Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title
Is there a solution to the store bug that doesn't involve going back to an old save?

I've been salvaging way too much and didn't clear out the inventory for a while. Additionally, I've been collecting mech chassis for the sake of career mode points (number of unique mechs + weight class completion). I'm at the point where if I go to a store to sell my stuff, I can only see mechs. If I try clicking on the weapons filter, I get a blank screen (I have alot of weapons to sell, and they show up in the mech lab). If I go back to an earlier save, I can sell weapons.

Am I right in assuming that this is due to having too many things to sell? Is there a way to fix this without going back to an old save or selling a bunch of mechs?

EDIT: Looks like it might be a bug with the big steel claw mech. Will test when I get home later.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Battletechgame/comments/a21tc4/flashpoint_store_bug/

Organ Fiend fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Dec 13, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Double check that it’s actually the bug by traveling to a system that is a) friendly with you and b) has enough population to support a store.

I thought I had run into it until I realized I was spending too much time tooling around backwaters or chasing missions for the FedSuns in Liao space.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Breetai posted:

Purchasing mech parts is no joke. Just went from all mediums (vindicator, shadow hawk, wolverine and Griffin) to having 2 stalkers as well thanks to Arano selling 3* parts in two of their markets for $900,000 a pop.

Where can I buy stalkers?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The zone usually has some :v:

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Organ Fiend posted:

Is there a solution to the store bug that doesn't involve going back to an old save?

I've been salvaging way too much and didn't clear out the inventory for a while. Additionally, I've been collecting mech chassis for the sake of career mode points (number of unique mechs + weight class completion). I'm at the point where if I go to a store to sell my stuff, I can only see mechs. If I try clicking on the weapons filter, I get a blank screen (I have alot of weapons to sell, and they show up in the mech lab). If I go back to an earlier save, I can sell weapons.

Am I right in assuming that this is due to having too many things to sell? Is there a way to fix this without going back to an old save or selling a bunch of mechs?

EDIT: Looks like it might be a bug with the big steel claw mech. Will test when I get home later.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Battletechgame/comments/a21tc4/flashpoint_store_bug/

Yea, the BSC bug is pretty bad going by all the reports I've seen. Readying it from storage seems to clear the issue but deletes the unique chassis. You could do that just to get basic functionality back and then make a small mod to the stores for a $0 BSC if you know how to mod. Then buy it back once it is patched and then remove the store mod.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

RBA Starblade posted:

get out of here

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

I finally got my career mode merc Lance strong enough to handle the first flashpoint. It took almost 400 days to get enough parts for more due to the RNG and the fact that my pilots would always hit the opposite torso or leg than what I had selected for called shots. I also had the game crash on me on a mission where I had actually managed to incapacitate two pilots in medium mechs when I had max salvage selected (and why the hell doesn't the crash message give us the email address to send the log to???).

So, I played the hatchetman reveal mission. Which was fun. The opfor was tough in the second part. However, the reinforcement Lance also included a hatchetman. I assume that was a RNG thing as well. It's also extremely lazy to have this "rare valuable mech" appear in that particular mission. Nevermind that I ran into it a couple of times previously in 1.5 skull missions.

rocketrobot fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Dec 13, 2018

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Gee thanks for the ammo-less gauss rifle I got as a flashpoint reward.
Now I just need to visit 100 systems in a vain hope of somehow lucking out at finding ammo in a store.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

ditty bout my clitty posted:

Now I just need to visit 100 systems in a vain hope of somehow lucking out at finding ammo in a store.

Oh poo poo. Is it possible to get some via the console?

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Spoilermechs are more common in stores than Gauss Rifles or ammo are.

Psycho Landlord fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Dec 14, 2018

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

Check your mech lab. If this is the same flashpoint I'm thinking of, I also looked at the flashpoint rewards and didn't see (or notice) GR ammo, but when I went into the mechbay, I found that I had two tons of GR ammo).

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

There should be a reward where you only get the ammo, with the idea being the mission was a scam

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

Amechwarrior posted:

Yea, the BSC bug is pretty bad going by all the reports I've seen. Readying it from storage seems to clear the issue but deletes the unique chassis. You could do that just to get basic functionality back and then make a small mod to the stores for a $0 BSC if you know how to mod. Then buy it back once it is patched and then remove the store mod.

Is BSC required for the weight class completion career achievement? If not, I'll just trash the drat thing.

Side points, but they're related:

It would be really nice if there was a way to see which mechs you have and which mechs you need for weight class completely.

It would also be really, really nice if there were toggles on the star map so that you could see the following on all of the planets without clicking on them
-Difficulty level
-Faction stores/black markets
-A "visited" flag for system visitation completion
-Just about any other important attribute like star league presence, manufacturing, etc.

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

RBA Starblade posted:

There should be a reward where you only get the ammo, with the idea being the mission was a scam

You should be able to buy unlimited amount of ammo for any weapon you own, since the "ammo" you buy is really just ammo bins (since ammo is reloaded free of charge after each mission, so its not like the GR ammo itself is rare or something).

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Organ Fiend posted:

Check your mech lab. If this is the same flashpoint I'm thinking of, I also looked at the flashpoint rewards and didn't see (or notice) GR ammo, but when I went into the mechbay, I found that I had two tons of GR ammo).

Double, triple and quadruple-checked :(

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

RBA Starblade posted:

rt4 posted:

get out of here

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Organ Fiend posted:

Is BSC required for the weight class completion career achievement? If not, I'll just trash the drat thing.

Side points, but they're related:

It would be really nice if there was a way to see which mechs you have and which mechs you need for weight class completely.

It would also be really, really nice if there were toggles on the star map so that you could see the following on all of the planets without clicking on them
-Difficulty level
-Faction stores/black markets
-A "visited" flag for system visitation completion
-Just about any other important attribute like star league presence, manufacturing, etc.

All of those suggestions I've asked for at various times. The star map filter by skulls and tags would make things flow so much faster for me.

The BSC, all 4 Flashpoint 'Mechs, Star League and any other "special" variants do not seem to count against the score, but will actually count toward the score. This allows you to go above the top score possible for 'Mech chassis. :confuoot:

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

:golfclap:

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Man, the Cyclops Z is neat, but light on tonnage. I think it might actually be balanced pretty well because you're basically forcing yourself to take a fat heavy with you (and not even that well geared a heavy - I think the Orion has more usable tonnage). I'll have to see how insane all my assaults going in phase 2 is, but it's definitely a bit of an anchor.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
Cyclops Z has 41 tons available vs Orion's 42.5, and its Jump Jets are 2 tons a piece rather than 1 ton.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

I'm sure it's a terrible build, but I have an ac/20 and a couple of medium lasers on mine, and just use it for soaking up damage. I don't have any other assaults yet (2/3rds of a banshee so far, another 2/3 of a second cyclops), but it works well. I'm guessing when I start running into more big boys it'll be a liability, but having my heavies moving like mediums is pretty sweet.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
if it had one more missile slot you could probably build a p. good LRM boat out of it and the initiative gain would make it a legitimately good mech

I do like the Q quite a bit because you can cram a shitload of SRMs into it and even without JJs it is very scary up close

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Anyone have any good orion builds? I lucked out and got two recently, but the default build is kinda underwhelming.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

I'm running a Cyclops Z in my endgame lance with an LRM 20, an AC10, and some MLs just in case. The secret is to not worry about putting jumpjets on it and accept that it should never, ever close with the enemy because it is made of paper for its weight class. It's doing fine.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
I bought the game recently and are just doing the campaign for the first time. It was a nice hurdle to get over when I started to get thunderbolts and other things with actually some armor in the op force. Running 3x jagermechs + 1 thunderbolt for the moment.
AC20 + called shot mastery is real nice.

I don't like that some times the game triggers both the main force + the reinforcements at the same time on first contact. Which means I'm real iffy about doing mission with the same drop stars as my team.

My dekker is alive but cursed. 3 times he's gotten injured in the first mission after getting healthy.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I got the game when it launched but had quite a lot performance problems, and the forced animations made the game too slow for me. This was before they released the first patch, but I got distracted by something or other and didn't come back to the game. With the release of the DLC, I'm wondering what changes have been made since launch.

Not really interested in the DLC itself, it seems it's more or less independent of the base game and I want to do a story run first.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Fat Samurai posted:

I got the game when it launched but had quite a lot performance problems, and the forced animations made the game too slow for me. This was before they released the first patch, but I got distracted by something or other and didn't come back to the game. With the release of the DLC, I'm wondering what changes have been made since launch.

Not really interested in the DLC itself, it seems it's more or less independent of the base game and I want to do a story run first.

In 1.1 we got a much better stability system that scales by weight class so an Assault is harder to knock over than a Light 'Mech, weapon heat also got a pass and LL are good now but PPCs still hot. 1.2 brought an updated morale system, new paint colors and a number of smaller UI/bug fixes. 1.3 adjusted the abilities to make Bulwark work with mobile play and added Career Mode where there is no main story quest and you are free to travel the map on day 1. In addition to revamping the reputation aspect of the simgame, you can now ally with factions to gain access to their good shops and even pay your Sam's Club fees for access to the Black Market. The ability respec also returns any player spent exp in SP, so play around with combat in skirmsih for a bit before spending all your points in your old saves.

There is something off with loading time on 1.3 and one nasty bug dealing with DLC content, but otherwise the game's systems have mature nicely. For the loading times, the mods Turbine and BT Performance Fixer have been a massive help for me. You also mentioned slow combat pauses and there is a common "mod" a lot of people just hand-jam (Can you edit a text file? You can mod this) the audio delays and I've released a mod, QuickCam, that reduces the forced camera delays to reasonable levels. I also run the cFixes mod, a community patch/mod to correct typos in the files we know about, for example all ER-PPCs are missing the PPC targeting debuff and we slapped it back in. Turbine, BT Perf. Fixer, cFixes and QuickCam mods need BTML/ModTek injectors to work, but those are the standard loaders everyone uses for modding.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Anyone have any good orion builds? I lucked out and got two recently, but the default build is kinda underwhelming.

Ac20 and as many SRMs as you can fit. I think I had two sixes and s four. One of the variants can’t fit as many SRMs so throw in some ML. Go heavy on armor but you can get away with only having 85% of max. No JJs. Add heat sinks and ammo as you see fit.

With regular weapons it’s a beast all the way through the heavy portion of the game and with +++ it’s a legit threat to the biggest assaults.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

That's very helpful, thanks.

Hawgh
Feb 27, 2013

Size does matter, after all.
Opfor on this 3-skull battle mission:

1 Commando.
1 goddamn Highlander.

Commando got ripped in half by my Dragon round 1, and then I spent the rest of the mission tripping the highlander over like I was bullying it in a schoolyard.

Came in super handy during three-parter flashpoint that came up afterwards.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Do any events have multiple parts? I took on a mechwarrior recruit named Squire (he had a purple icon!) for some guy named Allard because no one else would. Does anything come of that or do I just have a new buddy?

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Cyrano4747 posted:

Ac20 and as many SRMs as you can fit. I think I had two sixes and s four. One of the variants can’t fit as many SRMs so throw in some ML. Go heavy on armor but you can get away with only having 85% of max. No JJs. Add heat sinks and ammo as you see fit.

With regular weapons it’s a beast all the way through the heavy portion of the game and with +++ it’s a legit threat to the biggest assaults.

Cool, I'll set it up. Time to go headhunting assaults.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Finally have to put my campaign play on pause. Got hit with the shop weapons bug and I didn't find any Star League tech for over two hours of just flying around checking the Black Market and Faction stores. Nothing else to do really but see what I can do in career mode, or maybe break some alliances.

Also, is the whole Volkovite anger event a bug or working as intended, since I decided to help them escape after beating on them ?

evilmiera fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Dec 14, 2018

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Okay, cool. Headcapped the stalker in the braying of the hounds first mission, did not show up as salvage. Zero parts.

Did anyone playtest this thing, or was this made by some sadist?

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Did anyone playtest this thing, or was this made by some sadist?

From what I've heard, Kiva is a massive sadist who glories in your wallowing misery.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Sky Shadowing posted:

From what I've heard, Kiva is a massive sadist who glories in your wallowing misery.

Don’t dangle mechs I can’t have in front of me.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

I'm a fan of JJs on mechs in general, but the Orions are in a spot where they can squeeze a lot of efficient firepower by giving them up, as such:

If you have them, the 50 damage LL++ combined with 12 damage SRM6++ are enough to destroy the head (50+12=62) on a mech out of cover, so a Called Shot from the front on a Called Shot Master pilot with two such LLs plus 12~18 SRMs has a 1 in 3 chance of immediate decapitation.

Also, the LL+++ has both 50 damage and an inherent +4 accuracy bonus, making it one of the best weapons in the game.

The ON1-K has its own flavor of that - no third launcher so it packs JJs instead, and it can do lopsided to maximize tankyness:

If you don't care about that, or don't have the necessary equipment, then this is the MLas+SRM classic, with Jump Jets:

And this is the one if you just want to squeeze the most firepower possible out of the chassis without sacrificing armor:

AC20+SRMs and LRM60 also work, but they're peasant builds so I won't post designs for them.

Design Notes:
- Ammo goes in the legs. They are tough and have a low chance to get hit compared to other sections, and while getting crit and knocked down sucks, it sucks more to get crit and instantly lose several rare weapon variants.

- Jump Jets go in the torsos. Even if you lose your legs you can still jump just fine - unless you also put your JJs in the legs, ensuring your mobility is compromised no matter what.
- If playing correctly you shouldn't be taking any unintentional rear shots at all, such that when you do it should be a calculated risk (ie a few potshots), therefore you don't need much back armor. I slap in just enough to block a medium laser so that I don't immediately start rolling criticals in such a case.
- Empty side torsos, on the other hand, need no such protection. If the enemy hits them and starts doing structure there, that's a net win - means you didn't get hit on the bits you actually care about.
- Similarly, lopsided builds like the ON1-K example above are better than more distributed designs. If you have nothing on the right arm and nothing on the right torso, that's 29.6% of hits going on sections you just don't care about. It's essentially ablative HP.

Wait, I can hear it coming now: "But if you lose your left side, you lose all your weapons!"

Well, yes, but if you start taking structure on a segment you care about you should start pulling back anyway. Once you've got some Argo upgrades down then repairing structure and replacing parts takes only a couple days, but needing to also replace equipment on top of that can put the mech on the shop for weeks, nevermind the loss of premium gear. It's just not worth.

OTOH empty segments, and putting ammo away from your weapons, gives you much better control over your HP. It's what makes designs like the Menturion so good in this game - it both punches above its weight with an efficient weapons package, and has the structure of its arms and right torso as entirely disposable HP.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I will never not slap an ac20 onto an Orion and fire the big iron on its hip

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Conspiratiorist posted:

I'm a fan of JJs on mechs in general, but the Orions are in a spot where they can squeeze a lot of efficient firepower by giving them up, as such:

If you have them, the 50 damage LL++ combined with 12 damage SRM6++ are enough to destroy the head (50+12=62) on a mech out of cover, so a Called Shot from the front on a Called Shot Master pilot with two such LLs plus 12~18 SRMs has a 1 in 3 chance of immediate decapitation.

Also, the LL+++ has both 50 damage and an inherent +4 accuracy bonus, making it one of the best weapons in the game.

The ON1-K has its own flavor of that - no third launcher so it packs JJs instead, and it can do lopsided to maximize tankyness:

If you don't care about that, or don't have the necessary equipment, then this is the MLas+SRM classic, with Jump Jets:

And this is the one if you just want to squeeze the most firepower possible out of the chassis without sacrificing armor:

AC20+SRMs and LRM60 also work, but they're peasant builds so I won't post designs for them.

Design Notes:
- Ammo goes in the legs. They are tough and have a low chance to get hit compared to other sections, and while getting crit and knocked down sucks, it sucks more to get crit and instantly lose several rare weapon variants.

- Jump Jets go in the torsos. Even if you lose your legs you can still jump just fine - unless you also put your JJs in the legs, ensuring your mobility is compromised no matter what.
- If playing correctly you shouldn't be taking any unintentional rear shots at all, such that when you do it should be a calculated risk (ie a few potshots), therefore you don't need much back armor. I slap in just enough to block a medium laser so that I don't immediately start rolling criticals in such a case.
- Empty side torsos, on the other hand, need no such protection. If the enemy hits them and starts doing structure there, that's a net win - means you didn't get hit on the bits you actually care about.
- Similarly, lopsided builds like the ON1-K example above are better than more distributed designs. If you have nothing on the right arm and nothing on the right torso, that's 29.6% of hits going on sections you just don't care about. It's essentially ablative HP.

Wait, I can hear it coming now: "But if you lose your left side, you lose all your weapons!"

Well, yes, but if you start taking structure on a segment you care about you should start pulling back anyway. Once you've got some Argo upgrades down then repairing structure and replacing parts takes only a couple days, but needing to also replace equipment on top of that can put the mech on the shop for weeks, nevermind the loss of premium gear. It's just not worth.

OTOH empty segments, and putting ammo away from your weapons, gives you much better control over your HP. It's what makes designs like the Menturion so good in this game - it both punches above its weight with an efficient weapons package, and has the structure of its arms and right torso as entirely disposable HP.

This is an excellent post. I will add that double AC5 + max SRM builds are very fun. Doubly so when you get gear that does additional stability damage. Sadly, you can't do that in the K.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

RBA Starblade posted:

I will never not slap an ac20 onto an Orion and fire the big iron on its hip

Yup. It’s also legit useful to be able to blow into structure on even assaults and heavies without stacking poo poo on an aimed shot. That’s less of a concern late game when morale is nuts but if you get an orion as an early heavy it’s murderous.