Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

isndl posted:

I'm drowning in husky puppies, help. :shepface:

Husky conveyor belt. Never need a hauler pawn again.

edit: had to go digging through the thread to find my implementation of this. Most of them are in the kennel, but if you look inside the tunnels, you can see them.

Warmachine fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Dec 8, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Is there a mod that gets rid of backer pawns?

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

I did it, I found the worst mod (it's worksafe). :stonk:

Warmachine posted:

I eventually gave up on animal and pawn hauling and just installed that cleaner and hauler robot mod. They do a good enough job and consume power as well as can be murdered, so I feel they're pretty fair overall.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Anticheese posted:

Is there a mod that gets rid of backer pawns?

ye

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Warmachine posted:

edit: had to go digging through the thread to find my implementation of this. Most of them are in the kennel, but if you look inside the tunnels, you can see them.

They need so much food though! And they keep popping out more! :ohdear:

Also cremating is a hauling task so I had a whole pile of corpses making bad moods until I realized what was up and reenabled hauling on pawns.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

isndl posted:

They need so much food though! And they keep popping out more! :ohdear:

Also cremating is a hauling task so I had a whole pile of corpses making bad moods until I realized what was up and reenabled hauling on pawns.

I think (assuming you're not a cannibal clan) that you can just create a small freezer where you keep dumping every dead raider you get in there and letting your pups have access to it can deal with the food problem. This also bypasses the whole butchering debuff problem, which you would get if you made them into kibble instead.

of course, you might need more than that if you go through a dry spell on raids.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

Build a stone room with a stone door. make it not a home area. haul bodies/contaiminated clothing in. throw molotov. the room will get to 3k degrees and burn it all to ash. no hauling job needed. This room can heat a large area if you connect it to a central heating plan. I had a huge under ground base get the halls to a nice 130 mid winter for a few days.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

isndl posted:

I'm drowning in husky puppies, help. :shepface:
Caravan them and sell them.

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal
I just started an ice sheet run. Things were going OK, got a sun lamp room up with potatoes but I wasn't fast enough and they didn't grow in time. Colonists started dropping due to hunger, all three were at extreme malnutrition in bed when a mysterious man in black show up and joins.

Two minutes later all my original colonists die. New guy has <1 mining and crafting, but he can shoot and already downed a raider...hoping he can convince her to join or I don't think we'll survive.

e: they didn't make it. :(

e2: tried another ice sheet and another man in black showed up so I guess he's like some sort of AI lifeline? Looks like next time the plan is to rush research geothermal with a couple research benches, I'm just not having enough time to grow stuff before I run out of food.

Wifi Toilet fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Dec 8, 2018

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Ice sheet and sea ice are fairly brutal if you are adamantly against cannibalism for the most part. It's a little easier in terms of food if you only use a single pawn.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Wouldn’t rice be better than potatoes?

Little Abigail
Jul 21, 2011

College Slice
Yeah, they're the fastest growing crops and are perfect if you need some food in a real hurry.

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

Jay Rust posted:

Wouldn’t rice be better than potatoes?

Dunno, I haven't done the math to see if rice with the lovely soil penalty is still faster than potatoes which are supposed to tolerate lovely soil better.

e: anyway, finally got a viable colony going. Two of my original colonists died of starvation, the man in black came in and saved Lynn, they fell in love, got married and survived the winter. Added several more stragglers over the next year and honestly at this point it's getting pretty boring with nothing to hunt and hardly and traders coming through. Also power is starting to limit my expansion and I like building bases too much to keep playing this one.

Wifi Toilet fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Dec 10, 2018

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Wifi Toilet posted:

Dunno, I haven't done the math to see if rice with the lovely soil penalty is still faster than potatoes which are supposed to tolerate lovely soil better.

The wiki already did that.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Why not caravan to another place and set up there, Mr toilet

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

What's relatively new is that a bit below freezing no longer automatically kills every type of crop, potatoes tolerate cold better than rice does. Healroot can also survive a very cold winter pretty easily fyi.

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

McGiggins posted:

Why not caravan to another place and set up there, Mr toilet

Hey, I didn't even think of that. That might be cool to try.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
How does the resettlement thing work? I have a really stable colony right now, but I'm gonna run out of resources eventually and I'm kinda thinking about loading up a shitload of pods with people and supplies and jetting over somewhere else and starting over (basically just with full research and some essentials).

Can you leave colonists behind?

Phoenix Taichou
Jun 23, 2010

"Movie reference."

robotsinmyhead posted:

How does the resettlement thing work? I have a really stable colony right now, but I'm gonna run out of resources eventually and I'm kinda thinking about loading up a shitload of pods with people and supplies and jetting over somewhere else and starting over (basically just with full research and some essentials).

Can you leave colonists behind?

there are settings in the options to change the maximum amount of settlements you can control at the same time, so you can run up to 5 at once.

The way I do it is to just keep the setting at 2 so I can send some good builders to pootle off ahead of time to the new site and get the basic structure up, then start ferrying stuff over. You'll want to deconstruct stuff to get the components and that back if you can't just uninstall it.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice
Kibble/meat eaters are a pain in quantity. I just slaughter them usually but I do have a cobra I'm fond of so I let roam and eat what she wants.

Also I like to butcher raider's corpses, make valuable cowboy hats and jackets out of the human leather, then if it so happens the tribe that invaded me is not a warring tribe I'll offer the hats as gifts to them to get back on speaking terms, then sell them the hats and jackets, made from their own dudes. Rimworld is not a nice place.

isndl
May 2, 2012
For cranking up the weight allowance on your caravans, do you guys use Muffalos or something else?

jerman999
Apr 26, 2006

This is a lex imperfecta
Alpacas work too. I mostly use muffalo.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

isndl posted:

For cranking up the weight allowance on your caravans, do you guys use Muffalos or something else?

Muffalos are the most most common/efficient, but any decent sized herbivore will fit the bill. Elephants, rhinos, megasloths, and alpacas are all good pack animals.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Kanos posted:

Muffalos are the most most common/efficient, but any decent sized herbivore will fit the bill. Elephants, rhinos, megasloths, and alpacas are all good pack animals.

Elephants are great because they also make awesome war animals. This is made even better by the Giddy Up mod. You too can recreate ancient Carthage.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

I really adore the Giddy Up mod. Combine that with Megafauna and Dinosauria and I really enjoy having a pack of mufflos supporting a triceratops and a stegosaurus caravan, with colonists riding utah raptors going 2x speed on the map because everyone's riding. Animal Armor mod can make War Bears a definite thing with the bear armor.

That visitors and trade caravans bring along mounts too and you can have a little stable for them while they visit is very :3:

And then you get raided by mounted tribals.

I think Nature's Pretty Sweet added Giant Snails, and one wandering tribal was riding a snail (something like 0.5 c/s movement speed). His buddies passed out from exhaustion waiting for him at the map edge and he eventually collapsed from malnutrition before exiting the map.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
There definitely needs to be a lower boundary on what is generated as ridable for pawns, where anything less than walking speed either isn't selected as a mount or it gets rerolled for another one.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

I had a rat self-tame that I was going to slaughter, but then I managed to recruit a little ratkin (Korean mod) murder lady into my colony and decided she should have a pet rat. Make some sort of weird Goofy - Pluto situation.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

playing rimworld as a space western Vermintide colony is the only excuse for the war crime playthroughs y'all do

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Cup Runneth Over posted:

playing rimworld as a space western Vermintide colony is the only excuse for the war crime playthroughs y'all do

I think they're cute anime rats not gross hoard rats. They get all new clothes and one of them is a Guardener suit or some-such for guarding the gardens :3:

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
I don't perform warcrimes. I kill all the people with red names who are trying to kill me. The red names hurt my colonists. The red names have bits that can fix my colonists.

This is simply them paying for the harm they have caused. Restitution. Quite literally making my colonists whole under the frontier law. Sometimes I even let them go with enough parts to theoretically survive.

surfacelevelspeck
Oct 1, 2008

communism's sleepiest soldier

McGiggins posted:

I don't perform warcrimes. I kill all the people with red names who are trying to kill me. The red names hurt my colonists. The red names have bits that can fix my colonists.

This is simply them paying for the harm they have caused. Restitution. Quite literally making my colonists whole under the frontier law. Sometimes I even let them go with enough parts to theoretically survive.

the weak are meat, and the strong do eat

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

I've got a colony of about 13 people that includes an elf, a half-elf, a hobbit, an argonian, a camel man and a bear man, two vampires, a werewolf, and an android. Many of them are wizards, a couple are jedi. We had a dwarf ranger who died, but not before bonding with a T-rex who is still hanging around the colony, mostly being used to ride around on. I also have a giant slug mechanoid that produces edible slime, a sheep with metal wool, and a platypus. I haven't started a cult yet but I probably will soon.

This game is ridiculous and I love it.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

McGiggins posted:

Same, I commit warcrimes constantly.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I'll have you know that any and all hats my "alternative meat eater" colony produces comes only from those who are dead and once hostile thankyouverymuch.

It isn't a war crime....it's recycling :downs:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Waste not, want not :shrug:

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I've definitely had my pawns execute downed colonists that they know are alive and no longer a threat. We're all criminals here.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Warmachine posted:

I've definitely had my pawns execute downed colonists that they know are alive and no longer a threat. We're all criminals here.

I never got a declaration of war from any of the raiders. So it's not a war, I'm just invoking Stand Your Ground.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Case in point. Just play the disgusting, brutal, immoral vermin you're all already acting like anyway.

isndl
May 2, 2012
Unethical medical practices on prisoners may be a war crime, but it's valuable medical training data and you might get a pass for it anyways!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

I'm a good person! Usually!

Mechanoids deserve to be disassembled.