Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Laffo if you think a Chinese court will rule literally anything the CCP doesnt decree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Maybe the public beating Judge Beer took was good because it's left him paralyzed with fear of looking like a conservative hack and he'll occasionally dissent with expected conservative behavior.

Probably not but a man can dream.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Hmm. There must be some wider ramifications or something that this ruling can cover.

It isn't an abortion case at all.

quote:

Medicaid patients in Kansas and Louisiana, two of the states that took action against Planned Parenthood, claimed the states violated Medicaid's requirement that patients must be free to seek their health care from any qualified and willing provider. They sued, and lower federal courts found in their favor, entering injunctions that ordered those states to lift their bans

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Judge Rapey McBeer DIDN'T side with the nuts?

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

This is totally consistent, Kav's main legal doctrine is 'what is best for blackout drunk frat-party rapists'.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
Im sort of surprised no one else noticed that Apple has been incredibly stagnant and basically hasn’t released a new product in at least 5 years.

The MacBook Air was just updated a few months ago, where all they changed was the USBA connectors to USBC and made the trackpad bigger and added a fingerprint reader. Before that it was the same computer as it was in 2011, selling for the same price.

Plus they keep breaking their software and OSes with stupid updates. Why does my iPhone messages app have an obnoxious meme tab?

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Shifty Pony posted:

There are other ways to force whole food adoption, specifically by requiring whole foods be served.

The targeted amounts of sodium are just so low that they are essentially incompatible with palatable cooked food. Two eggs scrambled with a single pinch of salt and nothing else is right at the limit set by the breakfast requirements for high schoolers.

Shifty Pony posted:

There are other ways to force whole food adoption, specifically by requiring whole foods be served.

The targeted amounts of sodium are just so low that they are essentially incompatible with palatable cooked food. Two eggs scrambled with a single pinch of salt and nothing else is right at the limit set by the breakfast requirements for high schoolers.

Without debating the viability of the law itself, I can confidently tell you that I could remove salt as an additive ingredient entirely from my kitchen [commercial, that I am responsible for feeding about a thousand meals a day] and still produce good food - because I have.

Regardless the backlash to the law is about profitability, not whether kids get to eat good tasting food, and the national restaurant association lobbied against it heavily. Removing or lessening the sodium restriction effectively allows providers to serve more garbage food to maximize profit. Lobbyists will use increased participation [because kids will always, always eat french fries and cheap fat-salt-sugar heavy bull poo poo] and lowered pass-through costs to justify the changes while kids continue to grow into adulthood with multitudes of diet related health problems.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

quote:

The case's majority opinion may be the shortest in Supreme Court history, totaling only 3 words: 'ask the moms.'

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I just know I always want the best phone $200 can buy every two years.

By Best I mean screen size, battery, and care about literally nothing else

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

skylined! posted:

Without debating the viability of the law itself, I can confidently tell you that I could remove salt as an additive ingredient entirely from my kitchen [commercial, that I am responsible for feeding about a thousand meals a day] and still produce good food - because I have.

Regardless the backlash to the law is about profitability, not whether kids get to eat good tasting food, and the national restaurant association lobbied against it heavily. Removing or lessening the sodium restriction effectively allows providers to serve more garbage food to maximize profit. Lobbyists will use increased participation [because kids will always, always eat french fries and cheap fat-salt-sugar heavy bull poo poo] and lowered pass-through costs to justify the changes while kids continue to grow into adulthood with multitudes of diet related health problems.

I thought the backlash was more to do with the fact it was suggested by Michelle Obama

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Stereotype posted:

Im sort of surprised no one else noticed that Apple has been incredibly stagnant and basically hasn’t released a new product in at least 5 years.

The MacBook Air was just updated a few months ago, where all they changed was the USBA connectors to USBC and made the trackpad bigger and added a fingerprint reader. Before that it was the same computer as it was in 2011, selling for the same price.

Plus they keep breaking their software and OSes with stupid updates. Why does my iPhone messages app have an obnoxious meme tab?

The first revision of the Apple watch was like 3 years ago.

One could argue that they overhauled their iPhones and iPad Pro this cycle, but how many phone manufacturers actually release new products?

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

new thread title makes me physically ill thanks

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/ashleyfeinberg/status/1072154356772978689

CNN genius: you know who'd be great? the guy who beat up his wife

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

osker posted:

Has Hannity and the Fox & Friends crew been shown to start breaking? The resignation of the COS for both the president and VP strikes as an attempt to minimize radiation exposure to maximize future grifting potential.

Tucker's just crying for decorum and pretending that the GOP is actually the victim here, rather than the very trash fire that Tucker himself was promoting.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Kith posted:

new thread title makes me physically ill thanks

Yeah I thought it was a bit inappropriate

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Just want to point out that the Tucker tweet in question that keeps getting talked about here is from October, around the time those antifa super soldiers knocked on his front door.

Arturo Ui
Apr 14, 2005

Forums Bosch Expert

eke out posted:

That's Rob Porter. Rob Portman is a senator from Ohio.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

eke out posted:

Different guy.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Rinkles posted:

Yeah I thought it was a bit inappropriate

Whats the context?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

eke out posted:

the takeaway, i think, is more that John Roberts has managed to exert some political control over Kavanaugh than that the latter sided with planned parenthood

Roberts must have the liquor cabinet key under his robes

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

CyberPingu posted:

Whats the context?

Transcript of Jamal Khashoggi's torture/murder.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Ague Proof posted:

Different guy.

oh lol woops

anyways mariia's pleading guilty

https://twitter.com/ZoeTillman/status/1072156524120825857

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Ague Proof posted:

Transcript of Jamal Khashoggi's torture/murder.

Oh...thats hosed up

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

It isn't an abortion case at all.

"Medicaid patients in Kansas and Louisiana, two of the states that took action against Planned Parenthood, claimed the states violated Medicaid's requirement that patients must be free to seek their health care from any qualified and willing provider. They sued, and lower federal courts found in their favor, entering injunctions that ordered those states to lift their bans"

This is literally the flipped side of the, "I'm only comfortable having a good christian doctor tending to me and by God I'm allowed that choice!" coin.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Holy

loving

poo poo

Kavanaugh sided with PP

Ginette Reno posted:

Maybe the public beating Judge Beer took was good because it's left him paralyzed with fear of looking like a conservative hack and he'll occasionally dissent with expected conservative behavior.

Probably not but a man can dream.
Maybe all the old SCOTUS decided Gorsuch had enough of a hazing period and set their sights in Kavanaugh? I know it reads like I'm imagining the Justices akin to a school clique, but after all these years, it still seems like the sensible train of thought.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Stereotype posted:

Everyone has noticed this, except investors, I guess. Apple has been coasting for most of the last decade. They make a ton of money selling the same old iPhones, I guess, so why not

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

CyberPingu posted:

Oh...thats hosed up

It is, but the onomatopoeia fail is still funny.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Is it intended to compensate for overconsumption of sodium outside of school? i.e. kids are getting too much sodium from fast food, frozen meals, etc.

Or is sodium just an overblown food panic similar to fat?

Eh, it more complex than the fat-panic.

Some people are for as yet unknown reasons hypersensitive to sodium and their blood pressure goes way up and stays up when they have it. Those people should eat in line with the guidelines. Most people however have a modest response and the guidelines are way too strict.

The guidelines are often justified by pointing to the first group and the fact that they are stricter than necessary for most people excused via some version of "well it isn't bad for you to have less salt". But I would argue in this case that it is bad for schools to be serving healthy food that tastes like poo poo because it teaches kids that healthy food tastes like poo poo and will push them toward a lifetime of less healthy opinions.

One of the biggest hang ups my wife runs into when educating patients is that they had healthy foods prepared a crappy way growing up (usually vegetables steamed or boiled into mush) and they say they hate them. If she can get them to try them some other way like roasted they normally will have no problem with them, or even proclaim one to be their new favorite food.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Isn't it also something to do with the sodium/potassium ratio? Like, people should eat more nanas and not fried potatoes

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Jealous Cow posted:

https://twitter.com/bbcbreaking/status/1072040628345847808?s=21

This is probably why May is canceling the vote on her deal. With this information I feel like it’s much more likely that parliament votes down her deal and calls for a new referendum.

https://twitter.com/David_Cameron/status/595112367358406656

Such a great tweet.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

eke out posted:

oh lol woops

Really curious what she's agreed to

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/ZoeTillman/status/1072158287863447552

really bad news for her ex-boyfriend and anyone in the NRA that was complicit

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

eke out posted:

oh lol woops

Paul Erickson is now Officially Within a Pile of Deep poo poo, whereas prior to this he may have been circling it amorously.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

eke out posted:

Rob Porter was the wifebeater; Rob Portman is the current junior Republican Senator from Ohio

I thought Portman was a NeverTrumper like Sasse (votes lockstep but would not take a job in the administration)?

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

My stove defies the laws of physics!

eke out posted:

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Stereotype posted:

Apple's treatment of the web as a second-class platform is shameful and Safari is purposefully a piece of poo poo so gently caress em. Glad their lovely practices are starting to come back around. Even if it's more political than actually related to their badness.

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

My stove defies the laws of physics!
The Mooch is QAnon :tinfoil:

https://twitter.com/pbump/status/1072107772366520320

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Good? Bad? Indifferent? Can't say I feel any great sympathy for noted lovely corporation, Apple.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

dow's now below 24,000 in response, now down around 3000 from its october peak

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Lightning Knight posted:

Good? Bad? Indifferent? Can't say I feel any great sympathy for noted lovely corporation, Apple.

Agreed. Huaiwei and Apple can fight each other to death so far as I'm concerned.