Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

ijyt posted:

That’s boring and the community knee jerks too hard.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not against having items like the infinity blade in the game. I enjoy quirky poo poo like that. I'm just off put with how Epic handled the Winter Royale NA finals is all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!
The sword is just lame for standard game modes (especially solo because there's no easy way to counter it once there's < 5 people left). Good on Epic for trying something new but its not entirely balanced, the cooldown needs to be increased for sure. Balloons are a good idea but good luck if you don't have explosives. I played in a game today where I cheesed a plane all the way till the end and it was me vs. a guy with the infinity blade and maxed hp. The 1v1 was over before it even started.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Come endgame, essentially anything most people will be carrying will decimate you faster than the time it takes to make 3 swings of that sword, which is the minimum it will take to kill someone at full health and shield. Its not as out of balance as people say.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Triggs posted:

The sword is just lame for standard game modes (especially solo because there's no easy way to counter it once there's < 5 people left). Good on Epic for trying something new but its not entirely balanced, the cooldown needs to be increased for sure. Balloons are a good idea but good luck if you don't have explosives. I played in a game today where I cheesed a plane all the way till the end and it was me vs. a guy with the infinity blade and maxed hp. The 1v1 was over before it even started.

Yeah I haven't played this game in months but I picked it up yesterday and was surprised at how easy it was to get into the single digit placements by just getting a plane and flying around the circle -- seems like nobody wants to give their position away by opening fire on you, which is fair enough-- good luck winning when you're finally forced to land though.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Turns out you only get a season 6 recap if you signed up for the newsletter. Which apparently I didn't. Signed up now but who knows if I'll get one. RIP.

What's the recap and where do I sign up for the newsletter? :sigh:

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I was flying the plane around the edge of the island in squads the other day, going for top 12 challenge. Much the opposite of Icarus, I flew too close to the water and died. It also never dawned on me that there are two islands off to themselves to the southwest, there are even chests on at least one. But no way the circle would ever agree with you there. Might be a good initial landing though with plenty of trees to build yourself back out of it.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Father Wendigo posted:

What's the recap and where do I sign up for the newsletter? :sigh:
They send you a bunch of exciting stats for how you did in the last season, kills, headshots, a small snippet of your highlights.

Or, if you're me, they tell you that you graffitoed 512 times.

If they sprinkle a bunch of "mythic" weapons around the map I'd like that, make a couple mobile. Honestly the only things I really want for this game is a way to communicate with other players, try to set up a temporary alliance. Tag someone and if they agree you're a team, put alliances on a timer, your entire strategy changes mid game and people with the sword are less safe.

Also I'm totally going to start a Battle Royale game with my new company, "Mythic", and the highest tier weapons will be "epic".

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

And the Infinity Blade is vaulted.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
They've done it again. RIP yet another neat in-game item that people were too busy crying about rather than just using the built-in counters to it.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I'm glad it's gone. At the very least if it comes back it needs to fall from the sky at some point during the match (not the start) in a random location to make things more interesting than 90% of the playerbase dying immediately swarming it. That was my biggest issue honestly.

trigger9631
Nov 18, 2004

I love my ducks.
Got my first S7 win in a 1v1 against the person with the sword, RIP. I hope it comes back soon, I liked it but it was unbalanced.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Nullsmack posted:

They've done it again. RIP yet another neat in-game item that people were too busy crying about rather than just using the built-in counters to it.

It's cool but I think best of both worlds would be throwing it in an LTM. A 50v50 with each team getting a sword would be cool

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

i look forward to it's return in a week with a different mythic item showing up to counter it as well

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Sword overpowered in gun game? Maybe it is the players who are bad.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
And now we've learned that if you don't like a new feature, just whine until it gets removed rather than come up with new strategies or re-evaluate your level of obsession with a game. Cool.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Or maybe there was a legitimate issue with how the sword was implemented.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Or maybe there was a legitimate issue with how the sword was implemented.

Nah, that is clearly impossible and no legitimate grievances can be had with any new addition to the game.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
Happens every time unless the new addition is substantially similar to something that already exists, or it's already pretty weak.
Imagine if rockets didn't exist up until this point and then were suddenly added? Holy cow.
Planes are next on the hit list.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Planes seem safe to me. Theres plenty of them across the map so the entire match doesnt revolve around landing at the airstrip to nab one, and they become exceedingly risky to use as the circle shrinks.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Nullsmack posted:

Happens every time unless the new addition is substantially similar to something that already exists, or it's already pretty weak.
Imagine if rockets didn't exist up until this point and then were suddenly added? Holy cow.

Last time sword-level complaints were when Fortnitemares happened. It’s a change that completely breaks the game flow even worse than redeploy does, unlike quad launchers or explosive buffs or almost anything else. The closest incident prior to Fortnitemares, in terms of pushback magnitude, was removal of double pump, which did pass through because it ultimately just made the game work as intended and had a vocal minority being mad that they have to adapt, rather Epic just yoloing a tribute to their deceased mobile game.

poo poo like SMG meta or clinger meta people always complain about, but that’s when there are reasonably sized sides of the argument. This thread is literally the only place I’ve seen people defend the sword.

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

codo27 posted:

I was flying the plane around the edge of the island in squads the other day, going for top 12 challenge. Much the opposite of Icarus, I flew too close to the water and died. It also never dawned on me that there are two islands off to themselves to the southwest, there are even chests on at least one. But no way the circle would ever agree with you there. Might be a good initial landing though with plenty of trees to build yourself back out of it.

One of these islands, the eastern of the two I think, has a shack with a 1x1 basement that contains a rift. It may be a stable rift, it makes the modified portal explosion sound that the one in Wailing makes.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Planes seem safe to me. Theres plenty of them across the map so the entire match doesnt revolve around landing at the airstrip to nab one, and they become exceedingly risky to use as the circle shrinks.

Plus they are crazy fun to shoot down. Never vault planes.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

goferchan posted:

It's cool but I think best of both worlds would be throwing it in an LTM. A 50v50 with each team getting a sword would be cool

I had fun following the sword carrier around in Team Battle, hoovering up the drops they'd create but couldn't use and making sure they didn't get piled on. Maybe expand that sort of swarm concept by making it so that when you're near the sword carrier you get passive shield regen too.

Nullsmack posted:

Planes already got hit. You take damage if your plane gets blown up. Probably still not totally balanced, tbh, but much better now.

And before you inevitably ask: I think it would be cool if there was more of a game of chicken to it where the 1.5 second bail out timer mattered more because there was a bigger risk to staying in the plane versus jumping out if it's starts going down. Also it would be neat if vehicles had "headshot" locations - vehicles get slightly stronger vs. bullet spam but landing a sick snipe on the engine with a .50 cal gets the job done.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Dec 15, 2018

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I really love the new (new to me at least) heavy ARs. It feels like the perfect combo of high damage per shot and being fast enough to compensate for my lovely aim. The gold thermal scoped ar is awesome as well, managed to rack up like 6 elims in rumble hiding in a tree with a bush on

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

The Korean showmatches that were on just now in Seoul were way more entertaining than any NA tournament so far imo. A lot of the up-and-coming Korean players are super loving aggro and it's awesome. Hopefully the game takes off there.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Planes are super fun do not take them from me.

Hi. Im Leeroy
Oct 8, 2008

Parasol Prophet posted:

And now we've learned that if you don't like a new feature, just whine until it gets removed rather than come up with new strategies or re-evaluate your level of obsession with a game. Cool.

sogekihei
Jul 15, 2001
Agreed on all accounts to keep planes. Whenever me and my buds decide to use one we know there’s a 50/50 chance poo poo goes down hill. Maybe tweak the way you can bail out of the plane, or make it so you gotta bail before it blows up or you can’t open your glider. Shooting them down is cool but not much risk in riding it out until it blows.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I'm not crazy about the planes but I was sure to take storm damage last night and instead found a plane and managed to take off only taking 2 damage. So thats enough for me to want to keep them. They aren't OP I dont believe.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Yeah, planes are fine. Maybe just reduce their spawn rate a bit, but otherwise I think they're a good addition to the game.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

teagone posted:

Yeah, planes are fine. Maybe just reduce their spawn rate a bit, but otherwise I think they're a good addition to the game.

I think that will sort itself naturally out with seasonal map progression and the way Epic usually introduces new things - they like to kick off with overabundance to get feedback. All the guns, when introduced, similarly drop everywhere (except new pumps, though that might be my poo poo luck).

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Turrets are absolutely busted, putting a turret inside a building and shooting out the wall in the enemy's direction to catch them by surprise has won every single fight I've pulled it off in.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
Looks like snowboards/hoverboards are coming tomorrow.
https://twitter.com/FortniteGame/status/1074716342757011457
https://twitter.com/FortniteGame/status/1074744539716427778

trigger9631
Nov 18, 2004

I love my ducks.
And now they delayed them! Still releasing 7.10 tomorrow though.

https://twitter.com/FortniteGame/status/1074775976142430208

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

trigger9631 posted:

And now they delayed them! Still releasing 7.10 tomorrow though.

https://www.reddit.com/r/FortNiteBR/comments/a74d6z/patch_v710_delayed/ posted:

Due to last minute issues discovered within the build, we’ve had to delay the timing for the release of the v7.10 update.

We’ll provide more details on an exact time once we have more information.

trigger9631
Nov 18, 2004

I love my ducks.
Welp. Hopefully Wednesday then.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
Are there enough snowy hills for it to be even a thing? I'm picturing one guy at the bottom of that one hill just picking off people as they come down.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

InsertPotPun posted:

Are there enough snowy hills for it to be even a thing? I'm picturing one guy at the bottom of that one hill just picking off people as they come down.

I think there's a datamined inventory icon for it out there and it looks like more of a hoverboard than a snowboard -- I doubt it'll be restricted to snowy terrain

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Can you combine it with the grapple and other vehicles and just turn the game into UT3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!
Enjoy a last day or two of using planes as battering rams.

From the reddit thread,

quote:

Hey folks,

I wanted to drop in and give a sneak peek at the quality of life / balance changes coming in v7.10 for the Stormwing.
  • Stormwings now take 50% more damage from hitting objects.
    Boosting now reduces the damage taken from impacts by 50%, previously boosting prevented all impact damage.
  • Damage done to players that are in a Stormwing when it’s shot down has been increased from 25 to 50
    Damage is dealt directly to health.
  • Stormwings will now take more damage from destroying structures by running through them.
  • Fixed some performance issues with the Stormwing which could lead to reduced frame rate and movement corrections.
Lots more bug fixes and quality of life changes coming in v7.10!