Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
lol Jesus

https://twitter.com/davidakin/status/1071442784274378753?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

James Baud posted:

If you buy the unrefined Alberta stuff, this won't even cost you much more than 4L of milk!

does it also come in bags?

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

But thats not how you set up a union or split off from an existing one or get one decertified. :shepface:

klockwerk
Jun 30, 2007

dsch
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10161299821860077&id=818775076

quote:

You can clearly see some of the sponsorship logos in these pics.

This morning as I was leaving the house, a piece on the news came up about the Stars Air Ambulance service and how they had helped as rapid responders in the Humboldt tragedy. For those not familiar, Stars is largely privately funded and as I caught a peek of an up close image of the chopper ambulance, I noticed the following corporate sponsors:

Shell Canada
Trans Canada Energy
Enbridge
Conoco Phillips
Canadian Natural Resources ltd
Crescent Point Energy
Exxon Mobil

along with many others.... Between 2016 & 2017 Stars has flown over 1500 air missions to people in medical distress in Alberta alone, not to mention their missions in Sask and Manitoba. For those who like to demonize the energy industry, consider how many deaths may have occurred if companies like the above decided not to support this service.

You know who's corporate sponsorship is “ABSENT”?

David Suzuki Foundation
Leadnow
Tides Canada
Greenpeace Canada
Pembina Institute
etc...

In fact none of these so called 'save the planet' organizations spend a dime to fill the gaps within our communities. As those holier than thou types look to drive Canada's energy industry into crippling positions, maybe they should ask themselves if the organizations they support will lift a finger to support the critical infrastructure services that Canadian Energy Industry companies do to the tune of several hundreds of millions via direct contribution and taxes? The answer is, not a chance...

Shared by family on FB. All hail energy. Let's defund ambulances while we're at it and smother them in corporate logos to save taxes.

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

A rock has no detectable opinion about gravity
How dare nonprofits refuse to sponsor private services that should be public?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
tiny brain: imagine how many air ambulances we could have if we properly taxed those companies and used their taxes to fund an air ambulance system

big brain: private companies are good because they pay for what should be public services

huge brain: how can you have an air ambulance without the oil to fill its gas tank

galaxy brain: if you want an air ambulance you should use your oil salary to buy your own helicopter

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
universe brain: we don't need air ambulances if we stop sending people to pull lovely tar out of the rear end end of nowhere

smoke sumthin bitch
Dec 14, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
how is the albertan secessionist movement doing?

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
there were a few proponents that posted in canpol back in the early-mid oughts, I haven't seen any since.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
their entire economy is built on selling a nearly worthless commodity that no one wants, and they're entirely landlocked to boot. if they really think ditching the nation that's keeping them even marginally afloat is going to improve things, i say let 'em fill their boots. if nothing else we'll never have to hear another word about transfer payments

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Dreylad posted:

there were a few proponents that posted in canpol back in the early-mid oughts, I haven't seen any since.

The Alberta-dominated Conservative Party winning and holding power for nine years federally really did a number on the previous 25 years of "Ottawa is loving us" momentum.

Also one can't understate how much more influential the Byfields' [X] Report magazines were than anything Ezra Levant has done. Arguably because they were in it to build movements, Ezra just wants money?

Edit: Could be a class thing, TV vs readers?

James Baud has issued a correction as of 18:09 on Dec 9, 2018

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

smoke sumthin bitch posted:

how is the albertan secessionist movement doing?

I don't know but it certainly isn't doing it fast enough.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
I'm no agricultural scientist but Alberta's biggest export crop is wheat, which optimally grows around 20-25 degrees, and their summer temperatures are projected even under optimistic (i.e. unrealistic) scenarios to increase to a summertime average of 30 or more by 2050, which is around the temperature when farming wheat becomes nonviable. Combine that with dryer soil and more flash floods and cold snaps and it's not entirely clear the province will be able to even feed itself in half a century, never mind the fact 25 percent of their economy is directly tied up in their energy sector.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Helsing posted:

I'm no agricultural scientist but Alberta's biggest export crop is wheat, which optimally grows around 20-25 degrees, and their summer temperatures are projected even under optimistic (i.e. unrealistic) scenarios to increase to a summertime average of 30 or more by 2050, which is around the temperature when farming wheat becomes nonviable. Combine that with dryer soil and more flash floods and cold snaps and it's not entirely clear the province will be able to even feed itself in half a century, never mind the fact 25 percent of their economy is directly tied up in their energy sector.

iirc GMO wheat is predicted to be able to withstand 30 degree C heat for longer so that should be less of an issue going forward. Anything beyond that is trouble, though. And of course, as you say, it doesn't help with flash floods or the droughts that are sure to come once the glacier melt disappears.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Helsing posted:

The Peace River area has a combination of decent soil and cooler temperatures that could probably keep 'em going just fine despite the slightly shorter growing season, but going back to our earlier discussion, these changes will happen over the course of many decades. People can adapt.

Maybe I should look into this further and buy some farmland up there...

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

James Baud posted:

The Peace River area has a combination of decent soil and cooler temperatures that could probably keep 'em going just fine despite the slightly shorter growing season, but going back to our earlier discussion, these changes will happen over the course of many decades. People can adapt.

Maybe I should look into this further and buy some farmland up there...

The numbers I'm using assume we immediately reduce our carbon footprint massively so the real numbers will be higher, and the changes I'm describing are all projected to occur within thirty years not "many decades" from now, and of course you're completely ignoring that rapid and unpredictable fluctuations in temperature and precipitation will be a huge problem. Somehow I have a feeling you're not really comprehending what it likely means for our society to "adapt" to that.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Helsing posted:

The numbers I'm using assume we immediately reduce our carbon footprint massively so the real numbers will be higher, and the changes I'm describing are all projected to occur within thirty years not "many decades" from now, and of course you're completely ignoring that rapid and unpredictable fluctuations in temperature and precipitation will be a huge problem. Somehow I have a feeling you're not really comprehending what it likely means for our society to "adapt" to that.

Ah, I missed the 2050 timeframe in your post. What ridiculously pessimistic model of extreme stacked on extreme is that based on? As of a couple years ago the most extreme "global population of 30b consuming like 1990s Americans" predictions were for a ballpark 3.5 degree increase by 2100.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

James Baud posted:

Ah, I missed the 2050 timeframe in your post. What ridiculously pessimistic model of extreme stacked on extreme is that based on? As of a couple years ago the most extreme "global population of 30b consuming like 1990s Americans" predictions were for a ballpark 3.5 degree increase by 2100.

Looks like you're correct, numbers aren't being represented properly. Like a true poster I shall keep my above posts in place as a testament to my embarrassing error though.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

A Russian troll farm posted:

*Drives his $70,000 turbo-diesel pickup truck with $20,000 dollars of modifications to the grocery store and leaves it running outside*

I'm being taxed... TO DEATH!

This is always what I think of when I think about Rig Pig economics.

Insurance company offers $5,500 for truck appraised at more than $40,000

Guy overpays for a Dakota. No big deal, it happens. I'm guessing a significant portion of that money was tied up in the giant rims and tires.

Then...

quote:

He initially planned to use it as a winter vehicle. But when the economy started tanking he decided he might be able to use it to make a few bucks. [..]

"I figured sooner or later I was going to end up losing my job, which turned out to be true," said Booth.

"I wanted to build the truck and have it ready to go for when that happened," he added. "Because the way I had built the truck was to be an off-road recovery vehicle.

"Like if someone is stuck in a ditch or they're stuck in a swamp, I can go pull them out for a fee and try and make my ends meet."

I mean, it's dumb but I guess. What's a winch, jumper cables and a tree hugger strap worth?

quote:

He said he spent $30,956 at Camrose Chrysler, $5,514 at Fountain Tire, $4,392 at Double T Auto Body and $3,790 at Shocker Mechanical.

autism ZX spectrum has issued a correction as of 13:53 on Dec 10, 2018

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

quote:

"It was fun. It put a big smile on my face driving down the road. Terrible fuel mileage but it was a great truck."

Love this guy, hope it works out for him.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

deeeefinitely not an insurance scam

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Eh, if they're willing to charge higher premiums on the stated/appraised value, honour it and the appraisals or deny the claim outright if you think it was bogus (good luck, though).

What was the outcome, full payout?

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
They actually just hosed the guy over and he didn't read the fine print

quote:

The policy provided coverage of either the appraised value of the vehicle or the actual cash value at the time of the loss, whichever is less, he said.

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

A rock has no detectable opinion about gravity
All this time I thought you guys joking about truck equity was just hyperbole to mock Albertans

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

EvidenceBasedQuack posted:

All this time I thought you guys joking about truck equity was just hyperbole to mock Albertans

Nah, a truck salesman used to post in the debt bubble thread and residents of Alberta are BWM.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

EvidenceBasedQuack posted:

albertans would never joke about their trucks

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

THC posted:

whatever you saw from them, it gets worse:

re: Shepherd's attempt to schedule a talk by Faith Goldy at her school

That class also literally exists, they teach the charter in like 100 level intro courses, as well as having higher level courses dedicated to it. Talk about whining.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

https://twitter.com/perreaux/status/1071979211374628864

someone post the gif of the thunk face exploding

what happened
Dec 2, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo
just in case anyone was wondering what happened to leah mclaren

https://twitter.com/RosieBarton/status/1072140748219387905

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Who?

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I try my best to not think of any of the bourgeois morons who pass for opinion columnists but thanks op

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Leah "Watching the dispiriting moral fumbling match that passes for a Conservative Party leadership campaign this spring, I’ve often found myself reminded of the time I tried to breastfeed Michael Chong’s baby" McLaren

what happened
Dec 2, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo
http://www.billdoskoch.ca/2006/02/25/leah-mclaren-is-quitting-the-blogosphere/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...m=.80925ef0960c

quote:

Since the Jian Ghomeshi scandal erupted, there's been a great deal of talk about the explosive "cultural conversation" that's taking place across the country on the subject of sexual harassment and abuse. It's been a great catharsis in many ways – and I am impressed by the women who've come forward in that case. I'm astonished at the courage it must have taken for those women to stand up and accuse an adored cultural hero of sexual assault. And let me be very clear: I am not comparing the nature of my experience to theirs. There is world of difference between an unwanted fondle and a closed-fist punch to the head.

At the same time, there was – and is -- something about the "conversation" that bothered me. Something hypocritical and queasy-making. I couldn't quite put my finger on it until I read an essay about the Toronto media community's moral complicity in the Ghomeshi scandal and the culture of sexism and abuse it exposed. The essay – which many friends were passing around admiringly on social media -- was written by the man who'd groped me.

The sheer hypocrisy of that fact took my breath away. Reading the piece also made me understand what had been bothering me about the so-called "cultural catharsis" all along. There were so many victims, so much righteous moral outrage and hyperbole, but apart from Ghomeshi, where were all the perpetrators? I suddenly knew what we were missing here and that was an honest admission of guilt.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/women-shouldnt-have-to-wait-years-for-sexual-offenders-to-apologize/article21511954/

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/the-miserable-story-of-my-very-last-all-nighter-ever-i-swear/article742959/

Mclaren managed to get a job at the globe and mail (because her mom was an editor) writing dumb poo poo, way before anyone could just do it on twitter.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Postess with the Mostest posted:

Leah "Watching the dispiriting moral fumbling match that passes for a Conservative Party leadership campaign this spring, I’ve often found myself reminded of the time I tried to breastfeed Michael Chong’s baby" McLaren

omg i somehow managed to forget about that, thank you for reminding me of the greatest moment in canpol history

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Postess with the Mostest posted:

oh, you mean Leah "I once sold my own house through my real estate column in the Globe" MacLaren

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I fondly remember back when Frank magazine would dunk on Leah regularly when she was a new editorialist or whatever.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

i wonder why the telus ceo doesnt want canada to get into this huawei thing

https://twitter.com/Tom_Parkin_/status/1072179413540847616

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Already the US, Australia and New Zealand (frickin New Zealand!!) have banned Huawei from 5G expansion which is 3/5 of the Five Eyes so we better do it too.

It would be absolutely ridiculous to allow a company that is basically an arm of the PLA to have any sort of control over the most important communication upgrade in a generation.

Smash Telus/Bell/Rogers, gently caress their billion. It has the potential to cost us way, way more if we give away the keys to the front door.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

What powers does Xi have over Huawei that Trump doesn't have over Cisco?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

bring back nortel