Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I bet Ed Sheeran will record a new version of "Bright Eyes" for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I saw a video review titled "The Grinch [in the new movie] is a tsundere".

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I somehow only just realized that How The Grinch Stole Christmas was directed and co-produced by Chuck Jones, and now I'm mildly ashamed.

...also I liked The Phantom Tollbooth...

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Uncle Wemus posted:

“While we won’t shy away from the darkness in the book, visually it won’t be as brutal and scarring.”

Rory Aitken, executive producer

Then why even bother

I'm honestly pretty happy with what's said in that article, because the thing that makes the 1972 movie famous is also why it's a really not-great adaptation of the book. Watership Down is very loving dark at times and pretty violent, but the 1972 movie really kind of exacerbates the issue by removing basically every light moment and making the violence a lot more visceral; it sounds like the BBC remake is trying to strike a closer tone to the book's by downplaying the gore and restoring the nice bits.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I just wonder if anyone outside of the UK will ever get to see the new Watership Down.

Still waiting for Black Hollywood: 'They've Gotta Have Us' to be shown outside of BBC 2....despite it being about people in America, you can't see it if you're in America.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

ThermoPhysical posted:

I just wonder if anyone outside of the UK will ever get to see the new Watership Down.

Still waiting for Black Hollywood: 'They've Gotta Have Us' to be shown outside of BBC 2....despite it being about people in America, you can't see it if you're in America.

Netflix has already picked up international distro. If the BBC is airing it week-to-week, it'll probably go up in full shortly after the last episode airs.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Shadow Hog posted:

I liked the book. :shrug: The movie just seemed like a big wasted opportunity to me though.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Senior Scarybagels posted:

I really liked the new movie.
It wasn't as good as the Boris Karloff movie, but it was inoffensive to the palette and wasn't ugly. It gave him some legit pathos that didn't really make him or the who as the bad guys. In a way I think they pull the redemption bit a little too fast and hard. The ending though hits the theme of why he hated christmas. Since he was forced to spend it alone as an unloved orphan it really shaded his views towards it, but with the family taking him in, showing him caring, I think that does more as a redemption ending that the whole "But the who's found they didn't need christmas trinkets, and just started singing". Its less ugly than the Live Action film, where there were almost no likable characters in the film

these all make it more palatable (blander) but really the more you bloat on the less effectual the storys symbolism is. the grinch does not need to be "known" as a person because hes an archetype in a fairy tale.

Shadow Hog posted:

I somehow only just realized that How The Grinch Stole Christmas was directed and co-produced by Chuck Jones, and now I'm mildly ashamed.

i like it okay but i think bill melendez was the obvious better choice

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The MSJ posted:

I saw a video review titled "The Grinch [in the new movie] is a tsundere".

This troper saw the Grinch and

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

FunkyAl posted:

these all make it more palatable (blander) but really the more you bloat on the less effectual the storys symbolism is. the grinch does not need to be "known" as a person because hes an archetype in a fairy tale.

He was basically a simplified version of Scrooge. If they keep adding backstory to him, eventually they'll remake A Christmas Carol again by accident.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Someone adapt Grinch Night and make it about how the Grinch's dad worked too hard and never had time to take him trick or treating so see, it's not actually his fault he's got a nightmare wagon.

Or hell, just pay me now.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

FunkyAl posted:

I agree with you there, it doesn't need to have all the extra bloat, but Hollywood likes adding the pathos to characters that doesn't need it, so the extra stuff in this film, while fluff and not needed, is inoffensive to the senses unlike Jim Carrey's movie, and generally it makes for a good Christmas movie to watch around that time. It's just...not a movie I would specifically be watching out for.

Sir Lemming posted:

He was basically a simplified version of Scrooge. If they keep adding backstory to him, eventually they'll remake A Christmas Carol again by accident.

You know speaking of Scrooge, I remember reading about how Charles Dickens based the book on an old grave marker that was in horrible keep for someone named scrooge.

Senior Scarybagels fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Dec 6, 2018

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

BioEnchanted posted:

Cool, let me know what you think, I'm curious if I just have bad taste :v:

Bringin this back to say I read Reflection yesterday and I thought it was fun. It was particularly cool in that it kind of hit all the same beats the end of the movie did, and also I could imagine the rest of the movie happening after the end of the book.

It felt like, what if fanfic writers had good ideas, instead of writing Disney Princesses Go To College/High School. I'll probably check out some of the others in the series, they're a easy, fun read.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

big dyke energy posted:

Bringin this back to say I read Reflection yesterday and I thought it was fun. It was particularly cool in that it kind of hit all the same beats the end of the movie did, and also I could imagine the rest of the movie happening after the end of the book.

It felt like, what if fanfic writers had good ideas, instead of writing Disney Princesses Go To College/High School. I'll probably check out some of the others in the series, they're a easy, fun read.

Glad you enjoyed it. I really liked the character of General Li. He was fun. Shishi also owned.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Saw Into the Spider-Verse today.

Spoilers: It's really loving good!

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Double posting because man I need to talk about this movie.

I've been dying to see this movie since I saw the teaser trailer last year, and I have to say: Not only did it meet my sky-high expectations, it exceeded them. And man, where do I even start?

Right off the bat, the animation was utterly incredible. You can see it in the trailers, but there was a real effort on making the movie look like a comic, but even more than that the animators went all-out in adding effects you'd find on a comic panel (Impact lines, written sound effects, etc.) to the screen. And this wasn't a gimmick—the comic effects were integrated constantly and flawlessly, and created an additional level of visual impact to many scenes throughout the movie. There was also incredible use of color, and lighting, and all told it's a gorgeous movie to look at. The ending battle especially is an utterly inspired visual spectacle that makes the best possible use of animation as a medium.

And as good as the animation was, the writing was able to keep up. There were some legitimately great jokes throughout the movie, as well moments as real emotion. The script really isn't as original as the animation, unfortunately, but it's executed extremely well.

The music is also great and I'm definitely buying the soundtrack as soon as it's available.

In short, 12/10 gonna see it again as soon as I'm physically able to.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Saw Into the Spider-Verse today.

Spoilers: It's really loving good!

I think this is up there with Speed Racer and Fury Road in terms of movies that not only use all colors everywhere all the time but use them for a purpose.

I don't want to oversell how good it is and lead to someone being disappointed because goons are like that, but needless to say Into the Spider-Verse is very loving good. See it, you'll enjoy it.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Also with the internet doing dumb slapfights about the identity politics of their reboots of 80s toy commercials and updated Disney movies having a movie that was so organically and unabashedly positive in being inclusive and empowering in ways that felt organic and earned and actively contributed to the movie was amazing. I don't read comics so I don't know how much this movie owes to them and how much is its own creation but Miles Morales is a fantastic protagonist and every character feels like it has some dimension that is going to inspire something in someone.

Again, not to overstate how good the movie is or anything but I remember walking out of the original Raimi Spider-Man and being jazzed because it was the first real post-9/11 blockbuster that tapped into this zeitgeist of New Yorkers working together and being about good triumphing over evil, and I felt a very similar feeling leaving Into the Spider-Verse with how it's ultimately a movie about hope for the future and working together to make things better no matter how unrelenting and bleak the current future looks.

If there's any justice this movie will make a billion dollars and inspire a new generation of western animated films that aren't explicitly family films. I was kind of amazed when the movie ended and the card flashed showing that it was only rated PG.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Guy Mann posted:

Again, not to overstate how good the movie is or anything but I remember walking out of the original Raimi Spider-Man and being jazzed because it was the first real post-9/11 blockbuster that tapped into this zeitgeist of New Yorkers working together and being about good triumphing over evil, and I felt a very similar feeling leaving Into the Spider-Verse with how it's ultimately a movie about hope for the future and working together to make things better no matter how unrelenting and bleak the current future looks.

If there's any justice this movie will make a billion dollars

Oh, no...

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
I enjoyed the Spider-Man move. For all the reasons already mentioned. The sound design for the villains (not sure if it was in general, or specifically for Prowler) was amazing and another reason other than the visuals to see it at the cinema. One voice actor in particular was an amusing surprise for me as I hadn't checked out the cast before hand. Stan Lee cameo was surprisingly poignant and fitting in the context of the narrative, which was another surprise because I'm pretty cynical about that kind of stuff in general. Only negative I can think of is that the final act felt a little rushed and while the Peter/Miles relationship and story was well fleshed out I would have liked to have seen more from some of the other characters, and not just the spider-me... spider-peop... spider-beings, but supporting characters and villains as well. Oh, and yeah, the product placement is pretty obnoxious. Really stuck out like a sore thumb, I think being animated had something to do with that.

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Dec 9, 2018

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
But how are the quips?

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Gravy Jones posted:

One voice actor in particular was an amusing surprise for me as I hadn't checked out the cast before hand.

It was a small role but Lily Tomlin as Aunt May was my favorite "oh huh yeah good one" casting choice when the credits rolled, especially with how they managed to knock it out of the park turning her into a badass Alfred Pennyworth figure for Peter since like pretty much everyone in my generation I subconsciously associate her voice with Miss Frizzle from the Magic School Bus cartoon on PBS.

Also I really hope that whatever tech they used for Peni Parker finds its way to Japan because they did a better job doing anime in CGI that literally anything I've seen actually come out of Japan.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

But how are the quips?

As is fitting a Phil Lord screenplay it's super tight in how there are plenty of great jokes but all the quips also either set up or pay off something.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
I also liked that Kingpin was very clearly Bill Sienkiewicz's Kingpin to the extent that the comic covers with him on it were either drawn by Sienkiewicz or someone very obviously imitating him. I suspect there was loads of stuff like this, I'm not particularly up-to-date on the comics though, but I'm a big Sienkiewicz fan in general.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Guy Mann posted:

As is fitting a Phil Lord screenplay it's super tight in how there are plenty of great jokes but all the quips also either set up or pay off something.

So would you say that they're on point?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Mechafunkzilla posted:

So would you say that they're on point?

I must know, because not knowing is raising the tension to nigh-unbearable levels.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Yo, this new Grinch Movie is trash.

Edit: Its finished now; this film does not understand the crux of the Grinch narrative or cinematic pacing.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Dec 10, 2018

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Barudak posted:

Yo, this new Grinch Movie is trash.

Edit: Its finished now; this film does not understand the crux of the Grinch narrative or cinematic pacing.

Is he a tsundere though?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The MSJ posted:

Is he a tsundere though?

I can see an arguement for it, but the film is incredibly loving dumb about the Grinch and his motivation that he comes across as a muddled mess and the film desparately hopes you dont think through what caused his unhappiness

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Barudak posted:

I can see an arguement for it, but the film is incredibly loving dumb about the Grinch and his motivation that he comes across as a muddled mess and the film desparately hopes you dont think through what caused his unhappiness
I mean it was pretty explicit - he was an orphan and during the Christmas season he was left completely alone by his caretakers and leaving the confines of the orphanage he finds himself completely isolated, which could lead to his bitterness about the holiday. Not to mention that the first scene is about how he intentionally isolates himself from society during this time.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Senior Scarybagels posted:

I mean it was pretty explicit - he was an orphan and during the Christmas season he was left completely alone by his caretakers and leaving the confines of the orphanage he finds himself completely isolated, which could lead to his bitterness about the holiday. Not to mention that the first scene is about how he intentionally isolates himself from society during this time.

Yes but the film refuses to address exactly why be was an orphan or why in whoville orphans get nothing. The film wants the whos to be righteous but their sin is a collective failing of the Grinch so the film never, ever address that letting it just dangle

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Barudak posted:

Yes but the film refuses to address exactly why be was an orphan or why in whoville orphans get nothing. The film wants the whos to be righteous but their sin is a collective failing of the Grinch so the film never, ever address that letting it just dangle

I guess but it's still better than Jim Carrey version's hand waving of how he was what he was. Honestly I did not think it was all that bad. It's an adequate Christmas movie.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Since it's the time, I was surprised how good Arthur Christmas was and I appreciate how they didn't make the brother evil - just too efficiency-focused and a bit too ambitious. A few gags did overstay their welcome, but overall it's not bag.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Here is that fanmade full-length remake of Shrek.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pM70TROZQsI

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

The MSJ posted:

Here is that fanmade full-length remake of Shrek.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pM70TROZQsI

this is incredible

Butt Detective
Mar 24, 2013

Only the dead can know peace from these hats.
https://twitter.com/IGN/status/1072121573371510786

So how bout that Sonic

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
:sigh:

I'll just watch this video clip for like an hour and a half instead

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sb917MPnP4E

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
it looks like he's wearing
nothin at all
nothin at all
nothin at all

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Why does Sonic have muscle definition

Why

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Unsettling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Sonic sure has some weirdly human thighs.