Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Decorus posted:

After googling for it, I posted about finding any existing Ultramar heraldry in the 40k thread, but apparently there's no such thing.

I'm not sure how much it helps, or if you found this already, but I came across this, which is supposed to be on Macragge? I guess it's one of the Horus Heresy books, but I'm scraping the bottom of the barrel with the 40k stuff I remember:

The pillars have some symbols that you could use as a basis? Zoomed out, it looks like one of them is a gauntlet with an up arrow cut out of it, but if you look closely it's actually a full Space Marine standing around. In any case, the shield and laurel wreath could work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

I thought I would try to help with the heraldry, so:

EDIT: Sorry for the image fail.

Twincityhacker fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Dec 9, 2018

Enentol
Jul 16, 2005
Middle Class Gangster

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

Cross-posting my golden boys and girls:

Coming in late to this sicknasty post. Beautiful work.

What's your recipe for the lion pelt?

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Avenging Dentist posted:

I'm not sure how much it helps, or if you found this already, but I came across this, which is supposed to be on Macragge? I guess it's one of the Horus Heresy books, but I'm scraping the bottom of the barrel with the 40k stuff I remember:

The pillars have some symbols that you could use as a basis? Zoomed out, it looks like one of them is a gauntlet with an up arrow cut out of it, but if you look closely it's actually a full Space Marine standing around. In any case, the shield and laurel wreath could work.

What the gently caress is happening on that cover? :wtc:

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Obviously, Robot Guillotine or however his name is spelled is really excited about something and the gold guy is tolerating Robert's excitement while his servants tie his shoes.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Enentol posted:

Coming in late to this sicknasty post. Beautiful work.

What's your recipe for the lion pelt?

Thanks! If I remember right it was zandri dust, washed with thinned seraphim sepia, skavenblight dinge for the nose/eyes/claws, first drybrush with rakarth flesh, then with screaming skull.

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?
Cross posting my first model for Imperial Knights for 40k. This guy painted surprisingly fast. Which is good, cause I still have three more to go, and then two full-sized Knights on top of it.

Badablack
Apr 17, 2018

Jesus, is that how big primarchs are supposed to be?

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015

Doctor Zero posted:

I wondered the same.

It's funny how hard it is to create a 40k Imperial emblem that doesn't look like a nazi/neofascist flag. I tried having the eagle carry
The ultra in its claws, but that just looks like an actual nazi flag. Phoneposting, so no pics.

The silver orb on a blue field looks harmless and pretty nice. For some reason I hadn't considered going just blue with the base color.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Doctor Zero posted:

"Sir, I do not care if you're a Primarch and a child of the Emperor himself, the law requires you submit to a personal search."

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Decorus posted:

It's funny how hard it is to create a 40k Imperial emblem that doesn't look like a nazi/neofascist flag.

Don't you think that's on purpose? You can't get much more fascist than the Imperium of Man.

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015

Furism posted:

Don't you think that's on purpose? You can't get much more fascist than the Imperium of Man.

I'm sure it is. I wasn't expecting it to be this hard though.

No matter which slider I move they all just make things more nazi.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Guilliman is crowning Sanguinius emperor of the Imperium Secundus. And all the boys are going wild

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Is there such a thing as clear primer?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Sanguinius has tiny legs.

Also one of his wings is coming out of his spine and the other out of his left shoulder

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
How are inceptors so awful to paint when intercessors are so amazing? I haven't touched a brush in 3 weeks because I just look at those fuckers spiked up on paperclips and nope out.

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?

Badablack posted:

Jesus, is that how big primarchs are supposed to be?

I believe that primarchs are to space marines as space marines are to unaugmented humans, so the scale looks about right (humans going up to mid chest on marines, marines about that on primarchs).

Duct Tape posted:

Cross posting my first model for Imperial Knights for 40k. This guy painted surprisingly fast. Which is good, cause I still have three more to go, and then two full-sized Knights on top of it.

Also this is great! Are you planning to do any transfers on this guy when everything is done? Some red dust on the ankles and feet might look good too, since you've got some weathering going on with the rest if the model.

Legendary Ptarmigan fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Dec 10, 2018

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

This might be a weird question, but what (if anything) do people use to minimize dust/other particles from getting all over their work area? I'm finding a lot of accumulation of "fuzz" from fabric projects that ends up kind of everywhere. Would an air filter help? So far I just use a can of compressed air to blow it off my work area every so often, but that's annoying since it also blows all the little model parts all over too!

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Getting around to finishing up all the extra commanders I've got unpainted

chippocrates
Feb 20, 2013
Chiming in to primerchat - it's too cold here for spray primers and an airbrush + compressor seems like more cash than I'm willing to invest in the hobby now. What brush primers would the thread suggest and do they need thinned before applying?

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Vallejo Surface Primer is good. You can also go outside for just the brief window you need to prime and then take them in to dry (try this on something you don't care about first to be sure).

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?

Legendary Ptarmigan posted:

Also this is great! Are you planning to do any transfers on this guy when everything is done? Some red dust on the ankles and feet might look good too, since you've got some weathering going on with the rest if the model.
I've never used transfers before, and I keep meaning to. I would apply them before weathering, so it's off the table for this guy, but I might apply them on my next Armiger.

And bought a bunch of rust/orange pigment powder specifically for weathering. But the couple tests I've done with it have turned out awful. I need to get way better with it before I use it on a model I care about.

Avenging Dentist posted:

Vallejo Surface Primer is good. You can also go outside for just the brief window you need to prime and then take them in to dry (try this on something you don't care about first to be sure).
I've got an overhang over my porch, and I've successfully primed/varnished out there when it's 50° out and raining. Just spray and bring everything back inside to dry (be sure the room it will dry in has plenty of circulation, unless you love drying paint fumes).

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
hello thread

I recently bought a bunch of plastic army men (about 30mm?) because I wanted to try both miniatures wargaming and maybe dip my toes into painting without blowing a wad of cash on the Soul Wars box (yet!)

Would I still be using acrylic paint for this? Any advice for this sort of thing in general? I was thinking details like painting the guns black and brown and detailing the uniforms and whatnot.

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.

Avenging Dentist posted:

This might be a weird question, but what (if anything) do people use to minimize dust/other particles from getting all over their work area? I'm finding a lot of accumulation of "fuzz" from fabric projects that ends up kind of everywhere. Would an air filter help? So far I just use a can of compressed air to blow it off my work area every so often, but that's annoying since it also blows all the little model parts all over too!

Dust is awful. It gets everywhere and you can never win. Unfortunately the largest source of dust in your home is you, all your dead skin and fallen hair, so the rooms you spend the most time in get the most dusty.

There is no solution but to dust regularly. Whenever I finish all my currently active projects I give my desk a comprehensive dusting and wipedown before assembling any new models.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

gradenko_2000 posted:

hello thread

I recently bought a bunch of plastic army men (about 30mm?) because I wanted to try both miniatures wargaming and maybe dip my toes into painting without blowing a wad of cash on the Soul Wars box (yet!)

Would I still be using acrylic paint for this? Any advice for this sort of thing in general? I was thinking details like painting the guns black and brown and detailing the uniforms and whatnot.

First things first would be to get some primer so paint doesn't just flake off them, but yep Acrylics are the way to go. Black, Grey or White spray or brush on primers are a thing of preference, but for getting started I'd go with black as it'd be more forgiving.

If you want to just try out painting one of the cheap starter paint sets is probably not a bad option. The newer one with the clippers is a bit dearer, but has more colours and a better variety.

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Aos-Paints-tools-Eng-spa-port-latv-rom-2018

Then if you do like it you'll have the basic tools and a good range of useful paints to work with. I'd recommend getting a pot of Agrax Earthshade and Nuln Oil shades too, because they will give you some depth to your models with little effort and have the added advantage that you wont walk away from your first attempt too disappointed.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Thanqol posted:

Dust is awful. It gets everywhere and you can never win. Unfortunately the largest source of dust in your home is you, all your dead skin and fallen hair, so the rooms you spend the most time in get the most dusty.

There is no solution but to dust regularly. Whenever I finish all my currently active projects I give my desk a comprehensive dusting and wipedown before assembling any new models.

Hair is worse.

I have a dog that sheds like a maniac. I always have a tweezers handy for pulling off strands that get into basing glue or primer. It's a losing battle, even though I brush her often.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I want a fuckin’ clean room.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Thanqol posted:

There is no solution but to dust regularly.

See, if my ex used that argument we would have fought much less about what constitute an acceptable amount of dust on the furniture.

Team_q
Jul 30, 2007

Floppychop posted:

Hair is worse.

I have a dog that sheds like a maniac. I always have a tweezers handy for pulling off strands that get into basing glue or primer. It's a losing battle, even though I brush her often.

Yeah I had an issue with dog hair, then the old fella died. :(

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
hey everyone, thanks for all the advice, sorry i constantly am posting questions instead of content or what have you

ive been painting a death guard army (my first army ever!) in the glooming lords color scheme--black armor with heaviliy verdigris'd brass highlights. it's fun, but i'm having a hard time highlighting black--gw says to use elysian then administratum grey for highlights, but mistakes stand out so prominently on the black. i want the armor to look worn, not like i have trouble coloring inside the lines. any advice/video guides/etc? should i try drybrushing instead of edge highlighting?

my other option is to try a color scheme i'm more comfortable with. i used to paint military display models, and ended up using a lot US field drab type schemes, like the one below. any advice on how to get that color pallette in the ~Citadel System of Paints?~

thanks for helpin out a newbie everyone

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Not-helpful helpful advice: if you want historical military colors, just use Vallejo Model Color ... it's what it's made for.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
A Deff Dread is done! Lots of fun to paint and build, I am definitely gonna paint another of these.

Next up: more boyz, I guess. :suicide:

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

hey everyone, thanks for all the advice, sorry i constantly am posting questions instead of content or what have you

ive been painting a death guard army (my first army ever!) in the glooming lords color scheme--black armor with heaviliy verdigris'd brass highlights. it's fun, but i'm having a hard time highlighting black--gw says to use elysian then administratum grey for highlights, but mistakes stand out so prominently on the black. i want the armor to look worn, not like i have trouble coloring inside the lines. any advice/video guides/etc? should i try drybrushing instead of edge highlighting?

my other option is to try a color scheme i'm more comfortable with. i used to paint military display models, and ended up using a lot US field drab type schemes, like the one below. any advice on how to get that color pallette in the ~Citadel System of Paints?~

thanks for helpin out a newbie everyone

I started with this whole painting things, what, a year and a half ago so this is pretty fresh in my mind.

Here's what I did: I got my big ol' starter set and I went nuts. I painted every model in a completely different chapter colour scheme and used different techniques. At the end of it I had a rainbow nightmare that did not form a coherent army at all.

I also think it was the best thing I could possibly have done to learn. It got me used to not just how all the bottle colours translate to what they look like on the model, but also how different techniques work, and most importantly what I liked to paint. Once I'd spent a few months going through my starter set, my favourite dude by far was the one I did in a blue fallen Ultramarines look - so I opted to commit to the blue, stripped everyone except that one guy, and then painted everyone in a much better and far more experienced version of his colour scheme.

It's not what'll get you a handsome looking army on the table in the shortest time possible, but I think it'll do the most to push your skills early, and the more quickly your skills develop the more fun it'll be.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
Inconsistent armies aren't so bad with death guard. Rotten nurgly fucks are how they do, just match the bases.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

any advice on how to get that color pallette in the ~Citadel System of Paints?~

The Citadel Paint App has a feature to load an image and pick colors, then output a selection of paints that match.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I've been working on my Ultramarines quite a bit lately. Managed to mostly finish these two Repulsors. A few things need touch up - buttons on the hatch, cabling, headlights and a few others.

I'm really happy with how the gunner turned out. I miss painting red armor.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Flocking a large object: paint it a similar color first?

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015

Twincityhacker posted:

I thought I would try to help with the heraldry, so:

EDIT: Sorry for the image fail.

Your suggestion gave me inspiration for another possible design. I did these in a hurry on my break at work, so they're a bit rushed. The previous pics were a bit large, these should be better.

The initial idea was a shield with the outline of the inverted omega, to make it a bit less obvious while still being clearly present. The shape isn't quite right, but gets the point across I hope.
The shield would be surrounded by a field of white, possibly with some easy geometric pattern to keep it visually interesting.

Alternative color scheme, looks a bit boring.

I tried to get a bit closer to the correct blue shade. I'm not sure about the gold edge, it might get messy with a pattern on the white.

In all of these versions, there's still space both above and below the aquila for some additional detail. Alternatively, maybe painting some stars on the blue to add some detail? Constellations on the shape of the stars that make up Ultramar?

I think I'm getting closer to a working idea, but any comments are still welcome. :)

Badablack
Apr 17, 2018

Cat Face Joe posted:

Flocking a large object: paint it a similar color first?

In my experience flocking is just painting with a different medium, and the same rules apply. Think of the flock like a translucent paint that shows the color beneath. I like using darker colors under my flock, so the flock is like a highlight, and to make it look like exposed dirt in areas where flock is thinner and grass would be trampled and upturned.

If you’re going for that bright golf course pristine grass, then yeah do it the same color to hide any bald spots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Man, that's a pretty good discount on that can.