Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

infernal machines posted:

it's default for office 2019 iirc. and normally i'd agree with you, but this guy can't even figure out how to get the installer to run

you have missed the point entirely

let me help you, here it is:

Lysidas posted:

do i need the 64-bit version? nah

should the installer crash as a way of helping me decide? lmfao no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
the point is press the button that says "install office" and receive a working office install for the one document you needed to use it for which did not constitute some weirdo edgecase where you had to manually janitor your install

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

no, you don't

you need the 32-bit version, which is the standard one you get if you don't go loving around with download options. the 64-bit version is for people who don't want plugins to work or are using excel as a database.

I deffo don't want any garbage plugins please

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
they're still weirdly popular in some environments and 64bit office has been the red headed step child of the office team for nearly 20 years, so it's still unsupported by pretty much everything

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

its too bad the Office plugin API doesn't use COM, otherwise they could just make the 64-bit version of Office host the COM objects in a separate 32-bit process and use normal COM proxying to marshall the method calls between the processes

mystes
May 31, 2006

pseudorandom name posted:

its too bad the Office plugin API doesn't use COM, otherwise they could just make the 64-bit version of Office host the COM objects in a separate 32-bit process and use normal COM proxying to marshall the method calls between the processes
I think it does use COM but the extensions are loaded in-process?

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

pseudorandom name posted:

yeah that's too bad they dont do this horrible awful thing that would probably be a security nightmare and break all kinds of poo poo

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

mystes posted:

I think it does use COM but the extensions are loaded in-process?

:thejoke:

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

from the newest windows beta build:

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

carry on then posted:

Finally.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

the point is press the button that says "install office" and receive a working office install for the one document you needed to use it for which did not constitute some weirdo edgecase where you had to manually janitor your install

on the other hand there are office installers out there where i'd prefer to be able to janitor the install

i for instance don't want or need access and would rather be without it, but now its installed thanks installer.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

you can do that, but in traditional ms fashion, only in the most obtuse way possible

you download the ctr deployment setup tool and make an xml deployment file that omits what you don't want, then pass that to the setup tool and download/install your bespoke office deployment

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

cinci zoo sniper posted:

public won't care for vr until it can play real games in vr. no one cares about 30 polygon model fighters, and no console can run skyrim vr at 90 frames stable at non-laughable resolution (idk if psvr has asw)

i dont think anyone wants to be immersed in todd howards janky universe no matter the FPS

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

how deep did Balmer get his babies into decades long term contracts before retiring???

leak the deets, you MS legal dept cowards!

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Bulgakov posted:

i dont think anyone wants to be immersed in todd howards janky universe no matter the FPS

no amount of nerd screeching will change the popularity of skyrim

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

you can do that, but in traditional ms fashion, only in the most obtuse way possible

you download the ctr deployment setup tool and make an xml deployment file that omits what you don't want, then pass that to the setup tool and download/install your bespoke office deployment

"go to this random github website and click some hceckboxes and itll make the completely illegible xml file that you need"

its wild that autodesk actually does something good. you launcher their installer and set all the options you want, then it spits out the xml file and a shortcut that uses it for you

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

BIGFOOT EROTICA posted:

"go to this random github website and click some hceckboxes and itll make the completely illegible xml file that you need"

its wild that autodesk actually does something good. you launcher their installer and set all the options you want, then it spits out the xml file and a shortcut that uses it for you

well, the random giuthub is microsoft's official github, but otherwise yeah. idk, i had to make templates for this before that was a thing so mine are all artisanally crafted bespoke XML written in notepad.

it's dumb and bad and there's literally no reason for them not to just make it part of the setup launcher, but this is microsoft, and the office team to boot, so gently caress you i guess.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

well, the random giuthub is microsoft's official github,

That's 100% of github.com now, though...

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

well, the random giuthub is microsoft's official github, but otherwise yeah. idk, i had to make templates for this before that was a thing so mine are all artisanally crafted bespoke XML written in notepad.

it's dumb and bad and there's literally no reason for them not to just make it part of the setup launcher, but this is microsoft, and the office team to boot, so gently caress you i guess.

this shocked me when i found out that it was their github page

i just assumed something like this from microsoft would be some technet domain that took 30 seconds to load based around a team foundation server with a front end running sharepoint

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

carry on then posted:

joke's on you, it's already in the september october november update

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

they appear to just do whatever the gently caress now, different teams put their poo poo wherever they feel like and there's no centralized repo for anything any more. most of the old support links don't work and also most of the new support links don't work

mystes
May 31, 2006

James Baud posted:

That's 100% of github.com now, though...
Github: Where do you want to Go today?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Git Hup your rear end!

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

BIGFOOT EROTICA posted:

would be some technet domain that took 30 seconds to load

Microsoft's websites really tend to be extremely slow, kind of embarrassing for a software company.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Lambert posted:

Microsoft's websites really tend to be extremely slow, kind of embarrassing for a software company.
Loading fast is a sign that a website isn't web 2.0 enough.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

If you run ASP.NET on IIS of course your web sight is gonna be slow

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

man, remember when the office installer had a checkbox menu where you could go down the line and select which programs and features you wanted to install? :allears:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

yeah, tbf office also had a fully packaged msi-based install as opposed to some bespoke streaming bullshit that doesn't integrate with anything

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

there's zero reason why they couldn't integrate the XML generator and the deployment tool into a thing that downloads the office you want based on your selected option, hell you can do it trivially yourself if you want to build a form to generate the xml and pipe it to the installer as a command argument, but again, gently caress you

sincerely,

the office team

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

even better, while MSIs were available for enterprise licensed office products up to office 2016, they ain't no more.

so if you're doing deployments and updates via sccm and wsus, go gently caress yourself, you're setting up parallel infrastructure to deploy office 2019 no matter how much money you want to spend

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

carry on then posted:

bing up your rear end you're fired

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

cinci zoo sniper posted:

public won't care for vr until it can play real games in vr. no one cares about 30 polygon model fighters, and no console can run skyrim vr at 90 frames stable at non-laughable resolution (idk if psvr has asw)

VR will never be able to play “real games” because gamers are all no older than 12 years old and have never played anything less than current gen consoles and graphics cards. any game that’s a few years old or has decreased LOD settings is, i guess, not a real game.

actually, most people are playing on low to mid end cards and 5 year old consoles; or on the console projected to outsell the PS4 or xbone, the 15 watt Switch.

but we tell ourselves the Steam hardware stats are fudged up by impoverished Chinese street children. because surely everyone is actually using RTX 2080s because that’s all everyone talks about. i think the truth is we’re all anonymous online and given the chance we’ll insult anyone’s “rig” and foolishly accuse anything without maxed settings “not a real game” because we are lovely, feeble people who hate ourselves deeply.

game development is all about economics and working within constraints and requirements, and if you aren’t an idiot you might actually find that really fascinating.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

PleasureKevin posted:

but we tell ourselves the Steam hardware stats are fudged up by impoverished Chinese street children. because surely everyone is actually using RTX 2080s because that’s all everyone talks about. i think the truth is we’re all anonymous online and given the chance we’ll insult anyone’s “rig” and foolishly accuse anything without maxed settings “not a real game” because we are lovely, feeble people who hate ourselves deeply.

console gamers have higher pixel count monitors than pc gamers, because consoles are played on the livingroom 4k tv, while pc games are played on a 1388x768 walmart special laptop

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Ah yes, that great upscaled sub-30 FPS 4K experience.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Lambert posted:

Ah yes, that great upscaled sub-30 FPS 4K experience.

shut the gently caress up!!!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

only worthwile vr game is my roommate sonic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nQB9VDuVu0

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Good news, the announcement was just another round of funding. For more than the total funding we'd had so far. Nice.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

orange sky posted:

Good news, the announcement was just another round of funding. For more than the total funding we'd had so far. Nice.

oh thanks that makes you easier to find

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Meh I don't care

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
was working on excel yesterday as per usual. went to filter a column using "october 2018" and it returned nothing. knowing this was impossible I went to edit the filter criteria and loving michaelsoft replaced what I entered with "oct-2018"

like jfc can't this goddamn company do anything right