Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Tei posted:

Good.

And is not out of the blue. One thing battle royales and CS share is, if you die, you are doomed to spectate better players than you. And learn. By looking at a better player, and having this feel "I would be more fun to be alive" that push players to git gud.

Anyway Epic is doing all the things better than anyone can imagine, the other royales are fighting for 2th position.

Oh, I get what you mean. I absolutely love the quick rounds, one life format of CS:GO, always have. I actually made a custom Halo 2 game set with very similar rules. It really adds to the intensity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

There's pretty much no better time to get into the PVE, that's for sure. Compared to the Warframe lite grind of a year ago it positively showers you in weapons, heroes, and experience.

Not a big fan of only filthy easy content (I can literally solo any map) and zero endgame content.

I've been playing Warframe for the past month, basically the same game loop but not hot garbage.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Seditiar posted:

Not a big fan of only filthy easy content (I can literally solo any map) and zero endgame content.

I've been playing Warframe for the past month, basically the same game loop but not hot garbage.

I don't think even you can survive Riven grinding and fishing.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

I don't think even you can survive Riven grinding and fishing.

:v: Riven grind is nothing compared with Fortnite grind.

To be fair, you can just grind other stuff, sell it and buy a good Riven.

That could never work in Fortnite though, without a huge loot overhaul. Bring able to trade VBucks would get pretty messy I'd imagine.

Edit: I mean with x4 maps in Fortnite the grind has become a joke, so now the Riven grind would actually be worse yeah.

Major Operation
Jan 1, 2006

Not sure if planes are overpowered or not, but they definitely blow out the traditional "build height = safety" strategy which has been foundational since the early days.

Even if you aren't clumsily flying into things, plane guns are much better at building destruction that the traditional methods.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

InsertPotPun posted:

Yeah the new additions really thinned out the heat map, now people land a little more higgilty piggilty to see new stuff or use a favorite gadget. And there are big white and red crosses that make a great impromptu alt if you have too much heat on your favorite spot. It feels faster paced and less crowded.

Also I gotta ask: how many are "too many" for the Fortnite two factor sign in messages? I get like 3-4 a day and 2-3 on top of that every time I play.

If you're getting sent "here's your 2FA code" emails multiple times per day when you aren't playing you might want to change your password and any other account that you used that password on.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

araeris posted:

Even if you aren't clumsily flying into things, plane guns are much better at building destruction that the traditional methods.

Well if you do clumsily fly into things... the planes just destroy anything you fly into with them... Kamikaze should be a real strategy with them!

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I don’t get any of them and I’ve had 2FA for months.

Same here, I turned it on after someone hacked my account and completed my battle pass for me. Never gotten a single message.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Scratch that, my scatterbrain doesn't remember things.

gently caress builders. Tracked a guy through a rift, shotgunned him, he uses a rift to go. I follow him to wailing, he continually builds these simple structures that I keep tearing down and the process just repeats over and over til I finally get close to him and it was my own fault at that point for not connecting any shots. But I'll keep saying it, instant building is bullshit, broken bullshit that should never be

codo27 fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Dec 9, 2018

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

codo27 posted:

Scratch that, my scatterbrain doesn't remember things.

gently caress builders. Tracked a guy through a rift, shotgunned him, he uses a rift to go. I follow him to wailing, he continually builds these simple structures that I keep tearing down and the process just repeats over and over til I finally get close to him and it was my own fault at that point for not connecting any shots. But I'll keep saying it, instant building is bullshit, broken bullshit that should never be

Pick axe their wall or roof, replace with your wall or roof. Edit window into your wall or roof, shotgun them. Easy.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Same here, I turned it on after someone hacked my account and completed my battle pass for me. Never gotten a single message.

Lol at those good guy hackers doing the work for you

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Yeah, it was totally bizarre. I went to bed after playing, and I logged back in about ten hours later. My account was in a party with three 12 year olds and a good 1/3rd of the battle pass done, including the one where you had to have a whole team dance in a warehouse somewhere that I'd never have done otherwise.

No idea why they prioritized completing the battle pass over changing my password. They didn't even waste my vbucks.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Ohhh so close to tossing the controller just now. I'm my own worst enemy.

Play it safe, get a decent loadout, 3 extra 50s and a rift. Find my way to the dance hangar and hide out there in the top. Kill 2 guys with the RPG, one cleanly who never knew what was happening til he was gone. Almost wipe out another one with rockets, someone else comes in and I finish them both. Circle was good to me and now it's 1v1. Use my rift to go to the last tiny circle, guy has deployed a turret and does some damage but I safely top up my shield as I hear him coming around the corner. He's basically loving back on to me, and I panic too much to do any real damage, chase him up his ramp, empty the entire Joe Jesus clip of the p90 and hit nothing but air, then he shotguns me. Easy win down the drain

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005

codo27 posted:

Ohhh so close to tossing the controller just now. I'm my own worst enemy.

Play it safe, get a decent loadout, 3 extra 50s and a rift. Find my way to the dance hangar and hide out there in the top. Kill 2 guys with the RPG, one cleanly who never knew what was happening til he was gone. Almost wipe out another one with rockets, someone else comes in and I finish them both. Circle was good to me and now it's 1v1. Use my rift to go to the last tiny circle, guy has deployed a turret and does some damage but I safely top up my shield as I hear him coming around the corner. He's basically loving back on to me, and I panic too much to do any real damage, chase him up his ramp, empty the entire Joe Jesus clip of the p90 and hit nothing but air, then he shotguns me. Easy win down the drain

The final battle panic is real. I always forget to use my items, get fall damage, or just make plain bad decisions. When I play calm and don't rush it, things go so well.

A couple days ago I was playing doubles and my friend went out for an early death. Around top 10, I went on a suicide run flying my plane down onto a huge fort in leaky lake, but I messed up the glide and ended up under them with low health. Instead of fighting, I crouched and slid under a gap in their fort, then boxed myself in and healed up. The guys up top were running around looking for me and one dropped down to my level a square away, so I edited a wall and shot his feet for some quick damage, scaring him off. Suddenly another team comes blazing in, so I decide just to wait it out in the basement of their build. There's a war going on outside and I'm just hanging out. I see some eliminations pop up in the feed and go for a quick edit to shotgun + p90 to finish off the stragglers. Two teams left, I do the same thing just chilling watching the feed until I see only one is up. Launchpad over, take the highground on his build and put a couple sneaky shotgun blasts in his back to finish it up.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Running into people with planes to kill them is hilarious and I hope they don’t nerf it.

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

SeANMcBAY posted:

Running into people with planes to kill them is hilarious and I hope they don’t nerf it.

So far I'm about 80% miss, 10% success, and 10% they jump on my wings and kill me before I realize it.

Hella fun though.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Kinda disappointed with the options available to you in creative mode. Is there no way to shape the landscape? I wanted to make Facing Worlds, but as far as making the land between the towers, it'd have to be destructible ramps and poo poo.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Sword seems like a bad idea to put in all modes.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Sword seems like a bad idea to put in all modes.

Agreed. I hope they will have decency to disable it for $1m tournament tomorrow, although planes will already make that a shitshow since apparently I shouldn’t make any balance predictions ever.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

At least it has a 3 second animation to pull out of the stone (Dunno if it has the same after you kill someone and try to take it from them) but it just...Changes the dynamic of the game so much. And unlike Thanos you don't appear on the map so you could easily take it and just hide out for the last circle and just nearly guarantee a victory.

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

codo27 posted:

Kinda disappointed with the options available to you in creative mode. Is there no way to shape the landscape? I wanted to make Facing Worlds, but as far as making the land between the towers, it'd have to be destructible ramps and poo poo.

They've now added both indestructible props and a game mode setting to prevent breaking non-player-placed building pieces.

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Bad girls think that you're being a boob punch

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Agreed. I hope they will have decency to disable it for $1m tournament tomorrow, although planes will already make that a shitshow since apparently I shouldn’t make any balance predictions ever.

lmao, this dude rocking the sword + plane is fun as hell to watch, though.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Agreed. I hope they will have decency to disable it for $1m tournament tomorrow

:laffo: Nope! Shoulda put the Sword in an LTM. Fortnite esports continue to be a joke imo.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

eSports are a joke

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Nah, esports is a legit industry. Epic has just been making some really questionable decisions when it comes to Fortnite's pro scene. Having that much money on the line and throwing new balance changes into the mix on a whim is just dumb.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
Have they said how they're going to choose what custom thing gets picked to be on the map?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

The sword is the most fun I've had in this game by far. What a power trip. Can't get cocky once you're out of the initial mad dash and people have shields though

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005
The sword is really fun to use. I feel bad for the tournament guys but I like it in the regular game modes. Speaking of the tournament, the plane-neutrality pact was hilarious. People were flying around fake shooting at eachother so they could all stay alive into the end game. It wasn't even pre-planned between a couple players, everyone just realized that plane vs plane gets everyone killed so they avoided it.
Check out this amazing dogfight - https://clips.twitch.tv/NastyAnimatedTofuRitzMitz

Anyways the sword is fun. No fall damage on the leap is great. I got it a couple times in duos and chopped a bunch of people, but usually died when I missed my swings and got sprayed down between two enemies...it seems like assaulting builds or building yourself a maze to bait players into is the best way.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

You should not be able to build poo poo with the sword, what the hell. just watched a dude just kill and immediately build around him whenever he downed someone so he could finish them off without issue.

Major Operation
Jan 1, 2006

Just had a decent run with 6 elims when the sword guy caught up with me. Hung around to watch the sword kill 7-8 more people on that run. Few thoughts:

1) The hitbox on the sword is way too big. I watched multiple people get hit at what looked like the apex of their jumps on a ground swing. You can jump a plane but you can't jump the sword right now, it seems.
2) Probably needs a nerf to the shield/health on the sword. Down to 150/150 would be enough. If you get in pretty close with the sword but miss, two or three decent shotgun blasts should take you out.
3) Watching people panic build against the sword is like watching someone run upstairs in a campy horror movie. That's what the monster wants.
4) Seems like there might be a midrange that you should stay in against the sword so that the leap is too far but the swings aren't close enough? That or maybe I just haven't seen anyone figure out how to short hop with it.
5) Maybe balloons would be good against it? But what are the chances that someone watching you fight the sword guy doesn't shoot your floaty rear end first?

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Bad girls think that you're being a boob punch

araeris posted:

5) Maybe balloons would be good against it? But what are the chances that someone watching you fight the sword guy doesn't shoot your floaty rear end first?

Balloons and jetpacks are the way to combat the sword in the Close Encounters LTM. Plink away with a heavy shotgun and watch as they jump way too far into the zone during the later circles.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
I landed in Close Encounters. The circle was as far away as possible and I could not find a single jetpack or balloon pack so I just ran to the circle avoiding everyone. Eventually I found a balloon pack with a single balloon left.
I used that final balloon to hop into dusty divot. Where the sword guy was. I threw 13 pieces of dynamite and hopped around like an idiot before finally killing him.

I picked up the sword.
Was shot with a shotgun.
I swung the sword once.
The shotgun guy killed me.

gently caress this game.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

teagone posted:

:laffo: Nope! Shoulda put the Sword in an LTM. Fortnite esports continue to be a joke imo.

Yeah, it’s still the world’s second best funded embarrassment. I’m catching up last night clips and, well, as kids say these days “that’s a big yikers from me, dog”.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Shooting planes out of the sky will never not be awesome.

Shot one down last night and an umbrella-haver popped out. He was dead before he hit the ground

I’m not sure if I can ever go back to non motion controls. Tracking the planes with the switch motion controls is super slick.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

InsertPotPun posted:

I picked up the sword.
Was shot with a shotgun.
I swung the sword once.
The shotgun guy killed me.

gently caress this game.

Nah, it's like this is a Raiders of the Lost Ark simulator.

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!
Played a few solo squads last night for a daily challenge. I spent most of the matches just screwing around in a plane.

In the first game, the sword had been left just outside of the first circle. I figured it was a trap, but I swooped down and grabbed it anyway, figuring I'd gift it to whoever managed to take me down closer to the end, because being a mobile loot drop is sometimes fun. When the time came, they didn't take it at all. They built a 1x1 around it outside of the next circle, and ran.

The sword appeared in the final circles of none of the remaining squads I played last night.

Probably a wise choice.

The sword should have been in an LTM. No idea what they're thinking putting it in every game mode, including this week's tourney,

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

McGlockenshire posted:

Played a few solo squads last night for a daily challenge. I spent most of the matches just screwing around in a plane.

In the first game, the sword had been left just outside of the first circle. I figured it was a trap, but I swooped down and grabbed it anyway, figuring I'd gift it to whoever managed to take me down closer to the end, because being a mobile loot drop is sometimes fun. When the time came, they didn't take it at all. They built a 1x1 around it outside of the next circle, and ran.

The sword appeared in the final circles of none of the remaining squads I played last night.

Probably a wise choice.

The sword should have been in an LTM. No idea what they're thinking putting it in every game mode, including this week's tourney,

It was an okay marketing move since sites can now spam the ayy "whoah dude look at this dank sword totes wrecking the tourney of pros" lmao clickbait articles. Probably also helped the casters by accident, since they could just spout "insane play" whenever sword action was going on and not bother trying to understand the game.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
People always flip their poo poo whenever Epic adds anything that changes any of the gameplay.
It would suck if they never added any of this stuff and the gameplay got stale. So what if it disrupts people's sperglord training and OCD learning every tiny little thing to do?
The sword doesn't make you invincible and there are downsides. Same thing with the planes and turrets and other things that everybody whines about all the time.
It makes the game fresh.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Nullsmack posted:

People always flip their poo poo whenever Epic adds anything that changes any of the gameplay.
It would suck if they never added any of this stuff and the gameplay got stale. So what if it disrupts people's sperglord training and OCD learning every tiny little thing to do?
The sword doesn't make you invincible and there are downsides. Same thing with the planes and turrets and other things that everybody whines about all the time.
It makes the game fresh.

How different would you say was Fortnitemares from addition of six-shooter, as far as gameplay changes go?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735
I think the problem is a lot of the competitive folks have a vision of Fortnite (pure, serious) that is different from Epic's (sort of goofy with major swings to "The Meta" based on newly introduced items), but since there is so much money behind these events, they feel compelled to play even if they're miserable. And since the game is so wildly successful, Epic can sort of just do whatever the hell they want.

e: I do hate the sword though :)