Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Yeah, it's so much better that sd might as well not exist.

I've tried to force myself to play though 0 and finally given up.

The combat sucks in my opinion. It has cute anime style moments like wacky slam cut closeups and well animated cutscenes but the gameplay isn't that great and personally I haven't been able to invest in the characters much.

It's a niche title and it feels like it comes from the one trick pony Japanese Telltale equivalent. I understand it having a cult following, but it's not a game I'd recommend to any of my friends that play video games.

E: conversely I'm loving DQXI and I'd also never recommend it to my friends because I know they'd loving hate it, but I love me some old timey jrpg

JBP fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Dec 10, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

SD and Yakuza are completely different games and barely have anything in common other than being varying levels of quirky, violent and asian.

Both are some of the greatest games of all time and games everyone should at least try please ignore JBP even though he’s a sweet lil angel boi and I cherish him deeply.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Yakuza is about nude men trying to rape posters of hot girls and wacky anime turnabouts like pretending to be some random's girlfriend then her dad comes onto you after he finds out it was a ruse.

I don't know, it's unrelentingly wacky :(

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Yakuza is Grey’s Anatomy for dudes.

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich

JBP posted:

It's a niche title and it feels like it comes from the one trick pony Japanese Telltale equivalent. I understand it having a cult following, but it's not a game I'd recommend to any of my friends that play video games.

I had a fun time with zero and then fell off the series hard, you've summed it up quite well for me though.

Cult classic is just another way of saying "great in places but the shortcomings don't always compensate for the strengths" and that's about what sums up Yakuza for me.

Great writing, laugh out loud moments and just overall great character but a simplistic repetitive combat system which you have to engage with too much. I only played 0 and Kiwami 1 but they really feel like last gen games, understandably.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

If they put in auto saves instead of manual followed by like four screens of saving stuff it'd cover up the creaky rear end bones under the game. Maybe give the run animation some weight or something.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Akuma posted:

Is there a Yakuza thread?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3806979

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
yeah there’s a lot to bounce off if you aren’t familiar and comfortable with old fashioned Japanese gaming conventions

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

People who hate Yakuza are definitely cops

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

exquisite tea posted:

Agro is the best horse if you just treat him like a horse and let him do his thing instead of micromanaging him like he’s a Ferrari in GTA.

But Agro sounds like such a Ferrari name.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Guillermus posted:

Don't know if someone else posted this but hell yeah!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dr2BCMRk_xc

CTR was by far my favorite kart racer of its time. I tried it a couple years ago via PS1 on PS3 and it... did not age well, at all. I mean mostly it was the awful graphics running at like 15 FPS but the controls were awful, too.

I hope there's a demo of the remaster on the horizon, because I sold MK8D and would love to replace it with this if it feels right.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

enojy posted:

I sold MK8D

:chloe:

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I think I'm on the verge of tappin' out of Switch life, please don't judge :(

Really it's all up to Animal Crossing at this point

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Pablo Nergigante posted:

People who sell their Switches are definitely cops

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

enojy posted:

CTR was by far my favorite kart racer of its time. I tried it a couple years ago via PS1 on PS3 and it... did not age well, at all. I mean mostly it was the awful graphics running at like 15 FPS but the controls were awful, too.

I hope there's a demo of the remaster on the horizon, because I sold MK8D and would love to replace it with this if it feels right.

I played CTR for the first time only a couple years ago and found it to be much better than I was expecting. Of course the graphics are on par with most PS1 stuff, and it doesn't control as well as some modern kart racers do. Hopefully the new one fixes most of that. Crash Nitro Kart from the PS2/Xbox era actually felt better to control and is another good kart racer. Now that I think about it, funny how they really wanted Crash karting to really be a thing.

And yeah, selling MK8D was a bad move. Get it back since it's probably the best kart racer available.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

BisterdDave posted:

And yeah, selling MK8D was a bad move. Get it back since it's probably the best kart racer available.

I thought about it a bit, but I did 100% both the Wii U and Switch versions, so I had my fill of the game.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Once you realize the original Yakuza is a JRPG from 2005 and each succssive game still has that at its core everything about the way the games are built will click.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Out of curiosity for way down the line after I get through the Kiwami's; Is Yakuza 5 any good?

It's a very different kind of game in a lot of ways and bites off a ton in terms of locations (there are five), playable characters (also five), and things you can do in the game which include things you MUST do. These extra gameplay types are neat ideas but a lot of them are insanely janky. It's a highly polarizing title because of this, depends a lot on what people will put up with.

For example, there are two types of taxi missions: one where you have to get someone to their destination but have to do so with insane attention to following the rules. Stopping for pedestrians, stopping at the line for red lights, signaling for turns etc. The other is an Initial-D style balls-to-the-wall race mode.

There's even a hunting mode in a remote snowy part of Hokkaido which is like Red Dead Redemption 2 light. You also go to Sapporo which is where I lived for a few years so this entry in the series is special to me as a result.

There's a decently-long section in Osaka (same area as all the other games with it) where you play as Haruka, no thugs attacking you. You do, however, do Hatsune Miku-style dance-offs with people, and the storyline for her section is actually a really interesting "idol manager" game of sorts. I think a lot of people didn't like it since it was different from the bare-knuckle Yakuza fighting they were expecting, but I loved it. :shrug:

I think overall it has my favorite storyline since while it's all Yakuza-intertwined there's also a TON that's somewhat separate from it (e.g. the Initial-D taxi races has a whole storyline of its own, Haruka's Idol adventure, and also a disgraced baseball player and his hard-knock life story), but you definitely have to put up with a lot of roughness especially if you're used to the PS4 versions of all the games. It's the most polished of the PS3 games but that's really not saying much.

If you're not sure it's on Playstation Now, too.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.

JBP posted:

I've tried to force myself to play though 0 and finally given up.
...it's not a game I'd recommend to any of my friends that play video games.

Mods!?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

hadji murad posted:

yeah there’s a lot to bounce off if you aren’t familiar and comfortable with old fashioned Japanese gaming conventions

I don't think I am but the story and combat are fun enough to keep me engaged.

Shame about the saving, though. It really is annoying.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I am having an absolute blast with Yakuza0. If I had not played/completed Nier:Automata this year then it would have been my GOTY!

I am just about to end chapter 6, I think, and have been messing with properties, pocket circuit racing and bowling. I got the turkey too. I have been having fun in the disco and karaoke bars. I am going around and sampling food from everwhere and I have completed 35 Kiryu sub stories.

It is just a joy and I am so lucky that Kiwami 1 was a PS Plus game, so I will have another one to mess with in the future :D

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
The Yakuza thread is unusable because it's 98% spoilers, that's why newcomers post about it here

Kiwami 2 guy- it rules, enjoy! It's so much better than 1 and has higher highs than 0.

To people who dislike yakuza- play on easy. The combat is still repetitive but you get through it faster

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Guillermus posted:

Don't know if someone else posted this but hell yeah!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dr2BCMRk_xc

Eh, I would've preferred Tag Team Racing.

Merging cars and shooting at everyone sounds much better than having to rely on items to me at least.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

univbee posted:

It's a very different kind of game in a lot of ways and bites off a ton in terms of locations (there are five), playable characters (also five), and things you can do in the game which include things you MUST do. These extra gameplay types are neat ideas but a lot of them are insanely janky. It's a highly polarizing title because of this, depends a lot on what people will put up with.

For example, there are two types of taxi missions: one where you have to get someone to their destination but have to do so with insane attention to following the rules. Stopping for pedestrians, stopping at the line for red lights, signaling for turns etc. The other is an Initial-D style balls-to-the-wall race mode.

There's even a hunting mode in a remote snowy part of Hokkaido which is like Red Dead Redemption 2 light. You also go to Sapporo which is where I lived for a few years so this entry in the series is special to me as a result.

There's a decently-long section in Osaka (same area as all the other games with it) where you play as Haruka, no thugs attacking you. You do, however, do Hatsune Miku-style dance-offs with people, and the storyline for her section is actually a really interesting "idol manager" game of sorts. I think a lot of people didn't like it since it was different from the bare-knuckle Yakuza fighting they were expecting, but I loved it. :shrug:

I think overall it has my favorite storyline since while it's all Yakuza-intertwined there's also a TON that's somewhat separate from it (e.g. the Initial-D taxi races has a whole storyline of its own, Haruka's Idol adventure, and also a disgraced baseball player and his hard-knock life story), but you definitely have to put up with a lot of roughness especially if you're used to the PS4 versions of all the games. It's the most polished of the PS3 games but that's really not saying much.

If you're not sure it's on Playstation Now, too.

I'm in the camp that liked 5 a lot. It's odd because the action, like the combat and mini-game variety and and the playable characters/location variety andso on makes it feel like the ultimate build up of the previous 4, but the story is so out there because of a lot of it being pretty distant from the Yakuza itself. The story's are much more personal as a result though and I liked how each person is kind of forced to live like a regular human for a little bit. It was sort of interesting because you get a lot of civilian characters who are respectable in their own way instead of just being noble victims of Yakuza machinations. Like that part in the extreme north section of Hokkaido, those folks are badass, straight up, without having to engage in the typical antics you'd get from the series' yakuza characters. But you see that sort of awakened in them as each of the playable characters enters their space, both for worse and for better. And Haruka's portion (which I loved too) really drives that home).

But then the actual yakuza part of the story is as others have said pretty stupid, but I loved everything about it that wasn't directly related to that. To the point where (I know I make this post often) I think the teams' writing and the games themselves could support an entire game with no combat or high level crime lord conspiracies at all, and 5 might have been better if it went that route. Like imagine a game with Dead Souls' karaoke and each other games' best take on the various mini-games, that could be it's own weird slice of life party game thing and still be good.

I love 5 just the same though. The combat is GREAT too, I think you could definitely make a case for it having the best combat on the old engines.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Dec 10, 2018

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich

RareAcumen posted:

Eh, I would've preferred Tag Team Racing.

Merging cars and shooting at everyone sounds much better than having to rely on items to me at least.

The thought of playing Yakuza on anything above normal and artificially padding out the experience is so:psyduck: to me

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

CrRoMa posted:

The thought of playing Yakuza on anything above normal and artificially padding out the experience is so:psyduck: to me

I know you didn't mean to quote me but I always just went with normal and had no problems with it.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

That reminds me, the difficulty of the extra content in Yakuza 5 is loving ridiculous, if you're wanting to Platinum it, it's a loving wall. Even beating it on Normal without dropping the difficulty (which is one of the trophies) is ludicrously hard throughout, especially the end game.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The final fight of Yakuza 4 (the Tanimura fight) is one of the most infuriating things I've ever had to do in a video game.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
If you don't have bulletproof armor it's torture.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Arist posted:

The final fight of Yakuza 4 (the Tanimura fight) is one of the most infuriating things I've ever had to do in a video game.

Yakuza 4 was my first entry in the series, and that fight made me never want to play another Yakuza game. Just like with alchohol though, once I sobered up I was ready for more!

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Out of curiosity for way down the line after I get through the Kiwami's; Is Yakuza 5 any good?

If your favorite thing about Yakuza is side content, it's the best one in the series. There is an idiotic amount of poo poo to do in Yakuza 5. It might be the biggest game ever made in terms of the sheer variety of activities.

The story makes no sense which is more or less par for the course for Yakuzas 3-5. At least it's at the "way too complicated" level of bad and not the "actively insulting" level of bad that Yakuza 4's story is rubber bullets

Also:

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Dec 10, 2018

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I have problems with every single system in Yakuza 0 and it's still my GOTY. Sum of all the parts, etc...

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Oh right, another maddening thing about the end of Yakuza 5, is that since each character has their own inventory they all need ridiculous amounts of healing items and will all be pitted against stupidly unfair bosses. Not really a big deal if you plan it, but the ending legit takes over an hour so you can end up really stuck if you forgot to load up on healing items for Kiryu, for example.

Things get a bit weird with the multiple characters late and post-game.

All money is pooled into a single pot.
All item boxes (but not the active inventories themselves) are pooled. All characters still have their own character-specific inventory.
You can switch characters in Serena.
Each character can free roam in Kamurocho, and via taxi can travel to their earlier chapter's town (and only their earlier chapter's town). So Saejima can travel to Sapporo and the hunting village as well as Kamurocho, Kiryu can travel within Kamurocho and to Fukuoka etc. You can't travel to cities other than Kamurocho unless you're playing as the specific character who started their playthrough in those cities (e.g. Kiryu can't travel to Sapporo, only Saejima can).

There are some missions which are tied to completing things in the starting cities with specific characters, for example each character gets invited to the coliseum tournament in Kamurocho after enough street fights, and once you've done this with everyone you can go into the tournament as Kiryu and wind up fighting the other characters too.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Escobarbarian posted:

That’s just the missions you can do with your camp, fishing and house robbery etc. Pretty sure no stranger missions work that way.

Oh they do

Poor Charlotte just being murdered on the floor of her cabin when I came back to her RIP

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Pocket Circuit Fighter is a degenerate drug pusher, and I am a weak, weak, man.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYnmCeoH-68

dammit geralt you are meant to be retired!

also i guess im buying monster hunter now

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Vikar Jerome posted:

also i guess im buying monster hunter now

"just when i thought i was getting out, they pull me back in"

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Vikar Jerome posted:

When's Geralt getting added to Dead by Daylight?

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

Is Geralt/The Witcher popular in Japan or is this and his inclusion in SC6 meant more for western players?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Hey if anyone gets the multiplayer Prey VR game please post your thoughts it sounds dope.