Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

EponymousMrYar posted:

Heat and Wildfire aren't bad on their own, the real problem is them mixing. Wildfire is an interesting take on a damage buff while Heat is an interesting take on a damage stance that you need to maintain. It's where they meet that I have the most consistent problem with them because I keep getting tripped up on 'ammo removes heat generation.'

IMO they don't mesh well and that's the core problem with MCH. Heat is fine because it lets you do sicknasty kickflips and makes your normal rotation more interesting. Wildfire is fine because it captures the essence of 'John Fuckin' Madden' (AKA unloading a slow-firing weapon in rapid-fire time on a dude) and gives you a huge number.

And while both those things together do indeed equal the awesomeness of 'John Fuckin' Madden doing Sicknasty Kickflips for a Big Number' getting them to work together is like trying to drive stick when you've mostly driven automatic: there's extra things you have to do and you have to do it right or the whole thing comes to a halt.
Yeah, this is basically the problem. The two mechanics interact in really dumb and unfun ways that require low latency and super-precise ability use to actually make the most of, and it's just frustrating. I guess they could keep wildfire and dump heat, but MCH has been the least-played class by a good margin for two expansions now and of the two major mechanics heat adds a lot more to the class and gives a much more unique design space. Just swap wildfire out for some heat or overheat-based finisher or something.

Asimo fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Dec 11, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

BRD is the most fun job in the game

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Arist posted:

BRD is the most fun job in the game
:hai:

It's a little too complex for me I admit, but it is good and fun despite it.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Karasu Tengu posted:

Once you're at 70 the rotation lines up extremely well to a degree that makes the rotational melee classes look random.

Oh right, this is the bigger problem. I did my leveling back in HW but current MCH leveling has some really, really rough spots in it now.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I wanna Refulgent Arrow more than Bard lets me. :(

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
MCH apologists cannot overcome the designers love of having raids where the boss goes untargetable or adds phases that are hyper short short so wildfire just constantly gets deleted and you lose most of your big dps. It's a class that doesn't function without highly detailed knowledge of boss fights before you even fight them and doesn't mesh well with any encounter design done in the last expansion.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

MCH apologists cannot overcome the designers love of having raids where the boss goes untargetable or adds phases that are hyper short short so wildfire just constantly gets deleted and you lose most of your big dps. It's a class that doesn't function without highly detailed knowledge of boss fights before you even fight them and doesn't mesh well with any encounter design done in the last expansion.

This is literally an issue only for Exfaust, and Catastrophe if you miss a gcd or two. Maybe Guardian as well?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

I have progressed 2.5 of 3 tiers as MCH and I have not had this issue. Learning when it is and is not safe to wildfire or any other big DPS cooldown is literally part of learning any fight as any class and trying to single out MCH as special is ignoring at least half of the DPS and one of the tanks.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

It's a class that doesn't function without highly detailed knowledge of boss fights before you even fight them and doesn't mesh well with any encounter design done in the last expansion.
This argument can be made for every class in the game and is the core conceit behind Savage Raiding (learn mechanics -> execute mechanics -> optimize damage -> clear.)

Yes MCH is the one most bitten by this. But everyone else is still bitten by it and that encourages the development of player skill. Yes this means that MCH requires a higher skill base in order to play well. This is not a problem in and of itself.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

EponymousMrYar posted:

This argument can be made for every class in the game and is the core conceit behind Savage Raiding (learn mechanics -> execute mechanics -> optimize damage -> clear.)

Yes MCH is the one most bitten by this. But everyone else is still bitten by it and that encourages the development of player skill. Yes this means that MCH requires a higher skill base in order to play well. This is not a problem in and of itself.

:emptyquote:

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Asimo posted:

Yeah, this is basically the problem. The two mechanics interact in really dumb and unfun ways that require low latency and super-precise ability use to actually make the most of, and it's just frustrating. I guess they could keep wildfire and dump heat, but MCH has been the least-played class by a good margin for two expansions now and of the two major mechanics heat adds a lot more to the class and gives a much more unique design space. Just swap wildfire out for some heat or overheat-based finisher or something.

Guess which stupid motherfucker raids with MCH at 250ms ping and still enjoys it? I've resigned myself to never getting a 6GCD overheat, but MCH still plays perfectly fine even at high ping. It's not like any other job at this ping would be going smoothly as well.

Also, as previously mentioned, with a proper rotation at 70 heat, ammo and wildfire all come together really smoothly.

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

And the Lord Josh said, "Blessed are those cast away by Belichick, theirs is the kingdom of Denver." (Tebow 1:25)
I think my favorite part of how janky MCH is is that flamethrower can be used for up to ten seconds, but using it for more than five is an absolutely terrible idea 99.999999999999% of the time.

Like there's more obvious/more egregious jank than that, but that bit is so silly.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

the bossfight starts and i immediately unload ten full seconds of hot fire on his rear end. then once my weapon has cooled down i reapply my gauss barrel, popping wildfire as i shoot him a ton with my sick gun and use barrel stabilizer to make sure i don’t overheat

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Kaubocks posted:

the bossfight starts and i immediately unload ten full seconds of hot fire on his rear end. then once my weapon has cooled down i reapply my gauss barrel, popping wildfire as i shoot him a ton with my sick gun and use barrel stabilizer to make sure i don’t overheat

:staredog:

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Kaubocks posted:

You trying to give me an aneurysm here?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Kaubocks posted:

Oh no.

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A ROLL INTO THE ORCHESTRION. ITS METAL (BRUTE JUSTICE MODE) AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, BRUTE JUSTICE. I DO EVERY MOVE AND I DO EVERY MOVE HARD. MAKIN WHOOSHING SOUNDS WHEN I SLAM DOWN SOME UPLANDERS OR EVEN WHEN I MESS UP MY OGCDS. NOT MANY CAN SAY THEY ESCAPED EORZEAS MOST DANGEROUS PRIMAL. I CAN. I SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO PEOPLE IN MY STATIC AND ALL THEY DO IS PROVE PEOPLE IN CATGIRL SIMULATORS CAN STILL BE IMMATURE JEKRS. AND IVE LEARNED ALL THE LINES AND IVE LEARNED HOW TO MAKE MYSELF AND MY PARTY FINDER LESS LONELY BY SHOUTING EM ALL. 5 GCDS INCLUDING COOL DOWN EVERY 90 SEConds

Xyven
Jun 4, 2005

Check to induce a ban

I'm leveling MCH now and it is by far the worst low level class I've played. It's less fun than sub-50 PLD!

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Xyven posted:

I'm leveling MCH now and it is by far the worst low level class I've played. It's less fun than sub-50 PLD!

Let's not go crazy here! Surely MCH has more than 3 buttons below level 50?

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

#GivePaladinHoly

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Captain Cappy posted:

Let's not go crazy here! Surely MCH has more than 3 buttons below level 50?

It has 4 and you can only use one of those when things are at less than 20% health :v:

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

MCH below 50 is still a hell of a lot better than SMN or DRG below 50. Really, classes that are fun to play below ~60 are the exception rather than the rule.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

We don't talk about sub-51 Summoner.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Eureka Pyros is good.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

We don't talk about sub-51 Summoner.

sub-51 is honestly being generous imo. i'd say sub-60.

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

I recently switched back to lalafell, so here's some glamour shots of my main jobs:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Mordiceius posted:

Eureka Pyros is good.

:chloe:

Eureka will never be good until it fixes its obsession with RNG layered RNG. And stops making competition for the Notorious Monsters needed for the weapon. It's really lame when people let a Penthesilea window pass because they'd rather spawn Skoll.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

It's really lame when people let a Penthesilea window pass because they'd rather spawn Skoll.

Oh no. A boss you only have to kill twice for your weapon. And you missed a window! How will you ever recover?

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Mordiceius posted:

Oh no. A boss you only have to kill twice for your weapon. And you missed a window! How will you ever recover?

The windows are lame, the boss requirements are lame, hunts are lame, pyros is lame.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Failboattootoot posted:

The windows are lame, the boss requirements are lame, hunts are lame, pyros is lame.

mlyp

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Genovera posted:

I recently switched back to lalafell, so here's some glamour shots of my main jobs:

WHM, NIN, DRG, WAR?

fake edit: Oh wait, something ACN.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Mordiceius posted:

Kind of a problem when Heat Waves can not show up for 11 hours.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Kind of a problem when Heat Waves can not show up for 11 hours.

While this is true it can also show up multiple times in a row too. Penny gets spawned so often that by the time you have the 300 crystals you need to actually use her widgets you'll probably have an excess. I had like 15 of the bastards before I had 300 crystals.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

ImpAtom posted:

While this is true it can also show up multiple times in a row too. Penny gets spawned so often that by the time you have the 300 crystals you need to actually use her widgets you'll probably have an excess. I had like 15 of the bastards before I had 300 crystals.

It's so ~randumb~

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Eureka will never be good

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

Praying for Shadoweureka to not have a relic in it and then be completely abandoned.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Bleu posted:

Praying for Shadoweureka to not have a relic in it and then be completely abandoned.

Every dungeon in Bloodshadow will have a separate leveling system and you'll have to level up in the dungeon before you can clear the boss.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Eureka is already good.

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

SwissArmyDruid posted:

WHM, NIN, DRG, WAR?

fake edit: Oh wait, something ACN.

Yeah, the third one is SCH. I mostly heal, so I included both it and WHM.

I wish I could justify a unique AST glamour, but 10 plates doesn't get me very far (right now it shares with SCH). I'd really like at least 25 plates so I can have unique looks for my DoH/DoL classes too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

Karasu Tengu posted:

They're not wrong. Nothing I love more than completely randomly losing 300-400 dps because the game felt like I shouldn't get a crit for an entire song phase.
Statistically this is just as ridiculous an argument as the boss jumping during wildfire argument against MCH is. Even if you have a not particularly good base crit rate of 0.21 (roughly what you would have with full scaevan and nothing else) and only straight shot for crit buffs then the odds of going a full 30 seconds on a single target with 0 DoT crits are about 1/1670. Paying attention to party crit buffs for snapshotting and having a better crit set than that lowers the chances even more.