Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

AFancyQuestionMark posted:

Okay, so I am a piece of poo poo for pointing out that Iran and Russia are more involved in the Syrian Civil War than the US at the moment?

thank you for this valuable insight into my character, guy who accuses others of child exploitation and cooperating with isis while knowing full well your words are twisted bullshit

he actually did exploit the bana alabed story and brought her up on stage infront of a bunch of horrific DC pigs, a child who has no conception of why she’s up on a platform with eoin higgins. the “donald trump please rain airstrikes down upon syria” girl, who definitely wasn’t being cynically used. that was awesome stuff

and the isis recruiter thing is absolutely real lol read the article. it wasn’t that hard to find out who he was and his hosed up tweets predated the isis recruiter reveal

your qualifier that “russia and iran are more involved than the US at the moment” is the point here. not only is that debatable though i guess we probably are going to throw the kurds under the bus, but the main reason why the place is so hosed up that it became a huge proxy war is due to the pre-eminent #1 global hegemonic superpower laying death, destruction and covert hijinx across the region for decades. “at the moment” is a way of bookending the possible range of discussion to absolve us of having to put the conflict in context

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kindest Forums User
Mar 25, 2008

Let me tell you about my opinion about Bernie Sanders and why Donald Trump is his true successor.

You cannot vote Hillary Clinton because she is worse than Trump.

idk, he is just an obviously disingenuous shithead, like with the article about the isis recruiter posted here recently

Brown Moses hosed Up. He's supposed to be an expert at social media and twitter and facebook and insta and google and ms paint. A jihadists started posting poo poo that served BM's narrative, and BM willy-nilly took his word at gospel and suggested other people to follow the jihadist. BM being the super loving internit wizard should have taken an hour and investigated what's that dude's deal is. But he didn't cause BM doesn't actually give a poo poo about journalism, he's only interested in finding pieces of information that serve his narrative.

So Aimes is a disingenuous shithead because he's calling out journalistic fraud? Why does BM get a free pass?

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Just to get this straight, you're saying the US is more involved with Syria than Iran and Russia atm?

the us did it's best to turn syria into a failed state just like it did with libya and still has a massive military presence there. were you one of the turds that cheered on the libyan intervention as well? how much attention do you pay to libya now if so?

Kindest Forums User
Mar 25, 2008

Let me tell you about my opinion about Bernie Sanders and why Donald Trump is his true successor.

Brown Moses. Someone with no professional background in journalism, chemical weapons, weapons, foreign conflicts, geopolitics. Doesn't speak Arabic. I don't think has ever even been to the conflicts he talks about.
His loving background is posting on Something Awful. And you're mad that people are giving him a healthy dose of criticism? what da fuq

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Kindest Forums User posted:

Brown Moses. Someone with no professional background in journalism, chemical weapons, weapons, foreign conflicts, geopolitics. Doesn't speak Arabic. I don't think has ever even been to the conflicts he talks about.
His loving background is posting on Something Awful. And you're mad that people are giving him a healthy dose of criticism? what da fuq

he's p dumb but also posting murder fantasies about other posters is kinda weird and dumb too

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.

mila kunis posted:

the us did it's best to turn syria into a failed state just like it did with libya and still has a massive military presence there. were you one of the turds that cheered on the libyan intervention as well? how much attention do you pay to libya now if so?

I have literally never cheer-leaded any US intervention into anything. The only recent US interventions I view even remotely semi positively are the gulf war and Kosovo.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

I have literally never cheer-leaded any US intervention into anything. The only recent US interventions I view even remotely semi positively are the gulf war and Kosovo.

why would you need to when there are some much closer to home

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.

He also posts all of his research publicly and explains how he arrives at his conclusions, so you can read that and decide whether his reasoning is suspect or not. This is far more than most reporters grace us with, and you accept many of them at their word.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.

Jose posted:

why would you need to when there are some much closer to home

I can't parse this post

Kindest Forums User
Mar 25, 2008

It's so weird and convenient that it's only pasty dough boys like BW that are provided with institutional support for their "journalism". hmmm. strange. I wonder why that is. he must just be so smart. Like I said, he has absolutely no background in this field. But for soooooome reason every alphabet soup affiliated organization are throwing money and resources at him. Whats his secret? I'm good at googling and wikipedia. why can't i have the money?

THS
Sep 15, 2017

I can't parse this post

i believe it

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

if thats the case then its really not hard to see that bellingcat is part of a propaganda complex designed to drum up and justify support for those interventions

Kindest Forums User
Mar 25, 2008

Bip Roberts posted:

he's p dumb but also posting murder fantasies about other posters is kinda weird and dumb too

I'm referring to Ames

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.

It's so weird and convenient that it's only pasty dough boys like BW that are provided with institutional support for their "journalism". hmmm. strange. I wonder why that is. he must just be so smart. Like I said, he has absolutely no background in this field. But for soooooome reason every alphabet soup affiliated organization are throwing money and resources at him. Whats his secret? I'm good at googling and wikipedia. why can't i have the money?

He only got that support after he already did several in-depth pieces with information that was freely available online. So, who knows? If you're so good, try it and maybe you'll be making the big bux. I am sure RT or whatever could scrape up the cash to fund you if you're that good, if the Atlantic Council is not to your liking.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.

I'm referring to Ames

Ah yes, Mark "like to sexually harass my russian employees because that's just the culture over there, man" Ames, truly a man worth looking up to.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.

mila kunis posted:

if thats the case then its really not hard to see that bellingcat is part of a propaganda complex designed to drum up and justify support for those interventions

I don't see how, unless you think that opposing intervention means pretending that war crimes aren't happening in these conflicts, or that the only possible remedy to war crimes is intervention.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Ah yes, Mark "like to sexually harass my russian employees because that's just the culture over there, man" Ames, truly a man worth looking up to.

lol this really proves you ahve no idea wtf you're talking about

Kindest Forums User
Mar 25, 2008

hmmmm i don't think you're getting my point.

Anyways. Since Brown Moses is on this forum. Maybe he can do a little experiment for us. Why don't you direct Bellingcat to focus on Palestine and Yemen for just one year. One year is all I'm asking. Let's just see what happens.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Jose posted:

lol this really proves you ahve no idea wtf you're talking about

he probs did gently caress 15 year olds tho

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2017/12/the-destruction-of-matt-taibbi.html

THS
Sep 15, 2017

wow lot of ad hom attacks against mark ames itt

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

THS posted:

wow lot of ad hom attacks against mark ames itt

hey man, if you want to spend years writing "ironic" first person pedophilia narratives that's your business

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
; 'He spoke about his sex life in Moscow. “Russian women, especially on the first date, expect you to rape them,” said Mr. Ames. “They’ll go back home with you and say, ‘No, no, no,’ and if you’re an American, you’ve been trained to respect the ‘No,’ because you’re afraid of sexual harassment or date rape, and so you fail over and over. But it took me a while to learn you really have to force Russian girls, and that’s what they want, it’s like a mock rape.'

reposting this again in case you missed it earlier.

Yes, I truly believe that this man intended sexual harrasment as a metaphor for *checks notes* he American colonial project in Russia. Sure.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

i wouldnt pretend to go to bat for the personal character of mark ames or whatever, the best case scenario is that he was writing hunter s. thompson style fiction which is gross in and of itself. he's apologized for it, disavowed it, and said it was bad. whether or not you believe him is whatever. that doesn't invalidate pointing out how badly brown moses hosed up on shamiwitness or that brown moses isn't going to deviate far enough away from his paycheck. generally the adage holds true that if a person's salary is predicated on his not understanding, he won't

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
while we're all here, radio war nerd is loving fantastic and everyone should give it a listen

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
dolan and tabbai are cool but ames always was gross and is less so now but is honestly still pretty gross

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

mila kunis posted:

while we're all here, radio war nerd is loving fantastic and everyone should give it a listen

16 minutes

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
I guess what I am trying to get at is that bellingcat, regardless of any inherent bias, do investigative journalism and show their work and research so you can read and see how they came to their conclusions.

This is already more than 95% of journalists do, including ones posted in this thread.

I think something like that has inherent value. That doesn't mean they're to be absolutely trusted in everything though. As others pointed, they can be conspicous in the topics they report less or not at all on.

I just wish posters here also applied their healthy skepticism to other sources posted here, especially when they are funded or tend to be consistently aligned with certain states interests.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

THS posted:

i wouldnt pretend to go to bat for the personal character of mark ames or whatever, the best case scenario is that he was writing hunter s. thompson style fiction which is gross in and of itself. he's apologized for it, disavowed it, and said it was bad. whether or not you believe him is whatever. that doesn't invalidate pointing out how badly brown moses hosed up on shamiwitness or that brown moses isn't going to deviate far enough away from his paycheck. generally the adage holds true that if a person's salary is predicated on his not understanding, he won't

I mean this is just how it goes. If you can defend the stuff, then you attack. Mark Ames and Taibbi wrote some gonzo satire that's aged extremely poorly, it's gross, and they both apologized for it and gave some context as to why they wrote it. Not a single woman involved with them in Russia in business or elsewhere that could be found says they did any of that stuff they wrote about. At that point the assertion that they're rapists and pedophiles is based on actively not believing women and the imagination of a couple of idiot 20 year olds. It has nothing to do with Ames's abilities as a journalist, or the strength of his arguments and evidence and just about bad past behaviour.

At that point you're committed to passing judgement on everryone based on the bad things they wrote 18 years ago, which is a hell of a moral commitment. Best of luck being consistent about that because inevitably the media people you trust will turn out to have done lovely things in the past.

I just wish posters here also applied their healthy skepticism to other sources posted here, especially when they are funded or tend to be consistently aligned with certain states interests.

has it occurred to you that we do and we just don't agree with your assessment?

I very much don't trust partisangirl, that video that ignited this whole posting spree seemed posted more as a joke and to laugh at the hacks that use Syria as a playground for their politics than anything else.

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I guess what I am trying to get at is that bellingcat, regardless of any inherent bias, do investigative journalism and show their work and research so you can read and see how they came to their conclusions.

This is already more than 95% of journalists do, including ones posted in this thread.

I think something like that has inherent value. That doesn't mean they're to be absolutely trusted in everything though. As others pointed, they can be conspicous in the topics they report less or not at all on.

whatever eliott

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dreylad posted:

I very much don't trust partisangirl, that video that ignited this whole posting spree seemed posted more as a joke

wrog

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

hmmmm i don't think you're getting my point.

Anyways. Since Brown Moses is on this forum. Maybe he can do a little experiment for us. Why don't you direct Bellingcat to focus on Palestine and Yemen for just one year. One year is all I'm asking. Let's just see what happens.

Here's our crowdsourced information about the situation Gaza and the ongoing Hamas terror campaign. As you can see from this IDF drone video, we can't rule out the hospital was used to support Palestinian militants - this pixel here may be a ventilation unit, or perhaps more likely it may be a ground to air missile battery. We eill never know, and for this reason we give the IDF an A in collateral damage control

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
See, this stuff is good because you can read it and go :thunk: which you can't with most other reporting on these conflicts.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
nuke this thread like hillary wanted to nuke syria

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

wow, incredible coincidence the interventions you happen to think are good are the ones the media still holds up as the good interventions. how does it always line up so perfectly lol

swimsuit
Jan 22, 2009

yeah

how much for access to partisangirls private snap op??

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

BM is biased in the same sense the every other journalist is biased, but that doesn't mean you can treat his findings and the posts of, say, partisangirl or Mark Ames, with the same validity. Especially when the latter put out deliberately misleading and disingenuously framed content on the regular.

all perspectives are biased but not all perspectives are equally valid. unless you can show the bellingcat are US government stooges, I don't see why I should disregard his reporting out of hand, the way I would for some of the people regularly posted in this thread.

please provide examples of people in this thread sincerely citing partisangirl as a reliable source. since it's so prevalent you should be able to find at least five. if you can't do this you're banned.

you have until midnight est december 11.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7Mx6nluRGc

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 25 days!)

I was loving around about all the logical fallacy stuff, but this dude's first response to the nakedcapitalism article is to call Mark Ames a dudebro lmao

Jose posted:

i think he's israeli so of course he loves imperialism

Is AFancyQuestionMark the Israeli who didn't understand how Israel is so right wing in the I/P thread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
partisangirl:

The last one is tongue-in-cheek probably

Mark Ames:

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)