Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

Niwrad posted:

They aren't that good no matter how good Rodgers is. Them winning out and sneaking into the playoffs would be funny because they would keep Philbin who is a bad coach.

I'd rather play them instead of the Seahawks.
They are only a few pieces away from contending. The Packers had tons of bad breaks and bounces this year. I'm thinking they'll contend next year after their 10 picks and new regime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

American McGay posted:

Even if the Packers somehow win the Super Bowl there's no chance Joe is becoming the HC. You guys have Stockholm syndrome.

No clue what anyone else is seeing that makes them think there's any chance Philbin is coming back. Is it because he was a HC elsewhere. Ooooh. I'm convinced.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
If he won the super bowl or made a deep run he would absolutely be kept.

Outside that yeah someone had to take the mantle and that is all it means.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Styles Bitchley posted:

Each week they keep losing more guys though. Even Stafford didn't look 100%. Losing Marvin Jones hurt a lot with Tate gone, Ellington was fine but then he went out too. Not sure if it's Stafford or JBC but they didn't adjust well to the replacements. Just check down passes and runs up the middle.

I'd put it 75% on JBC/Patricia and 25% on Stafford. Even when the Lions had all of their offensive pieces healthy, the offense was very rarely able to utilize them effectively. Some of that was on Stafford not throwing passes as accurately as he needed to, or taking sacks when he should have thrown the ball away, but from my perspective the far greater problem has been that while the offense has occasionally instituted some interesting plays (See the TD pass to Decker), on the whole the play design and playcalling are predictable, limited, and stale. I mean, just look at this:

Three passes beyond ten yards. Three! Against the Cardinals! And the receivers might be scrubs, but Cooter is doing them absolutely zero favors in terms of play design as the field isn't getting stretched at all. Even Stafford's prime time for heroics in the 2 minute drill has been neutered—when the Lions have gotten the ball with less than 2:30 to go in a half this season, they've only scored twice, both were field goals, and the last one was in Week 2. They actually got the ball twice in the last game against the Bears with less than 2:30 on the clock and punted both times.

In short, the offense would probably be better if Jones and Johnson were healthy and we still had Tate, but I seriously doubt the Lions would be doing much better than they are.

JGdmn
Jun 12, 2005

Like I give a fuck.

Niwrad posted:

I don't follow the Rams much but the Bears absolutely obliterated their lines on both sides of the ball. I can't remember seeing that kind of domination from a Bears team up front.

Ogunleye/Harris/Johnson/Brown and a rotating Anderson was solid. But just Hicks, Mack and whoever the gently caress seem to do pretty great things. When Floyd and Goldman show up it's fantastic. Most Bears defenses I've seen play are thanks to good linebacker and secondary play. This may be the most complete Bears defense I've ever seen. I just looked up some stats and Roquan Smith almost has 100 tackles.

Having said that, we are a week removed from Eli Manning carving them up, and a week away from Rodgers doing the same.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I bet on the Vikings so they're going to lose now. Sorry MN fans.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

JGdmn posted:

Ogunleye/Harris/Johnson/Brown and a rotating Anderson was solid. But just Hicks, Mack and whoever the gently caress seem to do pretty great things. When Floyd and Goldman show up it's fantastic. Most Bears defenses I've seen play are thanks to good linebacker and secondary play. This may be the most complete Bears defense I've ever seen. I just looked up some stats and Roquan Smith almost has 100 tackles.

Having said that, we are a week removed from Eli Manning carving them up, and a week away from Rodgers doing the same.

I can't tell if I'm just being a homer, but I honestly can't think of a single weakness on the defense. And honestly, the only "average" part of the defense is maybe one DE spot and Adrian Amos.

It really is something. This might end up being a historically good defense.

Hako
Jul 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Sataere posted:

I can't tell if I'm just being a homer, but I honestly can't think of a single weakness on the defense. And honestly, the only "average" part of the defense is maybe one DE spot and Adrian Amos.

It really is something. This might end up being a historically good defense.

Has there been a single game this year where Amukamara doesn't need to come off the field due to injury?

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Hako posted:

Has there been a single game this year where Amukamara doesn't need to come off the field due to injury?

Lol, only about one in three.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Goldman is a goddamn beast and he allows Hicks to shine.

He's also why they can stop the run with like 6 in the box sometimes

Norse Code
Mar 10, 2007

DON'T AWOO - $350 PENALTY

This fuckin' game.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Man at least the Vikings didn't 100% guarentee his contract or something ridiculous like that....

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

The issue isn't cousins. It's the shredded cheese of an offensive line. The play calling is probably terrible but there's no way to know. The line was terrible and was neglected further.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Dexo posted:

Man at least the Vikings didn't 100% guarentee his contract or something ridiculous like that....
Cousins is fine. He had like an average of 1.6 seconds to get a pass off tonight.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Looks like another “Well we can always rebuild for next year”

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Excelsiortothemax posted:

My lament since I started watching this wretched team in my youth

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006

sponges posted:

My lament since I started watching this wretched team in my youth

Started when I was 8 and it’s been 23 long god drat years. I feel your pain.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

Hopefully in the offseason the Vikings will make finding an O-line coach a priority and draft a linemen rather than another new corner in the first round.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Excelsiortothemax posted:

I honestly am not sure which team this applies to lol

Context suggests the Vikings

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Darth Brooks posted:

Hopefully in the offseason the Vikings will make finding an O-line coach a priority and draft a linemen rather than another new corner in the first round.

More likely outcome, they glue Hughes and Alexander together and stick the resulting monstrosity out at guard

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

Isn't most of the vikings o-line problem injuries? didn't they lost like half the starting line in training camp?

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

The O-line coach died, a starting guard retired and they wasted a opportunity to get a high quality guard in the first round. They did draft a center last year and a tackle this year but the rest of the line is retreads and bailing wire. Tony Sparano dying left a big hole and it shows. His responsibility got shared between two other position coaches and that's worked as well as you could expect.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again
Cousins is good at many things related to the quarterback position. He is not good at running a run pass option offense. The offensive coordinator will be the one who this lands on since he's not guaranteed a ton of money, and honestly it's his fault for not tailoring his offense to the talent he was given. Second time that's happened now under Zimmer, though. I wouldn't be surprised if the special teams coach is fired tomorrow though, he wasn't even a Zimmer hire and has been mediocre to bad, including allegations of spouting slurs for awhile now.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Am I misremembering or is it a thing that o-line quality is getting worse across the NFL?

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

MikeCrotch posted:

Am I misremembering or is it a thing that o-line quality is getting worse across the NFL?

It seems to be the consensus. Two main reasons: gimmicky college offenses generating players who never learned proper blocking techniques. And short training camps (in pads) leaving less time for an oline to gel.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

https://twitter.com/no_cut_card/status/1072502373552177152

I love Cohen so much.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
https://twitter.com/davebirkett/status/1072306146499854343

oh nooooo

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1072535288679931909

:rip:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Thank god

pocket pool
Aug 4, 2003

B U T T S

Bleak Gremlin
Zim must have blown a gasket.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

There's a joke about Zimmer flipping out that I can't put together.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Feels like the Lions lose two key guys every time they get a win. :gonk:

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

VJeff posted:

Feels like the Lions lose two key guys every time they get a win. :gonk:

more blood for the blood god

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
I can only hope that him being fired let’s us get a better game going on the offence. Anything should be better than what we had.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Sataere posted:

Lol, only about one in three.

Regardless, it's pretty huge that he is starting to show significant value. That guy has basically been a horrible draft bust up until this season, but now that he's got competent players around him and maybe has developed a bit he's playing well.

MikeCrotch posted:

I don't know, some teams seem to be doing just fine. Like, all the best teams in the league and the ones on the rise: Chiefs, Patriots, Saints, Rams, Steelers, Seahawks, Cowboys, Bears, Colts. And teams like the Ravens that are running a record amount. The Texans are the only successful teams that has a below-average offensive line.

It's disappointing in regards to Minnesota because this team could be good and fun to watch but instead it's unwatchable garbage because that line is just tissue paper. It's so disheartening to have to play with that kind of limitation.

In regards to John Defilippo, he called some bad plays yesterday, some really dumb calls but I also kind of sympathize because the limitations of the offense aren't his doing. Oh well, might as well try with someone else. Protip: focus on the offensive line. Cook would be tearing it up if he could just get a little loving blocking

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Zim has a quick trigger

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Play posted:

Regardless, it's pretty huge that he is starting to show significant value. That guy has basically been a horrible draft bust up until this season, but now that he's got competent players around him and maybe has developed a bit he's playing well.

I think horrible draft bust is overstating it. His problem was never his ability to play. It was his ability to stay on the field. He was always a good player.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Sataere posted:

I think horrible draft bust is overstating it. His problem was never his ability to play. It was his ability to stay on the field. He was always a good player.

Yes a guy who can't stay on the field is a horrible draft bust. And he had some okay years with the Giants but he has never looked as good as he does now in this system and with these players.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

SKULL.GIF posted:

Zim has a quick trigger

as a Defensive coach you absolutely have to have a quick trigger on your OC if your Offense sucks.

You have to look like you are addressing the offense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN

Dexo posted:

as a Defensive coach you absolutely have to have a quick trigger on your OC if your Offense sucks.

You have to look like you are addressing the offense.

Counterpoint: Bowles, Todd