Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

When is this Skorne deliciousness supposed to go live?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

head58 posted:

This coming week, I think.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

neonchameleon posted:

From the Skorne Facebook group:

Wow, that's a big change. Even if it doesn't make Skorne competitive, it makes them more entertaining. I just also hope irregulars extends to more casters in more factions. Abby1 as an example should always have forsaken available to her. I'd also be happy if elite carde was just changed so that the cadre could be taken without regard to theme ala bonded jacks, but that's a bridge too far I guess-- adding bloodrunners or swordsmen into other themes probably has some unforseen side effects.

quote:

Xekaar isn't that bad any more. Turns out that 3 point arc nodes with telemetry were precisely what a Fury 6 caster with an offensive spell list an no defensive tech needed to land spells like Mortality, Pursuit, and Deadweight. (He's still not setting the tournament world on fire, but Xekaar backed up by Marketh and two immortal vessels is far from a joke pick and feels just as Cryxian as Rasheth.)

I never thought about using Xekaar in exalted, but now that he can arc he seems a good bit better. I'm not worried about being best in class, but prior to arcing Xekaar was just plain bad. You got a single mortality out of Marketh before he died, and then you were stuck putting your caster into harm's way to do much of anything. Witch mark in particular seemed like a huge trap.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Skorne are pretty competitive now though? They haven't been bad for like, a year.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Yeah, but they were somewhat narrow as far as options. I'm just glad they're getting a broader bench.

zerofiend
Dec 23, 2006

Skorne is one of the best factions in the game before these changes, to call them not competitive is laughable.

As for Xekaar, his feat is really strong and Chiron makes him worth playing. I took him to several events including a WMW qualifier. Yeah, his survivability can be a problem. I just camp 5 or 6 every turn.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

rkajdi posted:

I never thought about using Xekaar in exalted, but now that he can arc he seems a good bit better. I'm not worried about being best in class, but prior to arcing Xekaar was just plain bad. You got a single mortality out of Marketh before he died, and then you were stuck putting your caster into harm's way to do much of anything. Witch mark in particular seemed like a huge trap.

The Immortal Vessels are extollers so they also go in MoW and WoD. Winds of course gives Xekaar a triple battle engine build. And yes, the only use for Witch Mark is in battlebox games.

Also Marketh's getting upgraded so before you throw him in to the mix you can reduce the cost of Xekaar's spells

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

neonchameleon posted:

The Immortal Vessels are extollers so they also go in MoW and WoD. Winds of course gives Xekaar a triple battle engine build. And yes, the only use for Witch Mark is in battlebox games.

Also Marketh's getting upgraded so before you throw him in to the mix you can reduce the cost of Xekaar's spells

OK, now I'm just dumb. Vessels being in non-exalted lists didn't even occur to me, and that changes the game for a lot of casters. 3pt multi-use arc nodes is kind of the best for hordes period, and there's only maybe one or two better in the whole game than that.

Marketh's upgrade is neat, but harmonious is also only one fury overall. You still have spell slave, meaning you can drop a possibly boosted mortality out instead. Marketh is becoming a better version of troll Moses, since he has boosting and I'd rather have a free upkeep than 2" of control range.

I'm also happy to hear Skorne are good for the first time in a long time. I haven't touched mine this year at all, since Minions and new look Ret have been taking all my play time. Maybe I should get them out again for some variety. What's considered good now?

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

rkajdi posted:

OK, now I'm just dumb. Vessels being in non-exalted lists didn't even occur to me, and that changes the game for a lot of casters. 3pt multi-use arc nodes is kind of the best for hordes period, and there's only maybe one or two better in the whole game than that.

Marketh's upgrade is neat, but harmonious is also only one fury overall. You still have spell slave, meaning you can drop a possibly boosted mortality out instead. Marketh is becoming a better version of troll Moses, since he has boosting and I'd rather have a free upkeep than 2" of control range.

I'm also happy to hear Skorne are good for the first time in a long time. I haven't touched mine this year at all, since Minions and new look Ret have been taking all my play time. Maybe I should get them out again for some variety. What's considered good now?

Rasheth has been consistently good, and PP has all but said that turtles aren't getting nerfed so those are your two constants. With all of these changes (and there are more that we don't know about) Skorne's about to become the wild wild west again, so :iiam:

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

That means M3 didn't get reverted, which is important.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

rkajdi posted:

3pt multi-use arc nodes is kind of the best for hordes period, and there's only maybe one or two better in the whole game than that.

3pt multi-use arc nodes with telemetry for +2 to hit. They'd be incredibly broken in just about any other faction, but (with the exception of Xekaar) Skorne spellslingers are designed to not need arc nodes, so Rasheth has his dark rituals, Hexeris 2 can channel through his battlegroup, Mordikaar has Essence Blast, Morghoul 2 & 3 are intended to play forward to threaten assassination, and Zaal 2 only really slings spells as a last resort.

quote:

Zaadesh 2 and Xerxis 2 are the best beast casters (although Jalaam is playable), and Rasheth the best spell slinger and Winds of Death caster. Meowkeda2 is still a thing, and Zaal 2 and Morghoul 3 both run with infantry lists. Morghoul 2, Makeda 1, and soon Makeda 3 fit with anything. At the bottom of the pile are Morghoul 1 (who may be back thanks to Marketh in Warhost), Naaresh (who people try in Disciples), and Zaal1 (who finally gets to bring his Guardians).

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

head58 posted:

Apparently Monday or Tuesday according to one of the PP Devs (I think Hungerford) in the Skorne facebook group.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

Skorne update is live. Looks like the last version of Mak3 in CID is the one that got used.

Go zerg rush.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Happy Hokesunukuh everyone!

If I wasn't try to prep for an even right after the new year, I'd be all about digging my Skorne out this week. I just need to be sure that Arkadius/Maelok is the combo I want to use while playing a little bit (okay, more than a little bit) hammered.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

Less than an hour before I'm already seeing the hottakes about how Makeda 3 is just as bad as Madrak 2 at the start of Mk3 and how she's broken.

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

Hot Counter-take:

Madrak 2 was never really that broken. Everybody was in the MK2 infantrymachine mindset and Madrak chewed them up before they adapted.

I am actually more hype for Jalaam in Masters of War. Winds was never the right theme for him.

Jalaam
-Agonizer
-Raider
-Brute
-Bronzeback
-Shaman
Incindiarii
Arcuarii
Swordsmen
+UA [free]
Willbreaker [free]
Soulward
Painbros

I've actually run this list themeless (and with Molik instead of BB) for a while, and it worked decently. Adding in tier benefits and free models should push it over into 'good' territory.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

People still being in the infantry machine mindset was a thing too. But I'm convinced that people are gonna bitch and moan about Mak3 non stop without ever playing her and realizing how loving hard it is some feat turns to set up everything you need to do, and then follow through and do it all in the proper order and THEN not have dice go cold.

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

Did the warhost benefits change? all of my armies are listed as over free models but even if I add a few more points of beasts they don't add up right.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Alpha Phoenix posted:

Did the warhost benefits change? all of my armies are listed as over free models but even if I add a few more points of beasts they don't add up right.

Not sure, were they existing lists? Sometimes you need to remake lists after an update goes live ime

waah posted:

People still being in the infantry machine mindset was a thing too. But I'm convinced that people are gonna bitch and moan about Mak3 non stop without ever playing her and realizing how loving hard it is some feat turns to set up everything you need to do, and then follow through and do it all in the proper order and THEN not have dice go cold.

I'm pretty sure people, even in this thread, were somehow bitching about how the last week of Mak3 changes were bad

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Alpha Phoenix posted:

Marginally; Molik Karn and Aptimus Marketh now allowed (and Morghoul 1 is cheering) and you can count solos as free models.

Big changes to Masters of War. Now allows shooting warbeasts and ancestral guardians, and paingivers count to free points while solos can be used as free models. Also the Supreme Guardian is supposed to be able to bring back both the TyCom and the Praetorian Swordsman Officer (due to sloppy proof reading only grunts have a description of where you put them and only grunts give up their attacks the turn they come back).

Good things for the Aradus Soldier - but the Sentinel is still a Basilisk Drake with a non magical poison attack and five points of body armour.

Edit: The final week changes for Mak 3 were terrible enough that the CID forums basically rioted. They then had a developer chat about Mak 3 and produced two more versions of Mak 3 within the week.

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

Get Buffed, Son

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
That’s some drat fine work there!

Love the glittery sand effect. Great work!

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Ancestral guardians in masters of war makes me happy.

susan
Jan 14, 2013
Notable news: Pagani's replacement at PP has been announced as Jeff 'Will' Olsen. Also of note: Olsen has made it his unofficial life mission to kill 9 Slayers with prejudice.

Hopefully this means Cryx can go back to being an Infantry faction like God intended.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

I want Cryx jacks to be glass cannons, just like the infantry, or have a bunch of weird rear end abilities. I blame the Slayer list entirely on gaspy.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

S.J. posted:

I want Cryx jacks to be glass cannons, just like the infantry, or have a bunch of weird rear end abilities. I blame the Slayer list entirely on gaspy.

Like what would be the breaking point for their armor to where it would have normal infantry wrecking jacks? Arm16? Arm 15 seems like it would be comical.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Get rid of Carapace and swap it for Overtake.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

waah posted:

Like what would be the breaking point for their armor to where it would have normal infantry wrecking jacks? Arm16? Arm 15 seems like it would be comical.

Maybe just not giving them all unyielding, mobility and carapace at the same time. You don't see Magnus dominating games with freebooter spam, which are also armor 17 and super low point cost :v: Getting two out of three is probably enough for a competitive army.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

waah posted:

I mean, I think their armor is mostly fine as-is on the slayer chassis. 17 is perfectly fragile. But that theme, with gaspy, puts them at a minimum of 19. The theme benefit and gaspy are the problems here, not the 'jacks, imo.

To me, Carapace as a theme benefit seems more thematic for someone like Ret, who has weird rear end forcefields they can put up. Let the jack theme put a bunch of 50mm wreck markers up the table that provide cover for the jacks and can be eaten by them to regain health, or something (I'm just spitballing ideas, here), or given them all the ability to gain souls, or some weird poo poo like that. Instead it's just... armor buffs, which is about the most un-cryx theme benefit I can possibly imagine. It's strong, but feels incredibly anti-thematic for the faction.

S.J. fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Dec 20, 2018

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA
I was really surprised when they put the Carapace bonus in Black Industries, since it was so counter the theme of Cryx. That being said, back then it was pretty clear that Cryx jacks needed SOMETHING. Being so trivial to remove at range just made them an impossible sell compared to the other things Cryx could put on the table. I'd personally be happy to see them go back and figure out a more thematic change that still addressed that problem but I don't know if the payoff would be worth the effort.

As for right now, I think the issue is more Gaspy3 than Carapace. Which is sad to say, since I've always thought he was cool. But he's literally the only Black Industries caster that anyone is bringing to anything, from what I've seen and heard. He just makes the list so simple to play and so powerful. I think if you reduce his ability to run that list specifically, you go a long ways towards killing 9 Slayers in general. At least as one of the real power lists out there. That probably means FM: Unyielding has to go, since that being gone gives you a clear counter play: bring stuff that can trade into Arm 17 Slayers in melee. Which basically every faction can do pretty easily.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Just came back from my first tournament in forever. Ended up ranking 4th out of 7 with 1-2, which I'm kind of happy about, especially considering how my three opponents were way above my skill level. Strakhov1 is pretty funny, even though I have yet to use Overrun well.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Iceclaw posted:

Just came back from my first tournament in forever. Ended up ranking 4th out of 7 with 1-2, which I'm kind of happy about, especially considering how my three opponents were way above my skill level. Strakhov1 is pretty funny, even though I have yet to use Overrun well.

Hell yeah! Glad you had a good time. What were you running? I'm always interested in seeing Strakhov lists.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
It was a 35pts event, so I ran this. Overall, it performed decently, though I had trouble getting the demolition corps to survive. Though when they did, they ripped Azrael (under Unyelding and Thagrosh1's aura) apart. Fun.
War Room Army

Khador - Armored Fist

Theme: Armored Corps
1 / 1 Free Cards 35 / 35 Army

Kommander Oleg Strakhov - WJ: +28
- Spriggan - PC: 17 (Battlegroup Points Used: 17)
- Juggernaut - PC: 13 (Battlegroup Points Used: 11)

Man-O-War Kovnik - PC: 4

Kommandant Atanas Arconovich & Standard - Arconovich & Standard Bearer: 7
Man-O-War Shocktroopers - Leader & 2 Grunts: 10
- Man-O-War Shocktrooper Officer - PC: 4
Man-O-War Demolition Corps - Leader & 2 Grunts: 8
- Sergeant Dragos Dragadovich - PC: 0

THEME: Armored Corps
---

GENERATED : 12/21/2018 09:23:13
BUILD ID : 2069.18-10-06

E:
Speaking of, I'm thinking of trying this. You guys think it has legs?
War Room Army

Khador - St2 AK

Theme: Armored Corps
3 / 3 Free Cards 75 / 75 Army

Assault Kommander Strakhov & Kommandos - WJ: +22
- Assault Kommander Strakhov & Kommandos (Cont.)
- Juggernaut - PC: 13 (Battlegroup Points Used: 13)
- Berserker - PC: 8 (Battlegroup Points Used: 8)

Man-O-War Kovnik - PC: 0
Man-O-War Suppression Tanker - PC: 0
Greylord Forge Seer - PC: 4
- Destroyer - PC: 14

Kommandant Atanas Arconovich & Standard - Arconovich & Standard Bearer: 7
Man-O-War Bombardiers - Leader & 4 Grunts: 16
Man-O-War Demolition Corps - Leader & 4 Grunts: 14
- Sergeant Dragos Dragadovich - PC: 0
Man-O-War Shocktroopers - Leader & 4 Grunts: 16
- Man-O-War Shocktrooper Officer - PC: 4

THEME: Armored Corps
---

GENERATED : 12/21/2018 10:18:56
BUILD ID : 2069.18-10-06

Iceclaw fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Dec 21, 2018

S.J.
May 19, 2008

I'm not really feeling the Forge Seer with the destroyer in that list, I feel like you really want the UA for the bombardiers if you're going to take them, but just get more infantry in general. Also: I feel like you want a minimum of two suppression tankers in that theme unless you're gunning for the chariots. Maybe something like this?

https://conflictchamber.com/#c3201b_-0ThD7pkWl5l3l386l27Ml0l7l17Qgd

Khador Army - 74 / 75 points
[Theme] Armored Corps

[Strakhov 2] Assault Kommander Strakhov [+22]
- Destroyer [14]
- Juggernaut [13]
Man-O-War Kovnik [4]
Man-O-War Suppression Tanker [0(6)]
Man-O-War Suppression Tanker [0(6)]
Battle Mechaniks (min) [3]
Kommandant Atanas Arconovich & Standard [7]
Man-O-War Bombardiers (max) [16]
- Man-O-War Bombardier Officer [5]
Man-O-War Demolition Corps (max) [14]
- Sergeant Dragos Dragadovich [0(6)]
Man-O-War Shocktroopers (max) [16]
- Man-O-War Shocktrooper Officer [4]

If you want, you can use clouds from Kodiaks to screen for your demo corps instead.

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"
Is there a good 'lite' rules reference out there? There are the Prime/Primal PDFs, but a boring and text only ebook would be ideal.

Trying to convince locals to get back into the game, it'd be easier if I can "just happen" to already have the rules on my e-reader.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Serenade posted:

Is there a good 'lite' rules reference out there? There are the Prime/Primal PDFs, but a boring and text only ebook would be ideal.

Trying to convince locals to get back into the game, it'd be easier if I can "just happen" to already have the rules on my e-reader.

The free PDFs are the light version. All the background stuff has been stripped out, so I'm not sure what else you could dump that's not actual content.

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"

rkajdi posted:

The free PDFs are the light version. All the background stuff has been stripped out, so I'm not sure what else you could dump that's not actual content.

Mostly gratuitous pictures or a different file format. Just text can be reformatted by the device to fit the screen and zoom.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Also: Merry Christmas you fukken goons. I got some Northkin Raiders and I'm pretty happy about it.

Razor Jacksuit
Mar 31, 2007

VEES RULE #1

Devourer's Host theme box $75 at Miniaturemarket today. I have no idea if any of it is any good but I like Tharn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
I bought the Elsa inspired Lanyssa Ryssyl from mini-crate because I thought it was an awesome mini. Still waiting on the mini.

The credit card bill, however, has now arrived. Privateer Press has Canadian and American subscriptions. Being a Canadian, I went with the Canadian subscription. I assumed based on the modest premium over the US price that it was in CAD. That was incorrect. They have a Canadian subscription, in USD. And it costs more than the European subscription.

Privateer Press is headquartered in Bellvue Washington, an hour and a half from the Canadian border. :psyduck:

This isn't an isolated thing for them. Every Canadian store I used is having huge supply issues with them. That mysterybox deal was a hilarious rip off for Canadians because they have no idea how to ship to Canada.