Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Captain Cappy posted:

In conclusion: No one in this loving game will ever kick anyone for anything besides being offline. Even being AFK for a long time won't matter.
Or said sam was a smart troll and brought a friend, giving you 0 chance to vote kick him because in a 4 man it requires 3 people to kick a person.

There's no way to win when that happens. You either suck it up and carry their sorry butts through the instance or you eat the penalty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Leofish posted:

GSM 50-60 is really nice too.

I also like just about all the BSM quests because of the drunken rear end of a guildmaster.

the wise man flees the scene

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Asimo posted:

:wrong:

Hopefully SB2 will have a different gunner job at least, since it seems MCH is made to suck to play.

Hey now, some of us actually like playing current MCH and don't want it to change too much.

Although I wouldn't say no to a dual-pistol-wielding corsair class...

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Ibblebibble posted:

Hey now, some of us actually like playing current MCH and don't want it to change too much.

Although I wouldn't say no to a dual-pistol-wielding corsair class...

Only if it remains a luck-based class. Guns and dice, let's go.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
My big MCH-related questions are:

1) Why is Wildfire not just a 20% damage buff for the same duration? Would that have interfered with Hot Shot in some way, or what? :shrug:

2) Are they ever just going to make the Rook autoturret follow the MCH like Garuda-Egi follows a SMN, so that I only have to deploy it once instead of fifteen times across the dungeon? :argh:

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Verranicus posted:

Don't suppose anyone knows if someone has scanned the new encyclopedia and uploasded it as a PDF yet? Money is tight and I could use some reading material for work.

Please do not ask for :filez:.

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

And the Lord Josh said, "Blessed are those cast away by Belichick, theirs is the kingdom of Denver." (Tebow 1:25)

Yapping Eevee posted:

My big MCH-related questions are:

1) Why is Wildfire not just a 20% damage buff for the same duration? Would that have interfered with Hot Shot in some way, or what? :shrug:

Because then you wouldn't see a single huge number, and that is fun. Agreed with whomever said that it should have a way cooler visual tied to it.

If y'all think wildfire is universally panned you're...probably wrong? Overheat is the problem, not wildfire. A very common suggestion is to make overheat last for a certain number of GCDs which would probably be fine? Or they could just ditch the heat mechanic since it's really bad.

quote:

2) Are they ever just going to make the Rook autoturret follow the MCH like Garuda-Egi follows a SMN, so that I only have to deploy it once instead of fifteen times across the dungeon? :argh:

Either you're not blowing up your turret enough (always blow up your turret) or you're doing content synced on MCH. Synced MCH is actually the worst.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Leofish posted:

I also like just about all the BSM quests because of the drunken rear end of a guildmaster.

I like how when you start the job he says something along the lines of "whether it's becoming a great blacksmith or cuckholding your husband, I'm willing to help"

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

EponymousMrYar posted:

Or said sam was a smart troll and brought a friend, giving you 0 chance to vote kick him because in a 4 man it requires 3 people to kick a person.

There's no way to win when that happens. You either suck it up and carry their sorry butts through the instance or you eat the penalty.

In that sort of situation I don't typically see the troll's buddy playing normally other than passively protecting them from vote kicks. It usually becomes pretty obvious they're a team. But in the case you do run into that, yeah your only options are to grit your teeth or leave.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Alakaiser posted:

Because then you wouldn't see a single huge number, and that is fun. Agreed with whomever said that it should have a way cooler visual tied to it.

If y'all think wildfire is universally panned you're...probably wrong? Overheat is the problem, not wildfire. A very common suggestion is to make overheat last for a certain number of GCDs which would probably be fine? Or they could just ditch the heat mechanic since it's really bad.

Yeah, I think this is it, actually-- the problem isn't Wildfire, it's.. everything else. Get rid of heat, expand the ammo system. Link all the really over-the-top heated shot animations to ammo use.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

kirbysuperstar posted:

That was probably my favourite moment of all the SB crafter quests.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

kirbysuperstar posted:

I should look up their ages in the Encyclopedias so I can be disgusted.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

kirbysuperstar posted:

The BSM guy may be a drunken rear end but he’s also a very good boi :kimchi:

Gotta love him pivoting from “why are you such a tightwad” to “I’m offended on your behalf by the dismissal of your rear end in a top hat father”.

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Dec 10, 2018

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Doma is a bad place and likely hingashi is by extension.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Cabbit posted:

Yeah, I think this is it, actually-- the problem isn't Wildfire, it's.. everything else. Get rid of heat, expand the ammo system. Link all the really over-the-top heated shot animations to ammo use.

I like the heat mechanic :( (at level 70). It's useful having something that I can track the entirety of my rotation with.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
A visual style exploration:

Shiva cinematic - FFXIV. Patch 2.4. Oct. 2014: https://youtu.be/INzA1l4oV6A

Night Warrior cinematic - WoW. Patch 8.1. Dec. 2018: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1mjyUxcjlI

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I'm giving this game a shot since I've heard good things and because WoW's latest expansion is a wet fart and $40 I'm not getting back. Is there a large goon presence here? I'm just riding the trial system before I decide to drop $$$ on the whole experience.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

And Tyler Too! posted:

I'm giving this game a shot since I've heard good things and because WoW's latest expansion is a wet fart and $40 I'm not getting back. Is there a large goon presence here? I'm just riding the trial system before I decide to drop $$$ on the whole experience.

A bunch of us are spread out all over the place but I think the biggest presence is on Excalibur still. Do be forewarned next patch is gonna add a new data center (Servers/Realms are grouped by Datacenter) and shuffle a bunch of stuff around, so who's available where (you'll always have your server, but who is on your Datacenter is gonna change pretty significantly) may be changing.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

And Tyler Too! posted:

Join Excalibur and contact Mordiceius Ketsumei and I’ll get you set up.

There is such a goon presence that we have 3 (primarily) US guilds on Excalibur and multiple across other regions/servers.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

We also have a eurogoon guild on Omega.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

The number of times I've gone into duty finder and gotten matched with some goon is shockingly high

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!
Getting randomly queued with with FC members is the most stressful possible outcome because now there's a danger that Im the terrible pubbie and someone will remember

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

And Tyler Too! posted:

The overwhelming majority of goons are on Excalibur.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Orthodox Rabbit posted:

Getting randomly queued with with FC members is the most stressful possible outcome because now there's a danger that Im the terrible pubbie and someone will remember

Don't worry, they're also the terrible pubbie.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Ibblebibble posted:

I like the heat mechanic :( (at level 70). It's useful having something that I can track the entirety of my rotation with.

Heat is good and fun also, you're right. Literally all the class needs is some tweaks to make flamethrower less fiddly.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Also to remove wildfire and replace it with something that isn't poo poo and distorts the entire rest of the class for an anemic payoff. :eng101:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Mordiceius posted:

A visual style exploration:

Shiva cinematic - FFXIV. Patch 2.4. Oct. 2014: https://youtu.be/INzA1l4oV6A

Night Warrior cinematic - WoW. Patch 8.1. Dec. 2018: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1mjyUxcjlI

:eyepop:

very subtle

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Saint Freak posted:

I should look up their ages in the Encyclopedias so I can be disgusted.

Well the blacksmith is like 30 so :v:

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Asimo posted:

Also to remove wildfire and replace it with something that isn't poo poo and distorts the entire rest of the class for an anemic payoff. :eng101:

Heat's a bigger problem than Wildfire, and I'm not even sure either are that bad. :shrug:

Wildfire's basically just a 25% damage buff implemented in a different way. Missing damage during Wildfire is exactly as punishing as missing damage with, say, Fight or Flight. If you don't open FoF with Goring Blade, it's going to result in a suboptimal second GB, because the timing on getting two full GBs in FoF is pretty strict. Does that mean Fight or Flight needs to be reworked?

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
MCH would be a lot more approachable if there were any states other than "godlike mastery of the job" and "dumpster fire dps". I have never ever seen a mediocre MCH, but I have seen a few truly wonderful ones and a whole lot of sub-1.5k clowns.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

MCH is SMN with a gun except people don't get angry about SMN for some reason.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Give Wildfire a detonate button that ends it early and deals additional flat potency on top. Also makes a nice "beep beep beep BOOOOOOOOM" sound.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Flamethrower is the shittiest part of MCH's toolkit. You can't move or change directions while using it, and the damage it does is completely inconsequential. It exists solely as a button you push to enter your Overheat phase reliably, and literally nothing else.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Ragnar Homsar posted:

Heat's a bigger problem than Wildfire, and I'm not even sure either are that bad. :shrug:

Wildfire's basically just a 25% damage buff implemented in a different way. Missing damage during Wildfire is exactly as punishing as missing damage with, say, Fight or Flight. If you don't open FoF with Goring Blade, it's going to result in a suboptimal second GB, because the timing on getting two full GBs in FoF is pretty strict. Does that mean Fight or Flight needs to be reworked?

Wildfire is the worst 25% damage buff in the game, because it doesn't work on AOE (it really should just do 100% of its damage in an AOE around the target), and also because if the boss goes immune with 1 second left, you lose the whole thing, not just the last second.

MCH as a whole is fine, but wildfire isn't a great mechanic.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Ragnar Homsar posted:

Heat and Wildfire aren't bad on their own, the real problem is them mixing. Wildfire is an interesting take on a damage buff while Heat is an interesting take on a damage stance that you need to maintain. It's where they meet that I have the most consistent problem with them because I keep getting tripped up on 'ammo removes heat generation.'

IMO they don't mesh well and that's the core problem with MCH. Heat is fine because it lets you do sicknasty kickflips and makes your normal rotation more interesting. Wildfire is fine because it captures the essence of 'John Fuckin' Madden' (AKA unloading a slow-firing weapon in rapid-fire time on a dude) and gives you a huge number.

And while both those things together do indeed equal the awesomeness of 'John Fuckin' Madden doing Sicknasty Kickflips for a Big Number' getting them to work together is like trying to drive stick when you've mostly driven automatic: there's extra things you have to do and you have to do it right or the whole thing comes to a halt.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Once you're at 70 the rotation lines up extremely well to a degree that makes the rotational melee classes look random. It's got a learning curve, but the two systems line up really well unless you're in a raid that has a SCH and AST that are both working together to make you miserable. Wildfire is also less of an issue for bosses than everyone mentions because if you're using wildfire as the boss jumps out it both still does damage and also you used it at the wrong time and it's equally as punishing as starting the WAR fell cleave phase or starting dreadwyrm trance as the boss leaves.

The AOE idea I have zero opinion about because who cares about AOE when MCH already has really good AOE potential and it's all frontloaded so you can slam out a huge amount of damage for dungeons in very little time.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Refulgent arrow, and the entire bard class, is like an order of magnitude worse than wildfire or anything related to MCH.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Mymla posted:

Refulgent arrow, and the entire bard class, is like an order of magnitude worse than wildfire or anything related to MCH.

:chloe:

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012
Delete MCH and replace it with puppetmaster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

They're not wrong. Nothing I love more than completely randomly losing 300-400 dps because the game felt like I shouldn't get a crit for an entire song phase.