Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I've gotten almost every crafter to 15 now, and Weaving to 30. It seems like Weaving and Blacksmithing are both particularly useful for the purposes of helping level other crafting/gathering classes (though I think carpentry might also make some DoH gear), so I'm thinking I'll focus on the two of those. Going to level my gathering now so I don't have to keep running to the MB for mats beyond those sold at the guildhouses.

Inventory management is a huge pain, though, particularly since crafting frequently uses materials produced by other crafting classes, etc. I need to throw away some stuff, but I'm not sure what I should throw away. I wish that crafting would automatically detect materials in your chocobo saddlebag; that'd make things far more manageable.

Cooking seems like the biggest pain in the rear end in terms of requiring a million ingredients and crowding my inventory with poo poo that other crafting classes can't use, so I think I'm going to hold off on that and fishing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Orthodox Rabbit posted:

A super flare that tags one party member and grows in power every time they die during the run

No you can't target yourself because that would be too easy

Unironically feel like this should be a DRK mechanic

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Culinarian has probably the most useful cross class skill you learn at 37, though.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!

Renegret posted:

Unironically feel like this should be a DRK mechanic

This is what I thought sole survivor was before the class came out and was really disappointed when I found out it was only for enemies. Let me target sole survivor on the RDM that wont stop dying

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
CUL to 37 and CRP to 50 have the most valuable cross class skills if you want to min-max your leveling.

Also, make sure that you have food (+3%) and have a crafting manual going while you craft (you can buy the level 2s from your GC supplier).

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

gently caress, same

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I don't play crafters, but here's my hot take: CUL should be a combat class.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Orthodox Rabbit posted:

This is what I thought sole survivor was before the class came out and was really disappointed when I found out it was only for enemies. Let me target sole survivor on the RDM that wont stop dying

New DRK skill: Reverse Cover

Transfer all damage to targeted party member. If targeted party member dies, Fray comes out of nowhere and laughs at them.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I just hope the SMNs get a new egi, because I fear the riot will prevent us from getting any 5.x patches.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Arist posted:

I don't play crafters, but here's my hot take: CUL should be a combat class.

CUL is responsible for both the most badass thing the WoL has ever done and the most anime thing the WoL has ever done so this would work.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Phone posted:

CUL to 37 and CRP to 50 have the most valuable cross class skills if you want to min-max your leveling.

Also, make sure that you have food (+3%) and have a crafting manual going while you craft (you can buy the level 2s from your GC supplier).

Would it maybe just be a good idea to level Culinarian through the Ixali quests and leves, because doing the recipe list is likely not going to be fun (though I'll probably complete it at some point)?

I find that the crafting foods seem to give a much bigger impact than combat foods. Like, the difference to stats is actually pretty noticeable, at least at these low levels.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Renegret posted:

New DRK skill: Reverse Cover

Transfer all damage to targeted party member. If targeted party member dies, Fray comes out of nowhere and laughs at them.

stop, i'm already struggling to come up with reasons to play classes other than DRK

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

Would it maybe just be a good idea to level Culinarian through the Ixali quests and leves, because doing the recipe list is likely not going to be fun (though I'll probably complete it at some point)?

Absolutely. Your grand company is also a good course of experience via delivery turn-ins, though I'm uncertain off the top of my head at what rank the option unlocks.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Ferrinus posted:

Also Foul upgrades to Ultima.

Alright calm down there, Lahabrea.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool
Make it so each Foul you use gives you a pip, 3 pips gives you an Ultima, which replaces Flare once it's active. Like Foul, they're not tied directly to Enochian, so you keep any charges you've saved even if Enochian falls off. This essentially makes Ultima a 90-second cooldown that you have a little more control over, without also making it another button you have to make space for.

Also I feel like they would make Fire V replace Fire I, since it would be easier and only require a single trait. And it would mean that you start with Fire III, then spam Fire IV until Enochian gets low, then cast Fire V before switching back to Fire IV. Something about that feels right.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Ehhh, I feel like Fire 5 shouldn't be something you cast once a cycle. But whether it's Five 4 or Five 5, something definitely needs to replace Fire 1.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Cabbit posted:

Ehhh, I feel like Fire 5 shouldn't be something you cast once a cycle. But whether it's Five 4 or Five 5, something definitely needs to replace Fire 1.

They should effectively merge Fire1/Fire3 and Blizzard1/Blizzard3 the way they've done in PvP. Which is to say, Fire should be a 180 potency 2.5s attack spell which grants or refreshes Astral Fire III on hit. Every time you land it, you have a 40% chance of getting the "Firestarter" status effect which allows you to instacast Fire III by pressing the same button. Blizzard would be a 180 potency spell that grants you Umbral Ice III on hit; I'm not sure whether Blizzard III should be its own proc, or just be what happens when you press the button and are already in an astral/umbral state, or something else.

Like in PvP, they could also effectively replace Scathe by just making it so that Fire and Blizzard spells are instant casts whenever you're in the opposite stance (maybe this is an effect of being in Astral Fire IV or Umbral Ice IV), so if you need to do minimal damage while retaining freedom of movement you just alternate from one to the other.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

I got a sprout Dragoon to goad the Warrior today in leveling roulette. Am I a hero? I really can't say, but yes.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Ferrinus posted:

They should effectively merge Fire1/Fire3 and Blizzard1/Blizzard3 the way they've done in PvP. Which is to say, Fire should be a 180 potency 2.5s attack spell which grants or refreshes Astral Fire III on hit. Every time you land it, you have a 40% chance of getting the "Firestarter" status effect which allows you to instacast Fire III by pressing the same button. Blizzard would be a 180 potency spell that grants you Umbral Ice III on hit; I'm not sure whether Blizzard III should be its own proc, or just be what happens when you press the button and are already in an astral/umbral state, or something else.

Like in PvP, they could also effectively replace Scathe by just making it so that Fire and Blizzard spells are instant casts whenever you're in the opposite stance (maybe this is an effect of being in Astral Fire IV or Umbral Ice IV), so if you need to do minimal damage while retaining freedom of movement you just alternate from one to the other.

I disagree because the whole point of being a Black Mage is to have spells with way too long cast times that deal massive damage, and Fire III fulfills that fantasy.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
That's why Fire 3 is the only spell that I bother casting

Martman
Nov 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Give BLMs a second Leylines so they can bounce around between them.

FaintlyQuaint
Aug 19, 2011

The king and his men.
Grimey Drawer

Cabbit posted:

I love this post.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

i just wiped to ifrit normal, ask me anything

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kaubocks posted:

i just wiped to ifrit normal, ask me anything

How did you feel about your starring role in Father of Light?

Rastan Beeza
Apr 3, 2016

Pancakes and vegetables are an important part of a dragon's daily diet.

Is this from the Encyclopedia 2 or 1?

I decided to re-sub for a month to dip my feet back in and see how the game is. Hoo boy, I always wondered why the Returner flower was needed, but floundering like an idiot in a couple of raids and dungeons as soon as I longed in to play a Healer again showed me why. I think I've got the hang of the flow again, but having all 10 Role Actions at once is loving with me on what to press button when.

I am steadily trying to raise my ilevel to at least i355 to do most things, but I'm at i343. Tempted to breakdown and cash out for a crafted weapon on MB if I can. Dunno if I should.

Besides Eureka and HoH, is there anything of note added since...4.2, I think?

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

just outdamaged both dps as tank in the burn, ask me anything

edit:

ImpAtom posted:

How did you feel about your starring role in Father of Light?

still need to watch this

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Suzaku and Alphascape both own hard if you haven't checked them out yet, along with the 4.3 story trial and the !fun! that is Ridorana.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Black Mage eventually getting Ultima / Megaflare seems obvious to me.

I still have no clue what Square is going to do with Samurai, though. The job as it is is super tight and removing almost any of its skills makes it fall apart pretty badly.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Im at least 30 crystals in the hole trying to ROLL MY 5TH LINE ON MY PYROS ROD RNG STATS ARE BULLSHIT.

Eureka status: Still bad

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

SKULL.GIF posted:

I still have no clue what Square is going to do with Samurai, though. The job as it is is super tight and removing almost any of its skills makes it fall apart pretty badly.

You remember those sicknasty moves from the lvl 50 Samurai quest?

Still got some trainin' to do.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

FaintlyQuaint posted:

I love this post.

Sometimes words blend together.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

EponymousMrYar posted:

You remember those sicknasty moves from the lvl 50 Samurai quest?

Still got some trainin' to do.

WAR getting to pummel foes with literal blasts of love.

I am OK with that.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Oh come on. None of you suggested Flare Star for BLM?!

Some FF9 fan's you lot are. :argh:

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Thyrork posted:

Oh come on. None of you suggested Flare Star for BLM?!

Some FF9 fan's you lot are. :argh:

I'm sorry to tell you that all the other FF9 fans died the same way that Vivi did.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Fire 5 gives the buff Rising Fire that requires you cast all of the Fire 1-5 spells in sequential order with increasing damage until you finally cast Fire 5 again at 2000 potency.

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!
Had my very first honest healer ever last night while I was doing levelling roulette on my SMN in Brayflox, who would just stand behind our GLD, wait til he dropped to about 1/3 hp and cast Cure2. We were GLD/WHM/SMN/SMN so zero AoE too, might have been the first time ever I've had my food buff drop in a levelling roulette.

Also now I have fester, I should remove energy drain from my toolbar right?

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

BrightWing posted:

Im at least 30 crystals in the hole trying to ROLL MY 5TH LINE ON MY PYROS ROD RNG STATS ARE BULLSHIT.

Eureka status: Still bad

For what purpose are you bothering to try and get good stats on an i385 weapon this late in the cycle?

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Tiger Millionaire posted:

Also now I have fester, I should remove energy drain from my toolbar right?

Nope. Sometimes you need to burn Aetherflow quickly or sometimes things his the fan so bad you need the extra shot of HP/MP. Fester's stronger for general use but even after you get Painflare you might need Energy Drain from time to time.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Rastan Beeza posted:

Is this from the Encyclopedia 2 or 1?

Vol. 2. There's like 2 pages on Dragon Speak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Patch 4.5 preview site is up. Not much we didn't know/speculate about already yet. BLU will feature in this patch, and the new healer dungeon armor is another goddamn white robe!