Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

MrYenko posted:

It’s mostly the loving retard in the drivers seat.

I once had an Uber F150 (:911:) show up with a full-width LED bar on the bumper, and a pair of small ones angled maybe 20° to each side on the ends. I asked the guy if he was worried about blinding people, and he said “oh no, it’s so I can see better.”

Well no poo poo, the next quarter mile of road is lit up like loving Talladega.

Tampa is horrible for this. Motherfuckers, you are in the city. If you can't drive at night without 3000w of LEDs, you can't drive at night. Sheriff's dept. cracked down hard on that poo poo, thankfully.

Oh, special shout-out to the newspaper delivery guy who covered his entire SUVlet in led panels, "GO gently caress YOURSELF!" Dude's car made me hate TRON, and I like TRON.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Well if there's one thing that's good about the future it's that cars are now starting to come out with laser headlights and such that can 'see' oncoming cars and selectively cut that part of the beam so you don't blind the other cars. S class I was in recently had it, it seemed to work fairly well.

Doesn't even need laser headlights, many LED models have that function. Even some relatively inexpensive cars like Opel Astra.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

KakerMix posted:

I'd bring it over for [s]someone[/i], but no I lack the expertise and finesse to deal with ancient rotaries.

Do want. Buy this for me. Don't, I don't have any money.

MrYenko posted:

That car reminds me of the kitchen in pretty much every house from ~1978-1988.

It reminds me of all the marketing materials from '78-9. Seems like it was always a green RX-7. Except the demo model usually had not just brown, but brown *plaid*!

Elmnt80 posted:

Probably a good thing since with that low of mileage, theres a chance of the seals sticking to the housings due to sitting for way too long and losing compression. A more rotary inclined person could probably comment more and say all the ways to fix it. (Atf in the rotor housings, awww yeah.)

Presumably, it drove into the phot garage.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

MetaJew posted:

My brother's 2008 STI hatch had this adjustment, and my 09 MS3 also has it. :shrug:

Huh, I guess it's more common than I realized. Looking into it a little more, it seems ECE regs that everyone else in the world adheres to requires it, but it isn't required in North America. So I guess if the car is sold and/or built outside North America, they probably just leave the system there, but for domestic market cars they can probably save a buck or two by not installing a not required knob and stepper motor in the first place.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Isn't the deal with SUVs and trucks and such that the lights are always badly adjusted from factory as well as the fact they're at rear view mirror height for 'normal' cars?

Also projector headlights are poo poo, the slightest bump in the road makes cars look like they're flashing at you.

It's more North American vs European laws for low beams. NA laws require that headlights be at a specific angle. European laws require that they throw a max distance. Given that it's easier to set an angle than a distance, they don't even bother with checking the distance for USDM cars.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

And now that the IIHS is measuring and rating headlights as safety devices, maybe we can finally start to have a discussion about fixing our hilariously antiquated headlight laws in the US.

Because almost every car the IIHS surveys has piss poor headlights.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The visibility in my Toyota is great, never driven anything with better range on unlit rural roads, can easily do 55 and stop before I hit a deer planted in the road. Our Subaru comparison is garbage, feels like 1980's headlights and I got no confidence. Both cars are stock.

That said once in a blue moon someone flashes their high beams at me in the Toyota so they might just have poo poo alignment. I did ask the dealer to double check for me once and I verified on my own and everything seems fine. :iiam:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
S2000 has great headlights..... 8th gen Civic Si does not. Guess which one I drive all the time.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
I haven't driven too many newer cars, but I got a rental Subaru Legacy with steerable HID headlights, and the lighting was amazing.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Anyone got £60k and a lot of less than car friendly terrain??

http://www.lrmotors.co.uk/used/land-rover/series-ii/1958-cuthbertson-classic/thirsk/north-yorkshire/18116716#top-image

quote:

We are delighted to offer this very rare 1958 Land Rover Series 2 Cuthbertson tracked vehicle. Cuthbertson was an early manufacturer of rubber tracks, dating back to World War 2, and designed the first endless rubber belt. This led to many further developments based on applications for his invention. Including half tracks, the unique 'water buffalo' and the Land Rover conversions specifically for farmers forced to work in an uneven and hostile landscape.

This Series 2 Land Rover has one of James A Cuthbertson LTD'S tracked conversions complete with Power steering. Each track is 12-inches wide and has 40 steel shoes which drive four wheels on skinny tyres.
The modifications mean it now sits at more than eight-feet high, with the greater ground clearance enabling it to wade rivers and travel through swampy marshes with ease. The tracks were fitted in 1958 when the vehicle was new. A 2,286 cc petrol engined model 109 wheelbase, it was built on 8th September 1958 and dispatched on the 12th September to SMT sales and service company. It was given the reg number NHH 297. It is a very early Series 2. Production began in 1958 of the Series 2.

This Cuthbertson was bought and put into a private Norwegian collection before being sold in 2011 to a German businessman.

This is the perfect investment Land Rover. Supplied with a British Motor Industry Heritage Trust certificate. If you have any questions please do get in touch.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
hoooooly poo poo yesss

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99qHoM-ef10

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

jebus that car control YES

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

thechalkoutline posted:

jebus that car control YES

I’d love to take credit, but it wasn’t me, sorry.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Where's the fukken roll cage? No wonder so many Group B cars killed people.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

That's loving terrifying.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
i think Clarkson said something similar to "no airbags? don't crash"

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Holy poo poo that rules. Makes me wanna go practice shifting, though, and I've been doing it for nine years. :smith:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
wikipedia says the car has an integrated rollbar lmao

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Coworker suggested this instead:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKsOQablGOQ
I could bolt it in the bed of my truck and put my tailgate on an actuator.
The LEDs are individually controllable so I could even send them a little warning message before I erase their vision.

would

https://giant.gfycat.com/HatefulEquatorialAztecant.webm

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

do gfycat embeds just not work any more

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I don't think they ever did, SA only understands gifv extensions.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

The Prong Song posted:

quite well hidden and intergrated into the shel. You can see it disappear into the A-Pillar.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

The Prong Song posted:

It's built-in so it's hard to see, but it's there, e.g. you can see the front roof tube at 0:14. No, it's not a great roll cage:

I'm not a roll cage expert, but I always had my doubts about the Lancia Rally cage, too:

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

A good roll cage is a triangulated roll cage.

*squints*

These are not good roll cages.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

The terrible thread is talking about Honda odyssey, but the JDM odyssey was anything but, so I'm posting it here.
(pics stolen from Speedhunters)

Can't post JDM without posting hard parked JDM.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

tuna posted:

A good roll cage is a triangulated roll cage.

*squints*

These are not good roll cages.

If you use the vehicles panels as shear plates, the cage becomes a lot stronger. An integrated design very well may.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
wow, I'm surprised they didn't just use old toilet rolls wrapped in aluminium foil to really save weight.

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

Finger Prince posted:

The terrible thread is talking about Honda odyssey, but the JDM odyssey was anything but, so I'm posting it here.
(pics stolen from Speedhunters)

Can't post JDM without posting hard parked JDM.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3gnoYloeOU&t=740s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LC-iZ5J8i6Q

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.
Flooring it in a Bugatti Chiron at 100mph:

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

slothrop posted:

wow, I'm surprised they didn't just use old toilet rolls wrapped in aluminium foil to really save weight.

Not flammable enough.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

hackbunny posted:

It's built-in so it's hard to see, but it's there, e.g. you can see the front roof tube at 0:14. No, it's not a great roll cage:

I'm not a roll cage expert, but I always had my doubts about the Lancia Rally cage, too:

We have FIA roll cage building certification and my expert opinion is...

About on par for the day, loving terrifying otherwise.

(The Lancia cage was TBH actually pretty loving bad for the time as well)

um excuse me posted:

If you use the vehicles panels as shear plates, the cage becomes a lot stronger. An integrated design very well may.

The panels arent very strong in a Group B car......

slothrop posted:

You should have seen what the Lancia's bulkhead / firewall was. Alloy foil would have been stronger (It was an asbestos blanket)

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

You should have seen what the Lancia's bulkhead / firewall was. Alloy foil would have been stronger (It was an asbestos blanket)

:stonk:

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

We have FIA roll cage building certification and my expert opinion is...

About on par for the day, loving terrifying otherwise.

(The Lancia cage was TBH actually pretty loving bad for the time as well)

The panels arent very strong in a Group B car......

Why bother with a cage when surviving the crash means you have mesothelioma. poo poo why not make the car nuclear powered?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

slothrop posted:

poo poo why not make the car nuclear powered?

I mean I've heard the phrase "bombing down the straightaway" but that seems a bit on the nose

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

slothrop posted:

Why bother with a cage when surviving the crash means you have mesothelioma. poo poo why not make the car nuclear powered?

I'm with this feller. Nuclear cars now.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Atomic cars look like arse.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Nucleon

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

um excuse me posted:

https://youtu.be/5vVkPnpxSWY?t=9

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Uh, but that looks awesome...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

slothrop posted:

Yeah well... about surviving that crash.

The fuel tank was thin walled aluminium that partially went under the front seats. And the transmission was not that far away. And also so was the engine. And you were surrounded by composites. With a lot of magnesium ... like the gearbox ...... that was right next to you.

And these cars got REALLY hot.

Have I painted the picture well enough just how lethal a S4 would be in a big crash?

Well the crash that killed Group B was an S4 and basically Henri Toivonen's S4 exploded when it crashed and the fuel tank was split..... given all the composites and magnesium it would have been impossible to get out fast enough. The crash was probably survivable otherwise but still, by the time anyone got to the wreck all that was left was a space frame and some piles of ash where the driver and co-driver had died.

Not that other Group B cars were any better

(Warning - co-driver died)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYUILo6MmkA