Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Starks posted:

DHS (of which ICE is a part) is also consistently ranked the worst agency to work by its own employees under the federal employee survey. If you believe there are parts of government that aren’t working well and need to be restructured, as most republicans do, then its a no brainer to start there.

well, DHS is more of an umbrella agency for a bunch of other smaller and bigger agencies to work together. ICE and especially CBP are low on moral because for the most part they are boring as gently caress jobs and its where they shunt alot of the morons and gently caress ups off too. if your agency is in DHS, it means that if you are good at your job and stay for 3 or so years, you can switch to another agency in DHS. CBP is basically a place where the smart people take the job and then leave for the FBI/DEA/etc when they put in there time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

Why is it that the only people with takes like this are lovely people? News flash, homey: AOC is objectively awesome. It's not "groupthink" to call it like it is.

Her logo looks like the Handy logo, there's my hot take

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Saros posted:

Apart from the universal jobs guarantee basically every other western country... Has all those things despite being less wealthy and powerful than the US?

well you see, they are less wealthy and powerful than the US because they have those things. checkmate, libs! :smug:

Kale
May 14, 2010

Crow Jane posted:

Ugh, it has to be at the point where even his superfans wish he'd start talking about something else. Dude's a broken loving record.

Yeah I've also been thinking he particularly needs to shut the hell up already for the better part of two months but that's just kind of my opinion. There are no rallies to do right now, his party already lost the mid terms despite all of his campaigning and the new congress doesn't sit for 3 more weeks, and Hannity doesn't seem to have reminded him that he's supposed to moan about "The War on Christmas" for his talking points during December, so I just kind of imagine him spinning around in a circle right now not sure what to do with his time tweeting "brilliant" material he's already put out there several dozen times but can't seem to remember.

It also probably doesn't help his functionality that absolutely nothing is going his way at the moment and quite the opposite in fact.

Cool let's do it. When does the purging of corrupt old white men begin? :getin:

Kale fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Dec 11, 2018

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug

LLCoolJD posted:

Calm down, dude. Take a look at this list of goals:

This is pure, unadulterated fantasy — an unattainable utopian vision of the future. It'll never happen, not by the hair on Mitch McConnell's bullfrog double-chin.

I know I probably shouldn't be engaging someone who posts like this, but... Really? I clicked the thumbnail expecting far more outrageous positions. I'm not an AOC fanatic. I'm not even that in touch with popular politics. None of these are revolutionary, though. Most of them would have widespread and growing popular support if phrased in the right way. All of these are simplifications of what would be more nuanced policies. Most will take quite a bit of time.
  • Medicare for All. Popular idea, gaining popularity, can be phased in over time (just lower the Medicare age every year) to prevent any of the shock therapy that the US so willingly pushed on other countries in the past.
  • Universal jobs guarantee. Not entirely sure if this means universal basic income, which has gotten a lot of legitimate attention lately, or living wages, for which the same thing could be said. Living wages can be phased in over time.
  • Full funded schools. Tuition-free might pose some moral hazard problems, but make it affordable. Voila. Taxing Wall Street more? You mean like was done for most of history when Wall Street wasn't even so despised?
  • Paid leave isn't the least bit controversial.
  • Affordable housing would probably be a longer term and harder fight, but I can see momentum building, especially in places where a million bucks buys you a poo poo apartment.
  • Justice system reform. War on Drugs is incredibly unpopular now thanks to white people now dying in mass thanks to it. Demilitarizing police is probably harder due to how localized it is. I don't know enough about for-profit prisons, but toning down the war on drugs will probably take care of much of that problem on its own.
  • Immigration reform. DREAMers and TPS goes back to how it was two years ago. ICE, which is very unpopular, gets split into bureaus that don't have awfully misaligned incentives.
  • Infrastructural overhaul. It's gonna happen sooner or later. It'll reach a point where business and policy are going to pour into it.
  • Campaign finance and economy of peace might be tough. We love us some corrupt politicians and some war.
Sure, vested interests will put up a big fight. It will go back and forth. But Mitch McConnell is not immortal. poo poo that seemed far, far more out of reach ten years ago is now mainstream, like LGBTQ equality, legalization of weed, serious consideration of psilocybin in pharma, etc. Eventually there will be an inflection point after which it becomes more politically and financially expeditious to support these ideas. All of these items seem like part of an actual movement as opposed to the reactive surge in the last few years that seems more like a 'move' and dying gasp of rapidly dying people.

Wylie
Jun 27, 2005

Ever to conquer, never to yield.

Where did we all get the idea that Clinton's impeachment was revenge for Nixon? I don't recall that being A Thing™ at all at the time. Nixon's legacy as a crime-doer who deserved at least what he got (if not more) was set long before Clinton's time.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I don't really see the whole "the D base demands impeachment" stuff...

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

mcmagic posted:

Hell, we're not sold on it (since it won't exactly lead to a better situation).

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

Why is it that the only people with takes like this are lovely people? News flash, homey: AOC is objectively awesome. It's not "groupthink" to call it like it is.

I personally like AOC, but I don't think people need to jump down someone's throat because they aren't that impressed at this point.

But yes, I'm the lovely person for wanting a civil debate without insulting someone for disagreeing with you.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

quote:

Florida officials say thousands of mailed ballots were not counted because they were delivered too late to state election offices.

The Department of State late last week informed a federal judge that 6,670 ballots were mailed ahead of the Nov. 6 election but were not counted because they were not received by Election Day. The tally prepared by state officials includes totals from 65 of Florida’s 67 counties. The two counties yet to report their totals are Palm Beach, a Democratic stronghold in south Florida, and Polk in central Florida.

Three statewide Florida races, including the contest for governor, went to state-mandated recounts because the margins were so close.

In the battle for agriculture commissioner, Democrat Nikki Fried won her election by 6,753 votes. Republican Gov. Rick Scott ousted incumbent Democrat U.S. Sen. Bill Nelson by slightly more than 10,000 votes.

Under Florida law, ballots mailed inside the United States must reach election offices by 7 p.m. on Election Day. Overseas ballots are counted if they are received up to 10 days after the election.

https://apnews.com/8488a401807045fcb642ea2cdf81fc29

note that this article is from today

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Wylie posted:

Where did we all get the idea that Clinton's impeachment was revenge for Nixon? I don't recall that being A Thing™ at all at the time. Nixon's legacy as a crime-doer who deserved at least what he got (if not more) was set long before Clinton's time.

Given that it was an obviously totally politically motivated ludicrous investigation, it may well have been revenge from the right. But I don't remember that being bandied about the airwaves.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Party Plane Jones posted:

note that this article is from today

I'm not sure I can handle another election in Florida that keeps going on and on and on. That being said if that judge decides to let the ballots be counted and they change one of the outcomes the tears from the right will be of a magnificent vintage.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Smeef posted:

I don't know enough about for-profit prisons, but toning down the war on drugs will probably take care of much of that problem on its own.

Just to pick one point out of your list, but yes and no. It's true that the War on Drugs has provided the for-profit prison industry in America a convenient pipeline to stuff their prisons full, but ultimately even abolishing the whole War on Drugs will only put a temporary damper on things so long as the perverse incentive to imprison as many (largely minority) people as humanly possible for the benefits of one's shareholders exist. Prisons should in no way, shape, or form be run as a for-profit industry.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Wylie posted:

A lot of the right believe still that Nixon Did Nothing Wrong.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Kai Tave posted:

Just to pick one point out of your list, but yes and no. It's true that the War on Drugs has provided the for-profit prison industry in America a convenient pipeline to stuff their prisons full, but ultimately even abolishing the whole War on Drugs will only put a temporary damper on things so long as the perverse incentive to imprison as many (largely minority) people as humanly possible for the benefits of one's shareholders exist. Prisons should in no way, shape, or form be run as a for-profit industry.

The thing is, if we roll back the war on drugs, the vast majority of easy (and "moral") arrests and sentences that fill the for-profit prisons dry up. Then you can convince a lot more people that "hey, these fucks just want to lock people up so they get more money", and hopefully get rid of the whole dumb system.

Kale
May 14, 2010

mcmagic posted:

I think that's largely the Republican media machine projecting something for it's base to be afraid and all riled up about, but it's kind of something that would just have to happen for a democracy to have a hope of staying functional.

The way I see it, if Mueller's report comes out and Trump is as involved in a collusion with a foreign power scheme as it's increasingly starting to look like the conclusion the Mueller report will reach, then what choice do they have? For the Republicans if they'd kept the house they could just do whatever and come up with some excuse not to introduce articles of impeachment and it wouldn't effect their bases opinions terribly much....maybe. For the Democrats though they're practically bound by the rule of law and kind of giving a poo poo about things to some extent to introduce the articles of impeachment even if he's going to be acquitted in the Senate.

Where things go from there I don't know because I just can't see the majority of the American people being okay with having a guy in the oval office for at least another two years that's demonstrably guilty as poo poo of selling the country out to foreign operatives for a power grab. Like all the bullshit up until now pales in comparison to that sort of situation and I don't see how it's something you can just wait out and turn into yet another "referendum on Trump" and just hope he doesn't turn around and do something else to sell the country out to another power.

Kale fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Dec 11, 2018

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

Pillbug

Kai Tave posted:

I agree that they should be abolished but don't know how localized the laws are that enable them, which can make rollback through legislation harder. But like many for-profit enterprises, I doubt these companies are keeping much on the books for a rainy day. They're operating and financed as if they're going to keep on churning at the same growth rate. If you lop a permanent, conservative 10% off their business, it could be enough put a lot of them under and make the rest of the industry unattractive to investors. Suddenly there's a lot less interest in defending the industry, too.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

pseudanonymous posted:

I personally like AOC, but I don't think people need to jump down someone's throat because they aren't that impressed at this point.

But yes, I'm the lovely person for wanting a civil debate without insulting someone for disagreeing with you.

There wasn't actually a debate to be had. LLCoolJD was trying to shut down discussion and dampen enthusiasm, not actually have a conversation. They said stupid things, were contradicted, and went "well nuh UH" and left in a huff because nobody bought into their calmhitler.txt centrist bullshit.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

We should strive for the unattainable because in our political world, where every change is fought by the opposition, reaching for the obtainable means reaching for nothing at all.

Wylie
Jun 27, 2005

Kale posted:

The way I see it, if Mueller's report comes out and Trump is as involved in a collusion with a foreign power scheme as it's increasingly starting to look like the conclusion the Mueller report will reach, then what choice do they have? For the Republicans if they'd kept the house they could just do whatever and come up with some excuse not to introduce articles of impeachment and it wouldn't effect their bases opinions terribly much....maybe. For the Democrats though they're practically bound by the rule of law and kind of giving a poo poo about things to some extent to introduce the articles of impeachment even if he's going to be acquitted in the Senate.

My greatest fear (that I almost don't dare to speak into existence) is that Mueller's report is going to say "Well, Russia did everything they could do to help, and Trump's side sure benefited from it, but there's not enough connective tissue between the two to establish a conspiracy between them." There are enough crimes out there already to support impeachment of a Normal President, but we don't have one of those right now. I still think the Dems will have to draw up articles and impeach him, but I don't know if the Senate will bail on him in that case like I think they will if Mueller truly can establish a conspiracy.

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

Pillbug

Mendrian posted:

We should strive for the unattainable because in our political world, where every change is fought by the opposition, reaching for the obtainable means reaching for nothing at all.

Slogans like this are cliche but there's a simpler truth to it, too, and one that Trump (wittingly or not) is pretty good at: when your opening position is outrageously high, you anchor the negotiation high.

A few years ago I had a job that had me negotiate about 1000 individual contracts over 2 years. We were only negotiating on price. Straight up win-lose negotiations. The whole project was like a giant social science experiment. We were willing to accept ~5% discounts. We had no real leverage if no one gave us anything. It was all pure rhetoric. We opened with unprompted requests for 21% discounts. Counter-parties flipped the gently caress out. Some screamed. Some laughed. Some cried. These were negotiations with senior managers of companies, not some intern you can bully. We averaged ~8% discounts, which included those that gave zero discount. The only ones that escaped were the ones who didn't play the game. They ignored us entirely, disappeared, or strung us along until we gave up with them because we were running out of time and there were other suckers. Hell, quite a few accepted the 21% discount, no questions asked.

Obviously I learned a poo poo ton from that job. First, I can put up with incredibly uncomfortable conversations now. Second, always ask for way, way more than you expect. And third, don't even play the game if you realize you're on the other side.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

I wonder where these ex-Senators fall on the scale of: concerned, troubled, troublingly concerned and concerningly troubled.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

wizzardstaff posted:

Hey, remember Righter, the dating app that launched this month with the goal of connecting men and women to form traditional, right-wing relationships just like God and Ronald Reagan intended?

It’s charging 25 bucks a month to give you medical advice.

Read the disclaimer carefully.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Is Brexit still happening or not?

not until they locate The Mace after a Labour PM absconded with it

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Besesoth posted:

Read the disclaimer carefully.

There is indeed a fun toy surprise inside.

Wylie
Jun 27, 2005

Feinne posted:

There is indeed a fun toy surprise inside.

I feel certain they just mean "no refunds, if we charge your account for a month we won't give it back," but they're entirely incapable of not grifting at all times.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

pseudanonymous posted:

Wow the groupthink in this thread is hilarious.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Btw this is the laziest loving name for a sockpuppet account

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
https://twitter.com/annalecta/status/1072209868650627072

(This is from the 90s, but it's tied to Paul Erickson and his associates. Apparently they have a long history of doing clandestine work for foreign agents.)

SneezeOfTheDecade fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Dec 11, 2018

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Saros posted:

Apart from the universal jobs guarantee basically every other western country... Has all those things despite being less wealthy and powerful than the US?

We have something a bit like the jobs guarantee, at least compared to the US. If you are unemployed/underemployed and are actively seeking work then you receive Newstart payments every fortnight, and you keep receiving them until you get a job. It doesn't 'run out' or get denied because you didn't have a good enough reason for losing your job, like US unemployment payments.

(Note that due to Liberal Party assholery there are more and more onerous requirements on you as time goes on. We are far from a socialist paradise, just better than the US)

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Besesoth posted:

There wasn't actually a debate to be had. LLCoolJD was trying to shut down discussion and dampen enthusiasm, not actually have a conversation. They said stupid things, were contradicted, and went "well nuh UH" and left in a huff because nobody bought into their calmhitler.txt centrist bullshit.

Dude, his/her first post mentioning AOC was a praise for AOC re: her calling out the paid for by lobbyist orientation poo poo that AOC was tweeting about over the week/weekend. There was a small throwaway bit about how he wasn’t a fan of her, which he’s totally allowed to think.

For whatever reason that small throwaway bit triggered you guys who felt the need to jump in and defend her for whatever reason instead of talking about the poo poo that matters: the lobbyist indoctrination bullshit.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Dec 11, 2018

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Boris Galerkin posted:

Dude, his/her first post mentioning AOC was a praise for AOC re: her calling out the paid for by lobbyist orientation poo poo that AOC was tweeting about over the week/weekend. There was a small throwaway bit about how he wasn’t a fan of her, which he’s totally allowed to think.

For whatever reason that small throwaway bit triggered you guys who felt the need to jump in and defend her for whatever reason instead of talking about the poo poo that matters: the lobbyist indoctrination bullshit.

You're the sort of person who makes "triggered" jokes but I'll respond anyway. There were exactly four posts responding to them in the three pages that followed, one of which was a legitimate "why not?" and two of which were obvious jokes. When they answered "why not?", it was obvious from their answer that they weren't actually interested in engaging with the subject matter and were just buying into the centrist "nothing matters we can't fix anything" horseshit. Nobody is defending My Waifu AOC, everybody is mocking someone who's Got An Opinion but hasn't actually done the homework to back it up. (And frankly, people who Defend My Waifu AOC get mocked just as hard in this thread.)

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
If somebody actually has substantive, discussion-provoking criticisms of AOC then go ahead and lay your cards on the table. Going "abolish ICE and affordable college, pfff, get a load of THIS pie-in-the-sky daydreamer" is not that. That some dude flounced because people made fun of him for trotting out the same tired "all of these ideas are impossible" nonsense that Fox News has been whining about since AOC got elected is entirely his problem, not some perfidious hive mind stifling dissent.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Wylie posted:

I feel certain they just mean "no refunds, if we charge your account for a month we won't give it back," but they're entirely incapable of not grifting at all times.

Yeah, it's weird wording, but it does sound like that's all it means. You can still cancel (if only because Apple owns the iTunes end subscription button and app developers can't turn it off) but you can't get a refund for any monthly charge that went through.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

I predict this week Trump will take a poo poo.

I am a master psychic!

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck

SocketWrench posted:

I predict this week Trump will take a poo poo.

I am a master psychic!

please he isn't due to make a tweet for like another 4 hours minimum

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Besesoth posted:

https://twitter.com/annalecta/status/1072209868650627072

(This is from the 90s, but it's tied to Paul Erickson and his associates. Apparently they have a long history of doing clandestine work for foreign agents.)

Same dude that fleeced his followers for decades over "The Rapture!". This does not surprise me in the least

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
I forgot how bad he sucked.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I had completely forgotten about that time when Maria Butina's boss hosed up and made his Twitter public for a day, and then everyone read his old tweets

https://twitter.com/KT_So_It_Goes/s...ingawful.com%2F

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

The Glumslinger posted:

I had completely forgotten about that time when Maria Butina's boss hosed up and made his Twitter public for a day, and then everyone read his old tweets

https://twitter.com/KT_So_It_Goes/s...ingawful.com%2F

that was the internet overreacting. he didn't gently caress up, pretty sure it was public all along, and the message is essentially innocuous (it's just reads funny given what we know)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Rinkles posted:

that was the internet overreacting. he didn't gently caress up, pretty sure it was public all along, and the message is essentially innocuous (it's just reads funny given what we know)

Whatever you say, Vlad...