Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Hah, nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
okay, I've started in on Retired Heroes and this chapter is top tier

https://mangadex.org/chapter/312532/4

the actual reason for the whole chapter is just :discourse:

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I cannot wait until we inevitably get to meet the mage prime minister guy having to deal with the rest of the party.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Mors Rattus posted:

I cannot wait until we inevitably get to meet the mage prime minister guy having to deal with the rest of the party.

They already alluded to that in chapter 2 when it was Saliy's turn to cook.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
that gyaru isekai manga got axed and they let them have one last chapter to send it off, wherein they just spelled out the entire plot it intended to go on and broke the fourth wall a bit, a lot more than most canceled series get. It wasn't a particularly noteworthy series, but there's far more worthy series of being axed than it, oh well.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Why are there so many manga focusing on Gyaru recently anyway?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

RatHat posted:

Why are there so many manga focusing on Gyaru recently anyway?
the same could be said for basically any trend, one series becomes popular with it, a bunch of copycats crop up. I'm not sure what was the gyaru thing that spurred on the various gyaru serieses though.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Galko-chan most likely

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
lol dang, speaking of canned(?) "comedy" isekai series, this one goes for it in its final few chapters alright. https://mangadex.org/title/31092/game-no-naka-ni-iru

the author has basically vanished since ending this series according to the translator across all their media accounts, despite really building up and going for all these characters for a while before the series and then it not working out and ending it like that. Could have isolated themselves, cut off all online contact, nobody knows what happened to them.

How many axed series actually go for the end with the rocks fall, everyone dies finale?

Sakurazuka posted:

Galko-chan most likely
yeah that's probably it actually. can't think of anything before that that was gyaru-focused like that.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Nov 20, 2018

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Captain Invictus posted:

that gyaru isekai manga got axed and they let them have one last chapter to send it off, wherein they just spelled out the entire plot it intended to go on and broke the fourth wall a bit, a lot more than most canceled series get. It wasn't a particularly noteworthy series, but there's far more worthy series of being axed than it, oh well.
Figured it was wrapping up since last chapter changed the tone, scene, and outfits

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
The Daughter of the Albert House Wishes for Ruin is a otome villainess isekai where our protagonist decides "hell yeah I'm going to be the best villainess ever". But she sucks at it, so it's good.

(It may sound familiar, both are good)

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

LibrarianCroaker posted:

The Daughter of the Albert House Wishes for Ruin is a otome villainess isekai where our protagonist decides "hell yeah I'm going to be the best villainess ever". But she sucks at it, so it's good.

(It may sound familiar, both are good)

This isekai subgenre really exploded after Bakatarina, huh....

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Genuinely shocked that there's an isekai that's not driven by the main character's solipsistic internal monologue.

They just talk to other characters like equals about their situation! It's so strange.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i always thought it was peculiar how albert uses an innately comical premise without being the least bit funny.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Lt. Lizard posted:

This isekai subgenre really exploded after Bakatarina, huh....

It's been around for a while in LN form, there's quite a good number of "girl gets reincarnated into otome villainness" type of stories just like how there's a lot of isekai w/ male MCs with a cheat power.

The difference being, it is the superior subgenre

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I've generally enjoyed the lady isekai stories more oddly enough because the whole "men do; women are" thing has forced them to try different, interesting directions in order to actually have some kind of story. This doesn't come with its own problems. We could really use the plot device that keeps making the Black Healer faint as an anesthetic because it's very efficient. The dude isekais have lots of status screens, level ups, and slave catgirls. The ones with ladies really like their homemade mayonnaise and hair conditioner. Are these classic home-ec projects in Japan or something? Speaking of the whole slave catgirl thing, is that some trope from Dragon Quest or something? I feel like I'm bringing that up too much, but some other isekai on Mangadex rolled in tonight and--BAM--slave catgirl chapter!

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Something something tropes something

There's this really cool, if dark LN of a protagonist who reincarnates as an otome villainness, but realizing what's up, she pulls some pretty drastic measures to change her fortune. Forgot what it's called, it's probably easy to find on NovelUpdate under the Otome tag though.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's a combination of author wish fulfillment and imitating the works where it was author wish fulfillment.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
caught up on Retired Heroes, honestly didn't expect it to get so dark as it did, seemed to be a pretty chill series the first handful of chapters, but pretty quickly ramped up into Serious Time. Not that it's necessarily bad, just not what I was thinking it would be. The party chapter was probably my favorite though. And for a chinese series, it apes a lot of japanese things like that specific rolleyes-tongue-sticking-out face that was some japanese mascot in the 80s(?) and showed up all over to this day as an "golly, did I do that? tee hee" type of face.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it is called a tehepero

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Compendium posted:

Something something tropes something

There's this really cool, if dark LN of a protagonist who reincarnates as an otome villainness, but realizing what's up, she pulls some pretty drastic measures to change her fortune. Forgot what it's called, it's probably easy to find on NovelUpdate under the Otome tag though.

Is it Eliza?

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
E: wrong threaaaaaad

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I forget where someone described it, but I recall someone mentioning a series about an older guy getting isekai'd and spending his time in the other world just chilling out and camping and stuff instead of being a big drat hero. I saw this one, Ossan in Counterworld which has elements of being chill and an older guy, but also has lots of decidedly unchill things like collateral damage from his heroics, accidental murder thanks to his literally infinite goddess-bestowed power, etc. It's not what I was initially looking for but is an interesting one anyways, not many of the isekais I've seen where the guy is literally given anything he wants and all the conveniences and even a minimap and tutorial buddy AND adorable mascot puppy, and decides to isolate himself from other people because he doesn't want to accidentally hurt anyone with his superhuman strength and utterly lethal magic abilities, there's not many chapters yet but it's a curious one at least, has potential but is a bit aimless so far. Has some brutal violence in it so be warned.

Anyone know of the other series I was thinking of though? I like the relaxed ones like that slime-killer for 300 years isekai too.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Nov 29, 2018

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
this seems cute. It doesn't really feel like a super noteworthy series or anything, but it looks to be a relatively mundane isekai as far as those go(with a smattering of survivor's guilt visions). A woman knight gets transported into the forest near a japanese farmer's place and, exhausted from fleeing enemies, asks to rest in his shed. She eventually discovers she's been reverse isekai'd into our world and hangs out here, learning about things on the farm and being extremely into his cooking(and probably him too)

also lol almost immediately she gets put in a tracksuit

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

->Romance
->Male lead in 30s
->Female lead is 18
:yikes:

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
No one is 12-years old and there is no slavery involved, so this is actually pretty healthy relationship by isekai standards.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah, I caught up to the current chapter and can see that being an issue(as does saeki, as he still thinks she's probably a crazy chuuni/cosplayer right up until she shoots a fireball out of her hand). It also looks like it'll turn into a harem thing if they add more girls, but the way it goes in the latest chapter is neat, Honomi going into government agent mode and basically saying "yo I believe she's from another world now and all but that also means she's a goddamned walking biohazard and you and I and she and all your plants now have to be quarantined, also she's not a human from this world and there aren't really laws for extraterrestrials so we gotta figure this out" which, well, I didn't expect. Also nice to see an amicable friendship between ex's play out naturally, it's a rarity.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Lt. Lizard posted:

No one is 12-years old and there is no slavery involved, so this is actually pretty healthy relationship by isekai standards.

Heh--I saw it and was like, "at least it's half plus seven this time." Then I realize I miscalculated.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Hahaha, I forget if it was this thread or another that mentioned the ideal sponger life. Sets itself up with a ridiculously bland isekai premise, implied harem first volume cover, regular salaryworker guy gets transported to another world to marry a perfect hottie, and she's a queen so he gets everything he wants, and he's even offered cute maids and concubines, there's gonna be fanservice and panty shots and generic anime romcom tropes galore!

And then it almost IMMEDIATELY switches into relatively mundane politicking and conflicting beliefs due to wildly varying upbringings in different worlds, and no why would I want concubines, I love my wife, and also a very cute romance between the two etc, completely at odds with expectations :allears:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
that Lady Rose Wants to be a Commoner series that was mentioned has some good promise too. I like that it's kinda anti-bakarina in that she's extremely calculating in GETTING her bad end and dodging love flags when she can.

The art is great, her reactions are fantastic, and check out this god drat face, it's like something out of Animaniacs

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
That manga captures the charm of the novel perfectly. If it continues like this it might end up one of the best manga adaptions of light/web novels.

Lady Rose is one of the best stories in that sub-genre (Villianess is happy with her bad ending) anyways.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Lady Rose is also great because she very clearly hates pretty much all of her potential love interests, except for Sexy Fluffy Man.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Captain Invictus posted:

that Lady Rose Wants to be a Commoner series that was mentioned has some good promise too. I like that it's kinda anti-bakarina in that she's extremely calculating in GETTING her bad end and dodging love flags when she can.

The art is great, her reactions are fantastic, and check out this god drat face, it's like something out of Animaniacs

Ok this is great. It goes in exactly opposite direction than Bakatarina and yet somehow arrives at the same destination. I also love how the protagonist outright acknowledges that while she had fun "capturing" the targets in the game, she actually can't stand them in "real life", because they seem to be pretty terrible choices (with one possible exception) for actual romantic relationship. And based on the last translated chapter, I fear that our poor heroine accidentally stumbled upon secret harem route. :allears:

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Only 3 chapters drat it all.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Retired Heroes any good?

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
It's decent. If you have time, read it. If not, don't.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
I find it fun. It's pretty fluffy, but there's enough stuff happening that it could keep people interested who need a little more than that. There's a good bit to the world and the characters, like the arc that just ended and a future arc it seems to be leading into, and I enjoy seeing a former King and an incredibly powerful adventurer just try to live a commoner's life, raise a daughter and protect the town they live in without bringing too much attention to themselves.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I'd say it's more than just "maybe read, maybe don't", it's solid and genuinely funny too, the action isn't particularly incredible but I really like most of the characters, especially their friends who show up later.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
new Max Level Witch

I very much enjoy the slice of life isekais

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
I've been looking forward to this arc.

(The latest official English LN just dropped too, though it's still a bit rough as far as writing quality goes. The manga's still the better version, I feel.)