Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

They're done either way. They won't stop fighting so as a political party in NSW they are hosed. If the left purge Cate, Justin along with Buckingham they are almost certainly more hosed.

The NSW electorate won't reward them for becoming ideologically purer.

Jonah Galtberg posted:

At this point the strength of the evidence seems somewhat irrelevant in his case - even assuming his innocence it’s simply causing too much damage to the party’s reputation to keep him around and the fact that his supporters would rather have this whole damaging fight over a guy that’s already cost them significant membership bleed and reputational damage shows just how much harm insularity causes. They’d rather rule over a destroyed party than do the mature thing, which is to let him go and have a look at the clearly-insufficient party procedures for handling this kind of thing

I agree that Buckingham overall is toxic. But that's as much a result of the fact that the fight was escalated in public by Jenny. I would suggest the left faction would also rather rule a destroyed party.

I think it's more toxic personalities than any worthwhile ideological difference. Most of the ideology is vanity that should have been left in student politics.

Turks posted:

"Due process" is the legal requirement that the state must respect all legal rights that are owed to a person. The party room is not a court, representing the party is a privilege and can be revoked for little to no reason. All they need is to not like him (which I get the impression they don't) and that's good enough to not let him run in the next election.

Sure, that should have been thought through before Jenny went public with this in NSW parliament.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Pell news is fantastic. Awaiting BBC etc to start writing about it.

In other news, liberals continue imploding after the election defeat
https://twitter.com/rwillingham/status/1072719362941870081

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

clusterfuck posted:

As far as I can tell, Cate Faehrmann has been making the point that there's not enough evidence on Buckingham to boot him. That's not endorsing everything about Buckingham, that's just arguing for due process.

Buckingham is the Greens, country style. He's been effective while the worst tendency of the Greens IMO is failing to connect outside of their base. It shits me no end that Buckingham has been someone making headway in the country with Lock the Gate and yet he's been so much trouble especially wrt this sex pest claim. From what I've seen of the evidence I don't find it compelling. e: I'd take Buckingham in a heartbeat over that West Melbourne rapper wanker or that other Victorian rapist.

I've been on board with the Greens while they've been a party that can encompass people ranging from Cate to Lee Rhiannon to Di Natale to Bandt to Jenny Leung to Buckingham. When they split and become one or the other they're done in my view. Personally, if Cate's side prevails I'd be more inclined to support them than if Lee's side prevailed - but it's a long walk back either way and I'd have to consider if it's worth it.

I guess we need an updated version of the voting dingo regarding how to preference rapists

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

drunkill posted:

Pell news is fantastic. Awaiting BBC etc to start writing about it.

You might have to wait a while, the main organisations seem to be respecting suppression (the verdict wasn't today)

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

bandaid.friend posted:

Snake people?

I blame Get This. They made so many Toto jokes for 2 years and no one's ever forgotten it.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

no, africa is just a fuckin jam

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

bandaid.friend posted:

Snake people?

You probably have this extension installed

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/millennials-to-snake-peop/jhkibealmjkbkafogihpeidfcgnigmlf

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
I, a snake person, only know Africa and Rosanna and very much like both of them

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

bandaid.friend posted:

Snake people?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mk5Dwg5zm2U

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

Oh righto. I don't have this, but it looks like someone at the ABC does

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

bell jar posted:

no, africa is just a fuckin jam

Africa is an amazing karaoke song, and it's going to take a lot to drag it away from that.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

I use this one, it changes snake people to adults under 40:
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/change-millennials-to-adu/nmlkageghlbfhmigekkblaniaiohncpi

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
UK spill is on lads.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Makes you think

https://twitter.com/tron_applebaum/status/1072760997859848192

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Anidav posted:

UK spill is on lads.

oi oi oi!

Chicken Parmigiana
Sep 12, 2007

Kafka Syrup posted:

Great news! On board with everything. Any chance the comic could be made to A-size proportions? I'd like to print poster versions.

Also do you have a Patreon or PayPal? I'd love a Senate one as well (and maybe some other electoral ones) but obviously I want to pay for it!

The pages are already ISO standard — usually you'd make an A5 booklet from a single sheet of A4. So it would be easy to arrange them into a big poster... I don't know how well it would read, though. I might give it a try and see if I can make it work.

I'm thinking of setting up a ko-fi before releasing the new version, so yeah, you'll be able to support me if you want to. And my friends are telling me, "Put your name on it this time!"

Mattjpwns posted:

This is the only thing I'd recommend against. The kids get plenty of G rated material around Oz Politics (surprisingly) and earlier than we did. Having it veer a little toward the "oh this isn't what we get in school" element is a potential part of the charm for kids imo!

I've used your comic on so many occasions when I've just not got the energy to spell out to someone how preferential voting works and it's great you're revisiting it! Do you have a patreon or something I can throw some coffee money at? I think I owe you something more tangible than Auspol Goon Suggestions.

Thanks! I think I can keep it funny and maintain the "Whoa-ho, this ain't your granddad's infographic!" vibe while also getting rid of superficial stuff that would make some people dismiss the whole comic reflexively. In fact I already made a 'radio edit' of the original comic back in 2013 (http://chickennation.com/website_stuff/cant-waste-vote/web-700-cant-waste-vote-SINGLE-IMAGE-radio-edit.png). It was pointed out to me that beyond trivial stuff like 'bastard' and 'bum' still being no-no words for some grannies, churchgoers, and teachers worried about losing their jobs, the incest joke could also be upsetting for people who've experienced parental sexual abuse, for example.

If it were one of my own comics, made for entertainment or self-amusement, I wouldn't worry so much, but this voting comic is supposed to be — for want of a better term — a public service of sorts.

Urcher posted:

Might be worth working the phrase "vote is not wasted" into the text of the preferential voting explained page. I can workshop some words later when I'm not phone posting.

If you want to see this shared by people who lean politically right you should consider replacing "smash the state" and "guns for babies" on the platforms so it looks less like left=nice and right=idiots. Maybe change up the bits about treatment of the poor as well. Replacing "poor" with "bunnies" should do the job.

Regarding that latter point, I've thought about it before, but there's only so much I can do to 'solve' the issue. If I write something generically bastard-ish like "Murder the poor" and people identify that with conservative parties, that's not my fault, that's the conservative parties' fault for actually being bastards. I do want the comic to be reasonably neutral but the only way to be perfectly neutral — 'cause people are always gonna 'read into' things — would be to have the parties' policies be "Red is the best colour!" "Blue is the best colour!" etc. and I mean, christ, why not just shoot myself.

That said, I do think your instincts on this are good, so it's something I'm gonna think about. I'll play with some different ideas. I just don't wanna suck the life out of the comic and have no-one share it.

Thanks for your thoughts, everyone!

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I did some work for the Tasmania Election Commission a few years back and they had the Dennis the voting koala comic up on the wall.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Scomo cameo in DQXI really spot on

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Anidav posted:

UK spill is on lads.

What does this mean for Amber Rudds leadership ambitions

Chicken Parmigiana
Sep 12, 2007

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

I did some work for the Tasmania Election Commission a few years back and they had the Dennis the voting koala comic up on the wall.

Nice!

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Apparently the labor party mps call Greg Hunt Yorick when’s he’s speaking in parliament.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

oh ho ho how droll, verily and forsooth these are the jokes of the working man

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Anidav posted:

UK spill is on lads.

lol they tried the same you-don't-have-the-numbers defense as Turnbull but were even less successful.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Latest first dog hits the nail on the head. Jesus.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

:auspol:

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Anidav posted:

UK spill is on lads.

a chav nicked me prime minister, innit!

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Apparently the labor party mps call Greg Hunt Yorick when’s he’s speaking in parliament.
Whether ‘tis nobler in the mind to suffer
the slings and arrows of Murdoch tabloids
or by torturing reffos end them

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
I wonder how many cigarettes the cardinal's virgin butt-hole will be worth in prison? Rape is bad and all but if there's a single human being that deserves to be treated like a piece of meat it's him.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

gay picnic defence posted:

I wonder how many cigarettes the cardinal's virgin butt-hole will be worth in prison? Rape is bad and all but if there's a single human being that deserves to be treated like a piece of meat it's him.

:chloe:

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

It's on?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Deleted. Screenshots a must in this fast-paced twitter world.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Yeah nah

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
:krakken: RELEASE THE KRAKKEN :krakken:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

It will be quite enough that Pell hopefully spends the rest of his pathetic disgusting life rotting in a cell alone

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Jonah Galtberg posted:

oh ho ho how droll, verily and forsooth these are the jokes of the working man

Shakespeare is pleb theatre.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

JBP posted:

Shakespeare is pleb theatre.

Yeah haven't you read The Sentimental Bloke jeez.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
I heard Buckingham on the radio trying to defend his position and it was a train wreck. As a politician he failed to be a good one, and the Greens need good ones. He was pretty much at the Embattled stage.

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

https://twitter.com/anthdeceglie/status/1072785212210180096?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

It’s a shame Bolt has an excuse to remain silent after doggedly defending Pell against a “witch hunt” for years.