Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Yeah, I think 2013-15 or so was the high water mark for the show. Though I agree with the above poster that 2017 was a solid year, too.

Strange to think that Heynong Man originated in mid-2015. Feels way older than that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Feels way more recent than that to me...

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Christmas Find-Out Who Game??

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I hope they do another tour next year, both because the last one produced a lot of great episodes (revitalizing my interest in the show and basically leading to the creation of Threedom), and because I'm holding on to the slight hope that they might bother visiting the third highest populated state in the country this time.

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE
The high water mark of the show is the year after whenever you first discovered it.

It started going downhill about two years after you first discovered it.

About three years after you first discovered it you're pretty sure it's going to be cancelled soon so you keep listening just in case and also out of habit.

Four years after you discovered it you complain a lot about how tiresome Scott's antics are and how you haven't found an episode REALLY funny--you know, funny like the classics from the first two years you listened--in longer than you can remember and maybe you aren't going to listen as much

Five years in you listen back to all the old ones and realize they're pretty much the same as the new ones except the old favorite guests all have their own projects and only show up to promote these days.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

gently caress Your Website posted:

The high water mark of the show is the year after whenever you first discovered it.

It's true that there's a novelty factor there that wears off over time, but it's also true that Scott's changed his schtick at times, which has prolonged the life of the show. Imagine if he was still doing Would You Rather? all the time and yelling at guests who talked through the long intro every episode. That extends to guests to some extent too, since PFT hasn't played Ice T in years and seems to have backed off Cake Boss since the tour. After almost 600 episodes, it's no surprise that people feel like a lot of poo poo's been run into the ground, but the amount of stuff that's been retired or significantly downplayed over time is significant too.

I think the other thing working against CBB is just the glut of similar stuff to listen to these days. It's been around a long drat time, and the amount of content out there only gets bigger every year (partially due to this show's success contributing to the creation of Earwolf), so it's easier to feel like it's a chore to keep it in the rotation instead of filling a vital part of your commute or other podcast listening time. I still enjoy it enough to be a fan, but I feel no shame about skipping episodes people are panning or that have guests I'm not interested in, or bailing on an episode if it's not working for me, because I can always find something else to listen to.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
PFT's Ice T being a failed inventor is one of the funniest character bits from the show. It's good that it's retired, since it's auditory black face in a way, but it was funny.

We still have Herzog, though!

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

Franchescanado posted:

Never forget that Don’t Stop Or We’ll Die met under a bridge.

Had the tarp sprung a leak?

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."
never forget that Paul Rust loves chemicals so much he's practically a Walter White over here

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

gently caress Your Website posted:

It started going downhill about two years after you first discovered it.

About three years after you first discovered it you're pretty sure it's going to be cancelled soon so you keep listening just in case and also out of habit.

Four years after you discovered it you complain a lot about how tiresome Scott's antics are and how you haven't found an episode REALLY funny--you know, funny like the classics from the first two years you listened--in longer than you can remember and maybe you aren't going to listen as much

Five years in you listen back to all the old ones and realize they're pretty much the same as the new ones except the old favorite guests all have their own projects and only show up to promote these days.

I've been listening since it was Comedy Death Ray and have only recently started to grow tired of it, so.... WRONG!

I do miss PFT's Ice-T, problematic though it may be.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Maybe "Ice T" needs to be on Yo, Is this racist? Can't say I ever gave it two thoughts personally, although I now have a mental image of PFT sitting there in full blackface like when he dressed up as Richard Harrow that time.

e: obviously very few people know of the impression which might be why it never came up before, but I don't recall there being any uproar over Josh Robert Thompson doing his Morgan Freeman impression for years (including last week on Family Guy) and he's both a white guy AND a gay robot skeleton. Or am I misremembering the characterization that PFT was doing as Ice? I remember the bits being very funny, but no specifics.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

EL BROMANCE posted:

Or am I misremembering the characterization that PFT was doing as Ice? I remember the bits being very funny, but no specifics.

Nah, the characterization wasn't problematic--Ice T is super rich and invests in get-rich-quick schemes that are poorly thought out dumber versions of already existing products. It's a character that is so rich but also out of touch with reality. What's problematic is that PFT is very white, and he's pretending to be a person of color with a very specific speaking pattern.

The real Ice T's voice is also just very funny in itself.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

So, here are my favorite episodes of the year. There was definitely an overly long period of mediocre episodes, but all in all, it was a very good year.

Ep 532 with Stephanie Wittels Wachs and a great Rum Tum Tugger appearance from Tawny Newsome
534 Paul Rust and Claudia O'Doherty. Paul kind of remembers what New No No's are.
540 Hamm, PFT, McKenna, and DASH GRABEM
546 Sean and Hayes
547 John Mulaney and a great Seth Morris character
548 Gilly's back! Also a great PFT character and Tawny Newsome being amazinG
550 Hot Dog's back!
554 A very silly Sanz and Middleditch ep
555 Cameron Esposito, Stillwater, and PROFESSOR STEALWATER
559 Eugene Cordero and Bobby Moynihan
561 Andy Richter and DASH GRABEM returns
564 Galifianakis and Andy Daly
565 Zouks and a ridiculous Mary Holland character
566 The Calvins Triplets return
572 Zouks and PFT
574 Conan shows up. PFT, Lauren, and Mary Holland all bring their A game.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

My list is similar, but I also included Ben Rogers’s appearance as the Nightwolf.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Carl Tart as The Chief absolutely kills me https://comedybangbang.fandom.com/wiki/The_Chief

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

He talked about The Chief on The Flagrant Ones recently, and how he's not happy about being pushed into being Bone Queef's sister. His annoyance and resistance as the character is very real, and that's hilarious to me.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

God drat I should really subscribe to that. I don't care about sports at all though.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Consummate Professional posted:

God drat I should really subscribe to that. I don't care about sports at all though.

The first two episodes may be a bit of a slog, but it really is charming hearing the Boys and Carl be so sincere about their passions. It got me back into basketball.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Shaun Diston has funny ideas but his excessive use of "you know" and "of course" are really distracting to me.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Just gonna link to the original as I doubt you can embed it here, but I thought this was pretty neat.

https://www.reddit.com/r/comedybangbang/comments/a59aio/i_made_an_animated_version_of_scott_and_paul_in/

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

I want to hate Flula Borg and his exaggerated German schtick, but after hearing him on HH and CBB I’m forced to grudgingly conclude he’s legitimately quick-witted and funny.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Tacier posted:

I want to hate Flula Borg and his exaggerated German schtick, but after hearing him on HH and CBB I’m forced to grudgingly conclude he’s legitimately quick-witted and funny.

I didn't like this week's episode very much, but I thought he was fine. The girlfriend character reminded me a little bit of Mary Holland showing up with a one line thing to throw the episode into crazy land, but this was a considerably inferior version of that, and it felt like Scott was doing a lot of work to drag that across the finish line. I should have taken my own advice and hit the next button when it started lagging for me.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Tacier posted:

I completely agree. I honestly thought he was a character the first time he was on the show.

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

Sinteres posted:

I didn't like this week's episode very much, but I thought he was fine. The girlfriend character reminded me a little bit of Mary Holland showing up with a one line thing to throw the episode into crazy land, but this was a considerably inferior version of that, and it felt like Scott was doing a lot of work to drag that across the finish line. I should have taken my own advice and hit the next button when it started lagging for me.

I agree and eventually ended up skipping the entire ending cause it was just so boring.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yeah the girlfriend character was her coming in with something underbaked and the rest of them having to do a whole lot of work to make it kinda sorta funny.

Garth_Marenghi
Nov 7, 2011

PFT and Bobby Moynihan... 10 minutes in and it goes on my best of 2019 list.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Werner Herzog has been cast in the upcoming Star Wars show.

PFT had better capitalize on that.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Garth_Marenghi posted:

PFT and Bobby Moynihan... 10 minutes in and it goes on my best of 2019 list.

I lost it at "Is that where you got that ginus..."

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

kdrudy posted:

I lost it at "Is that where you got that ginus..."

I lost it every time Paul lost it at "Who, me?"

But also at the Ginus.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yeah great ep, my favorite in ages!

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

who, me?

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

This killed me every time. I thought I'd get tired of it, but god drat did both of them do it perfect every time.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Teenage Fansub posted:

Werner Herzog has been cast in the upcoming Star Wars show.

PFT had better capitalize on that.

lol the stuff herzog agrees to be in is so weird

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
I like that he does cameos in cartoons or sitcoms and plays the villain in big budget action movies just because he wants to see what it's like.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

SpacePig posted:

This killed me every time. I thought I'd get tired of it, but god drat did both of them do it perfect every time.

Yeah same. I couldn't believe I was still laughing at it.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I hope Bobby Moynihan's Batman and Gil Ozeri's Bane encounter each other in a future episode.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
You have to do yourself a favor when you're out on Endor and you see Ewoks. Try to look an Ewok in the eye with great intensity. And the intensity of the stupidity that is looking back at you is just amazing. The enormity of their flat brain, the enormity of their stupidity is just overwhelming.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
PFT as Santa dropping a "go on Chapo" really made me laugh.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

LesterGroans posted:

PFT as Santa dropping a "go on Chapo" really made me laugh.

PFT, for God's sake man, go on Chapo. David Cross softened them up for you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Episode dropped as I was about to go to bed last night, listened to a good chunk of it (then woke up for the end which was exactly what I was hoping would happen).

peter griffin I think crossed from bad into so bad it became good. The rooms reactions really saved it, and I think Zeke handled it pretty well. Didn’t someone (maybe zeke?) do something similar on a previous Xmas ep?