Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I remember when the US first started with the whole 'torture is cool and good' after 9/11 and people brought up a book written by a US officer back in WWII on interrogating nazi prisoners of war.

The entire book was about treating them well and making a human connection with them - even the complete monsters like the gestapo- and how the success rate was insanely high for getting good information out of them.

We've known what works for the better part of a century, we just don't do it because the people in power are insatiable sadists.

Yeah the irony is that torture gets basically jack poo poo, yet the previous best practices wrt mid and long term interrogation are so effective that it's always been considered essentially an inevitability that someone will talk. Like even for people calling the shots for people in a position to be captured are aware that if caught they will talk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Arguably Dirty Harry and absolutely 24 did irreparable damage to the American psyche.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
Just wait for the euolgies for GWB.

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

colonel tigh more like colonel high
on the other hand, Trump's funeral is going to be the one that breaks the 'speak decorously of the dead' custom

insert_funny
Jan 5, 2013

I can never have plastic surgery, because I don't feel like chipping in another five bucks to change the picture.
https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1072282981195227136

Apparently Butina's American boyfriend/co-conspirator was expecting to get gainful employment out of this.

[your signature is being processed. check the notification bar for updates]

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

Mauser posted:

Sorry, can someone link me to the NRA going down? That was mentioned a couple times, but I haven't read anything about it.

It's been overstated. They're downsizing/reorganizing, but the stories about them going broke appear to be just a way to get more donations.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Yeah the irony is that torture gets basically jack poo poo, yet the previous best practices wrt mid and long term interrogation are so effective that it's always been considered essentially an inevitability that someone will talk. Like even for people calling the shots for people in a position to be captured are aware that if caught they will talk.

I have a friend who was an navy Intel officer in the Iraq war and he says basically the same thing. He told me he got a lot more reliable information with candy bars instead of a cudgel.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

friendbot2000 posted:

I have a friend who was an navy Intel officer in the Iraq war and he says basically the same thing. He told me he got a lot more reliable information with candy bars instead of a cudgel.

People are ridiculous susceptible positive treatment while under duress like, say, when they're being held in prison with no prospect of release.

Similar to the psychological loop that traps people in in abusive relationships, only leveraged for sake of intelligence gathering. Still pretty odious, though obviously nowhere near as bad as torture.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I remember when the US first started with the whole 'torture is cool and good' after 9/11 and people brought up a book written by a US officer back in WWII on interrogating nazi prisoners of war.

The entire book was about treating them well and making a human connection with them - even the complete monsters like the gestapo- and how the success rate was insanely high for getting good information out of them.

We've known what works for the better part of a century, we just don't do it because the people in power are insatiable sadists.

Oddly enough, it was my brother who convinced me more than anyone else, if I ever needed to be convinced, that torture doesn't work. Context: my brother is a full-on MAGA chud, so he would be in favor of torturing brown people for any pretext whatsoever. But he was also professionally trained by the army as an interrogator and he's reasonably intelligent in any subject that doesn't require him to ideologically adhere to whatever the GOP commands.... except for this subject. (That stupid show 24 was popular, so people always asked him about torture) And he was always saying stuff like "yeah, torture does not work. If you want to be cruel then whatever, but if you want to get information, then you either need to somehow befriend them, or bore them into talking. They will answer questions if you hurt them, but it'll probably be lies and you wont know they lied to you for weeks or maybe even months."

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

The Glumslinger posted:

https://twitter.com/NoahShachtman/status/1072267567975288832

Butina is gonna cooperate

Witness Protection had better be all over that poo poo

a week or so old, but Totally Unrelated

https://twitter.com/Anthony/status/1068477767052926976

totally, probably... unrelated...

https://twitter.com/johnson_carrie/status/1068479049843003397

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Dec 11, 2018

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Skippy McPants posted:

People are ridiculous susceptible positive treatment while under duress like, say, when they're being held in prison with no prospect of release.

Similar to the psychological loop that traps people in in abusive relationships, only leveraged for sake of intelligence gathering. Still pretty odious, though obviously nowhere near as bad as torture.

Eh except the part where abuse victims fear changing the status quo and stay trapped.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Mustached Demon posted:

Eh except the part where abuse victims fear changing the status quo and stay trapped.

Similar, not the same. I specifically mean the bit where people under extreme stress will often respond disproportionately to even the smallest benevolent gesture, even if it's being offered by people who put them in that situation to begin with.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Skippy McPants posted:

Similar, not the same. I specifically mean the bit where people under extreme stress will often respond disproportionately to even the smallest benevolent gesture, even if it's being offered by people who put them in that situation to begin with.

Alright there we go.

I'm only being a jerk because eliminating that fear of the unknown leads to breaking the cycle of abuse. It's so important to helping victims become self sufficient without their abuser in their life.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

No worries, I was vague and agree that the distinction matters.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Do you know the name of the book? I'd love to read it, and maybe get it as a holiday gift for ... certain ... family members.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Arguably Dirty Harry and absolutely 24 did irreparable damage to the American psyche.

24 was a symptom, not the disease.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_P52G4Kyq5M

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Russian banks have also recently been warning other banks to develop alternative payment settlement routes in case they get disconnected from the SWIFT network.

It could be completely unrelated, but they also might be worried that something like Butina or the Brexit Leave investigation exposing the use of those banks to conduct political money laundering.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

insert_funny posted:

https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1072282981195227136

Apparently Butina's American boyfriend/co-conspirator was expecting to get gainful employment out of this.

The article is slightly wrong. The Russian equivalent to the CIA is the SVR. The FSB is their FBI and the GRU is their DIA.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

It's both. Media is both a driver of culture and driven by it.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
24 was cited by Scalia and many politicians as a reason why torture is actually cool and good, so it was definitely part of the disease.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Poor Miserable Gurgi posted:

24 was cited by Scalia and many politicians as a reason why torture is actually cool and good, so it was definitely part of the disease.

That was a rhetorical crutch, and beneath Scalia's talent. He was a perfectly fine sadist without having to be motivated by fiction.

24 was a symptom, just as Nino was, of the sickness that is centuries old now.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
https://twitter.com/lukewsavage/status/1072532301467267072?s=21

mystes
May 31, 2006

Interesting possible development in the Huawei case:

quote:

A former Canadian diplomat now working for the International Crisis Group is missing in China, news that could further complicate an already tense diplomatic standoff over the arrest of a senior Chinese tech executive in Vancouver last week.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...8fc2_story.html

I was expecting that they would retaliate more directly against the US but I guess for now they're just trying to put pressure on Canada to prevent extradition.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

The meeting between Schumer, Pelosi, Pence and Trump was amazing apparently.

https://twitter.com/jdawsey1/status/1072571585884766210

Tinkle tape is real.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Dec 11, 2018

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

mdemone posted:

That was a rhetorical crutch, and beneath Scalia's talent. He was a perfectly fine sadist without having to be motivated by fiction.

24 was a symptom, just as Nino was, of the sickness that is centuries old now.
People just want to be justified in their impulse to hurt others. I could show my mother and sister peer-reviewed research stating that corporal punishment doesn't work for hours but they don't give a poo poo about research or even what's actually true, just that it feels like kids behave better in the short term if you hit them when they're bad. :eng99:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Do you know the name of the book? I'd love to read it, and maybe get it as a holiday gift for ... certain ... family members.

I tried finding it when I initially posted. I did find a bunch of interesting stuff from Luftwaffe interrogators* - who also agree torture was useless - but couldn't find the book I was thinking of.

It's weird. In the years after 9/11, mention of the book was everywhere, but I can't find it now.

I did find this great movie on youtube which was made during the war. It was used to actually train interrogators:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_SjWqF1Xc0

* The Interrogator: The Story of Hanns Joachim Scharff, Master Interrogator of the Luftwaffe looks interesting and I might just pick it up myself.

EDIT: Okay, this movie is legit fascinating. "Try to make the prisoner feel like you're his friend. The first one he's met since his capture."

They do recommend against giving the prisoner any food, water or cigarettes to "soften them up" before the interrogation. But that also leaves the interrogator to be the one who gets those things for the prisoner.

Reminds me a bit of The Wire where they just stuffed food into some of the suspects during interrogations.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Dec 12, 2018

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Megillah Gorilla posted:

More than that, the FBI did studies on this. They basically came to the conclusion in the 1940's that torture doesn't work to gather information.

Now, torture DOES work at getting false confessions. My guess is the Bush admin was torturing people to get false confessions, got found out, then tried to justify it and people ran with it.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Nelson Mandingo posted:

More than that, the FBI did studies on this. They basically came to the conclusion in the 1940's that torture doesn't work to gather information.

The Army interrogation manual prohibits torture too, and has basically forever. It literally block-quotes the Geneva Conventions. Just separating a prisoner from other prisoners has a whole bureaucratic process attached to approving it, and can't even be done to anybody covered by the Geneva Conventions. The 2006 update banned waterboarding by name.

Basically even organizations thought of as evil bastards don't think torture is actually useful for getting accurate data.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Now, torture DOES work at getting false confessions. My guess is the Bush admin was torturing people to get false confessions, got found out, then tried to justify it and people ran with it.

It's dumber than that. Dubya watched too much goddam 24 and ordered torture to happen, that was the extent of the thought process.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

sean10mm posted:

The Army interrogation manual prohibits torture too, and has basically forever. It literally block-quotes the Geneva Conventions. Just separating a prisoner from other prisoners has a whole bureaucratic process attached to approving it, and can't even be done to anybody covered by the Geneva Conventions. The 2006 update banned waterboarding by name.

Basically even organizations thought of as evil bastards don't think torture is actually useful for getting accurate data.

Remember that stupid talking point of "if there was a credible bomb threat in your city/school/scaretactic, wouldn't you want the authorities to use EVERY tool at their disposal to prevent it?" Or worse "What if the information they get prevents another 9/11?"

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I tried finding it when I initially posted. I did find a bunch of interesting stuff from Luftwaffe interrogators* - who also agree torture was useless - but couldn't find the book I was thinking of.

It's weird. In the years after 9/11, mention of the book was everywhere, but I can't find it now.

I did find this great movie on youtube which was made during the war. It was used to actually train interrogators:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_SjWqF1Xc0

* The Interrogator: The Story of Hanns Joachim Scharff, Master Interrogator of the Luftwaffe looks interesting and I might just pick it up myself.

EDIT: Okay, this movie is legit fascinating. "Try to make the prisoner feel like you're his friend. The first one he's met since his capture."

They do recommend against giving the prisoner any food, water or cigarettes to "soften them up" before the interrogation. But that also leaves the interrogator to be the one who gets those things for the prisoner.

Reminds me a bit of The Wire where they just stuffed food into some of the suspects during interrogations.

Thank you for this! Was only able to watch a few minutes so far, but will keep at it. Fascinating stuff.

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

Sort of dragging this vaguely back towards the original topic, Butina was in solitary confinement at the time she flipped although other factors clearly played a role.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

friendbot2000 posted:

Remember that stupid talking point of "if there was a credible bomb threat in your city/school/scaretactic, wouldn't you want the authorities to use EVERY tool at their disposal to prevent it?" Or worse "What if the information they get prevents another 9/11?"

These are the people who would also quite earnestly call for putting "our best and brightest" in charge of the TSA metal detectors.

Like, literal brain surgeons and rocket scientists, watching the X-ray screen on a conveyor belt

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

It's dumber than that. Dubya watched too much goddam 24 and ordered torture to happen, that was the extent of the thought process.

They also hired a pair (think it was two?) of consulting "psychologists" who came up with a bunch of the poo poo in the enhanced interrogation programs basically by pulling it out of thier asses.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

I used to attend church with one of the lawyers that helped draft the torture memos. To hear him talk, what they did was absolutely vital to the survival of our country.

People will tell themselves whatever lie they have to so they can sleep at night. As far as I'm concerned, he's a war criminal.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

But at least he went to church!

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Yeah, and if you look at Marine guides on intelligence gathering from the "Small Wars" in Latin America during the 1930s, they basically say the same thing. Torture doesn't work, and you should use techniques basically analogous to modern best practice.

However by the 1970s or so torture does start appearing as a recommended technique in material produced by the US government, or at least CIA produced anti-communist manuals distributed to allies abroad. It's not clear that gathering intelligence was even really the aim of such tactics, as simply terrorizing peoples was itself seen as a goal.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Michael Cohen sentenced to three years in prison for crimes committed while working for Trump

quote:

A federal judge on Wednesday sentenced President Trump’s former lawyer Michael Cohen to three years in prison for financial crimes and lying to Congress, as the disgraced former “fixer” apologized for his conduct but also said he felt it was his duty to cover up the “dirty deeds” of his former boss.

Cohen made an emotional, teary apology to U.S. District Judge William H. Pauley III, taking responsibility for crimes that included tax violations, lying to a bank, and buying the silence during the 2016 campaign of women who alleged affairs with the future president.

“My weakness could be characterized as a blind loyalty to Donald Trump,” Cohen told the packed courtroom. He stood at a podium, sniffling and fighting back tears as he spoke, and paused occasionally to regain his composure.

The judge also ordered Cohen to pay nearly $2 million in financial penalties.

Pauley said Cohen’s sentence should reflect the competing interests of his case — punishing those who repeatedly break the law, and rewarding those who cooperate and provide truthful testimony.

Michael Cohen, right, President Trump's former lawyer and “fixer,” is accompanied Wednesday by his wife and children as he arrives at the federal courthouse in New York for his sentencing hearing. (Craig Ruttle/AP)

“Our democratic institutions depend upon the honesty of our citizenry in dealing with the government,” Pauley said, calling Cohen’s crimes serious, particularly given his profession.

“As a lawyer, Mr. Cohen should have known better. Tax evasion undercuts the government’s ability to provide essential services upon which we all depend,” the judge said. “While Mr. Cohen is taking steps to mitigate his criminal conduct by pleading guilty and volunteering useful information to prosecutors, that does not wipe the slate clean.

“Mr. Cohen selected the information he disclosed to the government. This court cannot agree with the defendant’s assertion that no jail time is warranted. In fact this court firmly believes that a significant term of imprisonment is fully justified in this highly publicized case to send a message,” the judge said.

Trump made no immediate statements following the sentencing.

Cohen pleaded guilty in two separate cases. One was brought by Robert S. Mueller III, who is investigating Russia’s interference in the 2016 presidential election, over Cohen’s lies to Congress. The other was brought by federal prosecutors in New York over tax and bank fraud allegations and campaign finance violations.

In his emotional appeal for leniency, Cohen denounced what he called his own weakness in the service of his former boss, the president.

“I stand before your honor humbly and painfully aware that we are here today for one reason, because of my actions that I pled guilty to,” Cohen said. “I take full responsibility for each act that I pled guilty to, the personal ones to me and those involving the president of the United States of America.

Cohen said there was a deep irony about his sentencing, because he felt that he was finally getting free from Trump. “Today is the day I am getting my freedom back as you sit at the bench and contemplate my fate,” he said. “I have been living in a personal and mental incarceration ever since the fateful day that I accepted the offer to work for a famous real estate mogul whose business acumen I truly admired. In fact I now know there is little to be admired.”

Cohen cited a recent tweet from the president calling Cohen “weak” for cooperating, and said the president was right, but not in the way he meant.

“It was my own weakness and a blind loyalty to this man that led me to choose a path of darkness over light,” he said. “Time and time again I felt it was my duty to cover up his dirty deeds.”

Cohen was joined in court by his wife and children. Upon leaving, he strode past a bank of television cameras, ignoring a microphone stand that had been set up, and departed in a black SUV. Moments later, Michael Avenatti, the lawyer of one of the women Cohen arranged to be paid hush money, told reporters Cohen “deserved every day of the 36 month sentence” he received.

“Michael Cohen was sentenced today,” Avenatti said. “Donald Trump is next.”

In a court filing asking for no jail time, Cohen’s lawyers wrote that their client’s misdeeds were a product of his “fierce loyalty” to Trump and put the wrongdoing squarely at the feet of the president and his close advisers.

Cohen’s lawyer, Guy Petrillo, urged the judge to be lenient in light of what he called Cohen’s courage and “the remarkable nature and significance” of his decision to cooperate against Trump.

“He knew that the president might shut down the investigation . . . He came forward to offer evidence against the most powerful person in our country,” said Petrillo. He did so not knowing what the result would be, not knowing how the politics would play out, not knowing if the special counsel would even survive.”

As a result, Petrillo said, Cohen and his family have faced public outrage and threats.

“This is not a case of standard cooperation,” Petrillo said, because the investigation in question is as significant as the Watergate probe into President Nixon 40 years ago.

Petrillo said Cohen is willing to cooperate further with the FBI, and said it was unfair for prosecutors to say he is refusing to discuss other possible crimes he may know about.

“He’s ready to do that,” said Petrillo. “It’s fundamentally unfair for a prosecutor to ask a court to sentence a defendant on hypothetical facts and circumstances.”

Trump and his legal team have sought to downplay Cohen’s allegations, and the president had said Cohen deserves a “full and complete” sentence. Trump has denied having the affairs, and this week accused his political opponents of focusing on the campaign finance matter because, the president claimed, they had failed to prove his campaign coordinated with Russia to influence the election.

“Cohen just trying to get his sentence reduced,” Trump wrote on Twitter. “WITCH HUNT!”

Jeannie Rhee, part of Mueller’s Mueller prosecution team, told the judge that Cohen “has endeavored to account for his criminal conduct in numerous ways,” providing “credible and reliable information about core Russia-related issues under investigation.”

Rhee said she could not go into detail about the ongoing Russia investigation, but said Cohen was “helpful” to the probe. Cohen, she said, was “careful to note what he knows and what he doesn’t know . . . Mr. Cohen has sought to tell us the truth, and that is of utmost value to us.”

The special counsel’s office, for its part, seems to view Cohen as a valuable cooperator. Mueller’s prosecutors did not recommend any particular punishment in their case, but said he should not serve any additional prison time beyond his sentence in the New York case.

They credited Cohen with providing “useful information” about the ongoing probe of Russian interference in the 2016 election, as well as “relevant information” about his contacts with people connected to the White House between 2017 and 2018.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rY0WxgSXdEE

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Squalid posted:

Yeah, and if you look at Marine guides on intelligence gathering from the "Small Wars" in Latin America during the 1930s, they basically say the same thing. Torture doesn't work, and you should use techniques basically analogous to modern best practice.

However by the 1970s or so torture does start appearing as a recommended technique in material produced by the US government, or at least CIA produced anti-communist manuals distributed to allies abroad. It's not clear that gathering intelligence was even really the aim of such tactics, as simply terrorizing peoples was itself seen as a goal.

I knew the guy who authored the main CIA text on the subject that was widely distributed in latin american and it was absolutely about terror first and foremost. The US has always used terror and extreme brutality as part of the international toolbook, but it was still pragmatically understood that if you did need information, tossing 1/3 of your prisoners out of helicopters wasn't the best way to get it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/11/nyregion/amazon-queens-lobbyists.html

quote:

In making a deal with Amazon, the mayor and the governor negotiated behind closed doors and created a process that prevents the City Council from having any power to amend or torpedo the agreement. City and state officials provided detailed information to the company and agreed to sign a nondisclosure agreement that required them to alert Amazon every time a news reporter made a public information request about the deal.

This is so loving disgusting. gently caress you Bezos.