Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Don't know if this was already posted, but v1.0 of the Thief 2 HD Texture Project was released a few weeks back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q63f-3_jzyk

In all honesty I think it suffers from the usual HD texture pack issue of making everything look far too busy, but I guess some people like that sort of thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

The Kins posted:

From one of the developers in that thread:

Yeah it's pretty old information, but the thread itself is still pinned so at least some of those features must still be in the works. I guess Quake maps are already supported.

quote:

Custom maps can be in regular Q1/Q3BSP form and are supported.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
So how is project warlock, I saw there was quite a lot of graphical issues to start with but it looks neat?

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Carecat posted:

So how is project warlock, I saw there was quite a lot of graphical issues to start with but it looks neat?

I've played through the normal mode about three times, and have gotten most of the way through its "Iron Man"-like difficulty. It's very good. They fixed the graphical issue of highest graphics settings being way too dark (making some levels an absolute slog). As of the patch a few days ago, I don't think there are any outstanding technical problems.

Pros:

-It's one of those games where every single weapon is useful. Each weapon can get "upgraded" once, where it gives you a choice of giving it one of two different upgrades that aren't just kicking up stats. Like the SMG can be upgraded to dual-wielding for more DPS or upgraded into a nailgun whose projectiles penetrate and bounce off surfaces. I've tried doing a magic playthrough and while that feels fine, it's not really my style. Someone else might have a better opinion.

-No real crappy gimmicks. I've been getting frustrated by indie "retro" shooters that throw in some dumb gimmick like randomization or by giving you magic/melee and you get like two bullets each for any of the guns you get. In this, there are enemies and you shoot them, and the game lets you decide if you wanna shoot bullets or shoot fireballs and that's nice.

-Designed levels. This shouldn't have to be a unique Pro, but after the rogue-like shooter craze, it's refreshing to play levels that are actually well-designed and fun to get better at and not having to wonder if the modern equivalents of SLIGE will actually give you enough ammo to kill the enemies it will spawn.

-The developer is super responsive and nice. You pretty much know when the next patch is coming and what's going to be in it if you check the GoG forums.

-Feels good. Sprites have great death animations and all of the weapons feel super good to use. The levels move at a good pace so that the only times you're not killing are the times you're backtracking to check out secrets.

-Pretty much any other positive thing you've heard.

Cons:

-There are gaps in level design. Sometimes, you'll find a secret that will teleport you to the last room of the level you're in, but you can't backtrack to pick up items/secrets you may have missed..

-There needs to be something between Standard and Hardcore. Standard just lets you play through the game and the lives that you pick up don't really matter. If you die without any lives, you start back at the beginning of the level you're on. Standard will probably be a bit easy for most people in this thread, with some exceptions later on in the game. Hardcore feels like a nice difficulty, but you have to start from scratch when you die.

-Bosses can be boring. Most of the time, you just circle-strafe and win.

Chinook posted:

I have such great memories of Blood but the difficulty is really rough. Even on medium-ish settings, the hitscan cultists just tear you apart. I guess I try to play it too much like Doom. And really the only way to play is to hide, toss dynamite, and hide. I don't want to do that, though.

I've played the first couple of levels countless times, and then burned out after the third or fourth stage.

Same. I keep forgetting I have to play Blood in its own way. It doesn't help that the game can be frustratingly stingy with ammo in some stretches.

Plan Z fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Dec 8, 2018

Szymanski
Jul 31, 2005

You down with OCP?
Sugartime Jones

Noice

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf
I used to think that about Blood but after finally buckling and playing the whole thing for the first time a few months ago I realized that's really just the first episode, which is poorly designed imo. Ammo is extremely scarce, it's chock full of cultists and they're often arranged in obnoxious or outright unfair encounters. Once you get into the later episodes a few things change for the better: ammo becomes much more plentiful, several new enemy types which are a lot less frustrating to fight get introduced and the enemy composition becomes more balanced.

If you're like me and the first episode was putting you off from trying the other ones, give them a shot. You'll probably like them a lot more than the first one.

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

So I've been replaying Blood recently (thanks to those Pro Blood videos getting me inspired).

The broadly agreed strategy for Stone Gargoyles before you have the Tesla cannon is Voodoo doll alt-fire and guns to finish it off. I used this on the one at the end of E2M7 (I'm staying on Lightly Broiled for the time being), and have been saving Tesla ammo for the rest.

Then, I ran into the one behind bars on E4M7, and decided to see how long it would take to kill him with regular Voodo doll attacks. This took a matter of seconds, and used ~50 Voodoo doll ammo.
Further experimentation indicates it takes three Voodoo dolls worth of alt-fire to kill one Stone Gargoyle. (On Lightly Broiled. Initially tested on BloodGDX, verified on DOS version).

Conclusion:
Voodoo doll alt-fire is terrible.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Nostalgamus posted:

Conclusion:
Voodoo doll alt-fire is terrible.

That's because it got nerfed hard. In the original unpatched Blood the voodoo doll's alt absolutely trivialized bosses.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Finished DUSK episode 3. It's great. That's really all I can say about it right now...DUSK is absolutely worth it, and I can see myself replaying it once a year or something like that for a long time.

Sikreci
Mar 23, 2006

What am I looking at here? I haven't been following any new releases for awhile.

Edit: :doh:

Sikreci fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Dec 9, 2018

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Cacoawards

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Cocoawads?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Cokeawards.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Dusk is a blast, the last two levels are completely kick rear end and the twist made me throw up the horns. Just a quality shooter straight up and if you haven’t played it you should

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
I really wish duskworld was up to snuff with the single player, but it's completely broken. It reminds me a lot of quakeworld with how it feels like I'm playing on dialup, so that's kinda cool I guess.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the dusk devs actually seem to 'get' old fps games and actually made a modern-day game that perfectly recreates what they were like while being otherwise a very solid and fun experience without any of the hassle involved with getting some of those older games to run. i'm only a couple levels into episode 3 but it rules so far.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Johnny Joestar posted:

the dusk devs actually seem to 'get' old fps games and actually made a modern-day game that perfectly recreates what they were like while being otherwise a very solid and fun experience without any of the hassle involved with getting some of those older games to run. i'm only a couple levels into episode 3 but it rules so far.

It's good BUT there's this weird thing where there's all these free packs for doom, eduke and quake that do the same thing but better. I didn't mind paying $20 for this but I could also see my self downloading it as a quake level pack (the levels are the star). The bosses and graphics are really rough in DUSK though, the bosses are all basically the same thing and the graphics (models, animation, effects) are (intentionally?) worse than quake I guess that makes it easy to make and have everything fit together.

What I'm trying to say is I wish there was a way to compensate the people who spent 100s of hours to make these really great level packs or TCs for other old games so I could continue to enjoy the old school shooter gameplay and new ways it can be expanded.

Flannelette fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Dec 9, 2018

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I mean TerminusEst13 would probably tell you his Venmo if you asked.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i'm more than willing to give people money for actually doing something right and going out of their way to add full modding capabilities on top of it all. there being years worth of free content for other, older games definitely doesn't invalidate the work people are putting in right now to make something new.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
I would definitely toss a couple of bucks a month to the patreons of the folks making some of these high-quality megawads and such. Not only would it let me show my appreciation, but maybe stuff like BTSX3/TSOZD would come out if there was money in it for them :v:

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Ep3's proactive disabled guard dog is probably the most adorable enemy of the year.

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

worst song, played on ugliest guitar

Convex posted:

In all honesty I think it suffers from the usual HD texture pack issue of making everything look far too busy, but I guess some people like that sort of thing?

I dunno. Looks OK to me. It really highlights what I love about that era of shooters, which is the economy of the brushwork. Squeezing as much variety and detail as they could into 200 some polys per frame. I've never actually played a Thief game, is it worth checking either of the early ones out? I imagine I could run them even on my shitbucket intelHD laptop.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

joedevola posted:

I dunno. Looks OK to me. It really highlights what I love about that era of shooters, which is the economy of the brushwork. Squeezing as much variety and detail as they could into 200 some polys per frame. I've never actually played a Thief game, is it worth checking either of the early ones out? I imagine I could run them even on my shitbucket intelHD laptop.

They first two are some of best games ever, all time top 20 material, apart from being genre-defining how to do stealth in first person, so yeah.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Thief 3 is also a good game, even though it's not as much of an all-time great as Thief 2 or even 1.

Speaking of which, this was a pretty good piece on the differences between Thief 1 and 2: https://medium.com/mammon-machine-zeal/a-stairway-to-the-unconscious-thief-the-dark-project-20-years-later-6bd1f92783e9

It didn't change my mind on Thief 2 being better than Thief 1, but it did make me think about why I feel that way.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Lemon-Lime posted:

Speaking of which, this was a pretty good piece on the differences between Thief 1 and 2: https://medium.com/mammon-machine-zeal/a-stairway-to-the-unconscious-thief-the-dark-project-20-years-later-6bd1f92783e9

quote:

Sometimes you have to wonder if people who are predisposed to violence don’t at least partially get it from how monotonous and uninspired the design of our buildings and public spaces are. 

:chloe:

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
The guy who did all those idtech source code reviews is publishing a doom book

https://twitter.com/fabynou/status/1071649008588869632?s=19

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg
What could this be? Blackroom? Something Doom related?

Blood 5?

https://www.instagram.com/p/BrIwqqugPrf/

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Daikatana 5

Barudak
May 7, 2007

site posted:

Daikatana 5

Ok there was PC, GBC, and N64 versions which were different enough we could call them 1-3, but Im still missing one to get to 5.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Barudak posted:

Ok there was PC, GBC, and N64 versions which were different enough we could call them 1-3, but Im still missing one to get to 5.

"There will never be a fourth release."

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Barudak posted:

"It's so good, we skipped a sequel."

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
No see in this one it's you and four superflys

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

It’s obviously 5 nights at Freddie’s the FPS.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Star Man posted:

"It's so good, we skipped a sequel."

Oh the Leisure Suit Larry approach, nice

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Didn't Romero do a Doom wad the past year? Maybe he didn't do it by pure coincidence. Maybe he has a contract to Bethesda, and they are planning to re-release classic Doom, packaged with a modern engine (which one allow for commercial projects?) and the 5th official Doom episode, added to the original three and the 4th one of Doom Ultimate.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Turin Turambar posted:

Didn't Romero do a Doom wad the past year? Maybe he didn't do it by pure coincidence. Maybe he has a contract to Bethesda, and they are planning to re-release classic Doom, packaged with a modern engine (which one allow for commercial projects?) and the 5th official Doom episode, added to the original three and the 4th one of Doom Ultimate.

Huh. A 5th Doom episode huh? Alright, I’m listening. Tell me more.

Argus Zant
Nov 18, 2012

Wer ist bereit zu tanzen?

Turin Turambar posted:

Unless I’m grossly out of the loop, he hasn’t released anything in 2018. He put out two WADs in 2017, but those were both single-map replacements for E1 (E1M4b, “Phobos Mission Control”, and E1M8b, “Tech Gone Bad”).

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Turin Turambar posted:

He did a couple of Doom maps (E1M8b and E1M4b) in 2016 or so to warm up for his Blackroom project that never eventuated. My guess is that this is a revival of that.

I doubt it's an official Doom thing, Bethesda apparently has some odd politics around the former Id guys, but I'm open to being wrong.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Remember that Kickstarter he abandoned when he realized that it was going to take some effort. At least he did it before taking anyone's money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timn
Mar 16, 2010

Lemon-Lime posted:

It didn't change my mind on Thief 2 being better than Thief 1, but it did make me think about why I feel that way.

This was a pretty interesting read. I've always much preferred Thief 1 because of the greater emphasis on the fantastical. The feeling of using your wits to explore and overcome the bizarre unknown was always much more compelling to me than when games just play their premise straight. Not that Thief 2 completely lacks that feeling, but the story and environments feel far more on rails to me in the sense that they generally obey conventions and expectations.

I feel like Thief 1 really achieves something special by training the player's expectations on the initial premise and then unraveling itself into the strange and mysterious. Many of the missions in Thief 1 really feel like you're trespassing into the unknown, like you're the wrong person with the wrong tools heading into something that's way over your head.

Contrast with immersive sims in which the player's tools and abilities are clearly fit for the environment. It's usually pretty transparent that world was made for you and that you're supposed to be there. At its best in Thief 1, you really feel like you're scraping by in a place where you're not supposed to be.