Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
(the * is Zestiria)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
It is way way too easy to get overleveled in Rorona

Sterk: "Rorona don't fight that dragon it's way too strong it will gently caress you up"
Astrid: "Do it you coward dragon scales are useful"
Dragon: *does 1 damage because it's tuned for someone who spends 50% of their calendar time sleeping on the couch*

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

CYBEReris posted:

i kind of like the roguelite aesthetic that centralizing everything in the single dungeon provides that got lost in P4

It'd be interesting given that all of the games ultimately rely on the concept of a universal unconscious but it'd have to be implemented much better than the fairly generic Tartarus/Mementos.

Maybe it's a surreal "dark world" version of the regular environment that allows for some clever visual metaphor?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

RareAcumen posted:

I'm thinking about getting Tales of Berseria but thread impression largely being 'just use Velvet's 'crush claw(?)' for easy mode/ I don't know what happens in a battle and sometimes I die and I don't know why is kinda keeping me off of it.

Were those just exaggerations? I've only beaten Symphonia and Vesperia so I have no experience with good Tales combat at all.

It's true that Velvet is pretty easy to play as, but you could just play as somebody else

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

This is the HOTTEST loving take but I think the dungeons in P5 are not good. All the "puzzles" are just busy work running back and forth and only serve to pad the length. In P3/4 you can just rush the boss floor, go one floor down and then grind on the most efficient enemies. P4 is very convenient, every dungeon is 8-10 floors so you know exactly what you're getting into. 3 had the problem where Fuuka constantly tells you "hmmmm, I think you're almost there!" when you still have like eight floors or something to go, but that problem is made even more significant in P5 where when a character says "we're almost there!" that is basically a signal that you're still at LEAST a full hour away. The burger dungeon is the worst on that front, they start saying you're almost there in the room with the big conveyor belt and the cranes, then you get into ANOTHER crane puzzle and then ANOTHER TWO FLOORS of airlock puzzles.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

This is the HOTTEST loving take but I think the dungeons in P5 are not good. All the "puzzles" are just busy work running back and forth and only serve to pad the length. In P3/4 you can just rush the boss floor, go one floor down and then grind on the most efficient enemies. P4 is very convenient, every dungeon is 8-10 floors so you know exactly what you're getting into. 3 had the problem where Fuuka constantly tells you "hmmmm, I think you're almost there!" when you still have like eight floors or something to go, but that problem is made even more significant in P5 where when a character says "we're almost there!" that is basically a signal that you're still at LEAST a full hour away. The burger dungeon is the worst on that front, they start saying you're almost there in the room with the big conveyor belt and the cranes, then you get into ANOTHER crane puzzle and then ANOTHER TWO FLOORS of airlock puzzles.

imo just save and take a break if you're getting tired. and if you aren't using SP Adhesive 3, then you shouldn't be trying to marathon the dungeons at all.

v my hot take is i didn't like persona 3's dungeons. i thought tartarus was way too long and repetitive, and whenever there was a dungeon before the full moon boss it sucked extra hard

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Dec 12, 2018

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
It's not really a hot take around these forums. I've seen plenty of people pine for p3/p4 dungeons.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The P5 dungeons were too long and would have been better if they were either shorter, or the game forced you to spend multiple days on them more often. They're still way better than most RPG dungeons which are both too long and extremely uninteresting to walk through, whereas at least in P5 you're doing something in the form of the stealth minigame

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I like the first P5 dungeon but it got soooo tiring to get through like pretty much every one afterwards. I was absolutely wishing for P4's by the end because at least then I could always just book it for the stairs to progress, give me that every day of the week or that mouse BS in the ark.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

cheetah7071 posted:

The P5 dungeons were too long and would have been better if they were either shorter, or the game forced you to spend multiple days on them more often. They're still way better than most RPG dungeons which are both too long and extremely uninteresting to walk through, whereas at least in P5 you're doing something in the form of the stealth minigame

I loved the P5 dungeons all the way through; they were far superior to the procedural maps from 3 and 4. I left Mementos until way late in the game, when I was able to just tank through it, because it was so disappointing after the main story dungeons. (Catbus aside.) I'm hoping for similar stuff in the next one.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

atholbrose posted:

I loved the P5 dungeons all the way through; they were far superior to the procedural maps from 3 and 4. I left Mementos until way late in the game, when I was able to just tank through it, because it was so disappointing after the main story dungeons. (Catbus aside.) I'm hoping for similar stuff in the next one.

Yeah I liked them too. They're too long but like, they have actual design which puts them ahead of just about every other RPG out there

I guess my real thesis is that Valkyrie Profile (1 and 2) has the best dungeons of any JRPG

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
no persona game has good dungeons

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

My friend asked me to rank the P5 dungeons from worst to best and I'm not even sure which one I could consider the best. Like...probably the museum is the least bad? The pyramid was whatever I guess but then all the other ones are tied for last place very bad dungeons.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
what are the best dungeons

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
all the dungeons in persona 5 are great except for the pyramid because anubis

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
For JRPGs? I'd probably say Lufia II and Etrian Odyssey. IMO for the most part dungeon design in a JRPG is something you only ever notice when it's bad, not when something is a shining positive example.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

every dungeon in Illusion of Gaia

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

the train in FF6 is a memorable one

i can't think of any cool setpiece dungeons in more recent JRPGs off the top of my head, maybe i just haven't played the ones that have them though

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Tales of Woe posted:

the train in FF6 is a memorable one

i can't think of any cool setpiece dungeons in more recent JRPGs off the top of my head, maybe i just haven't played the ones that have them though

Im a fan of Pitios in XV but its not like, for any of the reasons a jrpg dungeon is memorable or good

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
wild arms has some cool dungeons

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

The Colonel posted:

Personally I found that at least P2:EP had mostly decent dungeons for the first 1/2- 2/3 of the game. That was primarily because they just copied the layout of real spaces which are designed to let people move through them. Once you get to the ancient spaceship and old cosmic castle they really fall apart though.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
Wild Arms dungeons are basically just a series of themed puzzle rooms and they’re usually pretty neat

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I mentioned it earlier as my favorite RPG dungeons but valkyrie profile dungeons are puzzle platformers where the enemy symbols function both as random encounters and elements to platform on

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Sens fortress

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

cheetah7071 posted:

I mentioned it earlier as my favorite RPG dungeons but valkyrie profile dungeons are puzzle platformers where the enemy symbols function both as random encounters and elements to platform on

right, puzzle dungeons are fun. i guess my favorites are anything from wild arms, provided there is no reading involved in the dungeon's puzzles

Neurophage
Oct 11, 2012
Jimmy and the Pulsating Mass had some that I really liked.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Neurophage posted:

Jimmy and the Pulsating Mass had some that I really liked.

all of jimmy's dungeons ranged from decent to great, i think

with the exception of the very last one since it's just a grudge match of really ugly enemy encounters

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Relax Or DIE posted:

what are the best dungeons

labyrinth of amala is still my favorite, feels like one of those D&D adventure modules the GM takes out when they hate the party's characters and want them to suffer

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

oskar got thin

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

My friend asked me to rank the P5 dungeons from worst to best and I'm not even sure which one I could consider the best. Like...probably the museum is the least bad? The pyramid was whatever I guess but then all the other ones are tied for last place very bad dungeons.
Funny, because I hate the museum for being one of the dungeons that forces you out.

The Colonel posted:

wild arms has some cool dungeons
Yeah, the best dungeons tend to be in RPGs that give you tools like WA does. It lets them design dungeons that you can manipulate and puzzles that make you feel clever when you get the solution.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I think I'm the exact opposite, if there is anything to do in a dungeon that can be construed as puzzle-esque it usually drops to the bottom of my rankings. I like shorter, visually intriguing dungeons, and I'm fine with multiple cool, small areas I'll only travel to once over anything large and sprawling I backtrack through.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Barudak posted:

I think I'm the exact opposite, if there is anything to do in a dungeon that can be construed as puzzle-esque it usually drops to the bottom of my rankings. I like shorter, visually intriguing dungeons, and I'm fine with multiple cool, small areas I'll only travel to once over anything large and sprawling I backtrack through.
If the "dungeon" is basically just a corridor to the boss, I always end up asking myself what the point was. A nice theme and interesting visual design help, but video games for me are about the mechanics, and I want to be engaged playing the game, not just watching it.

That said, I do appreciate a dungeon with a convenient "exit door" or a warp to the entrance, because backtracking is like eating leftovers; it may have been fun the first time, but it loses its luster once it's sweet in the fridge a while.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Man, like. I thought I liked Firis reasonably enough but you post this and I'm just like "wait who even is that guy was he a party member???", so I try and list the party members in Firis mentally and it's actually really hard? It's like, Firis, her sister, early game shonen guy, rival alchemy girl, old mercenary dude, ruins researcher person and... That's the limit of my memory. And I think early game shonen guy was DLC but I swear I don't remember getting the DLC for Firis...

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
https://gematsu.com/2018/12/famitsu-review-scores-issue-1567

famitsu pls

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'm glad Super Neptunia is almost as good as Fallout 76

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Famitsu must actively hate it's readers with that review.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Famutsu 'reviews' are a joke and always have been.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Colonel posted:

no persona game has good

nobody reads famitsu for the actual review scores, they read them for the news. review scores are the thing they're blatantly bribed for so they can get news.

it's so blatant that whenever they delay publishing a score for a game everyone knows that's code for it being awful. And, well, Fallout 76 has been out for a month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Any puzzle dungeon in a game that’s already 70+ hours long means I just go right to Google if I get lost for so much as five minutes. You can have a long game, you can have hard puzzles, but not at the same time thanks!