Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Wamsutta posted:

Still having a powerful chortle at how everyone had to get up and leave because someone took the magic wand or something lmao

Thats more of an orchestrated protest though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Taintrunner posted:

the fire rises

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
hell yeah this won't end badly at all

https://twitter.com/SamCoatesTimes/status/1072549017970720774

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

What's that mean?

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

https://twitter.com/BBCNewsnight/status/1072520557403537408

ffs

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

lmao

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

What's that mean?

so to challenge May for tory leadership and become prime minister the leader of the tory MP's needs to have 48 letters of no confidence in her to announce that there is a leadership election. Supposedly at least 48 MP's have said they've turned in a letter, including a lot who have tweeted it, but the Leader hasn't announced that the limit has been hit. They want to publicly announce who everyone claiming to have turned in a letter is to shame them into admitting they might not have

obviously this is extremely bad in terms of trust between colleagues

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

The court ruling says that a Brexit withdrawal has to be democratically legitimized through a referendum, right? Is there even enough time to do a referendum before the end of March?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

The court ruling says that a Brexit withdrawal has to be democratically legitimized through a referendum, right? Is there even enough time to do a referendum before the end of March?

No it says Theresa May can revoke article 50 herself right now if she wants. She doesn't want to mostly because she hates immigrants but also its bad to be seen doing that when a majority voted to leave

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Jose posted:

Everybody is tired of it and I imagine a fairly significant number of leave voters wouldn't care if article 50 gets rescinded so they never see brexit in the news again

They did a brexitcast special on the one show the other week and someone asked when it was all going to be over because they should just get on with it and seemed really disappointed when they got told this was just the beginning and it wouldn't be "over" for another decade at least, probably two.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Ireland's place is as a coequal member of the EU. A place that the UK does not want to be. :laugh:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Party Boat posted:

They did a brexitcast special on the one show the other week and someone asked when it was all going to be over because they should just get on with it and seemed really disappointed when they got told this was just the beginning and it wouldn't be "over" for another decade at least, probably two.

they should seriously campaign the next referendum on "once brexit happens we need to negotiate a trade deal with the EU and that is going to take multiple years and we also need to build the infrastructure to handle the event we don't get one. If we decide to cancel brexit we'll shut the gently caress up about it forever"

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Jose posted:

so to challenge May for tory leadership and become prime minister the leader of the tory MP's needs to have 48 letters of no confidence in her to announce that there is a leadership election. Supposedly at least 48 MP's have said they've turned in a letter, including a lot who have tweeted it, but the Leader hasn't announced that the limit has been hit. They want to publicly announce who everyone claiming to have turned in a letter is to shame them into admitting they might not have

obviously this is extremely bad in terms of trust between colleagues

Ohhhhh OK. Thanks

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

George Eaton saying that the Bane speech outside Blackgate Prison (the wealthy shall be dragged from their comfortable nests etc) was a great basis for a political movement was one of the best things to happen this yeae

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

when did he do that

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Jose posted:

No it says Theresa May can revoke article 50 herself right now if she wants. She doesn't want to mostly because she hates immigrants but also its bad to be seen doing that when a majority voted to leave

But the decision says

Words posted:

The revocation must be decided following a democratic process in accordance with the national constitutional requirements.

also, lmao, the decision says that the EU needs the withdrawal in writing. this ain't their first rodeo

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

Wtf. Why say that?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

lmfao

don't the tories only have a majority because of a coalition with DUP???

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Astrochicken posted:

Wtf. Why say that?

Complete boneheaded arrogance.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

But the decision says

also, lmao, the decision says that the EU needs the withdrawal in writing. this ain't their first rodeo

We don't have a constitution and the referendum was advisory not legally binding

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Moridin920 posted:

lmfao

They are talking about ireland not the stolen bit the dup pretend is british

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

Gum posted:

Britain is a fallen empire that's completely convinced that it will one day rise again

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008

But the decision says

That doesn't require a referendum- a vote in parliament would fulfil those requirements.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

only a few people believe this. unfortunately they infest the tory party

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Moridin920 posted:

lmfao

Do not confuse the dirty Irish with the noble ulster scots people.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
for my money i think the ERG are right - there must have been 48 letters in at some loving point. the process is totally transparent - the leader of our country is being decided by one rear end in a top hat's pinky swear.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Astrochicken posted:

Wtf. Why say that?

I don't think you quite understand. These semi-literate Taigs are supposed to doff their caps at the first sight of their betters, as it is natural order!

is what the Tories think.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Astrochicken posted:

Wtf. Why say that?

*unrolls 4 mile long scroll detailing all the grudges england and ireland have with one another*

Well it all starts in the year 900-

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

CoolCab posted:

for my money i think the ERG are right - there must have been 48 letters in at some loving point. the process is totally transparent - the leader of our country is being decided by one rear end in a top hat's pinky swear.

no its not lol. they're not saying they'll release the names of everyone who tweeted a letter. they're saying that everyone who said privately had sent a letter will get named. Those who tweeted them also might not have actually sent the letter

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

CoolCab posted:

I think the idea that JRM and Steve Baker can't count to 48 is the most likely explanation

Pooky
Aug 29, 2004

I post fox news so u don't have to 💋

Spangly A posted:

he gave it back politely because the woman had a sword that she's entitled to cut him with

What a missed opportunity.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Jose posted:

no its not lol. they're not saying they'll release the names of everyone who tweeted a letter. they're saying that everyone who said privately had sent a letter will get named. Those who tweeted them also might not have actually sent the letter

what? no i mean the dude who holds the letters. i totally think he has been sitting on more than the trigger at least at some point over the last two years, i think may flipped him

e: oh loving lmao i meant "opaque", the literal exact opposite of the thing i posted. i'm very smart.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

I'd be surprised if the actual quote didn't contain both "uppity" and "bog dwellers".

I like how it goes on to express disappointment for how the EU is siding with a progressive fully-committed member country, instead of bending over backwards to accommodate a bunch of xenophobic twits who want to burn it to the ground.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Lobster God posted:

That doesn't require a referendum- a vote in parliament would fulfil those requirements.

But there is no majority for Brexit withdrawal in parliament, right? So it's de-facto impossible until new elections? Is there enough time for new elections?

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I’m very excited for Troubles 2.0

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
https://twitter.com/haveigotnews/status/1072453315294887937

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Jesus christ talk about an on the nose metaphor.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Grape posted:

Jesus christ talk about an on the nose metaphor.

https://twitter.com/Ponty100mph/status/1072464396000092165

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

ahahaha loving wow

Moridin920 posted:

lmfao

lol my man, the DUP hates Ireland more than any Tory could ever dream.

Grape has issued a correction as of 21:44 on Dec 11, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/1072591327676768256?s=20

lol this is 100% the funniest thing that could have happened short of the vote that was meant to take place today happening