Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It's too bad Keith probably also died to Kamille. He, Burning and Synapse were probably the most level headed people involved in the incident, and the latter two died because of it for trying to do the right thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The peak of 0083 was that Kou's entire carrot poo poo is based around a Dragon ball joke.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Raxivace posted:

I like to think Kou joined the Titans and eventually got shot down by Kamille.

Eh, even though his record is technically expunged, I would imagine the top brass (Jamitov and Bask especially) still know who he is and never would let him join the Titans even if we wanted to. Plus, Kou got super demoted back to Ensign, so that kind of blows.

What is likely is that Kou (and probably Keith) just stayed in the EF and stayed as test pilots in bumfuck Nebraska, or he stopped service to work with Nina or something, dunno which is worse

Now Monsha and the rest of the Albion crew 99% likely died to AEUG though

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

MechaX posted:

You know Monsha and his team would have been all about the power grab the Titans would have offered them.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
I like to pretend he's the Byarlant guy from Unicorn

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
I get happy inside knowing that Monsha died screaming thanks to Kamille. It's the only good thing about his character. My girlfriend likes Kou - he's a sweet dumdum, like a fat cat according to her.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
That's an amazing description.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

MechaX posted:

Monsha and rest of the 4th Platoon? I definitely believe they died during a Kamille tantrum. As for the Albion's other crew members, however, I like to believe at least some of them made it out alive.

Of course, now that I've said this, watch Sunrise pump out a spin-off manga and/or light novel revealing that no, Monsha did not die and is alive and well.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Spelling Mitsake posted:

I like to pretend he's the Byarlant guy from Unicorn

I think the most common theory about the guy piloting the Byarlant Custom is that he's the main character from Blue Destiny, though I've also seen people theorize that he ended up being one of the Jegan pilots at the end of CCA

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

drrockso20 posted:

I think the most common theory about the guy piloting the Byarlant Custom is that he's the main character from Blue Destiny, though I've also seen people theorize that he ended up being one of the Jegan pilots at the end of CCA

Byarlant Custom guy is just some ex-Titans dude. Yuu Kajima is apparently in the CCA novel as part of Londo Bell. I could've sworn one of the PS2 Gundam games let you play or had a cameo of Yuu during CCA.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
I needed something to watch while I was playing old SNES games so my small monkey brain can function and not just gently caress off texting and I picked 08th MS Team since it was on Hulu and I already had a sub. It wasn't as good as I remembered it being, but it was still pretty enjoyable. The series was short so I decided to move on to the other Gundam from my childhood, Gundam Wing.

From what I remembered, it was cool as hell and kind of edgy at the time and other than having a couple model kits from the series I don't remember much else. Hooooly poo poo I started watching the first couple episodes and it is unintentionally the funniest mech series I've ever seen.

The highlights for me so far:

Hiro freaking out that a stranger saw his face for no particular reason then punching a bunch of EMTs and stealing their ambulance, then driving it around a day or two later so casually.

Hiro stalking a girl to her high school, tearing up her invite to her birthday party, drying her tears then whispering in her ear "I am going to kill you" just because she saw him passed out on a beach.

Hiro hacking the government from a high school computer lab then erasing his student debt

And another favorite so far, Wufei screaming "I KNEW YOU WERE A WOMAN" at another gundam pilot and then running away because he doesn't fight women in one of the most absurd ways.

Is the whole series accidentally stupid like this or is it just the first couple episodes

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wing is entirely that ridiculous for almost the entire run time.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtI0Aal3C6w

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

RealFoxy posted:

I needed something to watch while I was playing old SNES games so my small monkey brain can function and not just gently caress off texting and I picked 08th MS Team since it was on Hulu and I already had a sub. It wasn't as good as I remembered it being, but it was still pretty enjoyable. The series was short so I decided to move on to the other Gundam from my childhood, Gundam Wing.

From what I remembered, it was cool as hell and kind of edgy at the time and other than having a couple model kits from the series I don't remember much else. Hooooly poo poo I started watching the first couple episodes and it is unintentionally the funniest mech series I've ever seen.

The highlights for me so far:

Hiro freaking out that a stranger saw his face for no particular reason then punching a bunch of EMTs and stealing their ambulance, then driving it around a day or two later so casually.

Hiro stalking a girl to her high school, tearing up her invite to her birthday party, drying her tears then whispering in her ear "I am going to kill you" just because she saw him passed out on a beach.

Hiro hacking the government from a high school computer lab then erasing his student debt

And another favorite so far, Wufei screaming "I KNEW YOU WERE A WOMAN" at another gundam pilot and then running away because he doesn't fight women in one of the most absurd ways.

Is the whole series accidentally stupid like this or is it just the first couple episodes

None of this is accidental.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

None of this is accidental.

You sure? Gundam does have something of a track record with getting writers with a limited understanding of how humans work.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Wing has so much of it that there's no way it's all accidental

Like the part where he gives a 5 minute political speech followed by the reveal that he's in a classroom and his teacher says "I don't think that was terribly appropriate to have as a greeting speech" is hilarious and definitely intentional

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord
TBF intentional doesn't always mean good

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

In this case, however, it is good

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

To be fair to the show also, the schizophrenic dub does a lot to turn the show up from intentional silly crazy to unintentional trainwreck crazy.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

The best part of the Wing dub is the narrator (rip).

HOWEVER,

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
In the name of justice... and peace. The year is After Colony 195...

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Campbell Lane was a treasure, but the guy who voices General "MORBL SOOTS" Septum takes first prize.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Arcsquad12 posted:

Campbell Lane was a treasure, but the guy who voices General "MORBL SOOTS" Septum takes first prize.

It's an uncredited role. I swear the guy who voices dubbed Sergei Smirnov is Septum though.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Thinking about Campbell Lane, how awesome would a Gundam version of Homeworld/Battlestar Galactica be? An AU where the earth is nuked to hell so the last surviving remnants of the earth government and a fleet of civilians set out for Saturn or something while being pursued by an army of cyber newtypes with a hive mind link.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

So a more politically/socially critical Macross?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Argas posted:

It's an uncredited role. I swear the guy who voices dubbed Sergei Smirnov is Septum though.

I thought Duo's voice actor did Septum?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

Thinking about Campbell Lane, how awesome would a Gundam version of Homeworld/Battlestar Galactica be? An AU where the earth is nuked to hell so the last surviving remnants of the earth government and a fleet of civilians set out for Saturn or something while being pursued by an army of cyber newtypes with a hive mind link.

Tomino already did Space Runaway Ideon.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Some hero on youtube made a bit of a complication of the narrator's lines.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7OSeEMxDKE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuDea9yYB8U

I love the Zero system lines :allears:.

Gripweed posted:

I thought Duo's voice actor did Septum?

Doesn't sound like Scott Mcneil to me, could be wrong though.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
There are some great concepts buried underneath the crazy that is Wing. I really like the Zero system, especially the way Dorothy uses it with the mobile dolls. If there had been better editing that could have developed into something more interesting than it ended up.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Monaghan posted:

Some hero on youtube made a bit of a complication of the narrator's lines.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7OSeEMxDKE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuDea9yYB8U

I love the Zero system lines :allears:.

Doesn't sound like Scott Mcneil to me, could be wrong though.

Scott McNeil probably did the lines. He does everything and despite having a recognizable voice, he does weird poo poo as well where nobody realizes it's him. He voiced Commander Boreale like he was doing some bizarre Canadian/Australian Sean Connery impersonation.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Wing has poo poo animation but really really good still shots.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

Tulalip Tulips posted:

There are some great concepts buried underneath the crazy that is Wing. I really like the Zero system, especially the way Dorothy uses it with the mobile dolls. If there had been better editing that could have developed into something more interesting than it ended up.

It's weird how none of the other Gundams have used a system like this. A computer that could make an Oldtype pilot like a Newtype would be great at furthering an us vs. them divide (SEED would have a heyday with it), but it's only really shown up as the EXAM system where it's really just a Newtype doing the piloting anyway. Or there're others where the mental strain means that only Newtypes can handle it.

I guess if you put the computer in a person, that's a Cyber Newtype???

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
It's basically a Cyber Newtype, except even more mentally disastrous.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Aren't Newtypes super good because they basically have precognition? How do you put that in a computer?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Schubalts posted:

It's basically a Cyber Newtype, except even more mentally disastrous.

AV hookups, meanwhile, just have coinflip chances of leaving you paralyzed for life.

...Wait. Would that make Vidar the least disastrous cyber newtype ever?

Captain Cappy posted:

Aren't Newtypes super good because they basically have precognition? How do you put that in a computer?

Well, the ZERO system does it by taking in all relevant data and running through every possible scenario for how it could play out. It... tends to be a bit rough on the pilot.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Mobile Dolls definitely feel like something that should exist in the UC. Is there an in-universe explanation why they don't exist?

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

How you gonna control remote mobile suits when Minovsky particles makes radiowaves not work?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Droyer posted:

How you gonna control remote mobile suits when Minovsky particles makes radiowaves not work?

Basically this. They'd have to be controlled via Psycommu. Which, isn't that what they do in X with the G-Bits?

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Droyer posted:

The only difference between Dolls and the status quo is that they can't disobey orders or go out of mission scope. Sending a bunch of dolls to attack the enemy fleet and then return to base seems like something relatively simple for a humanity that can shrink a fusion reactor down to a cubic meter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Captain Cappy posted:

The only difference between Dolls and the status quo is that they can't disobey orders or go out of mission scope. Sending a bunch of dolls to attack the enemy fleet and then return to base seems like something relatively simple for a humanity that can shrink a fusion reactor down to a cubic meter.

And that's how you get mobile armors.