Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

dreadmojo posted:

I've played the first few hours of 3 several times and it feels bland and laboured compared to the ideas in the equivalent part of 4 - you're in a COD parody! you're disarming a nuclear missile in flight! you're the president! ALEINS ATTACK! holy poo poo the worlds exploding! you're in a 50s sitcom parody! you're in a matrix parody, butt-naked! you're destroying everything with a giant robot!! you're flying a spaceship while 80s power pop plays!

Then the game starts and it's just solid fun imo, I actually got right into upgrading the cars so you can totally do it if you want to, it's just you can leap tall buildings and run faster than a train as well.

If I'd squeezed sr3 dry first I would probably feel different, but I didn't so I loved 4.

e: plus it has the best romance scenes in any video game ever

Yeah, rocketing through a spaceship in my power armor to The Touch is a pretty tough moment to beat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

The White Dragon posted:

basically the worst thing saints row 3 did was remove the minigame where you spray poo poo at rich peoples' houses

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Carmant posted:

Metal Gear Survive is good

It was only a matter of time....

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Carmant posted:

wow. Just gently caress you.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

Panzeh posted:

that isn't really true but then it's a rutibex opinion

80% of the game is in the deck construction phase and vetting your choices against whatever meta themes are running better win ratios. That's how it's been forever.

He's totally right in that draft is the best way to play MTG.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Carmant posted:

The thread is for bad game opinions, not bad game lies

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It feels like Saint's Row and GTA have gotten into ruts (Agents of Mayhem seems to be basically discount Saint's Row reflavoured slightly) design and gameplay wise and don't really take advantage of the sandbox anymore. Instead of a playground it becomes a list of chores.

There's some real potential in a proper open world supervillain game. Have yourself activate various gimmick modes like freezing over half the city or turning everyone into monsters/heavily armed lunatics that try to kill you and play cat and mouse with superhero bosses across the entire map.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

There's some real potential in a proper open world supervillain game. Have yourself activate various gimmick modes like freezing over half the city or turning everyone into monsters/heavily armed lunatics that try to kill you and play cat and mouse with superhero bosses across the entire map.

so prototype...

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It feels like Saint's Row and GTA have gotten into ruts (Agents of Mayhem seems to be basically discount Saint's Row reflavoured slightly) design and gameplay wise and don't really take advantage of the sandbox anymore. Instead of a playground it becomes a list of chores.

The entire open world genre is in a rut and has been there since about 2001 when GTA 3 came out. To this day I can't think of a game that's actually done anything too adventurous with the formula except BOTW. Which is why that game rules.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

aka they're open world games

people give SR2 tons of praise because its list of chores is more fun on average

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That was basically saints row 4 and it was fun as h*ck

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

worst song, played on ugliest guitar
Red Dead Redemption 2 is boring.

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich

joedevola posted:

Its just so loving dull, if someone said "please create me a game simulating cowboy life circa 1900" its perfect but as a fun videogame that makes me want to play and do things it is useless.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

veni veni veni posted:

I wish crafting in games would just go away forever. I wish survival games were an extension of what "survival" used be in games, surviving the game with limited resources ala Resident Evil. That is actually fun.

Do you consider stuff like enchanting in Skyrim to be crafting? I like that type of "crafting", but the "collect 500 different pieces of random trash to make an arrow for your bow" type can go gently caress itself.

CrRoMa posted:

Its just so loving dull, if someone said "please create me a game simulating cowboy life circa 1900" its perfect but as a fun videogame that makes me want to play and do things it is useless.

it's the culmination of what Rockstar has been working towards in the past twenty years. Boring stuff that might tell a story or something so it's great

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

The entire open world genre is in a rut and has been there since about 2001 when GTA 3 came out. To this day I can't think of a game that's actually done anything too adventurous with the formula except BOTW.

But we already talked about Saints Row 2

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

worst song, played on ugliest guitar
I used to despise crafting and considered it to be the most rank nerd poo poo ever.

Then I picked up No Man's Sky recently and I get excited about finding a planet that's rich in copper so I can feed it into my portable refiner so I can get some chromatic metal to feed my warp drive.

The game has broken me.

So unpopular opinion: No Man's Sky is good as hell and a loving technical miracle that made a terrible first impression because Sony forced the Hello Games guy to go on the Colbert show and tell lies about what you could do.

Further to Red Dead Redemption, it has led to one of the funniest YouTube thumbnails I've ever seen.

Just imagining all the YouTube clickbait parasites who made a living from GTA5 trying to get their 12 year old viewers hyped about a loving horse drawn buggy is the best.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Youtube is the worst loving thing to ever happen to games. Years ago if you were stuck on a puzzle you'd google it and find a gamefaq or someone asking for help on a forum that you could ctrl-f and find exactly what you needed in 15 seconds. Now you have to go to youtube and skip through a 10 minute gameplay video to find the 5 relevant seconds in a wasteland of some self-serious retard talking to himself to fill dead air

I can't even imagine what kind of broken person would actually sit there at a computer and watch another person play the game for them for 10+ minutes when they could be playing the game themselves, but I'll save the twitch rant for another day

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich
Breath of the wild has awful mechanics and controls, the world is too large and too empty. I dont want to just poo poo on it too aggressively but it is far and away the most overrated videogame i have ever played. 97 on metacritic for god sake. C'mon now. Its a good videogame but an awful Zelda.

I've played games I've loved, games I've hated and everything inbetween but nothing has gave me that feeling of really? Is this it quite like Zelda.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Agents of Mayhem is like someone mixed a MoBA and Crackdown together and then cut the budget so none of it works, it is not a Saints Row game.

The unpopular opinion part is its a way better game than the last two GTA games and Red Dead 2 combined

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

joedevola posted:

red dead redemption 2 i find fascinating - here's a story:

there's one mission where you go bear hunting. you chase down the bear, it almost mauls your friend, the mission ends. i decide to keep going, find the bear, and realize i don't have a bear gun equipped - so i'm like gently caress it and just unload with my dual pistols into the bear's face. the bear goes right through the bullets and pins me down and there's a huge elaborate scene where you get mauled - i manage to survive with a completely empty, flashing red health bar. i skin the bear, load the massive bear skin onto my horse and decide that my first priority is to get the bear skin to a trader - i get on the road, and i see a woman pinned under a broken wagon. I stop the horse, unpin the woman and save the day - she's limping a little bit, but is otherwise OK. She asks if I can take her to town, and my first instinct is to be "sure, get on my horse" - but my horse is already too loaded from the bear skin, so i have to pick one - the woman or the bear skin.

i almost loving died for that bear skin, man. i tell her she needs to hoof it, and i watch her start limping off towards the nearest town. i get the bear skin to the trader and sell it! woo!

now what's fascinating is that the above paragraph was not that interesting to play. i was riding around on my horse just travelling for at least seven real-world minutes, and the fight with the bear and finding the woman was obviously scripted, and frankly i did not enjoy galloping around on my horse praying that i wouldn't die. in fact, the experience above sucked total rear end. is it a brilliant game? yes. do i appreciate the deliberate design decision to limit fast travel in comparison with GTA/other open world games so I waste my time hoofing it around? nope.

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich
Twitch is the main source of entertainment in my house.

Its not so much that i find others playing games to be my favourite as much as its fatigue at all the awful tv shows people invest themselves in.

Mad men was boring, breaking bad was boring, game of thrones was boring, stranger things was boring. Westworld was offensively boring. All these shows have no substance and almost zero reason to care or be compelled from episode to episode. Utter tripe.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

The White Dragon posted:

that said i symphatize with your plight of games looking too dated. i always piss off tons of people when i say deus ex looks too dated for me to take seriously

that's because it's a bad and lame opinion for babies

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

poverty goat posted:

Youtube is the worst loving thing to ever happen to games. Years ago if you were stuck on a puzzle you'd google it and find a gamefaq or someone asking for help on a forum that you could ctrl-f and find exactly what you needed in 15 seconds. Now you have to go to youtube and skip through a 10 minute gameplay video to find the 5 relevant seconds in a wasteland of some self-serious retard talking to himself to fill dead air

I can't even imagine what kind of broken person would actually sit there at a computer and watch another person play the game for them for 10+ minutes when they could be playing the game themselves, but I'll save the twitch rant for another day

I've watched some let's plays of RPGs I'm interested in but don't have the time for, you can do other poo poo like cleaning or dishes.

The key is more than one interesting host, so it's conversation mixed in but it's still pretty shameful.

Kanish
Jun 17, 2004

CrRoMa posted:

Twitch is the main source of entertainment in my house.

Its not so much that i find others playing games to be my favourite as much as its fatigue at all the awful tv shows people invest themselves in.

Mad men was boring, breaking bad was boring, game of thrones was boring, stranger things was boring. Westworld was offensively boring. All these shows have no substance and almost zero reason to care or be compelled from episode to episode. Utter tripe.

whats a good show? youre pretty much running the gamut of popular thing is bad.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

poverty goat posted:

Disagreed

Years ago if you were stuck on a puzzle you'd google it and find a gamefaq or someone asking for help on a forum and you would end up with a bunch of semi-literate morons posting incomprehensible "solutions" to completely different problems than you had, and then yelling at each other for good measure.

At least with video you get something unambiguous and obvious.

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Kanish posted:

whats a good show? youre pretty much running the gamut of popular thing is bad.

In my opinion? The UK version of the office, nothing else comes close. Particularly the dreadful American version which takes the 14 episodes of magnificent British humour and inflates it to 200+ of slapstick shite because god knows Americans need another 100 hours sitting on their fat cunts stuffing junk food into their faces laughing at their tv with glazed eyes.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

CrRoMa posted:

In my opinion? The UK version of the office, nothing else comes close. Particularly the dreadful American version which takes the 14 episodes of magnificent British humour and inflates it to 200+ of slapstick shite because god knows Americans need another 100 hours sitting on their fat cunts stuffing junk food into their faces laughing at their tv with glazed eyes.

it's all we have :(

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

CrRoMa posted:

I think you might need therapy

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

I think you might need therapy

I think you need to watch better tv shows

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

CrRoMa posted:

I think you need to watch better tv shows

I don’t watch TV, it’s pablum for the masses :agesilaus:

Now let me tell you about why Pillars Of Eternity’s lore is so good, it all begins with the complexity of chanters as a playable class....

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich
Its a blessing that everything about pillars of eternity from the skill system to the graphical design to the loot just made me want to play Diablo 3

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

So you switched watching TV to watching Twitch.

How many shows did you watch? Like all the ones you listed were at most 1 hour a week of TV.

Do you watch Twitch only 1 hour a week?

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich
I think the last 2 shows that really made me care about television were Scrubs and Lost

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Lost was loving awful after the first 2 or 3 seasons?

Same with battlestar galactica.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

olives black posted:

that's because it's a bad and lame opinion for babies

*i smugly add another notch to the side of my hellcat, as the smouldering wreckage of olives black :qq:s in the distance*

Med School
Feb 27, 2012

Where did you learn how to do that?
Didn’t have time to read the whole thread at work but....

Monster Rancher is more interesting than Pokémon and Digimon and should have been the winner among those franchises, earning all the money in the world.

Monster Rancher is also cooler than Dead or Alive, for that matter, and deserves all of Tecmo’s time and resources.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

McGiggins posted:

Lost was loving awful after the first 2 or 3 seasons?

Same with battlestar galactica.

BSG was trash all the way through.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

Shibawanko posted:

BSG was trash all the way through.

Um... No????

It was good right up until (and explicitly not including) the final episode.

Battlestar Galactica Deadlock was pretty good too.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I didn’t care for the part where they found earth but they didn’t

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

CrRoMa posted:

And it will sell a billion dollars in microtransactions lol