Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

Fermented Tinal posted:

The only sour beers worth drinking come from Belgium.

A nice geuze lambic is practically champagne in beer form.

You’re right about lambics but I disagree about country of origin. There are some amazing sour beers coming out of Australia at the moment, and I had a Sour Feijoa beer from 8Wired the other night that was unbelievably good.

As a side note, I dislike it when people talk about incredibly subjective topics in such objective terms.

If you don’t like the taste of something, no problem. It doesn’t mean it’s bad. Everybody is different and we all like different things. Thank gently caress for that, or we would all drive the same car, eat the same soylent, drink the same garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
The best beer I've ever had is a Rhubarb Gose from freigeist, which is from berlin. There's also a ton of solid sours and goses from the US.
Fermented Tinal should listen to his own avatar text as, yeah, personal preferences are a thing.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
I'm entitled to my opinion, and you're entitled to disagree with it. vOv

As for my custom title, I still have no idea who it was that got mad at me for telling Dave he should do what he felt best for himself to do when his ex contacted him before she got married or engaged or whatever.

E: The post that earned it, iirc was. "You know what you need to do, so I suggest you do that." or something along those lines.

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Dec 13, 2018

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
If you whine about the over-variety of beer available now kindly vacate because things are so much better than they were even a decade ago. You can, with some experimentation, get a beer that suits you almost perfectly. Think beer X is a little too malty? There will be a beer Y that fits you. It's amazing.

If you're a genre hopping whore like me it's even better. Beer is tremendous because of the sheer variety of flavors you can make with malt and hops.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Wrar posted:

If you whine about the over-variety of beer available now kindly vacate because things are so much better than they were even a decade ago. You can, with some experimentation, get a beer that suits you almost perfectly. Think beer X is a little too malty? There will be a beer Y that fits you. It's amazing.

If you're a genre hopping whore like me it's even better. Beer is tremendous because of the sheer variety of flavors you can make with malt and hops.

I'm working my way through an Alberta beer advent calendar right now. It's pretty rad, every day is a different beer from Alberta. Today's beer was an imperial red from a brewery right here in town, it was pretty good.

http://alberta.beer/joyful/

The only real stinker so far was the kolsch on the 9th. Something about it just tasted off.

Sgt Fox
Dec 21, 2004

It's the buzzer I love the most. Makes me feel alive. Makes the V8's dead.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

If any AI goons are in Victoria BC over Christmas want to meet with an rear end in a top hat Aussie I'm up for it.

There's at least a few of us from Victoria, isn't there? Never met any in person before though.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

I was emphatically expressing my disapproval of my son's reply yesterday and slapped my hand down on the kitchen island.

Granite is hard.

Tungsten Carbide is hard.

Tungsten Carbide lost and I broke my wedding ring in half.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Suburban Dad posted:

I didn't know what the gently caress I was doing with my first fast car, either.

God, and how. It was fun and terrifying while it lasted, but in both cases the crash was spectacular.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

meatpimp posted:

I was emphatically expressing my disapproval of my son's reply yesterday and slapped my hand down on the kitchen island.

Granite is hard.

Yikes. Bet that was fun to explain.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Gingerbread House Music posted:

Jack's Abby's Cranberry Berliner would like a word with you, young man.

From the couple sours I've tried, it's just not for my palate. To each their own.

meatpimp posted:

Tungsten Carbide is hard brittle.

That sucks. :( Good opportunity to get a silicone one now. I kind of wish I had done that in the first place after seeing so many mechanics at work with them. Pretty smart and easily replaced if it gets cut or whatever.

But, no, I went with titanium, so I don't think it'll ever get FUBAR'd to need replacement.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

meatpimp posted:

My son just turned 11. The other day he was making a bunch of noise in his room so I went to investigate and this was the exchange

:colbert: what are you doing
:cheeky: why do you care
:colbert: excuse me?
:cheeky: it was a simple question
:colbert: well here's a simple answer, you're loving grounded

He's already a teenager :smithicide:

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Silicone rings are the bomb. I have a titanium ring too, it's in a box in my night stand.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

meatpimp posted:

Granite is hard.

I feel that is a metaphor for something.

Can't figure out what though.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Applebees Appetizer posted:

:owned:

In other news I got the job. Min wage but 8 minute commute.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Congrats! Hopefully the commute distance/time makes up for the assumed pay difference?

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

meatpimp posted:

Granite is hard.

Be glad for that, otherwise we'd be poo poo out of luck when tungsten rings got caught on fingers.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

Suburban Dad posted:

From the couple sours I've tried, it's just not for my palate. To each their own.

it took me a long while to come round to drinking sours regularly. I think your palate changes over time. They're also very much a hot weather beer for me.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Suburban Dad posted:

Congrats! Hopefully the commute distance/time makes up for the assumed pay difference?

Well I'm not going to be spending $800/m on gasoline, oil changes, general maitenance, etc. So, kinda? Also it's full time and probably includes some OT.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Suburban Dad posted:

That sucks. :( Good opportunity to get a silicone one now. I kind of wish I had done that in the first place after seeing so many mechanics at work with them. Pretty smart and easily replaced if it gets cut or whatever.

But, no, I went with titanium, so I don't think it'll ever get FUBAR'd to need replacement.

Titanium, at least the one I have, scratches easily, which surprised the heck out of me. I’m wearing tungsten carbide now, but thinking about a silicone one. Normally, I just take the ring off when working in the garage or whatever.
My dad has kept his gold ring on his keychain for as long as I can remember.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Darchangel posted:

Titanium, at least the one I have, scratches easily, which surprised the heck out of me. I’m wearing tungsten carbide now, but thinking about a silicone one. Normally, I just take the ring off when working in the garage or whatever.

Fun fact: If you try to get a titanium ring engraved after purchase, when you get it back they generally will tell you, "It was getting scratched, so we polished it for you!" They have, in fact, thrown out your original ring and given you a new one, it's cheaper and easier.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
A silicone wedding ring sounds kinda strange. Like wouldn't it get all torn to hell and be not unlike just using a rubber band?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Fermented Tinal posted:

A silicone wedding ring sounds kinda strange. Like wouldn't it get all torn to hell and be not unlike just using a rubber band?

I have a wood one that is a pretty decent compromise between durability and degloving potential. Plus I won't blow my own finger off with microwaves or a battery terminal like some people I've worked with.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Suburban Dad posted:

Good edit. Brittle is, in fact, a better description of its properties. :D

I told my wife and she said "third time's the charm," since I lost the first one half a dozen years ago when I was mountain biking in mud, fell, shook out my hands and didn't notice until later that I shook off my ring. :(

At least they're less than :20bux:

At least I have a wife that doesn't blow a gasket about little poo poo.

My son just turned 11. The other day he was making a bunch of noise in his room so I went to investigate and this was the exchange

Been there. I've got a good kid, but there are some extra challenges. Plus, I've been sick for 2 weeks, had stomach flu Monday night, then drove his rear end 3 hours each way to Indianapolis on Tuesday night for a concert. It was the wrong time for sass. :D

Fermented Tinal posted:

In other news I got the job. Min wage but 8 minute commute.

Grats on the new income stream!

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Unless you're having ongoing issues, that seems like a heck of an overreaction.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Darchangel posted:

There's a reason mine started life as "brushed" titanium. I could always throw a scotch brite pad on a bench grinder to get it back to brushed vs. brushed and scrached, but :effort:.

Fermented Tinal posted:

It won't get caught on anything and take your finger off, and you'd barely notice it. My ring has a sharpish edge which I didn't think about much before buying, and is the bane of hand soaps. :v: I just didn't want a rounded looking one.

I feel like this is going to turn into "post your wedding rings ITT"

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Dec 13, 2018

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Be glad for that, otherwise we'd be poo poo out of luck when tungsten rings got caught on fingers penis.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Gingerbread House Music posted:

Unless you're having ongoing issues, that seems like a heck of an overreaction.

Nah, you have to nip that poo poo in the bud while they're still young enough to care what you think.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

Suburban Dad posted:

I feel like this is going to turn into "post your wedding rings ITT"

LloydDobler posted:

Nah, you have to nip that poo poo in the bud

I like my wedding ring:

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Nah, that'd be easy. Pull out the hammer, demonstrate what you're going to do by putting something on the beside table and then dramatically miss it several times, and then say, "Close enough, now put your penis on that table."

When we treat priapism, just pulling out a big loving needle and syringe and saying, "I'm going to stick this in your dick and take 60cc of blood out of it," often is enough to resolve the issue.

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001
I have this nerd ring for my wedding ring. Talk about sharp edges, though I liked wearing it until i got a piece of glass in my finger and caused nerve damage.
The nerve damage would be fine if it actually stayed numb, but feeling is coming back and its annoying.

Next will be a silicone ring, maybe it won't bother the scars.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Suburban Dad posted:

Silocone ring mention

My wife's father lost a ring finger to a soccer net. Ring got caught on a hook as he was jumping up to re-hook the net.

I've taken that as a lesson and I don't do a damned thing that's mechanically-related with a ring on. Many days it's in my pocket more than it's on my finger.

tetrapyloctomy posted:

When we treat priapism, just pulling out a big loving needle and syringe and saying, "I'm going to stick this in your dick and take 60cc of blood out of it," often is enough to resolve the issue.

I wish someone would have that recorded an put on youtube. That'd be one hell of an interaction.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Dec 13, 2018

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Fermented Tinal posted:

Nope. I mean they don't last forever when you're a blue collar worker, but I get 6 or 8 months easily before it gets replaced.

Also I have large knuckles and skinny fingers, so I can get a ring that actually fits my finger.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

meatpimp posted:

My wife's father lost a ring finger to a soccer net. Ring got caught on a hook as he was jumping up to re-hook the net.

I've taken that as a lesson and I don't do a damned thing that's mechanically-related with a ring on. Many days it's in my pocket more than it's on my finger.

When I was in the military they would show us pictures of the aftermath of rings getting caught on various things. Then a guy in my unit had his ring finger de gloved when he was jumping off the back of a fuel truck and it got caught on the ladder. I haven't worn any jewelry since and it just feels awkward to wear any now. I wear my wedding ring when we go out and stuff like that but it usually sits on my dresser.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

meatpimp posted:

I wish someone would have that recorded an put on youtube. That'd be one hell of an interaction.
There is all sorts of poo poo at work that I wish I could record and stream.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I've got a silver wedding ring. I just wear gloves during most mechanical work.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Titanium really isn't that hard a material. Common Ti-6Al-4V is probably mid thirties Rockwell C, about the same as a lot of alloy steels, something like Inconel can be mid forties quite happily.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I like my silicone rings but they react oddly to some of the lubricants at work so I wear a placeholder on a cord around my neck.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

tetrapyloctomy posted:

There is all sorts of poo poo at work that I wish I could record and stream.

My friend have you heard of Figure1?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Rhyno posted:

I like my silicone rings but they react oddly to some of the lubricants at work so I wear a placeholder on a cord around my neck.

This place has ruined me because I can't stop adding the word 'cock' 5 words in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

My ring was a perfect metaphor for my marriage. I asked for a smooth ring in white gold with a uniform design so I didn't have to orient it. What did I get? Yellow gold with deep, intricate grooves and 3 diamonds on one side. And it's not like I was shoving my opinion on her, she asked what I wanted and then did the exact opposite.

So I spent 10 years spinning it to orient the diamonds on top, and cleaning dirt and grease out of all the grooves. As I grew to hate the woman who gave it to me, I grew to hate that ring. And when we got divorced I threw the loving thing in the ocean.