Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robert Deadford
Mar 1, 2008
Ultra Carp
I only recently got into this, thanks to them bundling the Legacy ops into it at no extra cost. First I played the base game, then the Legacy campaign, and now I've modded the hell out of WoTC and I'm blasting through it.

I love the way you can build soldiers with the XCom skills - I have a Run and Gun Grenadier, an In The Zone ranger, my Templar rolled Bladestorm at Lieutenant. I'm using Mechatronic Warfare and my Spark is completely unstoppable. I'm still finding Skirmishers to be somewhat underpowered compared to Templars and Reapers, which is a pity. Mox is a useful guy to have around - very mobile, flexible and so on - but he's not very good at killing things.

I'm also using the Goon character pool. I made Lowtax my Psi Trooper, and I cackled like an idiot when he stasised someone and shouted "Protected".

EDIT: What are all you idiots doing just standing there?

Robert Deadford fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Nov 27, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Gwaihir posted:

Yea, I was using detailed soldier lists but I disabled that one to see if it was causing the problem. Is there a good way to further clean poo poo out/does disabling it in the launcher not nescesarily fix overwriting issues ingame?

Remove Missing Mods for WotC will at least tell the game save that you don't want it to check for the removed mod anymore.

Cirrhosis Johnson
Jan 9, 2014
I got banned from the XCOM2 Steam forums for asking this, so I'll pose it here:

I keep getting an error message on startup that reads "[0006.42] Warning: Warning, Not a Portcullis build". Does anyone know what this may mean? (I purchased the game through Steam, which I wouldn't normally point out but since I was banned from the Steam forum for "Promoting piracy" I thought I'd include it)

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
It doesn't mean anything. (If your game is crashing, it's totally unrelated).

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Does anyone know why Gotcha Again (WOTC) isn't working for me? I have it downloaded and enabled on the launcher. It simply doesn't have an effect in game. It doesn't show me when I have a flank on an enemy, and it never shows if a movement will activate a pod that is currently seen by a concealed Phantom or Reaper.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

BlazetheInferno posted:

I love the concept of RPGo, but for all the immense control it gives you over every aspect of your character, the randomized Squaddie perks that you have no control over have a big enough impact on your soldier that the inability to control those at all drives me up the wall, triggering some OCD-like reaction in my brain.

The entire point of the mod is to have complete and total control over every statistical element of your character's progression, except let's throw something in at the very start that's completely random and you have no control over, THIS ISN'T RIGHT! AUGH!

You're not wrong, but I get around that by using the expanded console commands mod to reroll a soldier's starting perks.

Like if someone gets Pacifist.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Anyone know whther you lose Legacy Ops points if a sectopod walks over an objective and forces a mission restart?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Last I played you don't lose any points for mission failure, only for a manual restart.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

Zomborgon posted:

Anyone know whther you lose Legacy Ops points if a sectopod walks over an objective and forces a mission restart?

i dont think so, forced restarts aren't a problem. it's only when you restart through the menu before a failstate that incurs the -5000 penalty.

e:fb

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
Finished my randomly generated Legacy Op last night. The final mission was... The Forge? Just straight up, cutscenes and all? I wasn't aware you could get storyline missions as Legacy Ops.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

"Bradford jesus christ we did that mission last week"

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

So my A team had just done the Blacksite mission - one KIA, multiple wounded, everyone exhausted. Ive still got alien base assault missions left, so I send out B team.

Desert map, I spawn half a map away. My Advent commando spawns ... Right outside the entrance of the facility, surrounded by pods. If he moves 3 tiles in any direction, he'll activate them.

So I set up on a ridgeline, and overwatch for a few turns. I figure, their patrol will see him, activate, and Ill hit them from behind. They arent seeing him though, moving just barely around him, so I have him open the door. Pod right inside, he cant move at all. I wait another turn.

Then the inside pod moves away. Commando sneaks inside, weaving between the alert squares. Makes it to the x4 point.

My B team hasnt done anything, just watched this commando summon them for the assault. They watch him press the button, base goes nuts. 4 pods, 20 xeno, reinforcements getting called in. Bradford says evacuate, so B team deploys zone, rappels out.

Commando is surrounded, activates his shields. Xeno are affected by tactical paralysis, commando runs for the escape zone. More pods discovered, enemy reinforcements landing. They are shooting at him, missing 90% shots, hes almost there. Im in shock, evac zone in sight.

And then, freeze grenade. They surround him, start taking shots. Entire base is distracted from our escape, and the explosives ticking away. And then the whole base goes up in flame.

Bravest thing Ive ever seen o7. Commando knew he was going to die, we dont even know his name, and he just wanted a witness to his final deed. He took out 30+ xeno by himself, putting him in the strongest tier of resistance heroes, and he will be remembered.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I love this giant clusterfuck of mods playthough I'm doing so much. Today's adventures included: Realizing that selling your GTS also disables all the upgrades it provided, and then having to do a landed UFO with 48 aliens vs a 4 soldier squad. Also the lost were there.

Just a normal everyday stroll in the woods you know. Not pictured, the RIftkeeper Mk II and pack of boas behind this one inside the UFO.

Luckily, I also have along 2 absurd murderbot soldiers, and an uber tanky templar with bladestorm to just park in the middle of ALL THE poo poo and give no fucks.

Between A Better Advent/Campaign/Lategame enemies/bonus pod size by force level you just get the most insane smashup fights and it owns. The next mission had a quad venator (Super codexes with much nastier abilities) + two elite priest pack, a 3 sectoid + riftkeeper MKII pack, and a spectre prime + quad elite spectre pack all within range of each other and ho boy at least I had my full squad back for that mission because even with OP RPGoverhaul max level characters that would have gone to complete poo poo.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

Gwaihir posted:

Super codexes with much nastier abilities

no thanks. :argh:

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

Gwaihir posted:

I love this giant clusterfuck of mods playthough I'm doing so much. Today's adventures included: Realizing that selling your GTS also disables all the upgrades it provided, and then having to do a landed UFO with 48 aliens vs a 4 soldier squad. Also the lost were there.

Just a normal everyday stroll in the woods you know. Not pictured, the RIftkeeper Mk II and pack of boas behind this one inside the UFO.

Luckily, I also have along 2 absurd murderbot soldiers, and an uber tanky templar with bladestorm to just park in the middle of ALL THE poo poo and give no fucks.

Between A Better Advent/Campaign/Lategame enemies/bonus pod size by force level you just get the most insane smashup fights and it owns. The next mission had a quad venator (Super codexes with much nastier abilities) + two elite priest pack, a 3 sectoid + riftkeeper MKII pack, and a spectre prime + quad elite spectre pack all within range of each other and ho boy at least I had my full squad back for that mission because even with OP RPGoverhaul max level characters that would have gone to complete poo poo.

Okay but seriously is deadeye still poo poo compared to lightning hands? Previously I've always taken it because if you really want something dead it's good for that but should I be taking lightning hands usually?

TescoBag fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Nov 29, 2018

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
The number of situations where I find my sniper in pistol range that I'd be able to use a free lightning hands shot is just vanishingly small personally. It's way way more common that I really want a big hit on some particular thing in squadsight range.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Deadeye is also pretty great if you happen to get it on a Ranger, because the close range accuracy of shotguns will easily make up for the aim hit.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Deadeye is kind of meh early on when missing stuff is a real concern, but once you get a good sniper decked out with a scope, aim PCS, and/or tracer rounds it's loving insane.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Angry Diplomat posted:

Deadeye is kind of meh early on when missing stuff is a real concern, but once you get a good sniper decked out with a scope, aim PCS, and/or tracer rounds it's loving insane.

I found it was pretty clutch for those times when a new enemy type pops in just before you upgrade your weapons. The damage boost usually let's you kill then in one round a ton easier. And it gets crazy big with later weapons.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
alternately just train for both!

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

In base XCOM 2 deadeye vs lightning hands is basically a "long term vs short term" choice because the aim penalty is way too much when you get it, while deadeye works better with standard snipers better once you can keep a 100% hit chance with it. But since the difficulty of the game is all frontloaded I always pick lightning hands. Even if it's not 100%, a free shot is always nice to have since there's no downside to fishing for good luck with it.

But in WOTC it's just whynotboth.gif yeah

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Gunslinger snipers are great, screw you all.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Fuzz posted:

Gunslinger snipers are great, screw you all.

Basically my snipers are just gunslingers who lug around a rifle for some reason until mid/late game, when they actually start getting enough aim bonuses that the squadsight and deadeye penalties can be ignored.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

At the end of the day both skills really do the same thing. It's a little bit more damage on a moderate cooldown. Lightning hands is more reliable and can be used on the move at the expense of placing your dude where they can get shot and being crippled by enemy armor, but you won't be hurting no matter which you pick.

(Both, you should be picking both. No such thing as too many good damage skills.)

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

My current game I have way too many Sharpshooters, and oddly most of them have XCOM skills that synergize better with Gunslinging than Sniping. I've started using my EXO suit on them (don't have powered yet) because it's a better use for the heavy weapon than tying up any of my other guys, since at least the Gunslingers can Lightning Hands a free shot before torching/rocketing an area. I also hand them a mimic beacon or an underlay and use them as my multipurpose "go undaze this other person and still drop a shot and go on overwatch" or "Carry this motherfucker." I do wish that they could still fire the pistol while carrying someone. No real reason why not, and it would add another fun use for them.

A fun thing I randomly found out is that if you give an Extra Ordnance Grenadier the Freeze Bomb in their grenade slot, they get 2 of them. With the extra blast radius and range they are stupidly useful, particularly out of concealment before you alert a pod since then it will sometimes last 2 rounds instead of just one, plus you can nail the entire pod, usually.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

158 hours in XCOM2 and it just now occurred to me to use a mimic beacon offensively, to force melee enemies into a Bladestorm.

ugh why didn't I think of this sooner?

:negative:

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

:shepface:

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Bwhahaha, finally find a mod combination that didn't corrupt saves. I have now (finally) beat WOTC :v: Fun little ending.

Tried the first mission of the new DLC, got my face stomped. Clearly I'm not in the right mindset after clowning on the final mission of WOTC :v: Too used to 25 hp 6 armor megakillers.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Is there a way to stop this?

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
You've got a hosed up mod somewhere.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

DJ Dizzy posted:

Is it doing that post mission or when you go to the photo booth on the Avenger?

One of the bigger photo booth mods does that if it's only affecting the photo booth (I think Re:booth?). Of it's a post mission thing it means you have too many mods and too big of an asset overhead. I used to get it all the time with LW2 in Vanilla but it can be triggered by a bunch of weapon/cosmetic packs if they're big enough

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I have a Protect the Device mission with the Lost and I've killed everything. All the aliens are dead, and I've scouted the entire map and there aren't any straggler Lost pods. The mission won't end and it continues to send Lost swarms at me. What can I do? Is there a cheat that forces a mission to end? This is stupid.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

DJ Dizzy posted:

that used to happen to me when i had to many mods loaded.

Guiness13
Feb 17, 2007

The best angel of all.

Node posted:

I have a Protect the Device mission with the Lost and I've killed everything. All the aliens are dead, and I've scouted the entire map and there aren't any straggler Lost pods. The mission won't end and it continues to send Lost swarms at me. What can I do? Is there a cheat that forces a mission to end? This is stupid.

I had this happen once, and it turned out that one lost pod had spawned in an area of the map blocked by walls. I got lucky and blew up the right wall to find them.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Node posted:

KillAllAis
Endbattle xcomwins true

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Oh, Ho-oh oh oh, oh whoa oh oh oh
I'll get 'em caught, show Oak what I've got
I'm getting ready to finish my Legendary war of the chosen campaign. Somehow I managed to lose the TLP weapons halfway through and now the game thinks I haven't completed the legacy ops. Also it's been over a year in game time and apparently I have not managed to bring a single turret back to the Avenger :confused:

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Have any of you folks played with any of the mods that let your classes equip other weapons? If I don't have an arbitrary penalty (like the mod deciding off-class weapons can't crit, or -10 aim) is there any reason ever to not give my reapers and skirmishers the bog standard rifle? Is there any stat where it's not strictly superior?

Exposure
Apr 4, 2014

Dancer posted:

Have any of you folks played with any of the mods that let your classes equip other weapons? If I don't have an arbitrary penalty (like the mod deciding off-class weapons can't crit, or -10 aim) is there any reason ever to not give my reapers and skirmishers the bog standard rifle? Is there any stat where it's not strictly superior?

It's not shown in the menus but Vektor Rifles have a really high crit damage compared to other weapons: they do damage on par with a sniper rifle critting. So a variable worth considering if you have any Reapers who can stack crit chance as much as they can.

Bullpups are outmatched by ARs if there's no penalties involved, however.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Exposure posted:

It's not shown in the menus but Vektor Rifles have a really high crit damage compared to other weapons: they do damage on par with a sniper rifle critting. So a variable worth considering if you have any Reapers who can stack crit chance as much as they can.

Bullpups are outmatched by ARs if there's no penalties involved, however.

So is it worth giving Reapers Talon Rounds to stack the crit percentage, or giving them AP Rounds to bypass the annoyingly-high late-game armor? I’ve always defaulted to AP Rounds for anyone that isn’t a Ranger, with a few Tracer Rounds tossed in here and there as filler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I think that skirmisher double fire is linked to their bull pup.