Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Infinite overdrive is a ton of fun would recommend really chasing it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Since everyone was running Sakura Dance, my endgame meme build involved piloting the worst skell in the game and suiciding it into an enemy which would activate Alexa's 6x damage multiplier on all attacks and then clowning the enemy on foot.

God Xenoblade X rules

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
oh hey atelier got released finally

https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/9121/Atelier_Arland_series_Deluxe_Pack____DX/

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Rascyc posted:

Infinite overdrive is a ton of fun would recommend really chasing it

It is, though I wish I could turn off Wir Fliegen, just for a change of pace

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

Endorph posted:

I mean it's not really about being mech fans or 'I guess what people wanted,' its that they were all over the marketing material and 'cool mech combat' was the big selling point it felt like

if they'd focused more on the ground combat in promotional material and made it clearer the skrells were just a side thing it probably would have been better received

I mean, I was including the devs and marketing in "what people wanted" cause I assume that was what they originally wanted to focus on before they realized they had too much ambition and not enough time, I was just saying it didn't bother me personally because I don't care that much about cool mechs

also yeah infinite overdrive heckin' owns

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The fact tat you can only have two people besides Rorona in my party is causing me to presumably miss out on a bunch of content as I hang out with my good friends Sterk and Esty instead of spreading the love

Do either of the other Arland games solve the problem? I know it was still there by Ayesha though so I suspect not

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

cheetah7071 posted:

The fact tat you can only have two people besides Rorona in my party is causing me to presumably miss out on a bunch of content as I hang out with my good friends Sterk and Esty instead of spreading the love

Do either of the other Arland games solve the problem? I know it was still there by Ayesha though so I suspect not

Friendship in Rorona has a cap based on how much you can raise it through combat, you still need to do requests. Doing requests for people boosts friendship and you can advance their stories to some degree in that fashion. But no, there's no getting around the fact you need to actually take people with you to see what they say and get stuff to happen with them. There's nothing for it but to manage time carefully or play the game again.

The TRUE BEST ENDING requires doing everyone's story in the same playthrough and actually doing that successfully is pretty insane.

Important fact: Rorona Plus/DX has an added overtime mode for once you complete the story, but it doesn't happen automatically. You need to load a clear game save and then it'll ask if you want to start the postgame storyline

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I'm pretty okay with missing the best ending in the games with time limits tbh. I'll probably just pick the Esty ending.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

corn in the bible posted:

Friendship in Rorona has a cap based on how much you can raise it through combat, you still need to do requests. Doing requests for people boosts friendship and you can advance their stories to some degree in that fashion. But no, there's no getting around the fact you need to actually take people with you to see what they say and get stuff to happen with them. There's nothing for it but to manage time carefully or play the game again.

The TRUE BEST ENDING requires doing everyone's story in the same playthrough and actually doing that successfully is pretty insane.

The actual timing on it isn't too restrictive compared to, say, a full max S-Link run of a Persona game; the hard part is just knowing where to go and what to do to unlock all the character events, if you're not using a guide.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Thuryl posted:

The actual timing on it isn't too restrictive compared to, say, a full max S-Link run of a Persona game; the hard part is just knowing where to go and what to do to unlock all the character events, if you're not using a guide.
Yeah, but in a Persona game you have NG+ with max social stats to make scheduling a max link run much easier.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Commander Keene posted:

Yeah, but in a Persona game you have NG+ with max social stats to make scheduling a max link run much easier.

You can new game plus in atelier and tear through all the combat with zero effort if you want i guess

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I forgot why I didn't originally like Rorona that much even with the Plus edition fixes, but the progression feels very weird. You unlock two dungeons in the first term, then are stuck with a total of three for the next three full terms. I ended the third term with like seven recipes I can't even craft because I don't have access to more zones, and now have to play out the fourth with nothing new. What the gently caress Ninentdo?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

You can new game plus in atelier and tear through all the combat with zero effort if you want i guess

I did that in Totori and it turned up the only stuff you kept was money and whatever you were equipped with :(

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

I did that in Totori and it turned up the only stuff you kept was money and whatever you were equipped with :(

That'll still include poo poo like gathering gloves and faster travel items and such, iirc - it helps a lot.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Still, the main benefit of a NG+ in a Persona game is that a lot of in-game time has been freed up because you don't need to grind up social stats, giving you a significant amount more time to spend with the Social Links. Tearing through all the combat with zero effort is an incidental benefit. Being able to run through a dungeon in a day without needing to worry about your SP does help, but that's possible on a vanilla new game run as well.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

speaking of which, I'm finally playing persona 4 for the first time and the VN/life sim half of the game is engaging but man the dungeons suck a lot worse than i would have expected from such a Heralded Game

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Modern Persona games are very much a case where the dungeons are something you tolerate rather than anything else.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Just knock out as many floors as you can until your SP runs out, then pop a Goho-M and come back another day. You can pick up right from the floor you left off on.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

yeah i know how to do it, I'm on the 5th one already, it's just disappointing that a game that otherwise nails its presentation has such long featureless dungeons and seems to be tuned such that you have to full clear them to get enough exp to keep up.

also playing octopath traveler shortly before this has taken a lot of the shine off the combat since that game has a better implementation of the 'prod for weaknesses' system

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
neither persona 3 or 4 have good dungeons but the dungeons in persona 3 are significantly better integrated with the rest of the game

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Everything in P3 just blended together to me, I at least appreciated the window dressing in P4 giving the dungeons different visuals and music.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

i kind of like the roguelite aesthetic that centralizing everything in the single dungeon provides that got lost in P4

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Speaking of annoying things in SMT games: it’s annoying how many demons in Nocturne I can’t talk to. There’s no balance. Some dungeons I can talk to almost everything and some are full of types that won’t negotiate.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Getsuya posted:

Speaking of annoying things in SMT games: it’s annoying how many demons in Nocturne I can’t talk to. There’s no balance. Some dungeons I can talk to almost everything and some are full of types that won’t negotiate.

You can pick up Jive Talk to get a bunch of them, but that takes up a valuable Demi-Fiend Limited Edition Skill Slot. The pro play is gathering a bunch of trash from places like Ginza that have a diverse encounter table and fusing it all together.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
I played Persona 4 so much that the dungeon algorithm is burned into my soul, I can go from start to finish with no detours 75% of the time, to the point where I could tell that Mementos had the same thing. Persona 3's is notably different though.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm thinking about getting Tales of Berseria but thread impression largely being 'just use Velvet's 'crush claw(?)' for easy mode/ I don't know what happens in a battle and sometimes I die and I don't know why is kinda keeping me off of it.

Were those just exaggerations? I've only beaten Symphonia and Vesperia so I have no experience with good Tales combat at all.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The combat is not the highlight of the game for sure

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

RareAcumen posted:

I'm thinking about getting Tales of Berseria but thread impression largely being 'just use Velvet's 'crush claw(?)' for easy mode/ I don't know what happens in a battle and sometimes I die and I don't know why is kinda keeping me off of it.

Were those just exaggerations? I've only beaten Symphonia and Vesperia so I have no experience with good Tales combat at all.

the game isn't very good at explaining some of the mechanics, but i had fun with the combat. there's not a lot of depth to it and pretty much any character can completely simplify any fight but every character also plays really differently and the combat incentivizes switching between them a bunch which is good, its big problem is just that until you get a full party there's no easy way to restore sg if you lose it and you need sg to attack with longer combos

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Try playing as people other than velvet too, they all have a gimmick

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

yeah you can mash through fights with velvet on normal but the game has like 5 or 6 difficulty levels that you can change between on the fly and you can always play other characters. it's not the best combat system but its good enough to get carried by the excellent cast and story.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
sticking with velvet is prob the biggest mistake you can make with the combat because at its core design it kind of expects you to at least bounce between two or three different characters. i stuck with velvet for a lot of the beginning but personally once i got a bigger party i bounced around between eleanor, rokurou and eizen a lot more and i had a lot of fun with that

the heights of tales combat are still graces f and destiny dc but berseria has one of the more unique systems in the series for how it flows and it's pretty decent. just don't try fighting the endgame bonus superbosses on anything higher than simple because some of their gimmicks really suck and the way simple makes them easier is by just, turning those gimmicks off lol

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Dec 12, 2018

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I think the mashy comments come more from Berseria being one of the easier Tales games. I usually play on the highest difficulty and I never really hit a snag in Berseria like I have in the other games.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the reason consume clawing with velvet is so easy is mainly because it gives you temporary invincibility on top of doing tons of damage, but the game's general level of difficulty, really doesn't even make that necessary. you'll only need to fall back on it maybe once or twice in some of the later boss fights, and that's if your party gets really badly hosed up

your only fear in berseria is scorpion cave. thankfully you can run through scorpion cave ignoring most of the scorpions in like five minutes

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Dec 12, 2018

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I never really hit too serious roadblocks when it came to Symphonia or Vesperia either so I wasn't really sure of what to expect at all. I'd play basically everyone in Symphoia besides Raine or Genus since playing as mages wasn't that great yet and ditto for Vesperia but Rita was probably the least played out of everyone since there's not a whole lot of comboing I could do with her at my skill level. :v:

So, this is a bit more encouraging. Maybe I will pick it up after all. Though it's still a shame that they're so bad at setting demo areas. And that Graces didn't get a PS4 edition too. I'd love to try the game that people actually had positive things to say about the combat since Abyss.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The only real incentive to change characters is Magilou whenever casters are in battle, because her kit is specifically to counter that poo poo that was basically the worst in Zestiria.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

RareAcumen posted:

I never really hit too serious roadblocks when it came to Symphonia or Vesperia either so I wasn't really sure of what to expect at all. I'd play basically everyone in Symphoia besides Raine or Genus since playing as mages wasn't that great yet and ditto for Vesperia but Rita was probably the least played out of everyone since there's not a whole lot of comboing I could do with her at my skill level. :v:

So, this is a bit more encouraging. Maybe I will pick it up after all. Though it's still a shame that they're so bad at setting demo areas. And that Graces didn't get a PS4 edition too. I'd love to try the game that people actually had positive things to say about the combat since Abyss.

graces f has decent odds at getting a rerelease in the next couple years. the original wii version's anniversary is next year and f's anniversary is the year after that, and bandai namco's pretty big on rereleasing games right now so vesperia likely isn't just an isolated case

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
My PS3 died a while ago and Graces is probably the single game I miss most on it.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Vesperia is better than Graces F by a mile but I agree that Destiny DC owns bones, Narikiri Dungeon X also has really good combat.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Romancing SaGa 2 would be a lot more fun if I didn't have to cheese the RNG so I stopped getting party wiped by an enemy encounter. Or pray that I'll learn a skill in less than 100 fights. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
No Tales with that baffling "your character can only move and attack in 2D but enemies can sidestep whenever they want" baseline is better than any one that isn't*, which is why Tales should just move back to original 2D and make Destiny again, as outlined in my TED Talk