Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Why play mobile games when you can shitpost

Mobile games are a shadow of playing a normal game but shitposting is the real deal...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

The REAL Goobusters posted:

My experience always ended up being something like: get into a huge team fight, everyone pops their skills, and then no one dies and just goes back and heals.

FWIW, my funnest game was that one Diablo map with the two titans battling in the center. All ten people got into a huge teamfight and nine players died but our team won the objective, leaving a lone and crippled Kharazim on the enemy team to ineffectively try to stop our titan from crushing the remains of his base.

It had all the joy of a self-sacrificing megacreeps play, without me having to be good enough to pull one of those off.

ToastyPotato posted:

Then they kept spending money on fluff material like comics and poo poo as well.

Remember this? People praise Riot for the production of their music videos and whatnot so I get where the impulse comes from, but Blizzard was doing stuff that looked expensive and could have gotten commotion for a more popular game, but because they were making expensive trailers for a lackluster game all they did was drain the budget it needed to improve upon itself.

BattleHamster posted:

Part of the problem with HotS is I don't think Blizzard really knew who they were targeting. They were often torn between a large contingent of players who wanted something less complex and those who thought the skill-cap was too low.

To me the real problem was that the game was forced into existence by executive embarrassment at letting DotA slip through their fingers. Before it was Heroes of the Storm, even before it was Blizzard Allstars, it was "Blizzard DOTA" so the attorneys could claim ownership of Valve's trademark.

Blizzard does pretty good job most of the time because it makes games that they want to make. This is not a game anyone wanted to make, this is a game that ownership wanted, and Blizzard put together a group of people to try to do the best they could with a concept that wasn't theirs. Obviously the company didn't have prior experience with FPS shooters either prior to Overwatch, but that was a team that wanted to make that game. Nobody really wanted to make one of these kinds of games, but somebody had to because Icefrog got away. So grab a bunch of people who would have been working on Starcraft content and had no prior MOBA experience, make them play 100 hours of League, and then have them brainstorm ideas to make the game more widely playable, then execute.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

alright dropping out of college for professional hots is very L O L

Craptacular! posted:

Breez dropped out of school at like 16 for professional hots. Fortunately he's Swedish so he won't be immediately crushed by capitalism.

holy poo poo lmao. (drat that interviewer is hawt. more of that in esports instead of nerds that dress like morons.)

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Dec 14, 2018

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Groovelord Neato posted:

alright dropping out of college for professional hots is very L O L

Breez dropped out of school at like 16 for professional hots. Fortunately he's Swedish so he won't be immediately crushed by capitalism.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...
It must be awful having the rug pulled out from under you in regards to your livelihood or dreams, yes. Personally though, I find the concept of e-sports and professional gaming is very much harder to grasp than even physical sports, so it's difficult to feel an outpouring of emotion over this. I'm assuming there are so many variables when you attempt to make a living playing a game... you rely on other players, people wanting to actually watch you, and of course the fact that your entire livelihood is based on a product owned by a company that is not going to be placing you very high on the priority list. Skills that you can carry on to other work are probably negligible, aside from knowledge of maintaining a presence on the internet, and name recognition limited to that same line of work.

So while I sympathize with those who got this bad news right before the holidays, it doesn't feel particularly surprising or tragic.

Before I'm accused of being a fanboy, if I have any bias it's certainly less defending Blizzard (my Blizzard is dead :( ), and more that I'm out in the rain and snow digging holes and hauling soil and rocks for work, so perhaps that unfairly tweaks my perception of people who play internet games for a living.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Ha I forgot about the Mechastorm trailer. That is a pretty good example of mismanagement right there. Traditional animation is notoriously expensive, probably more so now than ever, and they paid for that to sell 3 skins. 3 skins. Not 10, not 5 or 6. 3.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Most people that are successful at esports only use their fame and personality to get streamer income. Esports themselves aren’t usually what makes them rich and famous.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Craptacular! posted:

FWIW, my funnest game was that one Diablo map with the two titans battling in the center. All ten people got into a huge teamfight and nine players died but our team won the objective, leaving a lone and crippled Kharazim on the enemy team to ineffectively try to stop our titan from crushing the remains of his base.

It had all the joy of a self-sacrificing megacreeps play, without me having to be good enough to pull one of those off.

Remember this? People praise Riot for the production of their music videos and whatnot so I get where the impulse comes from, but Blizzard was doing stuff that looked expensive and could have gotten commotion for a more popular game, but because they were making expensive trailers for a lackluster game all they did was drain the budget it needed to improve upon itself.

To me the real problem was that the game was forced into existence by executive embarrassment at letting DotA slip through their fingers. Before it was Heroes of the Storm, even before it was Blizzard Allstars, it was "Blizzard DOTA" so the attorneys could claim ownership of Valve's trademark.

Blizzard does pretty good job most of the time because it makes games that they want to make. This is not a game anyone wanted to make, this is a game that ownership wanted, and Blizzard put together a group of people to try to do the best they could with a concept that wasn't theirs. Obviously the company didn't have prior experience with FPS shooters either prior to Overwatch, but that was a team that wanted to make that game. Nobody really wanted to make one of these kinds of games, but somebody had to because Icefrog got away. So grab a bunch of people who would have been working on Starcraft content and had no prior MOBA experience, make them play 100 hours of League, and then have them brainstorm ideas to make the game more widely playable, then execute.

Its hard for me to believe anything you say ever since you revealed you were literally 1k MMR in dota

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...

Its hard for me to believe anything you say ever since you revealed you were literally 1k MMR in dota

Haha that dude said people go as far as following him into other threads to hound him over DoTA stuff, and that prophecy has been fulfilled. I'm really bad at all games and most things but that doesn't stop me... let the people shitpost! :justpost:

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

lol

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I don't buy that Blizzard made hots out of embarrassment. Moba was just a context for using fun abilities that felt good with funny characters like Nova. Endless clowny back and forth Garden of Terror and Haunted Mines matches were the whole point of the game.

Eventually it got up its own rear end with esports and the competitive flaws of the game like level 10 advantage became more and more obvious the less clowny the maps became. That's my interpretation anyways.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Heroes of the Storm was never a world beater and that was largely because of inertia; all the competitive stuff you all are talking about is largely tinkering around the edges, mostly it’s just that most of the people who want to play mobas already have one.

In a normal environment HOTS would have trucked along forever. But Blizz’s stock has dipped 40% since blizzcon so everything is on the chopping block. I don’t think HOTS is a failure generally, but Activision is looking for scalps

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

A world where Blackheart's Bay is out of the rotation
forever

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

More like Blackfarts Bay, heh

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

BRJohnson posted:

It must be awful having the rug pulled out from under you in regards to your livelihood or dreams, yes. Personally though, I find the concept of e-sports and professional gaming is very much harder to grasp than even physical sports, so it's difficult to feel an outpouring of emotion over this. I'm assuming there are so many variables when you attempt to make a living playing a game... you rely on other players, people wanting to actually watch you, and of course the fact that your entire livelihood is based on a product owned by a company that is not going to be placing you very high on the priority list. Skills that you can carry on to other work are probably negligible, aside from knowledge of maintaining a presence on the internet, and name recognition limited to that same line of work.

So while I sympathize with those who got this bad news right before the holidays, it doesn't feel particularly surprising or tragic.

Before I'm accused of being a fanboy, if I have any bias it's certainly less defending Blizzard (my Blizzard is dead :( ), and more that I'm out in the rain and snow digging holes and hauling soil and rocks for work, so perhaps that unfairly tweaks my perception of people who play internet games for a living.

It's pretty loving horrible to move your life to do a job with the expectation that there will be income and a future there and have it snatched away in an instant with no forewarning or preparation time. It doesn't matter if you're talking about playing video games for a living or bussing tables or acting or digging ditches or whatever the gently caress it is you do for a living, it's a disgrace for people to get suddenly hosed over and potentially have their lives ruined like this at the drop of a hat.

What happened here is like if you had planned your entire year's income around one of your jobs - which you assumed was a solid plan, because you've been doing that job every year for a couple of years and there's no indicator it wouldn't be happening again - and showed up at the work site and were told to gently caress off because funding suddenly got cut and there's no work for you forever, good luck, no severance or unemployment benefits, have a nice day.

I'm not even particularly sad about HotS going out because I've been on break from the game for a while and hadn't really felt the urge to return, but the way Blizzard handled the HGC cancellation is nothing short of horrid and disgusting. These people should have gotten significant forewarning about this from Blizzard instead of being strung along like this. Sadly, since eSports employees like players and casters are pretty much entirely bereft of employee rights and protections, they probably won't even get an apology.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Hahahahahahah

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

https://twitter.com/endemicesports/status/1073373148496576512

There's a couple orgs who have been trying to make a point of saying their players won't just be unceremoniously laid off, including this one and Simplicity. The odd man out so far was Dignitas, who posted a news blurb about all the awards their team won while not saying a word about financial security and talking about them in a very final past-tense manner.

That's cool, I'm not trying to win your approval and I think the only real beef we have is we like different esports persons? All I'd like going forward is that we can both post about things that aren't Dota 2 without you bringing it back to Dota 2, which I know has happened once or twice over the years.

Dilkington
Aug 6, 2010

"Al mio amore Dilkington, Gennaro"
Competitive HOTS is over: now give us the old Hammer back devs. Pre-rework. All the range talents. I'm ready.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Craptacular! posted:

There's a couple orgs who have been trying to make a point of saying their players won't just be unceremoniously laid off, including this one and Simplicity. The odd man out so far was Dignitas, who posted a news blurb about all the awards their team won while not saying a word about financial security and talking about them in a very final past-tense manner.

Pounded in the butt by my own team

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Wouldnt be SA without someone blaming capitalism for their plight. Thankfully we dont live in a world where the government is forcing us to play a dead lovely game.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
So what're we going to play next?

e:

Despera posted:

Wouldnt be SA without someone blaming capitalism for their plight. Thankfully we dont live in a world where the government is forcing us to play a dead lovely game.

Lol look at this dumb post.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it was incredibly dumb for blizzard not to pick up dota back in the day.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Charles Bukowski posted:

So what're we going to play next?

e:

Lol look at this dumb post.

Was "Force Blizzard to run thier own IP at a loss because you hate last hitting" the post you were hoping for?

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

They just needed to release a nude illidan with extensive penis physics and they could've saved the game. They were almost there with swimsuit Tychus. So close... :negative:

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

there's something vaguely amusing to me about a guy named 'kaeo milker' directing a game that is soon to be ko'd that's been milked as desperately as possible.

ToastyPotato posted:

It's almost funny that Blizzard's go to response to them doing something terrible is always predictably "stay tuned, we might have something good for you!"

"We announced we're gonna be killing the game"
"how did people react"
"they weren't fans"

porfiria posted:

It's not even clear to me what a well-designed mobile game looks like. Hearthstone, I guess?

Granblue Fantasy, FGO, that kinda thing, I guess.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Dec 15, 2018

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED
People losing their job rules I am happy to laugh at them

When I am not throwing rotten eggs at homeless people that is

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

laughing at someone thinking "i'm gonna go all in on this game that obviously has no future as an esport even before blizzard pulled the rug out" is identical to mocking the homeless.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Dec 15, 2018

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Eraflure posted:

also lol that this thread, in its dying breath, still curses last hitting

Whoever makes the final post about it gets the XP.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

Groovelord Neato posted:

they're really embarrassing league-level trash. i want cool looking stuff that still keeps everything cohesive not "gangster baby".

dota used to be really good about skins but they let people just do terrible bullshit for years now.

we all know what your opinion has been on League forever Let's Get Weird.

League is probably in a better spot now since they greatly simplified the game for new people coming in. It's faster to get new heroes and you don't have to purchase your base stats anymore after last season (thank God).

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED

Groovelord Neato posted:

laughing at someone thinking "i'm gonna go all in on this game that obviously has no future as an esport even before blizzard pulled the rug out" is identical to mocking the homeless.

Sorry, I should have said "homeless former esports player", then it would have been way more funny

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Polytopia is probably a good example of a mobile game that isn't designed to be exploitive. You have small one time payments to unlock stuff and the game doesn't have any gambling inspired hooks to keep addicts paying and relying on whales to make profits. Even the "good" gatcha games are still all literally the same with chapters broken into quests, you collect characters of different rarities, and have to grind an absurd amount of materials to upgrade them all.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Dec 15, 2018

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i've only played 2 games on my phone in the last year, puzzle craft 2 which is way more MTX heavy than the first one, which is bad, and Monster Hunter Freedom Unite, which is good.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

How Rude posted:

we all know what your opinion has been on League forever Let's Get Weird.

League is probably in a better spot now since they greatly simplified the game for new people coming in. It's faster to get new heroes and you don't have to purchase your base stats anymore after last season (thank God).

i liked league back in the day. played quite a bit. guess you missed me saying all the games have trash skins.

Midnightghoul posted:

Sorry, I should have said "homeless former esports player", then it would have been way more funny

professional hots couldn't have been paying the bills to being with.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Dec 15, 2018

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Look everyone

It could be worse

This could be Heroes of the Storm

Pachinko

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Hots isnt a job. It's a hobby you can sometimes get paid for. No ones going to look at a resume and be like "holy poo poo you played a video game 18 hours a day and split a tournament prize once with some people! Hired!"

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Lid posted:

Look everyone

It could be worse

This could be Heroes of the Storm

Pachinko

It wasn't already?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

banned from Starbucks posted:

Hots isnt a job. It's a hobby you can sometimes get paid for. No ones going to look at a resume and be like "holy poo poo you played a video game 18 hours a day and split a tournament prize once with some people! Hired!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esG6tzgSVpA

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Despera posted:

Wouldnt be SA without someone blaming capitalism for their plight.

Capitalism is literally to blame for like 99% of the ills in america dumbass.

Midnightghoul posted:

People losing their job rules I am happy to laugh at them

When I am not throwing rotten eggs at homeless people that is

Yeah gently caress everyone making those posts too, that's entirely rotten to be like.

Also League of Lels mostly sucks as a game and they were just under a bunch of poo poo for abusing and sexually harassing employees and stuff to boot.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Dec 15, 2018

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

tcjimbo posted:

I think what made hots fun for me was playing with goons. Now that all the good goons stopped playing, it's easier to say good riddance to all of you. Come play artifact or magic arena with tcjimbo.

Don’t play Artifact or Magic: Arena with TCJimbo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Bogart posted:

Don’t play with TCJimbo.