Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Smirking_Serpent posted:

My (29m) brother (34m) now wants to be a rapper and is asking my mom for thousands of dollars.

My brother doesn’t like to work. He’s the laziest guy I know. He’s a licenced professional but chooses not to work in his field. He has been licenced for over 8 years. He practiced for a bit, then stopped because he said it was depressing due to the nature of the job (which let me tell you, it is not). Then he did some odd delivery jobs for a couple years. And then just nothing.

He’s been kicked out of here a few times over the course of 6-7 years because he also used to break poo poo around the house and create crazy scenes. He’s toxic. Every single time he does this, he leaves for a few months and comes back like nothing loving happened.

Time time around when he came back a few months ago he was more relaxed. He seemed like he had actually started making strides towards becoming a functioning part of society. He was talking about stocks, building on his licence and starting his own thing, hiring people under him, yada yada. As soon as he paid for his licence renewal, something in his brain snapped and he just decided he wants to become a loving rapper. He has been getting 0 to minimal sleep, is in the garage or downstairs washroom blasting music dancing singing and rapping for hours upon hours, and now wants to borrow thousands of dollars $$$$ to get “iced” out. Apparently he’s flying (bought with like air miles or something) to another city to meet somebody for a recording deal.....I don’t know.

Oh and year to date he’s already coaxed my dad out of at least 8K. Also with lies about “I’m gonna do this and that, get a new car, renew my licence”.

I told my mom to not give him a dime and if she does she’s loving just as stupid as he is. Pretty sure she’s gonna give him money. Not sure what to do here, or what’s been going on with this guy. He needs help, and I don’t know where to start, or if there’s even anything I can do about it at all.

Tl;dr brother is constantly finding new ways to “get rich quick”. And when it doesn’t work out he moves on to something else. And he lives at the expense of others.

They should set him up with that guy a few pages back who makes music videos for girls who sing about salads or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

quote:

quote:
Q. Are we the smelly family?: My son has a buddy who lives across the street. My neighbors’ house has a distinctive, clean laundry smell about it. The interior of their house smells like it, as do all of the human people in their family! After my son spends some time there, he also comes home smelling like their home and family. Which is fine! It’s not a bad smell! But it’s got me wondering what OUR home smells like and what THEIR children go home smelling like after hanging out at our house. I’m sure it’s dog. Wet dog, stinky dog, hairy dog, all dog. But I don’t know. Am I panicking for no reason? I just don’t understand how their house smells so good. They have a dog too! Is there some grown-up, good-smelling house secret I don’t have? I’m a terrible adult.

A: My official ruling is this: If you are sufficiently panicked about what your home smells like that you write to an advice columnist, you (this “you” extends to the other members of your family as well) should clean your house. Give your dog the occasional bath if it smells; dry your dog off with a towel if it’s wet. The secret to a good-smelling house is to clean it semi-regularly; there are no special house-smelling secrets that the rest of the world is keeping from you.

My aunt had a huge, smelly, slobbering Basset Hound. Every inch of her carpet and furniture was covered in dog hair and dog slobber. Whenever I came home from there, I threw all my clothes in the wash and took a shower.

Yes, you are the smelly family.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

empty sea posted:

I once had to endure a car ride with a co-worker who went on a rant against vaccines and GMOs. It was excruciating, I can't imagine an entire relationship waiting for the other crazy shoe to drop.

I once shut a co-worker's rant about GMOs down by asking her what a GMO was.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

Xun posted:

It just makes saying or doing seditious acts are illegal. It's anti discrimination thing only applies to racism/various classes (plus suppressing discussion of discrimination in Singapore too if some expat websites are to be believed), govt gave 100k to a conversion therapy group in 2006 and still promotes that so yeah I guess the LGBTQ are just inherently a danger to social harmony lmao.

So they have anti discrimination laws but they still promote gay conversion therapy? :psyduck:

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Miserable Maid posted:

Sorry! Didn't see this

You're right, that was a really stupid word to use, I didn't mean to imply any ill will. More like... Nudging opinion a certain way more then usual? Don't know what to call it
In sales they call it "the hard sell"

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Mad because my lazy rear end boyfriend nearly got me killed? posted:

Hi ladies and gents. Woo where do I start here. I’m 22 and have been with my 31 year old husband (well, fiancé) for 3 years now. When we first got together there were clear issues with his maturity levels. He was pretty childish and still living at home. As time went on this kinda dropped though and he began acting like a normal adult. What I’m saying here only really scratches the surface of his previous behaviour but I don’t want to go too far into it.

5 days ago I suddenly and without explanation for very, very unwell. I was running a crazy high fever and vomiting persistently. I’m not a ‘sweaty’ person at all, I barely sweat - but I literally had beads of sweat rolling down my face. I was going from hot to cold and hallucinating. For example I thought that someone had stolen our car and kept thinking that my dead grandma had come to visit us. It was pretty crazy actually. This illness struck in the middle of the night and my boyfriend did next to nothing to help. At the time I couldn’t yell at him as I was too sick to fully understand what was going on but I know for a fact that he kept simply patting me and telling me to ‘relax’ In my head I knew that I needed to go to the hospital. Somewhere between the delusions I KNEW that I needed medical attention. I was too sick to ask for help so I just laid sobbing for most of the night and morning. Plus, let’s face it, it was pretty much common sense that I needed to go to a hospital when I 100% couldn’t keep fluids down and was imagining my dead grandma. My boyfriend knew I was hallucinating. He even briefly asked me if I was before rolling over and falling back to sleep.

That morning my best friend came over as we were meant to be exchanging gifts. I forgot to cancel so had to still see her. She spent 5 minutes with me before taking me straight to a hospital. At that stage I had pretty much turned grey and was shivering horrendously. Verdict was that I had a burst appendix. I’m home today for the first time after surgery.

I’m so angry that my boyfriend just left me to suffer that night when I took unwell. I very nearly died. I would’ve died if my best friend hadn’t come over. I was too weak to barely even speak or walk.

What excuse does he have for this behaviour? I have asked him why he didn’t get me help and he claimed he didn’t know I was ‘that bad’ - he definitely did know. I was vomiting next to him constantly for 5 hours. He kept patting my back and rolling over to go to sleep. Even when my best friend came over, it was me that dragged myself to the front door to let her inside. He was in bed the entire time this situation was unfolding. He didn’t even know I had been taken into hospital because he was freaking ASLEEP.

Am I in the wrong for feeling as bad and let down?

TL;Dr - I was super sick and my boyfriend was too lazy to seek help. I nearly died.
Gee he got her water what is she complaining about?

Enjoy the solid age gap and she already knows he's a lazy rear end garbage person but is still with him. Also OP is already deleted from reddit. Guessing from all the deleted 'man baby' comments it was a mod that did it.

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Medical Industrial Complex

Biscuit Hider

LadyPictureShow posted:

Big nipples big life

Correction;

Big nips big life

~bless~

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

MightyJoe36 posted:

So they have anti discrimination laws but they still promote gay conversion therapy? :psyduck:

Anti discrimination laws doesn't mean it protects all minorities/classes, only the ones the government recognizes. And if they value ~social harmony~ so much and see LGBTQ as being abnormal and disrupting the harmony, well :shrug: time to try to fix those troublemakers!

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

MightyJoe36 posted:

I have more female friends than male friends. Guess I'm gay. So what?

That's enough enough back talking young man go to your living room.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Get therapy if you can only get hard to eraser nipples.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Darkhold posted:

Gee he got her water what is she complaining about?

Enjoy the solid age gap and she already knows he's a lazy rear end garbage person but is still with him. Also OP is already deleted from reddit. Guessing from all the deleted 'man baby' comments it was a mod that did it.

From boyfriend to husband to fiance back to boyfriend in three paragraphs

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Switchback posted:

Dear Amy: When I was 16, our family had a foreign student come live with us on a summer exchange program. He was also 16.

Her mom reminds me of the people 90 day fiancé and a few people I know in person who are getting hitched to someone overseas, even though the ones on the show and in person are adults it always feels like one person is manipulating the other

CountryMatters
Apr 8, 2009

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

MightyJoe36 posted:

I have more female friends than male friends. Guess I'm gay. So what?

My parents sent me to all boys Catholic school and I am fairly confident that hanging out with nothing but other boys during your formative years does not make you less gay. Definitely the opposite, in fact

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
the only ethical abortions are the abortions had by parents of people who think its a good idea to talk about abortion in this thread !!

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

the only ethical abortions are the abortions had by parents of people who think its a good idea to talk about abortion in this thread !!

Finally someone had the balls to say it

Barudak
May 7, 2007

CountryMatters posted:

My parents sent me to all boys Catholic school and I am fairly confident that hanging out with nothing but other boys during your formative years does not make you less gay. Definitely the opposite, in fact

You left out the part where it stunts your social skills tremendously to go along with the "republican party friday night mixer" vibe.

Sadly the opposite is apparently true for girls where they benefit tremendously from single gender educatio

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

Xun posted:

Anti discrimination laws doesn't mean it protects all minorities/classes, only the ones the government recognizes. And if they value ~social harmony~ so much and see LGBTQ as being abnormal and disrupting the harmony, well :shrug: time to try to fix those troublemakers!

So I guess I add them to the list of countries I'm not visiting.

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I am 99% sure that Tourette syndrome doesn't just make you use inappropriate synonyms while talking, does it? And even if it does, does he think the only objectionable thing he did that night was use the word tits? Tourettes isn't going to make you be a loud crass rear end in a top hat about unattractive women in public while talking with your friends who then, when confronted, doubles down by calling her unattractive and asking to see her tits. An what did he do and say in the version his friends are telling that makes him look even worse?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Probably pulled her shirt up himself

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Araenna posted:

I am 99% sure that Tourette syndrome doesn't just make you use inappropriate synonyms while talking, does it? And even if it does, does he think the only objectionable thing he did that night was use the word tits? Tourettes isn't going to make you be a loud crass rear end in a top hat about unattractive women in public while talking with your friends who then, when confronted, doubles down by calling her unattractive and asking to see her tits. An what did he do and say in the version his friends are telling that makes him look even worse?

Tourette's making you swear is a thing. Quick googling says it's a symptom 10% of those who have tourette's suffer from. Obviously, you're far more likely to notice those people than someone who compulsively shrugs.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Rubellavator posted:

Tourette's making you swear is a thing. Quick googling says it's a symptom 10% of those who have tourette's suffer from. Obviously, you're far more likely to notice those people than someone who compulsively shrugs.

I do not have tourettes myself but I used to have a friend who did and I definitely got the impression both from him and from medical literature that you swear impulsively as a tic, at random times just like the compulsive shrugging you mention, which is a completely different thing than just using swearing or inappropriate synonyms in a sentence

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

i saw a documentary about someone with tourettes and their tic was shouting racial abuse at people. like they'd see a black person and turn into that republican off who is america and start screaming the n word at them

didn't believe them to be honest, too convenient

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Whorelord posted:

i saw a documentary about someone with tourettes and their tic was shouting racial abuse at people. like they'd see a black person and turn into that republican off who is america and start screaming the n word at them

didn't believe them to be honest, too convenient

This is literally a Cartman subplot from South Park

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

loquacius posted:

No, he touched weiners with his cousin.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Batterypowered7 posted:

No, he touched weiners with his cousin.

That was also a post in this thread, wasn't it?

r/relationships: This was already a Cartman subplot in South Park

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

loquacius posted:

i found it on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zp1GH7SgVPE&t=113s

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Season 11 episode 8

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Le_Petit_Tourette

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, the swears aren't randomly in a conversation, it's an uncontrollable tic. You don't just accidentally say tits instead of breasts in normal conversation.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Penguissimo posted:

From boyfriend to husband to fiance back to boyfriend in three paragraphs

I know it's a knock against the OP, but dunno what to make of it.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

InediblePenguin posted:

I do not have tourettes myself but I used to have a friend who did and I definitely got the impression both from him and from medical literature that you swear impulsively as a tic, at random times just like the compulsive shrugging you mention, which is a completely different thing than just using swearing or inappropriate synonyms in a sentence

This is correct. There is the caveat that certain sights/sounds/experiences might trigger a tic, but the tic word would just be spoken/shouted alone. It would never be part of a constructed sentence.

I could actually believe that someone with a strong case of Tourette's who already had a tic that involved shouting the n-word might be triggered to do so by seeing a black person. It sounds ridiculous to those who don't know tics work, but it's plausible. What would not be plausible would be any kind of rhetoric accompanying it.

I don't believe the "big tits" asshat at all, especially since he specifically mentions he chose to make that lie. I can believe the n-word shouter, provided that was all he was shouting, with no other description or racist rhetoric.

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Dec 14, 2018

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Chomp8645 posted:

This is correct. There is the caveat that certain sights/sounds/experiences might trigger a tic, but the tic word would just be spoken/shouted alone. It would never be part of a constructed sentence.

A lot of times the verbal tick is just a noise and not a word or anything. Sometimes accompanied by a physical tick. I feel sorry for those people because you know a lot of people who are not familiar with actual tourette's just assume they are retarded like they do with people who have CP.

therobit fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Dec 14, 2018

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

therobit posted:

A lot of times ther verbal tick is just a boar and not a word or anything. Sometimes accompanied by a physical tick. I feel sorry for those people because you know a lot of people who are not familiar with actual tourette's just assume they are retarded like they do with people who have CP.

Believe me, I know. I have Tourette's. I was diagnosed by a neurologist as a kid. I don't have any verbal tics in the way of words, but I did have one or two with my throat that made weird sounds (thankfully those stopped manifesting much as an adult). Growing up as the kid who made weird movements and sounds he couldn't control well but Totally Wasn't Retarded was a lot of fun.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

There’s a woman on Twitch who is making crazy money as the girl with Tourette’s. She randomly whistles a lot and does insert random curses into normal sentences.

Her biggest trigger is the word “banana” and if you type it in her chat you get permanently banned.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Smirking_Serpent posted:

There’s a woman on Twitch who is making crazy money as the girl with Tourette’s. She randomly whistles a lot and does insert random curses into normal sentences.

Her biggest trigger is the word “banana” and if you type it in her chat you get permanently banned.

If she's integrating supposed tic words into sentences then she's playing it up intentionally. Not to say that the tic is fake, but she's probably intentionally constructing sentences with her tic in mind just to be able to say them. I'd guess that's exactly what I'd expect out of a streamer anyway.

In 2018 even our neurological disorders can be monetized lol what a world.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Barudak posted:

You left out the part where it stunts your social skills tremendously to go along with the "republican party friday night mixer" vibe.

Sadly the opposite is apparently true for girls where they benefit tremendously from single gender educatio

Studies have actually shown there’s no benefit to either boys or girls from single-gender schooling. The myth that it helps one or the other is just assumed by a lot of people (and perpetuated by some women’s schools that need to justify their existence).

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Anyone that thinks teenaged and middle-school-aged girls exclusively engage in healthy pro-social mutually-enjoyable activity with each other doesn't remember middle or high school very well

Barudak
May 7, 2007

LanceHunter posted:

Studies have actually shown there’s no benefit to either boys or girls from single-gender schooling. The myth that it helps one or the other is just assumed by a lot of people (and perpetuated by some women’s schools that need to justify their existence).

Great to hear because fuuuuuuuuck that teaching system.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

LanceHunter posted:

This is also true for workplaces

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

Our next door neighbor where we used to live had a son with Tourettes. He would just grunt and make these random shrugging motions. Never shouted curses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

Fallen Rib
My (24F) family's Christmas cards and the death of my grandma (88F)

quote:

My mom's mother has lived with us for the past 19 years. We had some family photos taken this summer and got some textless Christmas cards of them. My grandma passed away last week and we're not sure what to do. Our cards go mostly to family and I don't think most of them know that anything has happened. Do we get new ones reprinted? Or how do we gracefully announce her death without making the cards feel like some funeral save-the-dates?

tl;dr a death in the family complicates this year's christmas cards