Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Wow the Rorona overtime is kicking my rear end. The only reason I can make any progress at all is because I had Hom mass produce elixirs, so every battle is me having Esty and Sterk sacrifice themselves protecting Rorona, who then resurrects them and lets them get a hit or two in before dying again

My equipment seems pretty good so I suspect I'm just underleveled, for the first time since the very very beginning of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Sakurazuka posted:

I'm playing it for the first time, bit rocky at the start but now I have a dude and some hosed up cat thing.

Be sure to enable FM synth audio if you're playing via an emulator. That was a Japan-only addon (featuring a YM2413 that was also in a bunch of budget-line keyboards and arcade hardware at the time) but none of the NA releases had their FM code stripped out. PS' FM sounds waaaay better than the dinky Texas Instruments PSG chip that's in the console.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's a very obvious option on the Switch Ages release so yeah. I was wondering why one of the main MS complaints at the time was 'tinny audio' when PS1 sounds pretty good.

I just realised that PS1 is possibly the only Master System game I've ever played.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Oh cool, I don't keep up with modern consoles so I didn't know there was a Switch port. And that's good that it has the audio option.

SMS has some cool stuff on it. There's a couple other RPGs on it, Miracle Warriors (a bit clunky compared to PS, though) and Golden Axe Warrior (more like Zelda). Compile's games are pretty good - Govellius (a very good zelda clone), the Power Strikes, etc. Astro Warrior is a very simple, straightforward shmup that was a pack-in on some systems. Also definitely check out Wonderboy in Monster Land and Wonderboy 3, although if you have a way to play TurboGrafx 16/PC-Engine games, the versions on that console (Bikkuriman World, Dragon's Curse, respectively) are technically superior.

There's also an Alf game. Yes, ALF. It is just as horrendous as you'd imagine.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.

Ofecks posted:

Oh cool, I don't keep up with modern consoles so I didn't know there was a Switch port. And that's good that it has the audio option.

SMS has some cool stuff on it. There's a couple other RPGs on it, Miracle Warriors (a bit clunky compared to PS, though) and Golden Axe Warrior (more like Zelda). Compile's games are pretty good - Govellius (a very good zelda clone), the Power Strikes, etc. Astro Warrior is a very simple, straightforward shmup that was a pack-in on some systems. Also definitely check out Wonderboy in Monster Land and Wonderboy 3, although if you have a way to play TurboGrafx 16/PC-Engine games, the versions on that console (Bikkuriman World, Dragon's Curse, respectively) are technically superior.

SMS has a lot of fun games, and one of my favorites was Rescue Mission where you had these 3 medics(which had different stats) riding on a mine cart and you had to protect them with a lightgun while they drove around a battlefield healing wounded soldiers. The flashes are from the lightgun shots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RS4894A6xl4

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Ofecks posted:

Yeah but it has a really loving funny red herring joke that stops game progression and that makes it all worthwhile.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I tried turning off FM synth and lol wow. Worse than JP Castlevania 3 to US by a mile.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

cheetah7071 posted:

Wow the Rorona overtime is kicking my rear end. The only reason I can make any progress at all is because I had Hom mass produce elixirs, so every battle is me having Esty and Sterk sacrifice themselves protecting Rorona, who then resurrects them and lets them get a hit or two in before dying again

My equipment seems pretty good so I suspect I'm just underleveled, for the first time since the very very beginning of the game.

The easiest way to get through Rorona's postgame content is to make Auto Alarms to give all your party members unlimited auto-revive. It's exactly as game-breaking as it sounds: the only way to lose a fight is if the entire party gets KOed without anyone getting a chance to take a turn in between.

Thuryl fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Dec 14, 2018

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

I tried turning off FM synth and lol wow. Worse than JP Castlevania 3 to US by a mile.

If the SMS/MkIII had two of those PSG chips (similar to a lot of arcade games from the early-to-mid 80s) you could get some cool-sounding stuff like arcade Slap Fight or Wonderboy In Monster Land. But just one to handle both sound effects and music isn't exactly ideal.

An interesting thing about that chip, though. Along with the 4mhz Z80, it is on-board the Genesis/Mega Drive for backwards compatibility, but someone figured out that you can actually push samples through it (albeit at a low-ish quality), which isn't possible with FM chips, only PCMs like the OKI 6295. I'm guessing that's why the port of Zero Wing, for example, has real-sounding drums in its music.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JR2trCayMDM

this is one of the coolest opening videos ive seen

why is it a phone game

tbf it seems like its a proper rpg and not just a gacha game but, still,

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Can't really get behind trailers that show absolutely no gameplay. Also the music they used was absolutely awful.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

anime another world is sick

too bad i'll probably play that game for 20 minutes before not caring anymore

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I do like the DS aesthetic.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's the opening movie like all Tales games have, not a trailer, and the music loving owns grandpa

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Phantasium posted:

too bad i'll probably play that game for 20 minutes before not caring anymore

I'm glad I'm not the only person who was reminded of that exact game by the art style.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

holy crap that trailer owns

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Phantasium posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sitg0_aO6gE ??

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Ofecks posted:

If the SMS/MkIII had two of those PSG chips (similar to a lot of arcade games from the early-to-mid 80s) you could get some cool-sounding stuff like arcade Slap Fight or Wonderboy In Monster Land. But just one to handle both sound effects and music isn't exactly ideal.

Or use it alongside the FM, which I think only the JP SMS BIOS does for its "hey you didn't put a cart/card in, dummy" screen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8S_w-2S3ZqY

Anyway the SMS FM is kinda bad too, I think half of the Phantasy Star songs sound better with PSG and the only other game I can think of where the FM sounds good at all is Double Dragon. That's not to say the PSG is good, because it really isn't, but nothing on the Mark III/SMS used the 2143 as well as you'd see on the MSX really.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
I’m excited for Tales of Reverse Persona 5

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

that intro is dope, now im gonna be salty if the next console tales is just another generic fantasyfest

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Tales of Woe posted:

that intro is dope, now im gonna be salty if the next console tales is just another generic fantasyfest

Good news, there wont be a next console tales game after this makes a billion

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

They're already working on one and announced that specifically so that people wouldn't fret about the dang mobile game.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Phantasium posted:

They're already working on one and announced that specifically so that people wouldn't fret about the dang mobile game.
Then they're smarter than Blizzard. And their target audience loves mobile gacha crapfests.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

that Tales intro should have used gangsta rap

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Anyone willing to help with a recommendation? I'm thinking I want another JRPG (on PS4) after I finish Ys 8 and I'm not quite ready to dive back into another Yakuza game. I've been reading this thread a lot trying to figure out what to get next:

-Dragon Quest XI, great reviews, turn based is my preference, but I'm a monster who isn't really a fan of that art style
-Wait for Trails of Cold Steel next month, I've been pretty happy with Ys8 and Tokyo Xanadu Ex, and this gets a lot of love here
-Atelier Someone? I honestly don't know but this thread has been talking about it quite a bit and I'm sort of curious? It looks very different and I'm all about trying new things.
-Tales of Berseria, dirt cheap for a physical copy, never played a Tales game before, but not sure how I feel about another action rpg
-Disgaea, which I'm not sure counts, but that kind of strategy rpg is something I haven't touched in like twenty years and might be a good change of pace?
-Going back to old Final Fantasy titles I missed like VII, IX, or XII.
-Something else?

I played way too many games this year and will be severely reducing my gaming budget for the next year, so anything that either has significant length, good replay value/alternate paths/NG+ content, or cheap is probably going to get an edge.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Cinnamon Bear posted:

Anyone willing to help with a recommendation? I'm thinking I want another JRPG (on PS4) after I finish Ys 8 and I'm not quite ready to dive back into another Yakuza game. I've been reading this thread a lot trying to figure out what to get next:

-Dragon Quest XI, great reviews, turn based is my preference, but I'm a monster who isn't really a fan of that art style
-Wait for Trails of Cold Steel next month, I've been pretty happy with Ys8 and Tokyo Xanadu Ex, and this gets a lot of love here
-Atelier Someone? I honestly don't know but this thread has been talking about it quite a bit and I'm sort of curious? It looks very different and I'm all about trying new things.
-Tales of Berseria, dirt cheap for a physical copy, never played a Tales game before, but not sure how I feel about another action rpg
-Disgaea, which I'm not sure counts, but that kind of strategy rpg is something I haven't touched in like twenty years and might be a good change of pace?
-Something else?

I played way too many games this year and will be severely reducing my gaming budget for the next year, so anything that either has significant length, good replay value/alternate paths/NG+ content, or cheap is probably going to get an edge.

Play DQ11. It's good.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Make sure you have oodles of time though, the game is like all DQ games and is galacial.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Yeah, if you want a game that will hold you for a while until your wallet can handle another purchase, DQ11 is a solid choice. I've spent 120-ish hours on the game, and I'm not even done yet. I actually need to get back to it at some point.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Yeah, they're not kidding. I've put in 40 hours and they haven't even let me out of the home village yet!

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I'd generally always encourage Atelier play but not if you're looking for a long game. They tend to be in the 20-40 hour range

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Trails of Cold Steel is fine if you don't mind cliffhangers.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Thuryl posted:

The easiest way to get through Rorona's postgame content is to make Auto Alarms to give all your party members unlimited auto-revive. It's exactly as game-breaking as it sounds: the only way to lose a fight is if the entire party gets KOed without anyone getting a chance to take a turn in between.

I tried this and they seem to be single-target, which is extremely inconvenient when you only have one party member who can use items

e: and you can't inherit extend range on auto alarms

ee: I honestly might just move onto Totori, I haven't found the postgame to be super fun in any other Ateliers, not like this one was all that likely to be different

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Dec 15, 2018

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tae posted:

Trails of Cold Steel is fine if you don't mind cliffhangers.

Trails of Cold Steel 2 at least wraps up everything thus far, and just has an epilogue leading in to CS3.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Cinnamon Bear posted:

-Something else?

Dragon Quest XI.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Thanks, thats pretty unanimous so I'll check it out and do my best to get used to the art style.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

of your list i enjoyed Berseria and Cold Steel much more than DQXI which i thought was fine but kind of soulless. most people seem to love it though so idk and it does have the most Content of all of those unless you count both Cold Steel games together

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

I tried this and they seem to be single-target, which is extremely inconvenient when you only have one party member who can use items

Unless the rerelease changed something, you can equip them and they'll automatically take effect on the wearer when needed.

edit: i checked a wiki and apparently the equippable version is only in Meruru? I could swear I used them that way in Rorona Plus, though...

Thuryl fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Dec 15, 2018

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Barudak posted:

Good news, there wont be a next console tales game after this makes a billion

stop making these kinds of dumbass posts

this goes to people who keep making dumbass posts about how there's never going to be a new tales game based on literally loving nothing in general

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The Colonel posted:

stop making these kinds of dumbass posts

this goes to people who keep making dumbass posts about how there's never going to be a new tales game based on literally loving nothing in general

drat, no periods in this post. Can't believe Disney bought out Tales and threw the company in the trash compactor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Everyone, I have very bad news. There will never, ever, be another Tales console game. This is not a joke post meant to entertain, please stop laughing. This is news I have conjured from my time scouring the dark web. Namco Bandai have realized the power of the gachapon, and this new mobile game is just a new test market for their real investment, which will be a mobile game where you use your phone camera to scan barcodes located on minifigs which you must buy from actual gachapon machines. This is in conjunction with Namco's newest business partnership with several American companies which will house these machines, the first one being Walgreen's Pharmacy, and the second being Kentucky Fried Chicken where you will also be able to order a new promotional consisting of the flesh and bone of the in-game mascot character. The final company is Dennicker's RV Expo, of which there is only one location in the entire United States, and so fans of this new game must fly or drive to Decorah, Iowa in order to get their unique 5* unit. Again, I am sorry for this post which I just want to remind you has been completely serious and I ask that you respond accordingly, and I will be understanding if you would react in a way that some people might describe as "unreasonably mad."