Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Macaluso posted:

https://twitter.com/NinEverything/status/1072672974640214018

Can someone make a version of that gif where Danny Devito shakes his head no but at like 10x speed

I do not want to be crotch level of that horrible thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
found a tweet from a storyboard artist from back in july
https://twitter.com/DouglasEinar/status/1020348357494165504

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

found a tweet from a storyboard artist from back in july
https://twitter.com/DouglasEinar/status/1020348357494165504

https://twitter.com/DouglasEinar/status/1072210597951852544

Douglas, read the room

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Macaluso posted:

Can someone make a version of that gif where Danny Devito shakes his head no but at like 10x speed

They even screwed up his shoes. I don't think I even want to know what their excuse was for that one.

This all reminds me of how the Jem and the Holograms movie originally had a script faithful to the source material, but some overpaid butthole in a suit thought it needed to be more realistic. At this point, the odds of this movie turning out to be anything more than a dumpster fire are approximately zero.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Makes me wonder if Nintendo had to fight studios on Detective Pikachu having to be 'more realistic'. (which is a bit funny given the movie's clearly taking the same tack as the games in having a relatively grounded setting where superpowered critters live side by side with regular people every day without comment)

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Macaluso posted:

I don't care about sonic at all and i am laughing my rear end off

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
I am so god drat excited to see what he looks like in his full nude monster glory

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Y'all weird about a game character

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

starkebn posted:

Y'all weird about a game character

Okay I've seen way too many posts like this what is up with this

Are y'all seriously seeing people laugh at this hideous homunculus and thinking "wow, what a buncha horney furries" because I promise you, aint no one on God's green earth is into that.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Thinking what has been shown is hideous is what I'm commenting on

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I may not know art, but I know what's an abomination.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Das Boo posted:

I may not know art, but I know what's an abomination.

Mmm yes, this sonic the hedgehog movie truly shows us the horror of mankind, the horrors and abominations that exist within our selves. Truly it belongs along side Francisco Goya's "Saturn Devouring His Son"

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
They complain about nerds for having no standards then complain when they do have standards

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Senior Scarybagels posted:

Mmm yes, this sonic the hedgehog movie truly shows us the horror of mankind, the horrors and abominations that exist within our selves. Truly it belongs along side Francisco Goya's "Saturn Devouring His Son"

:psyduck:

I am so drat confused. This is the only place on the entire internet I've seen anyone go to bat for this movie, except I don't even know if you're actually going to bat for it or if you're just tut tutting people for putting in the disturbing, herculean effort of typing "lol".

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Also don’t have a problem with what we’ve seen of sonic’s design so far. :shrug: Though this being another “character in real world” movie instead of playing it straight like pokemon is doing is lame and I don’t expect much from it.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
The last time someone got mad about me not liking Sonic, I was 8

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

What is going on with his right ankle? His two shoes are different shapes.

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

Sonic the Hedgehog leaked trailer!!! Do not share ;-) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6b6HYHcF0A

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/DisneyPixar/sta...898973956886529

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Also where are his loving socks?

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Up, inside out, onward
Pixar likes making movie titles that are just directions

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I'm looking forward to aptly named Downhill.

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008

Inspector Gesicht posted:

A movie about 3d characters who come to life at night in 3dmax to improve their studio's steadily declining output.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I've seen a lot of people on twitter bringing up the second Spongebob movie has an example of how to do this kind of thing right, and I gotta agree. The movie wasn't nearly as good as the first but all those CG out of water scenes were really well done. They looked like they belonged there in the real world without sacrificing their normal designs. Sonic should've done this

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Pigbuster posted:

:psyduck:

I am so drat confused. This is the only place on the entire internet I've seen anyone go to bat for this movie, except I don't even know if you're actually going to bat for it or if you're just tut tutting people for putting in the disturbing, herculean effort of typing "lol".

Neither? I was making an elongated joke using das boos post saying it was an abomination and that they do not know art.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Sounds like Onward has a strong emotional core. Hope it doesn't get exec'd into something bland and formulaic.

https://twitter.com/mattsinger/status/1072911367831740420

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Senior Scarybagels posted:

Neither? I was making an elongated joke using das boos post saying it was an abomination and that they do not know art.

It didn't work

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

ALFbrot posted:

It didn't work

Apparently. Oh well. You win some and lose some.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

They should embrace what the franchise is for the fans instead.

John Waters' Sonic the Hedgehog

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

RBA Starblade posted:

They should embrace what the franchise is for the fans instead.

John Waters' Sonic the Hedgehog

Cop: I used to believe in something, Sonic. What do you believe?
Sonic: KILL EVERYONE NOW.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Onward doesnt mean horizontal change in distance

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Cockmaster posted:

They even screwed up his shoes. I don't think I even want to know what their excuse was for that one.

Are you seriously bitching that his shoes are different when it's been almost two decades since he started rocking Soap shoes and they've been redesigned with every new iteration since. This is like when the Tron Legacy trailer dropped and people were complaining that the light cycles weren't making 90 degree turns when that was something straight from the original movie, people who don't actually have any knowledge of or familiarity with the thing being updated are the ones crying loudest out of some weird reflexive outrage at change.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Hey some of us just miss Soap shoes

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
The nu-Sonic design is amazing because it's as if a group of professional artists and animators completely forgot everything about the design principles that make Sonic good. Sonic is a simple character with cartoonishly exaggerated proportions that serve to emphasize the only two facts you need to know about him, that A) he is fast and B) he is a hedgehog. Streamlined spiky head, big shoes (big and red to contrast against the body), noodle limbs. That's all there is, and that's all Sonic needs. But in choosing to adapt Sonic, they've somehow stripped out the cartoonish proportions that made him iconic, and instead have gone for more realistic proportions everywhere but his head that ultimately both deemphasize his speed and hedgehog-ness (again, the only two important details about the character) and render him as a horrifying monstrosity suffering from some mutant strain of gigantism that should not be allowed to live.

And we haven't even seen his face.

This is an utterly glorious trainwreck and I'm excited to see where it leads.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Guy Mann posted:

Are you seriously bitching that his shoes are different when it's been almost two decades since he started rocking Soap shoes and they've been redesigned with every new iteration since. This is like when the Tron Legacy trailer dropped and people were complaining that the light cycles weren't making 90 degree turns when that was something straight from the original movie, people who don't actually have any knowledge of or familiarity with the thing being updated are the ones crying loudest out of some weird reflexive outrage at change.

Tron Legacy did suck though. It might not have sucked for the reason you mentioned, but it did suck.

I say that not as a Tron fan (I've never even seen the original Tron), but just as a person who watches movies sometimes.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Guy Mann posted:

The shoes get redesigned often, but they're still the same recognizable design at the core: large red shoes with a white band on them. These are just uncomfortably tiny looking red laced sneakers, and they just feel off.

The changes in Detective Pikachu, at least, still basically captured the essence of the characters. The silhouettes are identical, but the little details shuffled around a bit to have them blend in with the live action setting more. And honestly, I think they succeeded, because a silky-smooth wrinkle-free Mr. Mime would be way more horrifying than what we got. But the changes to Sonic are just going to make him uncanny valley as hell.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah it sucks but I seem to watch it about once a year and I still enjoy it for some reason.

Probably related, the soundtrack is dope as hell, and it's shiny enough to chill out and listen to while watching.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Queen Combat posted:

Yeah it sucks but I seem to watch it about once a year and I still enjoy it for some reason.

Probably related, the soundtrack is dope as hell, and it's shiny enough to chill out and listen to while watching.

Let the record show I have no problem with the soundtrack of Tron Legacy, most things Daft Punk is involved with are great and so is that.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Queen Combat posted:

Its a a feast for the eyes and the ears, I was lucky enough to catch it in 3-d and hot drat.

Sucks the script was kind of lame and the main actor guy was bad. Getting out-acted by CGI Jeff Bridges has to be humiliating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
That's a good way to put it. It's extremely well put together. The set designs are great, the music is phenomenal, and the CGI isn't the worst (especially for 2008).

drat shame about the acting though. I think the most competent actors were, in descending order, the dressing programs, the 2 second Daft Punk cameo, CGI Jeff Bridges, that program that killed himself by jumping into the fan, and Zeus.

The main cast didn't make the list.