate interests who tell our judges what to think were overwhelmingly against taking away their own subsidies to own the libs, whereas obviously gutting financial regulation is why they installed their stooges on the court.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
I could potentially see Roberts defecting on that reading, since he's always been concerned with the court's image and seems to be a bit moreso in the age of Trump. I definitely wouldn't hold my breath though, he's perfectly happy to accept loopholes and literal readings when it suits him. Basically, the only way I see the bank's reading being shot down is if the circuit courts widely shut them down, because Roberts gets nervous about overturning a serious concensus.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I don't think he's too concerned with the court's appearance, he flushed it down the toilet to gut the VRA even though the long-term consequences for the court's legitimacy in the public would be disastrous.

That's the explanation we always hear for why he did things like uphold the Obamacare mandate and later the subsidies, but there's an alternative explanation for both of those things: corporate interests wanted the mandate and the subsidies so he preserved those while gutting the parts of the law they hated like the Medicaid expansion. "Oh he's such a noble unsullied justice establishing his legacy was just the media spin to avoid acknowledging the reality of what Roberts did."

captainblastum
Dec 1, 2004

ProperGanderPusher posted:

Coal mining is a manly profession with a rich culture and historically pays much better than the alternatives. The only other job options out in the hollers are Walmart and military, and even those aren’t as easy to get these days as they used to be. The fact libs hate it is icing on the cake.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

That seemed like a pretty obvious facetious statement related to why coal jobs seem to be a focus of discussion to me and not the poster's actual opinion.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

captainblastum posted:

That seemed like a pretty obvious facetious statement related to why coal jobs seem to be a focus of discussion to me and not the poster's actual opinion.

This is the news thread not the (ironic?) shitpost thread and y’all have been skating on poo poo you shouldn’t have. The next time I won’t just post a cute photoshop.

Trump picks Heather Nauert as new US envoy to UN: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-46477719

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

VitalSigns posted:

I don't think he's too concerned with the court's appearance, he flushed it down the toilet to gut the VRA.

That's the explanation we always hear for why he did things like uphold the Obamacare mandate and later the subsidies, but there's an alternative explanation for both of those things: corporate interests wanted the mandate and the subsidies so he preserved those while gutting the parts of the law they hated like the Medicaid expansion. "Oh he's such a noble unsullied justice establishing his legacy was just the media spin to avoid acknowledging the reality of what Roberts did."

roberts is concerned with the court's appearance in a functional way, not an idealistic way. the image of the court affects his ability to exercise power. doing something massively antidemocratic like abolishing obamacare wouldn't have gotten him that much that he really cared about because he didn't really care about obamacare, but would really damage his ability to get what he cared about in the future. the question here will be how much does roberts personally care about rolling back bank regulations, vs how much will he think it hurts his image.

gutting the vra was something he desperately wanted to do so it was worth it to hurt his image because that's the sort of thing he hordes his power for; gutting obamacare less so, so it wasn't worth it.