Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug

CJacobs posted:

For the person who was asking about preferably-local other LP sources, I do them and people say they're good, I put lots of effort into them. Here's my favorite more conversational LP I've done with other people co-commentating and here's my favorite 'professional standard' LP featuring just me with lots of editing and information.
Dead Space 3 is a pro-click.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

well

I have more room to watch columbo now

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe
I was super apprehensive watching that video. Soon as I saw Woolie's face I thought he was going to say Matt, Pat, or Woolie is dead. Break up sucks, but at least it's not that. I'd only gotten back into them. I took a long break after Liam left and seeing a reaction video of them when DMCV was announced brought me back in. Their hype and love of the genre plus thier LPs of DMC 1 and 3 got me to finally go through DMC4, a type of game I'm terrible at, and I loved it. And now the channel isn't even going to survive to see the fifth's release. What a bummer.

Flubby fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Dec 17, 2018

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I'm not sure Woolie would have a video prepared in case he died, but I absolutely believe if such a video existed he would have a contingency plan to have it uploaded.

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe
Yeah they film weeks in advance sometimes.

No.1 Special
Apr 4, 2011
This whole situation just breaks my heart. I wish things could have worked out but hopefully everything will work out for them. Thanks for all the memories.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I mean Achievement Hunter is pretty good I think, especially when they focus more on personalities clashing

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Woolie's heart rate is tied to a literal dead man's switch, 999-style, that will upload a final video should he die that's just him giving double middle fingers to the camera while raving madly about how he will NEVER let's play another naruto game

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Ches Neckbeard posted:

The moment the solo stuff started it felt like there was an invisible countdown on the channel.

Lor posted:

Edit: If anyone does have any cool LP channels to recommend - of any type, really, I'm more interested in the personality of the players rather than the types of games now - I'd love to hear them.
They're kind of the OGs of let's playing on a large scale(and woolie and pat both were heavily inspired by them), but Giant Bomb is good, has ten years of content, and a lot of really good stuff in the back catalog. Giant Bomb West is contentious on whether people enjoy their stuff or not these days, but Giant Bomb East is pretty universally loved with the combination of Alex, Vinny, Dan and Abby(with Jeff Bakalar on the Beastcast) just being super fun despite them working out of what is almost literally a closet.

GBWest has Jeff Gerstmann, the methuselah of gaming critics, Ben Pack, Brad Shoemaker, Jan Ochoa, and Jason Oestreicher. I really enjoy the rapport between Jeff and Ben, and their Ranking of Fighters is an okay stand-in for Fisticuffs. They seem to have fallen into a proper rhythm with one good game and one hilariously terrible game with each episode, basically combining fisticuffs and scrublords. There's plenty of full playthroughs they've done, easily the most famous is Vinny and Jeff's playthrough of Persona 4, called the Endurance Run, which got a lot of people interested in Persona in the first place.

They all generally have a great rapport with each other, and they're just about to put out their Game of the Year content, including a solid week of podcast deliberations, which are the best/worst depending on who you ask(generally if you're looking for trainwrecks they're great).

If you do dive into their stuff, a lot of their older content, often considered their best, involve a big guy named Ryan Davis. He was co-founder of the site and died on his honeymoon in 2013, which still loving stings and probably will never stop hurting because he was a loving legend. Definitely find whatever content of his you can, him and jeff played off each other so god drat well. The giant bomb thread has a ton of links to their better stuff, though the OP hasn't been updated in a while since I went full time and don't have time to curate that poo poo anymore

Andrast posted:

Probably pretty much the same
I kinda hope so. Matt did have some good interjections but it really was just Chewie and Fuckface for the last year or so for the most part. I do hope they get more guests on and they're good ones.

edit: giant bomb's playthrough of Bioforge, a game I had never heard of until they played it, is maybe my favorite LP of all time, it's so loving absurd, that game.

This is a highlight reel but I highly recommend just grabbing a month of premium for GB and watching the Backflips'n'Bioforge series at the very least

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tpIbrJbNvM&hd=1

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Dec 17, 2018

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

CJacobs posted:

Woolie's heart rate is tied to a literal dead man's switch, 999-style, that will upload a final video should he die that's just him giving double middle fingers to the camera while raving madly about how he will NEVER let's play another naruto game

Woolie's learned much from German Spy, I see.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
it turns out the real accidental ax throws were the race-realists we dated along the way

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Flubby posted:

Soon as I saw Woolie's face I thought he was going to say Matt, Pat, or Woolie is dead.
:thunk:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Sanguinia posted:

This is a deep blow. Like almost as deep as finding out jontron was a Nazi. Best friends is why I have more than half my youtube follows and Ive spent more hours watching and rewatching their content than pretty much any other entertainment since college. Times have been very dark the last 8 years or so, and one more of the things that helped me get through it is gone. This is the worst.

I've been watching them since the MK9 Machinama video and I have to agree. They've cheered me up through a lot of hard times in my life and it's really setting in that there aren't going to be new videos or LPs and Matt won't be podcasting anymore. It's really too bad that it ended badly.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Where's this stuff with Pat trying to console Liam who just sandbags him?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Woke up feeling awful and now this too, gently caress sake, right on the edge of so many very Best Friends games coming up.

I'd already started disliking Pat more lately for the obvious poo poo with Paige, but this really shits everything up even worse than expected, spent a lot of time watching these dudes and some of it helped so much over time.

At least Matt and Woolie are still doing their own things. :smith:

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I think my favorite moments will always just be from the mailbag videos.

Specifically where Woolie gets the Gameboy Color and Pat starts making fun of him for crying, and when they all just agreed to give Liam one of the TTGL blu ray sets because he hadn't gotten anything big for just him.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I'm probably gonna spend a couple of hours watching yo videogames, giantbomb and game grumps' Nintendo Directs videos to see who's right for me on conferences...

Killed By Death
Jun 29, 2013

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Where's this stuff with Pat trying to console Liam who just sandbags him?
You mean this?

Monathin posted:

I wasn't the only one scrubbing the subreddit for info I see.

Apparently there was a small back and forth which got deleted that Crymetina commented on (which also got deleted) a few weeks back, too: https://archive.is/Amax1 https://archive.is/tNtpv

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Roth posted:

Specifically where Woolie gets the Gameboy Color and Pat starts making fun of him for crying, and when they all just agreed to give Liam one of the TTGL blu ray sets because he hadn't gotten anything big for just him.

Those videos were serious contenders for GOAT, there were just so many great moments and brick jokes. Like Liam's magical girl transformation /w the Peach apron and knife, Matt having to vacuum up a glitter bomb, Pat in his lizard glasses telling kids to stay in school, and them going from "I hope they don't send us dragon dildos" to "WHERE THE gently caress ARE THOSE DRAGON DILDOS?!"

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Seconding the recommendation for GiantBomb, and another suggestion for a practically legendary LP series from them is Metal Gear Scanlon. Dan Ryckert, a huge fan of everything Metal Gear, accompanies Drew Scanlon, a total Metal Gear virgin, through the entire series, 1-5.

It's absolutely incredible seeing someone's reaction to all the bizarre poo poo that happens in MGS, plus the Let's Play Gods themselves blessed them with some absolute phenomenal dumb luck. The way they kill The End in MGS3 is so loving hilariously implausible, it can't be done justice unless you see it.

bucksmash
Mar 11, 2002

Roth posted:

Woolie being genuinely touched by the GBC gift is one of the absolute best moments of SBF. Woolie seems like of the most chill and sweet people ever, so it hurts twice as much to see him so crushed in the goodbye video.

And while sadly SBF is no more, always remember DONG DONG NEVER DIE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdvYBHpEWIY

bucksmash fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Dec 17, 2018

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
You know when i saw this notification of Super Best Friends Play (Final). I thought it was an out of season april fool's joke. But now that it's real. I feel g o o d... You could tell that the channel was a drain on all of them. Plus i did my mourning when Liam left. All that came after was borrowed time. I was just waiting for the other shoe to drop.

They have literally given me countless hours of entertainment at no extra expense and i respect all of them to the point of zealotry. I'm not gonna give a run-down of all the times they made me feel better just that i'm glad they maintained the illusion for as long as they did. But the writing was on the wall. Change is a part of life and i hope that the Best Friends go onto great things even if they're not together.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Them getting that second ultra expensive limited edition gurren lagann boxed set and the slow, creeping dread and realization of the monster they have created is easily one of my favorite things on the internet of all time lol jesus christ

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

drat lol

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
for a big dumb plug I have consistently found Supergreatfriend (weird coincidence I know) to be the best long form LPer on youtube

I used to follow Game Grumps but the fact they rarely finish a game sort of turned me off on em. I originally got into SBF because they always finished what they started.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Can't believe it took Thanos nearly 6 months to kill the Zaibatsu after Liam.

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe
Watch Giant Bomb. DO NOT go to the Giant Bomb thread.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

The real question is what will happen to the Sonic Unleashed LP

And who gains custody of Zubaz. Is he homeless again :ohdear:

Lor
Oct 9, 2006

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I used to follow Game Grumps but the fact they rarely finish a game sort of turned me off on em. I originally got into SBF because they always finished what they started.

This is something I never really appreciated until I started looking for other LPers to watch - I love the fact that SBF (nearly) always played a game to completion and finished their LPs.

A lot of LP channels, Game Grumps in particular as you said, don't seem to finish very much.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Gonna bring this along because these guys are all great and I finally got the links to work only for me to post like three away from the next page.

Also I reorganized everyone from wackiest to most straight laced.

RareAcumen posted:

Tae posted:

Wasn't Pat on the side of no patreon, that's a lot of lost money over a few years.

Wow, that's a huge bumble if that's true. They'd have enough money to buy the Game Grumps if they'd gotten in on that.

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

Are there any similar active Let's Play channels around? Seems like there are less and less of these every year.

Nalesh posted:

local group strawhatno is pretty good for that.

Cannot recommend the StrawhatNO enough. Do be warned that their earlier work is different because one member (Travis) left because he's too busy to be a part of the group- I wanna say it's voice acting?- and (Yoshi) the other one is just cursed as far as his schedule goes. That hasn't stopped him from joining in on the two Sonic LPs lately though, which I'm super thankful for because the dude's got the most infectious laugh I've ever heard. Check out some of their early stuff, it's a hoot. Especially the James Bond games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVITnVCmF9c&t=557s

Chorpsaway and FutureFriend are the last two I can recommend because they're basically a group effort and they both make their own LPs with them being in them more often than not. Chorps did Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm from 2 to 4, Katamari Damacy, 50Cent Blood on the Sand, along with both Gungrave games etc and FutureFriend has done Final Fight: Streetwise, The Bouncer, Kingdom Hearts 1 and Chain of Memories and he's now working on Indigo Prophecy. They've got more stuff but I think this post is already getting long enough.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHu17oT5IL8uXt8WXQ2E-rQ

https://www.youtube.com/user/FriendlyVanmen

And it's pretty easy to see if you'll like FF's stuff or not since VoiceofDog made a highlight reel of his videos on threat of death commission.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UgnrFGH0dQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5KFP3LkZAU

And there's also Chip Cheezum- AKA that guy who used to work at Volition and likes those Metal Gear and Uncharted games- and he also did an LP of The Wonderful 101 as well. Currently in the midst of uploading all the videos for the charity event him, General Ironicus and his wife, and VoidBurger have all been doing so the videos are kinda a mix of those and Super Mario Odyssey right now but eventually they'll get back to MGSV. Chip's got the superhuman ability of scrapping bad takes so he'll do like 7 runs of a level so he can actually get a decent run of MGR. Dude did an LP of Watchdogs so he'd have a grasp on how to LP Open-World games so MGSV and Super Mario Odyssey would go better.

https://www.youtube.com/user/ChipCheezumLPs/playlists

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Before I forget, what are the best anime podcasts out right now? (I know the Weebcast with Gigguk is now defunct)

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Rejected again!

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I'd like to imagine that the SBFP Closing Contract gave full custody of The Baz to all three of them to put into any game by any means and expand his reach.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Also this guy is certainly not up everyones alley but in terms of other channels to follow I'd like to throw a hat in for a guy named Galm over on youtube.

Dude's a young 20 something that loves playing shooters/platformers/indies and he always plays on the hardest settings. He's got a natural flow to commentary and some pretty good reactions to silly poo poo video game plots throw at him but he's mostly what I'd classify as "chill" (unless he's in a multiplayer game with his friends, in which case he becomes pretty rowdy)

He does a ton of high quality editing of his own videos to cut out dead air (even in multiplayer games if there's long stretches where nothing is happening) and uploads about 3 videos every day usually of different games he's playing at the same time so there's a healthy variety of content to chew through.

Only downsides I see is that he's kind of a workaholic and I'm worried he's going to burn himself out despite the fact he's been at this for a good handful of years now and he can (very rarely) get irate if comments backseat him across several videos over really minor poo poo. It's SUPER rare but it's popped up 2-3 times.

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Dec 17, 2018

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Seconding the recommendation for GiantBomb, and another suggestion for a practically legendary LP series from them is Metal Gear Scanlon. Dan Ryckert, a huge fan of everything Metal Gear, accompanies Drew Scanlon, a total Metal Gear virgin, through the entire series, 1-5.

It's absolutely incredible seeing someone's reaction to all the bizarre poo poo that happens in MGS, plus the Let's Play Gods themselves blessed them with some absolute phenomenal dumb luck. The way they kill The End in MGS3 is so loving hilariously implausible, it can't be done justice unless you see it.

Man if what seems to be drat near everything weren't paywalled I'd give this a shot. Especially since I have 0 idea about Metal Gear outside some LP's

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Grouchio posted:

Before I forget, what are the best anime podcasts out right now? (I know the Weebcast with Gigguk is now defunct)

Not purely anime but SuperEyepatchWolf's Let's Fight a Boss cast is pretty good.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

theCalamity posted:

Didn’t someone speculate a couple of months ago about bad blood between Liam and pat here?

Yeah, I did. It seemed obvious because Liam did videos with and keeps open communication with everyone except Pat, but i guess it wasn't that obvious until now.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Man if what seems to be drat near everything weren't paywalled I'd give this a shot. Especially since I have 0 idea about Metal Gear outside some LP's

Yeah, quite a bit of GB is paywalled, but it's absolutely worth it just for the MGS and Persona LPs, plus there's tonnes of other fantastic stuff on there too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Funhaus, a branch of the Rooster Teeth stuff, has a very similar 'we're just gonna gently caress around and have fun with this video game and we'll see what happens' thing. They don't really do many proper LP's, more one shots and all, but they have themed stuff like GTA Online (now Red Dead Online) every week and they have played Hit Man games in a very special way...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TM3sNH7c5B4

They also do poo poo like boardgames and have a podcast and all. Solid group with good chemistry and mostly made up of the same people from their Machinima days when they started with a few additions like one of the guys' wife who's a hilarious dork.