Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Erg posted:

I watched Magic Kaito recently and now I want more anime that features heists, any good recs?

Lupin III.

"But should I watch the old stuff or the new seasons?"

Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

quote:

the ostensibly wondrous but quietly despairing tone of Dirty Pair

what

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do

There's a lot of cool whizbang futuristic neat stuff and there's also a lot of continuation of old tired conflicts and soft cyberpunk themes and sometimes planets get wiped out because someone dropped a bottle from a spaceship

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Adlai Stevenson posted:

Uchouten Kazoku/The Eccentric Family. It's on Crunchyroll.

--

Still makin' my way through my suggestions, trying to have a trip report put together soon-ish

Aha! Thanks so much!! Now I've got a strange new anime to enjoy. :)

There's something really oddly familiar about the character designs and art style. Kind of reminds me of Zetsubou Sensei or something.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I'm watching Fate/Stay Night which is absolutely awful with terrible art, but is there a version with a higher, let's called it production value?

Leave aside "the right order" hell discussion, are there any that are good just for the quality of it? I'm guessing Apocrypha might be the most fun in that regard?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Assuming you mean you are watching the 2006 Deen show, there is an adaption that came out a few years ago that covers a different story/route, called "Unlimited Blade Works". It's by a different studio and has a much higher budget and is overall a better product than the 2006 one. It has its own flaws but if I had pick one to watch of the two I'd definitely pick UBW instead. The same studio also released a prequel called Fate/Zero which is of a similar level of quality.

That said in terms of raw quality, the recent Heaven's Feel movie is probably the apex of the franchise. You'll probably be completely lost as to what's going on but it should look and sound pretty rad.

Apocrypha had I guess some pretty radical animation choices/directions, though the actual story is terrible and boring (apparently, I never saw it).

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do

ufarn posted:

I'm watching Fate/Stay Night which is absolutely awful with terrible art, but is there a version with a higher, let's called it production value?

Leave aside "the right order" hell discussion, are there any that are good just for the quality of it? I'm guessing Apocrypha might be the most fun in that regard?

Fate/Zero has more positives than negatives. For my money those negatives are largely the way the show, as a prequel, has to tie in to the ensuing franchise. Most of the stuff it comes up with on its own is fun. It also doesn't require much if any series knowledge to follow along.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The ufotable series are really good from an animation perspective. You'll probably understand everything if you go Fate/Zero -> UBW -> HF but that also leaves some things unresolved. To get the whole story you probably still need to read the Fate route of the game.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
It's the 2015 version (ufotable) I'm watching atm on Netflix. I'm pretty much watching season 2 because I'm so mad at how little action there's been.

ufarn fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Nov 9, 2018

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i don't think fate/stay night is what you're looking for if literally all you want is flashy action scenes and you don't actually care about following the writing at all

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
FSN is an often slow story that deals with a lot of character drama, with a penchant for big action set pieces mostly in the middle and endgame segments. Just sort of the way it goes and that might not be your bag by the sounds of it.

The reason I assumed you meant the old 2006 show is because for the faults I would attribute to the UBW adaption, "terrible art" is not one of them. Maybe a bit unimaginative with the usual prevalence of CG that uftoable likes in their works, but it functions pretty well enough.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i don't really like how heavily reliant on flashy cg and post processing effects every ufotables anime i've seen is, but, that's a different complaint from just "Bad Art" and "Bad Production Value"

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
They also explicitly called it Faye/Stay Night, which is the old show, and not the Ufotable one.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
anyway idk you'll find A Greater Quantity of flashy fighting in apocrypha and fate/zero but personally i'm, not really sure why you'd watch fate stuff for pure action to begin with because fate is much more about character drama stuff than the action itself

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

DrSunshine posted:

Aha! Thanks so much!! Now I've got a strange new anime to enjoy. :)

There's something really oddly familiar about the character designs and art style. Kind of reminds me of Zetsubou Sensei or something.

Koji Kumeta did the original character designs before they were adapted for animation. the jp bluray release for s2 even has an illustration by him on the box.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ufarn posted:

It's the 2015 version (ufotable) I'm watching atm on Netflix. I'm pretty much watching season 2 because I'm so mad at how little action there's been.
You aren't going to get a fate series that's nothing but non-stop action. Apocrypha is the closest since it has twice the number of fighting capable characters but it still has multiple episodes of just people talking. Fate/Zero has a pretty action-y first season but a really slow second season.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

ufarn posted:

the whole thing about Fate is that it takes a long time getting to the fireworks factory, but then the fireworks factory is loving amazing when it actually gets there. if that's not your bag, the franchise just legit isn't for you.

e: also being a Fate fan primarily for the fights is totally fair, the character drama is nice but for me it is icing on the "mythological figures beating each other into paste" cake

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i mean the fireworks factory of fate is built, on the assumption that you care about anything that's happening by that point

like it just. doesn't have any impact if you don't care about anyone. the drama and tension is built on, the writing

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Adlai Stevenson posted:

There's a lot of cool whizbang futuristic neat stuff and there's also a lot of continuation of old tired conflicts and soft cyberpunk themes and sometimes planets get wiped out because someone dropped a bottle from a spaceship

That time Kei and Yuri blew up an entire planet, killing hundreds or thousands of people, and were like 'uhhhhh woops, hope the boss doesn't cut our vacation time I wanna bang some hot boys'

I laughed really hard

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Mikl posted:

Lupin III.

"But should I watch the old stuff or the new seasons?"

Yes.

I second this recommendation, on the basis that the hundreds and hundreds of episodes of Lupin the 3rd consist almost entirely of heists. Required viewing.

The anime is of a different character from the manga due to the influence of Hayao Miyazaki and Isao Takahata, however, so be ready for that if you go looking for the source material.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

or just watch Part 1 and The Woman Called Fujiko Mine, where the original tone is...sorta there.

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting
Lupin part 5 is a really great time.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

The Colonel posted:

i mean the fireworks factory of fate is built, on the assumption that you care about anything that's happening by that point

like it just. doesn't have any impact if you don't care about anyone. the drama and tension is built on, the writing

i mean you're not wrong and that's why the whole package works, but... being able to enjoy a fight scene on its own merits isn't, like, some supernatural ability or something :shrug:

like i don't think DBZ is necessarily a bad comparison. DBZ works as a whole because the drama builds up the fights which advance the drama and so on and so forth. but... like... Beerus and SSJ3 Goku throwing down from Battle of Gods is still a loving awesome scene even without the context, because it's just a really loving cool fight scene in and of itself. similarly, the batshit insane dogfight between Gil and Berserker in Fate/zero is still completely goddamn awesome even if you have barely any idea what is happening simply because oh my god armor guy is riding a loving F16 like it's a bucking bronco, even if context does make it better.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

there's definitely a reason that you have youtube/twitter clips of just fight scenes or fight scene compilations. they're usually good highlights whether you have context or not, yeah

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

in my experience tons of fate fans somehow manage to enjoy it while actively despising much of the main cast and upwards of 2/3rds of the story

e: that said outside of me being petty I think there's a difference between a shounen fight thing where laid-back character eps are enough of a rare novelty for people to make a big deal of it (the car ep in DBZ, early Super), and the sort of VN where there's hours and hours of talking between fights

Motto fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Nov 10, 2018

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

imo fate/zero sucks partly because so many of its fights say nothing about the characters involved, while f/sn is cool because of how it uses the fights to further character development or make points about the characters

of course the ubw anime completely cocks that up and just makes the archer vs shirou and gil vs shirou fights into cg dickwaggle contests, so

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I liked the fights in UBW better than F/sn but that could be because I found Saber dull so I didn’t care about her poo poo.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Looking for some good character drama (but not melodrama) anime series after binging through Bloom Into You. Was thinking either Tsuki ga Kirei or Sound! Euphonium after I finish off Tsurezure Children, which one should I watch first?

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
For those who had not had the opportunity to watch it, Crest of the Stars and Banner of the Stars is going to be re-released by Funimation on December 4th. It's a really good plot driven space opera with blue-haired space elves. Space battles take second fiddle to Jinto and Lafiel's interaction though, so if you're expecting lots of gratuitous space explosions, you'll most likely be disappointed.

Also its soundtrack is loving amazing. I still get goosebumps when I hear the intro.

jwang fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Nov 11, 2018

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good

Ibblebibble posted:

Looking for some good character drama (but not melodrama) anime series after binging through Bloom Into You. Was thinking either Tsuki ga Kirei or Sound! Euphonium after I finish off Tsurezure Children, which one should I watch first?

As someone who hasn't watched any of those three beyond half an episode, I'm going to drunkenly recommend Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu. It's all an intense character study about one man's life, from childhood through old age, and all the trials and travails thereof.

The second OP is amazing. I'm just sitting here thinking about it and going "ahhhh, yeah. nice"

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Ibblebibble posted:

Was thinking either Tsuki ga Kirei or Sound! Euphonium after I finish off Tsurezure Children, which one should I watch first?

They're both good but they're very different beasts. Tsuki ga Kirei is shorter and focused pretty specifically on its central romance, whereas Euphonium goes to great pains to illustrate this entire social ecosystem that is the Kitauji High concert band, with different characters moving in and out of the spotlight. If you're into the craft of animation, like as an end in itself, Eupho will 100% blow you away though.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I started with Tsuki, if only because it was shorter :v: Enjoying it 2 episodes in at least. Having seen gifs of Euphonium and wanting to prep for Liz and the Blue Bird once it becomes available to me, Euphonium is definitely up next.

Rakugo is already in my to-watch list, I'll fit it in somewhere in my KyoAni/PA Works spree.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu is definitely a treat-it's one of my favorite anime from the past few years.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
For something a little bit older don't forget about Kids on the Slope

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Sorry I keep reviving this dying thread.

I need a good cry. That one episode of Re:Zero really got me and I want more of it. Bring on the sadness (tears of joy are also acceptable).

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Furnaceface posted:

I need a good cry. That one episode of Re:Zero really got me and I want more of it. Bring on the sadness (tears of joy are also acceptable).

Ayakashi Samurai Horror stories, the final arc with the Medicine seller from Mononoke. I cried so, so hard. Such good story-telling.

e: Bake Neko, eps 9-11. The series is an anthology so don't watch the rest of it.

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Dec 11, 2018

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Furnaceface posted:

One word: Orange.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Furnaceface posted:

Violet Evergaarden. On Netflix. Has a bonus episode, too.

I dare you to watch it without getting misty-eyed. Yui Ishikawa (Mikasa Ackerman, 2B) also voices her, which is a nice cherry on top.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Furnaceface posted:

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu

Ep 8 of Zombieland Saga this season.

Natsume's book of friends has some good eps too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Furnaceface posted:

Series:
Orange
AnoHana
Haibane Renmei

Movies:
Your Name
Maquia (this might but have had a home release yet. Oops)

a kitten fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Dec 11, 2018