Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Tommy is literally an alien from outer space, and shouldn't be compared to earthbound ghouls like Trump or Cruz

Edit - haha what a page snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

mobby_6kl posted:

Lol I thought he knew everything about flipping! Why would he lie to me like this?

E: Of course there's a tweet for this.

https://twitter.com/joshtpm/status/1032586686394494976?lang=en

My favorite part of this is that he says that campaign finance violations are not a big deal. So we have Donald Trump on record as saying Electoral crimes are not a big deal

Rednik
Apr 10, 2005

The best people.

https://twitter.com/nancook/status/1071949333166211073?s=21

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Fuckbarrel surprisingly unpopular position, sources say.

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

Countdown to trump nominating himself as chief of staff. "I know how I want to run my white house best".

mystes
May 31, 2006

Meatball posted:

Countdown to trump nominating himself as chief of staff. "I know how I want to run my white house best".
Iirc he said he was going to be his own chief of staff like a year ago, but since it didn't happen here must have already realized it's a bad idea.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

mystes posted:

Iirc he said he was going to be his own chief of staff like a year ago, but since it didn't happen here must have already realized it's a bad idea.

Well, the chief of staff actually has to do work, so obviously Trump didn't want anything to do with it.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Technically no one *has* to do anything.

Trump likely views it as a babysitter position anyway and now’s his chance to break free from his babysitter forever.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

Technically no one *has* to do anything.

Trump likely views it as a babysitter position anyway and now’s his chance to break free from his babysitter forever.

Trump is Calvin flushing Rosalyn's notes down the toilet.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

Trump is Calvin flushing Rosalyn's notes down the toilet.

I don't remember this interaction between Number One and the president.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

HootTheOwl posted:

I don't remember this interaction between Number One and the president.

Is...is this a Kids Next Door reference? I didn't think anyone knew this show existed besides me.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

Is...is this a Kids Next Door reference? I didn't think anyone knew this show existed besides me.

BSG

CONTENT:
A snow day in the American south? Looks like we just bred a whole new generation of climate deniers.

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm
There is a bad smock and there is a good smock.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1072095127894667265

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

I know it's close to "smoking" but I think he actually dictated "loving".

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

can't have a gen of CC deniers if they all die in car crashes over 1 nano meter of snow.

*taps head with baseball size icicle broken off newly formed snowbank glacier*

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
I’m Sorry But This Is Just Sheer Propaganda by Nathan Robinson for Current Affairs, on the whitewashing of HW and how American media sands the edges off our imperial leaders.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Lightning Knight posted:

I’m Sorry But This Is Just Sheer Propaganda by Nathan Robinson for Current Affairs, on the whitewashing of HW and how American media sands the edges off our imperial leaders.
Well yeah. Why do you think those ABC anchors couldn't help but laugh when they started imagining Trump being given the same treatment in a few more years?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/NoahShachtman/status/1072267567975288832

Butina is gonna cooperate

Witness Protection had better be all over that poo poo

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

The Glumslinger posted:

Eh, I bet that Putin doesn't really care, and it's entirely possible that she has received word that there won't be any fatal consequences for flipping. Yeah, he probably would have liked to have her keep working on building connections but with those connections exposed then the "maximum chaos" goal can still be advanced by Butina cooperating. Butina's going to be fine and I'd bet on her getting a warm welcome back in Russia once she's done serving time in the US.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

The Glumslinger posted:

Looks like a job for the Eraser.

Arnie's character in Eraser is a Witness Protection agent

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Random Stranger posted:

Eh, I bet that Putin doesn't really care, and it's entirely possible that she has received word that there won't be any fatal consequences for flipping. Yeah, he probably would have liked to have her keep working on building connections but with those connections exposed then the "maximum chaos" goal can still be advanced by Butina cooperating. Butina's going to be fine and I'd bet on her getting a warm welcome back in Russia once she's done serving time in the US.

Yeah, maximum chaos option isn't killing Butina because if that happens on US soil, it would likely be enough to push some wavering Republicans into anti-Russia hardliners.

Letting her go up to out basically the entire Republican Party and related national groups - in fact, she could even lie about additional groups involved - would be the maximum chaos option.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

If you had told me back in 2015 that before the end of the decade the NRA would be, if not destroyed but at least severely damaged as a functioning political entity that matters, I think I would die of old age before I ever guessed that one of the reasons might be a female Russian spy.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Lightning Knight posted:

Thank you for posting this, it's fantastic.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Random Stranger posted:

a very large part of russia foreign policy has been making it clear there are fatal consequences for flipping, why the gently caress would they be like "oh no problem you can flip"

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Rigel posted:

If you had told me back in 2015 that before the end of the decade the NRA would be, if not destroyed but at least severely damaged as a functioning political entity that matters, I think I would die of old age before I ever guessed that one of the reasons might be a female Russian spy.

You'll need to walk me through how that happens, since none of this is going to be broadcast to Trump supporters, ever.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

evilweasel posted:

a very large part of russia foreign policy has been making it clear there are fatal consequences for flipping, why the gently caress would they be like "oh no problem you can flip"

That's not "flipping", that's "defecting". I'm extremely dubious that Butina is doing that, however if the Russian political campaign can continue by providing information through her talking to prosecutors then Russia is going to be happy with that. From the Russian perspective it would be better if she wasn't caught at all, but she has been caught and there's no reason why they wouldn't turn that to their advantage. There's no way that her attorney is not passing messages to her from the Russian government and their plan for years has been political disruption.

It's not impossible that Butina has decided to talk and dodge Russian assassins; it's something other people have done successfully. It's just that given that this is something that works to the Russian government's advantage it seems more likely that they've told her things that it's okay to talk to prosecutors about.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
She's in the hands of literally the top counter intel people in the country. If anyone was going to flip her it would be them. Stupid thing about 15 years of torture interrogation fetishism is that it is so counter productive that people forgot that it's basically psychologically trivial to flip people if you just treat them with an almost paradoxical level of kindness and understanding

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Herstory Begins Now posted:

She's in the hands of literally the top counter intel people in the country. If anyone was going to flip her it would be them. Stupid thing about 15 years of torture interrogation fetishism is that it is so counter productive that people forgot that it's basically psychologically trivial to flip people if you just treat them with an almost paradoxical level of kindness and understanding

I remember when the US first started with the whole 'torture is cool and good' after 9/11 and people brought up a book written by a US officer back in WWII on interrogating nazi prisoners of war.

The entire book was about treating them well and making a human connection with them - even the complete monsters like the gestapo- and how the success rate was insanely high for getting good information out of them.

We've known what works for the better part of a century, we just don't do it because the people in power are insatiable sadists.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I think she's going to plead guilty and get traded for a real spy like those The Americans a few years ago.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
Wrong thread.

With Butina talking, Corsi and Stone squirming, the NRA going under, I feel like we are getting close to the end game. Who knows what will happen, but things are accelerating.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I remember when the US first started with the whole 'torture is cool and good' after 9/11 and people brought up a book written by a US officer back in WWII on interrogating nazi prisoners of war.

The entire book was about treating them well and making a human connection with them - even the complete monsters like the gestapo- and how the success rate was insanely high for getting good information out of them.

We've known what works for the better part of a century, we just don't do it because the people in power are insatiable sadists.

I imagine its one of those things too where people start questioning what the gently caress you are doing treating them well, results be damned.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Telsa Cola posted:

I imagine its one of those things too where people start questioning what the gently caress you are doing treating them well, results be damned.

Yeah, the torture we engaged in after 9/11 was as much or more about revenge as it was extracting information.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Skippy McPants posted:

Yeah, the torture we engaged in after 9/11 was as much or more about revenge as it was extracting information.
It's also important to "extract" "information" that justifies additional military operations even if that "information" is not based in "facts."

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

See also, WHAT THE RED CHINESE DO TO WOMEN, because it turns out that even though soft-shoeing does work, does provoke genuine ideological conversion etc, we were so much more willing to use functional, working interrogation methods on the Nazis for some reason.

Also, discrediting the status of women in the Soviet Union and Red China is a top priority for liberals and has been so since FDR died.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
Edit: Two posts in the wrong thread.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Rigel posted:

At this rate I'm half expecting it for the GOP in general outside of the reddest of the red southern and Midwest states come 2020 and beyond. The mask really fell off and they're not even trying to maintain the pretense that they aren't contemptuously callous and destructive people with the sole goal of enriching themselves and the ultra rich of the United States anymore. I'm not convinced the rest of the world feels it can even deal in good faith with a GOP government anymore either despite all the usual pretenses of international relations and decorum still being kept in place albeit just barely. They've just become far too radicalized for sane people and there's no real going back, not this generation at least. Even if they wanted to re-brand as a party I don't see how you apologize for Trump, McConnell, Hatch etc. any time within the next 15-20 years or so.

Also regarding Maria Butina, why would she plead guilty to espionage for Russia if the Orange Man says it's all a witch hunt and there's no collusion.........unless......:eek:

I can't wait for the tweet on that one. The Russian operative literally plead guilty to espionage but....but....but...."THE DEMOCRATS!!!!"

Kale fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Dec 11, 2018

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Kale posted:

Also regarding Maria Butina, why would she plead guilty to espionage for Russia if the Orange Man says it's all a witch hunt and there's no collusion.........unless......:eek:

I can't wait for the tweet on that one. The Russian operative literally plead guilty to espionage but....but....but...."THE DEMOCRATS!!!!"

totally different investigation

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

evilweasel posted:

It's weird but theoretically possible if they want her to cause maximum chaos.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

EdithUpwards posted:

Also, discrediting the status of women in the Soviet Union and Red China is a top priority for liberals and has been so since FDR died.

what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
Sorry, can someone link me to the NRA going down? That was mentioned a couple times, but I haven't read anything about it.