Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Cardiovorax posted:

Lost in Vivo is a recent game running on that premise. There was also another one that was made just a while ago, about a therapist diving into the nightmares of their patients to beat up their neuroses? Something like that. It was part of the Spooktober reviews in this thread, just a while ago.

Well, I suppose they might not count, because it's ostensibly technology, but really, it's brain magic.

Nevermind!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Thanks, I just couldn't remember the name for the life of me.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Oh drat, just reminded myself of a Myst-like that came out a few years ago that was about a machine designed to fight dementia. Not a straight horror but very creepy, both because they go pretty in depth with the character's dementia but also the logistics behind this futuristic machine. Like the company that built this thing is flat broke and cuts a lot of corners in a realistic way and the disembodied voice guiding you is basically fighting off the repo-men while you're solving puzzles. Had a fun twist and a very pleasant ending all things considered.

Name escapes me because it was kind of forgettable.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
I'm not sure how else to phrase this, so I'll just go ahead and say it...

What's the game where you're in the woods and there's dick and vagina monsters? I saw a link to a website about the "scariest game monsters" and I can't recall the name of it now. I think it was like Amnesia where you're not MEANT to look at the walking dongs and the crawling fannies.

That's all I know. Sorry.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

al-azad posted:

Oh drat, just reminded myself of a Myst-like that came out a few years ago that was about a machine designed to fight dementia. Not a straight horror but very creepy, both because they go pretty in depth with the character's dementia but also the logistics behind this futuristic machine. Like the company that built this thing is flat broke and cuts a lot of corners in a realistic way and the disembodied voice guiding you is basically fighting off the repo-men while you're solving puzzles. Had a fun twist and a very pleasant ending all things considered.

Name escapes me because it was kind of forgettable.

That might be Pneuma: Breath of Life?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The_Doctor posted:

That might be Pneuma: Breath of Life?

Found it it's Ether One.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

al-azad posted:

Found it it's Ether One.

Ah, a virtually identical game I own, but have never played.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

al-azad posted:

An idea popped in my head about someone using the concept of Silent Hill as like horrific therapy. This character sort of invites people to manifest and face their guilt (some more willing than others) and hopefully come out clean even though most die or are lost forever in their nightmare worlds. I guess it would be The Evil Within assuming STEM wasn't run by a revenge bound Dr. Lecter or a shadowy illuminati.

What movies/books/media explore the idea of someone being aware of a supernatural horror element and using it ostensibly to help people in a twisted way? First thing that hit me as I was typing this was actually Death Note but there has to be other media like this.

So, Saw?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

al-azad posted:

An idea popped in my head about someone using the concept of Silent Hill as like horrific therapy. This character sort of invites people to manifest and face their guilt (some more willing than others) and hopefully come out clean even though most die or are lost forever in their nightmare worlds. I guess it would be The Evil Within assuming STEM wasn't run by a revenge bound Dr. Lecter or a shadowy illuminati.

What movies/books/media explore the idea of someone being aware of a supernatural horror element and using it ostensibly to help people in a twisted way? First thing that hit me as I was typing this was actually Death Note but there has to be other media like this.

Technically speaking the hellraiser villains are after people who are into the kind of masochistic torture that they offer, so ... maybe?

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

I think the implication was less malicious and more successful.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Procrastinator posted:

I think the implication was less malicious and more successful.

The Saw treatment works in every one of those movies. People always get converted to his dumb philosophy, they never decide to just kill him now that they're the winners and he can't make up some dumb reason why they didn't like life enough.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Well, how else would they get to make even more sequels?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

e: gently caress, wrong tab. sorry!

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Does the Evil Within 2 have the same shitstain colour scheme as most of the first?

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

SelenicMartian posted:

Does the Evil Within 2 have the same shitstain colour scheme as most of the first?

I dont think so? I would call it grey, cold, blue?

One of the later parts has rust, flames and poo poo but I guess thats it?

TEW2 is good btw

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Regardless of colour choice TEW tends to stay high-contrast and monochrome and it's just painful to me. I gave up on a playthrough at the sepia village twice.

Finishing the final boss now, before starting TWE2. It's loving hilarious and I'm mostly glad I got to the end.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

al-azad posted:

I don't like Saw as it is, man. I don't think I'd gel well with some psyker forcibly gathering people and putting them into some chaotic dream realm because he wants to "heal" them.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Crabtree posted:

I don't like Saw as it is, man. I don't think I'd gel well with some psyker forcibly gathering people and putting them into some chaotic dream realm because he wants to "heal" them.

I was thinking less Saw, and more of a guide. Jigsaw is an unapologetic villain who builds deathtraps and his justification is just to indoctrinate an heir.

Tbh the idea came about as I was thinking about the magical negro archetype and how in a lot of horror movies (thankfully less of a trend) there's some minority who is aware of whatever evil being exists and they live their life harmoniously with it until the oblivious (and almost always white) protagonist disrupts it resulting in the magical negro sacrifcing themselves. I was thinking about that archetype but instead of being the protagonist's saviour, they're instead the harbinger of their journey instigating them on the path to healing through this trial by fire. It's still a morally ambiguous role but hey, so is the town.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Halloween Horror Nights at Universal Orlando did a concept that could be turned into that back in 2008. They got the rights to use Bloody Mary for their event icon and created a backstory where she was a psychiatrist who believed in radical methods of curing phobias. Her idea was that she would expose patients to their fears in such an extreme manner that they would be forced to confront them (like for a woman who was afraid of the Headless Horseman, she procured a severed head and had her reveal it to herself in an empty room). All of her patients were just driven to more extreme psychosis because of the stress until one of them allowed himself to suffocate to death rather than expose himself to his fear, at which point Mary realized that her own fear of death was assuaged by seeing people die. She started setting up her sessions as traps that would kill her patients, where she would watch through a two-way mirror.

The Bloody Mary part comes from some magic related to her grandmother's haunted jewelry box and being killed by an escaped patient stabbing her to death with the mirror shards. Not as important.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Unrelated but where's my goddamn Candy Man reboot?? He's never been more relevant to the modern political climate than now!

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
https://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/tv/ct-ent-jordan-peele-candyman-reboot-20181128-story.html

did you really not know

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Probably won't involve a horror game though. Itself could probably be an interesting setting, maintaining and growing an urban legend as a titular boogeyman.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Now I know and now I'm happy.

Crabtree posted:

Probably won't involve a horror game though. Itself could probably be an interesting setting, maintaining and growing an urban legend as a titular boogeyman.

I was disappointed that Persona 5 dropped the rumors aspect of the Persona series. It wasn't a gameplay element in 3 or 4, but the first four games had a strong narrative element of rumors becoming reality within the public which resulted in some creepy plot beats. It's an angle that horror games haven't really gone for except maybe the Twilight Syndrome series that was never brought over in English.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Dec 14, 2018

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
5's sort of had that, but with the Phantom Thieves becoming a meme/social movement/craze that quickly got out of control that you could also probably put into horror. Especially with social networking today as it is.

Maybe you'd need to post/tweet/etc the right comments without being culled either by a corp/creature that feeds on flesh as much as attention. Where views and likes determine worth and value as a person.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire

al-azad posted:

I was disappointed that Persona 5 dropped the rumors aspect of the Persona series. It wasn't a gameplay element in 3 or 4, but the first four games had a strong narrative element of rumors becoming reality within the public which resulted in some creepy plot beats. It's an angle that horror games haven't really gone for except maybe the Twilight Syndrome series that was never brought over in English.

I think this was alive and well in 5, just that it wasn't as overt as it was in some previous entries. The whole idea of the Personas/Demons themselves are rooted in this- they're all mythological creatures or characters from stories or religious figures, they're literally manifestations of human belief.

It might have just seemed that 5 was so rooted in social media that it felt more like society was reacting to events rather than creating them.

I always thought the "rumor manipulator" in 2 was a hilarious addition. Yep you can basically change reality in any way you could possibly want but let's not use it to solve any of our problems, I want a new weapon store!! :downsgun:

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

The important things don't change just because a rumor happens.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Poulpe posted:

I always thought the "rumor manipulator" in 2 was a hilarious addition. Yep you can basically change reality in any way you could possibly want but let's not use it to solve any of our problems, I want a new weapon store!! :downsgun:

It's easier to spread the word that a random person happens to sell weapons than it is to try and convince a city of people currently under attack by nazis that the nazis don't exist :v:

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

It's basically a gamified take on internet urban legends. You can't tell me that "there's a website that makes rumors come true if you post them there" doesn't sound exactly like one of those.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
It’s called Facebook and it’s why Trump won. :v:

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I would've posted that "oh snap" emote here, but I can't find it anymore. Just imagine I did.

But really, that's the exactly the kind of thing you'd read about in a creepypasta story, or maybe an "i posted a rumor that my math teacher has AIDS and then he died!!!" usenet hoax back in the day.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I'm really, really, impressed by Painscreek Killings so far (other than it running very choppy on my rig). Putting things together or figuring out a combination is really rewarding when you don't have your hand held. Other than Obra Dinn are there any other games in this kind of "you're on your own, figure it out" genre?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

In terms of gameplay and puzzles or in not actually telling you what the story even is? If it's the former, then any adventure game made before 1995 or so.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I don't know if it's still available digitally but try to play Scratches. Keep a tab open to Universal Hint System because it's very much an old school adventure but it's a really good (and creepy) mystery game.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
Dark Days on the Oculus has a similar plot point of "supernatural force as treatment". You play a character going out to a motel in the desert and begin being stalked by something and having flashbacks about your dead lover that eventually leads you to a government site where you realize all the missing people before you were lead there and there's some kind of supernatural history to the area. At the end you're given the choice to jump off a cliff or push the monster, which now appears as your dead lover. If you don't jump you get the bad end where some security officer just blows you away on sight because you were supposed to "pass on through." The other ending, uhh, requires more context.

Didn't get a lot of recognition because it's a small pool of VR players but it was a fun adventure game with some hide and seek elements. I callously refer to it as an autism simulator because the monster is only triggered to chase if you look directly at it, which led me to enter every room looking at the floor and sort of side eye the rest of the room to see if it was clear.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Cardiovorax posted:

In terms of gameplay and puzzles or in not actually telling you what the story even is? If it's the former, then any adventure game made before 1995 or so.

This is the kind of poo poo I grew up on and why I love the genre in general. Your Kings Quests and Mysts and (to a much more obscure extent) Journeyman Projects. But those were much more fantastical (still enjoyable) and more obtuse. Killings so far hasn't had me solve a puzzle by handing a cat a comb covered in bubble gum or some poo poo.

al-azad posted:

I don't know if it's still available digitally but try to play Scratches. Keep a tab open to Universal Hint System because it's very much an old school adventure but it's a really good (and creepy) mystery game.

Scratches has one of my favorite twists in adventure games ever and I actually adapted (see: stole) a lot of it to run a tabletop pen and paper Call of Cthulhu game once upon a time.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

weekly font posted:

Scratches has one of my favorite twists in adventure games ever and I actually adapted (see: stole) a lot of it to run a tabletop pen and paper Call of Cthulhu game once upon a time.

What's that?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

There are no candles in the house.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

FirstAidKite posted:

What's that?
I think the twist was that you're just hallucinating or dreaming all the spooky poo poo and the "monster" is just the former owner's mentally handicapped son who has been hiding out in the coal cellar all this time and really just wants to be left alone.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

weekly font posted:

I'm really, really, impressed by Painscreek Killings so far (other than it running very choppy on my rig). Putting things together or figuring out a combination is really rewarding when you don't have your hand held. Other than Obra Dinn are there any other games in this kind of "you're on your own, figure it out" genre?

You might like Make It Good: https://ifdb.tads.org/viewgame?id=jdrbw1htq4ah8q57

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Cardiovorax posted:

I think the twist was that you're just hallucinating or dreaming all the spooky poo poo and the "monster" is just the former owner's mentally handicapped son who has been hiding out in the coal cellar all this time and really just wants to be left alone.

Yeah. It's a plot that would be in the X-Files or something.

Thanks! I went a little nuts during the black friday sale on adventure games but I'll add this to the queue.