Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

LividLiquid posted:

Can I ask if there's a reason people are calling me this?

That was a typo on my part.

I'm sorry, LividLiquid.

Joe Chill posted:

It was the autocorrect on my phone.

I assume this is what happened to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

How Daredevil should have ended.

https://twitter.com/ABC7/status/1071106210852524032

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
Yeah but then he would have turned into Danny and they already canned that show.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
BSS TV crosspost

https://twitter.com/variety/status/1072970738624315393?s=21

tl;dr - the deal Marvel signed with Netflix in 2013 has a clause stipulating that DD, JJ, LC, and IF cannot appear in non-Netflix Marvel shows for a minimum of two years after their respective series’ cancellation. currently unclear where Punisher fits in, as it wasn’t part of the initial 2013 deal

basically, this makes a revival (while not impossible) all the more unlikely, since the actors will need to find new work for the next two years and fan interest in a revival will probably cool over time, particularly, in light of the Marvel Studios Disney+ shows coming in the interim

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
So uh, didn't Disney still make money off of those Netflix shows because licensing? Why are they shooting themselves in the dick re Netflix properties? I don't think for one second that Netflix decided to do this without significant Disney pressure.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

DrNutt posted:

So uh, didn't Disney still make money off of those Netflix shows because licensing? Why are they shooting themselves in the dick re Netflix properties? I don't think for one second that Netflix decided to do this without significant Disney pressure.

This thread from an ex-Amazon exec is off on a few details here and there but I think explains it pretty well, and is in line with what the Hollywood trades have reported on the subject

https://twitter.com/ballmatthew/status/1069649213498277889?s=21

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Barry Convex posted:

This thread from an ex-Amazon exec is off on a few details here and there but I think explains it pretty well, and is in line with what the Hollywood trades have reported on the subject

https://twitter.com/ballmatthew/status/1069649213498277889?s=21

Thanks, that's a good read. And disappointing to say the least. That first season of Daredevil was so good. It's really too bad they couldn't continue to deliver, for a variety of reasons.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Disney should just say gently caress it and filming another season of Daredevil anyway. Then just hold it in the can until December 2020. Movies already sit in post for nearly that amount of time anyway. They keep on the Daredevil team, film this spring and summer and hold onto it for a year and half. Could feasibly do something similar with Heroes for Hire. Then assuming everything goes well, film another team up Defenders season in spring 2020 with a spring 2021 release.

In reality Marvel will probably just reboot them if anything, but there is a semi-feasible path there for them to take.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Teek posted:

Disney should just say gently caress it and filming another season of Daredevil anyway. Then just hold it in the can until December 2020. Movies already sit in post for nearly that amount of time anyway. They keep on the Daredevil team, film this spring and summer and hold onto it for a year and half. Could feasibly do something similar with Heroes for Hire. Then assuming everything goes well, film another team up Defenders season in spring 2020 with a spring 2021 release.

In reality Marvel will probably just reboot them if anything, but there is a semi-feasible path there for them to take.

Are you sure you want this, given that only half of season two was good and all of season three was mediocre?

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

They would just reboot it if anything. There is no reason to keep what Netflix started since only a handful of the Netflix shows were considered good by most people.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Which is kind of a bummer since the casting, with the exception of Iron Fist, was absolutely spot-on. It was the writing and execution that came up short. Not sure if that's a Netflix problem, though.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
My only hopes at this point are that they keep Punisher, because lmao at the idea that Disney+ would want anything to do with Frank Castle, and that Punisher season 2 is good.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Teek posted:

I’d imagine that the deal would also stipulate when they can start production, and Disney would have to renegotiate the cast/crew contracts

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
We're never going to see any of the Netflix Marvel characters ever again.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Probably not. They’re kinda too gritty for main screen or any Disney platform. Netflix worked cause they don’t give a poo poo about mature content.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Lycus posted:

We're never going to see any of the Netflix Marvel characters ever again.

I doubt that, but it’s probably going to be a while and it won’t be a direct continuation of the Netflix shows with the original cast (if they even bother to keep them in continuity at all)

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Cythereal posted:

Are you sure you want this, given that only half of season two was good and all of season three was mediocre?

Season three ruled though.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

SirSamVimes posted:

Season three ruled though.

In your opinion, but not mine.

Personally I put DD S3 on the same level as both seasons of Luke Cage, and Iron Fist S2 - decently entertaining and nothing more.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Dec 13, 2018

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Barry Convex posted:

I doubt that, but it’s probably going to be a while and it won’t be a direct continuation of the Netflix shows with the original cast (if they even bother to keep them in continuity at all)

I don't see why they'd ever bother. Disney will never see them as having the potential draw that they see in the minor film characters.

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica
I mean Daredevil Season 2 came out in 2016, 3 in 2018, so 2020 is right on track for a potential Season 4/revival. There was an even longer gap between Season 1 and 2 of Jessica Jones - November 2015 and March 2018 respectively. Really the closest releases were Iron Fist Seasons 1 and 2 and I think we all agree the character could use a bit of a break.

Give me a Marvel's Heroes For Hire and Marvel's Daredevil: Man Without Fear in 2020 and reintroduce Jessica to the Heroes for Hire show in the second season and it would work out pretty well. Assuming Disney is willing to pay to put all of that talent into two ensemble shows.

Emerson Cod fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Dec 13, 2018

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

I remember when people were like "Maybe next Netflix should make a show about Moon Knight!" and other characters that normal people have never heard of.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Lycus posted:

I remember when people were like "Maybe next Netflix should make a show about Moon Knight!" and other characters that normal people have never heard of.

Normal people haven't heard of any of these characters besides Daredevil and Punisher..

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

I guess by that metric, people have at least heard of Bucky and Falcon from the movies. Still feels like they're going with some D-listers instead of better heroes that only comic nerds know about.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
The better heroes are all booked tho.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Emerson Cod posted:

I mean Daredevil Season 2 came out in 2016, 3 in 2018, so 2020 is right on track for a potential Season 4/revival. There was an even longer gap between Season 1 and 2 of Jessica Jones - November 2015 and March 2018 respectively. Really the closest releases were Iron Fist Seasons 1 and 2 and I think we all agree the character could use a bit of a break.

Give me a Marvel's Heroes For Hire and Marvel's Daredevil: Man Without Fear in 2020 and reintroduce Jessica to the Heroes for Hire show in the second season and it would work out pretty well. Assuming Disney is willing to pay to put all of that talent into two ensemble shows.

A key distinction here would probably be that the cast/crew were all still under contract during the gaps between seasons, even the more protracted ones, and those contracts presumably wouldn’t just carry over to a continuation for Hulu/Disney+.

It’s not impossible, to be sure, but the logistical and financial hurdles mean I wouldn’t get my hopes up.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Disney wants absolutely nothing to do with Luke Cage and Jessica Jones, because they say the N-word on Luke Cage and Jessica Jones is, in many ways, a show about victims of assault and their trauma. That is extremely “Off-Brand”.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Bust Rodd posted:

Disney wants absolutely nothing to do with Luke Cage and Jessica Jones, because they say the N-word on Luke Cage and Jessica Jones is, in many ways, a show about victims of assault and their trauma. That is extremely “Off-Brand”.

for Disney+ maybe, but not Hulu. in theory

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
The most wrenching part about that twitter thread is about the talent. Goddammit, Charlie Cox is The One, anyone else cast as DD will be compared to him and it’ll take a lot for them to measure up.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
If we're talking about what we wished would happen, I really wish that the shower runners would plan for ~3 seasons from the beginning, write a tight story with a satisfying ending, end on a high note and move onto the next project. It's super disappointing that even in this age of streaming shows have only two possible fates; either cancelled prematurely without ending the story, or continue to exist until it turns to poo poo. I'm not all that sad about the end of the Netflix Marvel shows because the alternative wasn't going to be that great either.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Lycus posted:

Black Panther got a full length feature film. I'd bet money most people had never heard of him before that.

And Ant Man.

And Guardians of the Galaxy.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
Moon Knight was always a longshot but all things were possible while the Netflix deal lived. Now that deal is off. Long live Moon Knight.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
If you’re really lamenting a lack of Moon Knight, you can always go watch The MAXXX because it’s also about a homeless possible-super-hero whose grip on reality is disintegrating.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Field Mousepad posted:

Black Panther got a full length feature film. I'd bet money most people had never heard of him before that.

And Ant Man.

And Guardians of the Galaxy.

Nevermind, that's missing the point.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Between God of War 2018, American Gods, and this garbage looking Loki project, I eagerly anticipate Nordic rune tattoos overtaking Kanji tattoos as the new “white people getting tattoos of the wrong words because they can’t read them” tattoos.

I have tattoos in 3 languages but at least I fact check that poo poo!

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Bust Rodd posted:

Between God of War 2018, American Gods, and this garbage looking Loki project, I eagerly anticipate Nordic rune tattoos overtaking Kanji tattoos as the new “white people getting tattoos of the wrong words because they can’t read them” tattoos.

I have tattoos in 3 languages but at least I fact check that poo poo!

If I was of Nordic descent I'd totally want to get rune tattoos, but still probably wouldn't because of the crossover of nazi assholes that have them as well.

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Dec 14, 2018

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

HIRE WESLEY SNIPES AND MAKE MORE BLADE STUFF YOU HACKS.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Terror Sweat posted:

Sticky Fingaz has some words for you.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Still waiting on season 2 to resolve the cliffhanger. I'm sure Spike TV will renew it any day now.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Terror Sweat posted:

I still can't believe he didn't show up in Infinity War, what a waste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

PerniciousKnid posted:

I still can't believe he didn't show up in Infinity War, what a waste.

Refused to leave his trailer and they didn't have time to cgi him in.