Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Pick posted:

The crazy thing is Lwuxana is only in 9 episodes total, between TNG and DS9. Memorable though.

It definitely helped that she was Gene’s wife, Nurse Chapel, the computer, and a fairly visible part of the franchise as a whole from TNG-onwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It definitely helped that she was Gene’s wife, Nurse Chapel, the computer, and a fairly visible part of the franchise as a whole from TNG-onwards.

And Pike's Number One who was a pretty good pretty major character

I haven't seen her much as Nurse Chapel except for one where she gets obsessed with brushing her hair and looking in the mirror a lot and not saying very much. I'm hoping that changes after TOS S1

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Jesus... I'm finally watching that Black Mirror "USS Callister" episode. Yikes.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It's a good episode.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Good, yes. Supremely hosed up? Well, it's Black Mirror, so...

Edit: WOW. What a loving ending, that was a thrill ride.

Brawnfire fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Dec 7, 2018

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Just saw an Orville season 2 commercial during the Jaguars weekly drubbing

It's so soon. I'm happy about that.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKfkkhEbUlY

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

The Bloop posted:

Just saw an Orville season 2 commercial during the Jaguars weekly drubbing

It's so soon. I'm happy about that.

It’s a casting thing, so I don’t think it counts as a spoiler, but I wasn’t aware until recently that Alara won’t be in season 2 at all because the actress was busy with another gig while they were filming. They cast someone else as a different character of the same race.

It really sucks because I thought Alara was one of the best aspects of the show thus far.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

No I think she did a few episodes before being replaced

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

No I think she did a few episodes before being replaced

You’re right, I misread. She’ll be in the leftover season 1 episode and a couple others, but her role on the ship will be taken over by another character after that.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Laterite posted:

What an all-time twist in the holosuite, though!

Meridian is a bad episode but that B story is almost worth it for that scene.

tasslex
Apr 23, 2003

He's watching YOU

I've never seen this before, and it's so good!

I thought this was an ad for a Fathom screening or something, how have I not seen a trailer for Star Trek VI before. What a treat

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Brawnfire posted:

Good, yes. Supremely hosed up? Well, it's Black Mirror, so...

Edit: WOW. What a loving ending, that was a thrill ride.

Watching that episode got me into playing Bridge Crew in VR. :D

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Defiant -
Hell yeah, Tom Riker.

He steals the Defiant on behalf of the Maquis, and inadvertently pulls our pals into the middle of some Cardassian political intrigue.

Fascination -
Ok, now this is a horny episode...which of course means Lwaxana is in town! No big deal, just a case of empath hot flashes which send everyone into a tizzy.

Past Tense -
Wolfe & Behr, in 1994: Hm, what's a good concept for a time travel episode? How about, 30 years from now, the US is a stratified fascist society with an isolated and oppressed underclass? It's just outlandish enough to work!

Me, in 2018: :stonklol: :stare:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Senor Tron posted:

Watching that episode got me into playing Bridge Crew in VR. :D

If I can be a petty, abusive tyrant then I'm in.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

You don't need a video game for that, friend.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Just rewatched Galaxy Quest. It's still the best Star Trek movie.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
That's a funny way to spell Forbidden Planet.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
it would be more accurate to say that star trek is still the best forbidden planet tv show

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
it would be more accurate to say star trek is something nice and fun that we enjoy and it is good star trek exists

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

After The War posted:

That's a funny way to spell Forbidden Planet.

as movie #0 forbidden planet is even

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The best DS9 episode is the one where Jake and Nog try to get a baseball card for Ben.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Nodosaur posted:

The best DS9 episode is the one where Jake and Nog try to get a baseball card for Ben.

That one is great, however the best episode is Civil Defense

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Nodosaur posted:

And they run into Weyoun in the process. It's always hilarious and terrifying when he runs into the kids.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Ghost Leviathan posted:

And they run into Weyoun in the process. It's always hilarious and terrifying when he runs into the kids.

I love the part where he tries to pull the "we're not so different you and I" with Winn and she just calmly smiles, grabs his ear, and goes "No, we're not. :)"

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Laterite posted:

Past Tense -
Wolfe & Behr, in 1994: Hm, what's a good concept for a time travel episode? How about, 30 years from now, the US is a stratified fascist society with an isolated and oppressed underclass? It's just outlandish enough to work!

Me, in 2018: :stonklol: :stare:

I love "Past Tense." It seems like the writers knew how plausible the scenario was, but I may be wrong about that.

Fun fact: I got caught scrambling for a costume for a Halloween party years ago and ended up going as Ben Sisko as Gabriel Bell. The hosts were also huge nerds so I knew they'd get the joke. I found a Sanctuary District logo online and made an ID badge that read,

SANCTUARY DISTRICT A
NAME: BEN SISKO
TOTALLY GABRIEL BELL FOR SURE

Otherwise, I just wore my normal street clothes.

:allears:

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Railing Kill posted:

I love "Past Tense." It seems like the writers knew how plausible the scenario was, but I may be wrong about that.

In the middle of the filming of the episode, the mayor of Los Angeles announced a proposal to set up a a special fenced in district for the homeless to make the city better for business and provide centralized homeless services.

Fatigued
Feb 5, 2010
Nap Ghost
I've been slowly making my way through Voyager, it's the only Star Trek series I haven't watched besides Discovery. It's been a bit of a slog, but I just watched the episode Fury and man that's probably the first one to really annoy me, probably because Kes is one of the few characters I liked. Usually the bad episodes are just dull. What a disappointment at what they did with her character.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I’m alternating between Deep Space Nine and Voyager and let me tell you, going from “Parturition” to ”The Visitor” just perfectly highlights the vast gulf in quality between the two shows.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

Phylodox posted:

I’m alternating between Deep Space Nine and Voyager and let me tell you, going from “Parturition” to ”The Visitor” just perfectly highlights the vast gulf in quality between the two shows.

Well, yeah, but for perspective, how about a head-to-head with the best Voyager episode vs. the worst DS9 episode?

What would those even be, I wonder?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

tarlibone posted:

Well, yeah, but for perspective, how about a head-to-head with the best Voyager episode vs. the worst DS9 episode?

What would those even be, I wonder?
Tinker Tenor Doctor Spy and Move Along Home.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I wonder if the writers room for Voyager kept tabs on DS9 and got really self conscious.

VOY staff: poo poo, did you guys see that 10 part finale for DS9? We gotta bring our A-game.

Also VOY staff: lets hire the rock to wrestle 7 of 9

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

HD DAD posted:

VOY staff: poo poo, did you guys see that 10 part finale for DS9? We gotta bring our A-game.

That was a powerful A+ game choice not really sure what you're trying to say

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

HD DAD posted:

VOY UPN staff: we have two main demographics, Star Trek and Wrestling. CROSS PROMOTION! SYNERGY! NERDS, WRITE AN EPISODE WHERE THE ROCK WRESTLES THE BOOBY LADY!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Yeah, I can't find any fault with that.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I was watching a best of Voyager for something in the background that I didn't have to pay too much attention to. It's not a bad show when you only watch like 30 selected episodes.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."

HD DAD posted:

I wonder if the writers room for Voyager kept tabs on DS9 and got really self conscious.

Yeah from my understanding its not that the writers were incompetent or anything, they just didn't care.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Evek posted:

Yeah from my understanding its not that the writers were incompetent or anything, they just didn't care.

That's worse. Being incompetent but trying is much better than being competent but not giving a poo poo. The absolute privilege of writing for Star Trek, and phoning it in.

Though I'm not sure they were, apparently the writers were very excited to write new stories for Seven when she came. Probably just had poo poo bosses aka Berman

Alan_Shore fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Dec 10, 2018

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Alan_Shore posted:

That's worse. Being incompetent but trying is much better than being competent but not giving a poo poo. The absolute privilege of writing for Star Trek, and phoning it in.

Though I'm not sure they were, apparently the writers were very excited to write new stories for Seven when she came. Probably just had poo poo bosses aka Berman

That’s pretty much what I gathered. It was the perfect poo poo storm of directives from Berman, corporate pressure from UPN, and what amounted to trying to squeeze something fresh from what was essentially TNG season 14.

Enthusiasm and motivation to even try was pretty much nonexistent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Evek posted:

I mean, it's more that they had every bit of give a poo poo beaten out of them by Rick Berman.