Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Looper posted:

my money's on eggman having a sympathetic backstory

he hates that hedgehog

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I wish How To Train Your Dragon 3 was just an hour and a half of this:

https://twitter.com/harleivy/status/1073569172536393728

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

What are you talking about? Eggman is already sympathetic: he really wants to build theme parks and blowup up a smartass hedgehog, how is that not relatable?

He is also a feminist, he should be the protagonist.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Senior Scarybagels posted:

He is also a feminist, he should be the protagonist.

Eggman is a very well rounded character, and not just because of his shape.

Corrosion
May 28, 2008

His character is endorsed by Knuckles, who in contrast only saw the apocalypse in Sonic.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Looper posted:

my money's on eggman having a sympathetic backstory

Impossible for him to not be sympathetic, his enemy is friends with the police

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I hate superhero movies and I hate Spider-Man in particular.

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse should be an easy grab for the Oscar and is one of the most visually impressive films of all time. It's extremely good across the board, it's exceptional. It's unbelievable how good it is.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Hometown Slime Queen posted:

I genuinely enjoyed the meme in the Spiderverse stinger.

Extremely same.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Why are we talking about Sonic when Spider-Man is the most gorgeous animated anything I've ever seen. I even enjoyed the bits that weren't me staring slackjawed at the colour work or action scenes.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
im unbelievably horny for how well spiderverse integrated the power of animation into its storytelling. if i had balls they'd be in a complete flurry.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Pick posted:

im unbelievably horny for how well spiderverse integrated the power of animation into its storytelling. if i had balls they'd be in a complete flurry.

Um... I love Spider-Man and all but are you okay?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Saw Spider-verse tonight, and all I can really say right now is that the post-credits scene is by far the best joke in the whole movie even though it’s incredibly meme-y.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Gonna see Spider-Verse today but can someone confirm if Spider-Dust from the MCU makes an appearance?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Regalingualius posted:

Saw Spider-verse tonight, and all I can really say right now is that the post-credits scene is by far the best joke in the whole movie even though it’s incredibly meme-y.

Yeah, that part was on-point.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Also I'm pretty sure that (Spiderman spoilers) Tobey Maguire Spiderman is now canonically dead.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Nitrousoxide posted:

Also I'm pretty sure that (Spiderman spoilers) Tobey Maguire Spiderman is now canonically dead.

"We dont talk about that one"

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Nitrousoxide posted:

Nah, I'm pretty sure that Peter B. Parker is supposed to the the Tobey Maguire Spider-Man, or at least representative of him. Miles' universe's Spider-Man is a lot more put together than the TM Spider-Man, after all, with a secret base and a dune buggy. Not to mention that we've seen Doc Ock and Green Goblin in the TM universe, and they're not a woman or giant monster, respectively. There's definitely elements of and references to Maguire's Spider-Man, but I think that's because Miles' Spider-Man is supposed to be the ur-archetype and most competent version of the hero at his peak, to help deepen the impact when he's killed.

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Dec 15, 2018

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

They were going to have Tobey Maguire reprise his role at one point, but they figured he'd garner too much attention away from Miles.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Harlock posted:

Spider Verse was pretty good. I might argue it could've been a smidge longer. It picks up steam really fast and just steamrolls to the end without a second to breathe or really reflect. Which is fine, it works, but some major events happen and they just gloss over real quick.

This is my opinion as well. The movie could have used five or ten more minutes to add some breathing room.

That said, it's an all-around great movie with absolutely incredible visuals. I really like Miles as a character, also.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Decided to make a Spider-Verse thread.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Seeing Spider verse today in IMAX. I never see anything in imax

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Macaluso posted:

I wish How To Train Your Dragon 3 was just an hour and a half of this:

https://twitter.com/harleivy/status/1073569172536393728

People think Toothless is cute but really he’s a killer.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Shaocaholica posted:

People think Toothless is cute but really he’s a killer.

Lions and cheetahs are killers too but seeing them get affectionate with a human trainer is still cute.

Edit: And Dolphins, but dolphins are even more horrible than just killers, and people still find them cute.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Senior Scarybagels posted:

Lions and cheetahs are killers too but seeing them get affectionate with a human trainer is still cute.

Edit: And Dolphins, but dolphins are even more horrible than just killers, and people still find them cute.

The only thing stopping housecats from causing near complete bird genocide is keeping them indoors and people loving love to cuddle those

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

ThermoPhysical posted:

This has been floating around my Twitter lately.

Not sure if it's real, but supposedly, this is before they changed the cast last year.

this looks exactly as bad as the other image except in a completely different way, this looks like a 3 year old wearing a sonic fursuit

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Eggman is a very well rounded character, and not just because of his shape.
"Romanticist, feminist and self professed gentleman" is exactly what joss whedon(and a hundred other shitbags) would have described himself as.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Elfgames posted:

"Romanticist, feminist and self professed gentleman" is exactly what joss whedon(and a hundred other shitbags) would have described himself as.

"Fun" fact: TV Tropes has a page for "Feminism" and at one stage, the first three people it named as examples of famous or prominent feminists were Dr Eggman, Joss Whedon and Linkara.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Not surprised at all - TVTropes even after it's clean ups is still where the worst of the gatekeeping shutins gather.

I admit, I actually felt vindicated when Kai Cole exposed Whedon, because people kept going on and on about how he's such a good feminist when I found myself intensely creep out by the way the camera linger on River Tam and the first draft pilot where Inara is raped essentially to teach Mal to stop calling her a whore.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Is Whedon essentially dead to Hollywood? I don't really follow the rape news.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Shaocaholica posted:

He apparently has a new tv series in the pipeline which is meant to be "X-Men but in Victorian England" or something like that. Have heard nothing about it since it was announced, though.

Corrosion
May 28, 2008

Wheat Loaf posted:

He apparently has a new tv series in the pipeline which is meant to be "X-Men but in Victorian England" or something like that. Have heard nothing about it since it was announced, though.

So more Clairemont-esque stuff?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Elfgames posted:

Woah! Don't go insulting Eggman by comparing him to Joss Whedon! Yeesh, that was just mean.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Corrosion posted:

So more Clairemont-esque stuff?

Probably.

Sure, he's done stuff I like, but most of it is variations on Chris Claremont, isn't it?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Shaocaholica posted:

He's involved in the Buffy reboot thing they're trying to find a home for.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

ThermoPhysical posted:

This has been floating around my Twitter lately.

Not sure if it's real, but supposedly, this is before they changed the cast last year.

This lead me to finding a casting sheet that showed Charlie Day on a shortlist to voice sonic and I will forever be distraught that this is not the actual case

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I'm out of the loop, what did Joss Whedon and Linkara do exactly

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Shadow Hog posted:

Linkara didn't do anything afaik (he's certainly squeaky clean compared some of the other people who ran Channel Awesome and the nostalgia critic), but it's still funny that tv tropes listed him (and some other dudes) over any female feminists

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Shadow Hog posted:

Joss Whedon cheated on his wife with multiple women for a very long time.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i think spider man might have finally topped paranorman for most visually impressive climax, but I'll have to watch it again after the honeymoon period

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

Linkara didn't do anything afaik (he's certainly squeaky clean compared some of the other people who ran Channel Awesome and the nostalgia critic), but it's still funny that tv tropes listed him (and some other dudes) over any female feminists
Oh, phew, okay. Was worried that practically everyone I liked at CA was tainted now, with Doug and JewWario already being damaged goods after the whole #ChangeTheChannel exposé.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Joss Whedon cheated on his wife with multiple women for a very long time.

fired Charisma Carpenter for daring to get pregnant, the really lovely backstory for Black Widow in Avengers, the proto-pilot for Firefly where Inara's gangraped so Mal learns not to call her a whore, all of Dollhouse, and part of his cheating is him sleeping actresses he had power over, including some that might not have been legal and blaming it on "Society", then there's his script for Wonder Woman that waxes poetic about her tits.

I thought his Feminist credit was bullshit from Firefly on, and in retrospect there's a lot of gross poo poo around Buffy and Angel, but yet fans fell over themselves proclaiming him the next Feminist icon. So when his ex-wife dug out the dirt, I felt vindicated.

Robindaybird fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Dec 17, 2018