Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Bieeanshee posted:

Holy gently caress, I want that... but I don't think a PDF will do it justice, and I can't justify spending that kind of money on an adventure module.
I justified it by pulling (with sadness in my heart, but not as much as maybe I should because I didn't really want more spells) my SotDL Occult Philosophy pledge. I am at the $70 level, here, instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

quote:

To prevail and escape Wir-Heal they must brave its nightmare-haunted shifting realities, find ways beneath the land, break into the Titans' sleeping minds and steal their golden thoughts. This will put the Titans back to sleep, shift the realities back to something more closely approximating normal, and you get to keep the gold.

Cool, they're making OSR Persona

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
So after six years of silence and missing stretch goals Technoir is back. Justin Alexander has taken it over and will fill the stretch goals.
I wasn't a Technoir backer but I own the game, it's a pretty innovative mystery game that helps generate the mystery for you and says seeks to create cyberpunk noir which it does pretty well. It's good for one shots or short campaigns.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Cool, they're making OSR Persona
Weirdly apt given that the structure of Persona 3 is weirdly like an old-school campaign. You have a big ol' megadungeon where most of the XP and treasure gets won, you have the conveniently nearby down you go to between expeditions to do downtime stuff...

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

neaden posted:

So after six years of silence and missing stretch goals Technoir is back. Justin Alexander has taken it over and will fill the stretch goals.
I wasn't a Technoir backer but I own the game, it's a pretty innovative mystery game that helps generate the mystery for you and says seeks to create cyberpunk noir which it does pretty well. It's good for one shots or short campaigns.

Technoir is genuinely one of the best RPGs ever so it's great that it's back in print.

It's a loving shame that the new owner is The Alexandrian.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Dec 11, 2018

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Deep Space D-6 is finally shipping! :toot:

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Lemon-Lime posted:

Technoir is genuinely one of the best RPGs ever so it's great that it's back in print.

It's a loving shame that the new owner is The Alexandrian.
Oh I almost forgot all about that fuckin dude.

Is he still griping about dissociated mechanics or has he gotten over it. And what's his weird 3e nonsense approach to gaming going to mean for technoir?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I thought the Alexandrian was Jason, not Justin

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
My copy of Key Flow showed up yesterday. My group likes Keyflower and drafting games, so I'm predicting a hit. Does seem significantly less brutal and cutthroat, but we'll see how it goes.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Mors Rattus posted:

I thought the Alexandrian was Jason, not Justin

My bad if I got them mixed up, but Dream Machine still seem to have done nothing except release a handful of OSR supplements, which gives me zero confidence they're the right people to continue working on Technoir.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Dec 11, 2018

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Nah I looked it up and this is in fact the Alexandrian.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Well, he doesn’t just like OSR games, he’s also into *checks notes* D&D 3.5e. Oh...

(Gumshoe, he’s also into Gumshoe.)

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
:rip: Technoir. :(

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Rip Technoir but LONG LIVE TECHNOIR D20 BABY!!!!!

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
I mean, he can't steward it worse than it was, and I think what he's written on Gumshoe has been fine. I'm cautiously optimistic about getting a workable hexnoir and some decent transmissions.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Got my corebook PDF for Spire and I love everything about Knight. Becoming a progressively more powerful drunken thug that culminates in a batshit grail quest of your choice is exactly what I want out of a class.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

Buck Wildman posted:

Got my corebook PDF for Spire and I love everything about Knight. Becoming a progressively more powerful drunken thug that culminates in a batshit grail quest of your choice is exactly what I want out of a class.

I go back and forth on whether my favorite class in Spire is the Knight or the hard-boiled private eye mini-advancement that culminates in "the Goddess of the Drow walks into your office with the case of a lifetime."

The knight does have that ability to instantly know the best person to pik a fight with, though, which is one of my favorite class abilities of all time.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

GimpInBlack posted:

The knight does have that ability to instantly know the best person to pik a fight with, though, which is one of my favorite class abilities of all time.

This is what Eyeball a Fella should have been, Palladium.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

"You bear an encyclopedic knowledge of where to get drunk" was when I was like "this, this is me."

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

You're all sleeping on the best Knight upgrade, which is owning a rowboat that is mostly functional, and giving it a cool name.

Also, I love that the grail quests/pub crawls eventually arrive at 'actually you're going to fight a dragon, find the grail, and redeem the order.' That kind of reconstruction of myths is always something I find really powerful when done well, and the Knight sets up an excellent path to that for the player.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

Deep Space D-6 is finally shipping! :toot:

Only a full year late!

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yeah,someone is going to have to provide a shout-out when the spire content becomes publicly purchasable.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

DalaranJ posted:

Yeah,someone is going to have to provide a shout-out when the spire content becomes publicly purchasable.
Whaddya mean? Core book and lots of supplemental material has been available for months.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Warthur posted:

Whaddya mean? Core book and lots of supplemental material has been available for months.

Great, thanks!

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Joe Slowboat posted:

Also, I love that the grail quests/pub crawls eventually arrive at 'actually you're going to fight a dragon, find the grail, and redeem the order.' That kind of reconstruction of myths is always something I find really powerful when done well, and the Knight sets up an excellent path to that for the player.

I think a Knight and an Idol with the Truth is Beauty move could be a really potent combinations. I mean, if he thinks he's the rightful king, and the Idol is warping reality to reinforce that, then hey presto the revolution has a legitimate pretender to the throne. has to be legit, everyone's been singing that song all week !

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

dwarf74 posted:

So I got a notification that Kevin Crawford backed a thing and I think he's right.

This looks gorgeous and brilliant. One of those inventive rpg books that also serves as a gorgeous artifact.
Silent Titans

holy fuk

Bruxism
Apr 29, 2009

Absolutely not anxious about anything.

Bleak Gremlin

dwarf74 posted:

So I got a notification that Kevin Crawford backed a thing and I think he's right.

This looks gorgeous and brilliant. One of those inventive rpg books that also serves as a gorgeous artifact.
Silent Titans

Yesss! I've been waiting for this one. I'm a huge fan of Patrick Stuarts writing and the art and style of this book blows me away. Throwing down for this one without delay.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Bruxism posted:

Yesss! I've been waiting for this one. I'm a huge fan of Patrick Stuarts writing and the art and style of this book blows me away. Throwing down for this one without delay.

Word. Patrick Stuart = instabuy.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
I loved reading Technoir, but in play I didn't think the adjective thing really worked as well as I had hoped. I played it with a few different groups, too. It was fine, just not what I had hoped.

The plot map, though? That poo poo is fantastic. I'm totally using that mechanic for a game - I just need to get the rest of the game to work around it. I tried a simple reskinning and it wasn't right. (I reskinned it to Harry Potter, thinking that applying adjectives using spells would work great, but I wasn't really happy with it there either.)

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
The plot map can basically be reused wholesale in pretty much any other game that has NPCs the PCs can interact with, it's fantastic.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

dwarf74 posted:

Silent Titans

gritted my teeth and backed this at the $70 level cause it is right up my alley

also lol, got the ring and everything:

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Explain the plot map mechanic to me

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Since a casual look at the first page of the subforum doesn't reveal a podcast/actual play thread: Does anyone in here know where one might go looking up the information needed to set up appropriate tax stuff and minimize legal risks for setting up a Patreon for a podcast which features a mixed cast of American, Canadian and Icelandic folks?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Watch out whichever goon was in charge of that beekeeping board game, you've got some competition now for "game about bees by a beekeeper" :v:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1714503507/forage-the-bee-game

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Mojo Jojo posted:

Broadly: when important things come up because the players investigate things or lean on their connections, write them down. When they come up again, connect them to other things you've written down with a line, and decide what those lines mean. Use a table pre-populated with setting-specific people, places, events, and things so you're neither making it all up at the table nor spending hours metaplotting in your downtime.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

homullus posted:

Broadly: when important things come up because the players investigate things or lean on their connections, write them down. When they come up again, connect them to other things you've written down with a line, and decide what those lines mean. Use a table pre-populated with setting-specific people, places, events, and things so you're neither making it all up at the table nor spending hours metaplotting in your downtime.
Yes this. And the appeal is that you can essentially procedurally generate a cool unique mystery that can surprise even the GM. The GM will always be a few steps ahead of the players and ultimately is the one deciding what the mystery is, but it gets built over time in play based on the actions of the PCs.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

FirstAidKite posted:

Watch out whichever goon was in charge of that beekeeping board game, you've got some competition now for "game about bees by a beekeeper" :v:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1714503507/forage-the-bee-game

Oh no, I will be ruined!

Actually, while the game looks visually cute it appears to be a production nightmare. I am a little surprised they hit over $22k already but then I noticed the creator is one of the people Flow Hive and I was less surprised because they have a huge following from the $13,000,000 they raised for a product that isn't scalable or affordable for beekeeping.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/flow-hive-honey-on-tap-directly-from-your-beehive#/

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Mojo Jojo posted:

Technoir playsets (transmissions) have a 6x6 table of contacts and plot elements:

You roll three times on this to start (or pick three if you have something in mind), then place them in a triangle pattern in the middle of a blank piece of paper and determine how they fit together. Maybe you rolled Woo Fat, the Wanchai Massacre and the Bank of China, and you decide that the Massacre was a botched hit on Woo Fat by the Bank because he unwittingly stumbled into owning encrypted data disks containing evidence of the Bank systematically cooking the books going years back.

As part of character creations, the PCs all tie themselves to one of more of the connections by getting favours (like getting a loan, or buying stolen gear, or getting cyberware implanted for cheap). The first time a connection does a favour, their name is added to the plot map; the second time it happens, you have to link the connection to one of the existing nodes. Billie Ng gets hit up twice for favours? Well, she knows the Bank of China is looking for those data disks, and she's actively trying to beat it to finding them.

This continues every time the PCs go to their connections for information or favours while in play, which means you eventually end up with a cyberpunk conspiracy plot that gets organically generated in play.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

nesbit37 posted:

Oh no, I will be ruined!

Actually, while the game looks visually cute it appears to be a production nightmare. I am a little surprised they hit over $22k already but then I noticed the creator is one of the people Flow Hive and I was less surprised because they have a huge following from the $13,000,000 they raised for a product that isn't scalable or affordable for beekeeping.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/flow-hive-honey-on-tap-directly-from-your-beehive#/

Can you explain to me what about that isn't able to be scaled out? I'm not asking because I don't believe you or anything, I believe you, I just know nothing about actual beekeeping and beekeeper hives short of what you'd see on a How It's Made type video so idk anything about the logistics involved with beekeeping.

Also, just picturing that this face is your face while you're looking at the kickstarter lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Cat Face Joe posted:

gritted my teeth and backed this at the $70 level cause it is right up my alley

also lol, got the ring and everything:

Grandpa, what were the central days of the internet like?

Well billy, a subset of the populace had a habit of hiding a man's gaping, horrific anus in everything they could, using his wedding ring as a secret signifier to others that that was indeed what they were looking at