Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

The Lord Bude posted:

So I'm replacing my 6S+ with an XS today. How crazy would I be to go naked with my new phone? anybody got anecdotes about dropping the XS?

You’d be insanely crazy. The phone feels like a wet bar of soap. Just get a thin Spigen case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

You’d be insanely crazy. The phone feels like a wet bar of soap. Just get a thin Spigen case.

If I do get a case, it will be another saddle brown leather case. I'm not an animal after all. I just thought it might be nice to enjoy the shiny gold back for a bit...

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

I think the X and Xs are fine without a case as long as you understand the risks. Cracking the glass is not an inexpensive repair without AppleCare, and even then it's unnecessary spending, and cases aren't that onerous.

On the other hand, there is an element of 'je ne said quoi' about using it without a case. The industrial design of it feels really nice in the hand. Wrapped in leather it just feels like any other display in a case like phones have been since 2007, but without a case it feels futuristic and science fiction-y.

It's probably more of a personal decision regarding risk tolerance and your own feelings on the thing rather than there being one right answer.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Funny part is the XS grips better than the 6S.

6S was a greased pig. XS is just a pig.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

The Lord Bude posted:

I'd sooner get a case than AppleCare.

lol

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

i have, in fact, (gently) spiked my naked xs max onto the concrete of my garage from thigh high and i cannot tell where it hit.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I'm gonna be honest, this thread is the only place where I have seen anyone care about the saddle brown leather case, and I think it looks like garbage. Why would you want your glossy cool looking phone to be hidden inside an old man wallet?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

I'm gonna be honest, this thread is the only place where I have seen anyone care about the saddle brown leather case, and I think it looks like garbage. Why would you want your glossy cool looking phone to be hidden inside an old man wallet?

Yeah because cape cod blue is a much better choice.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

oh you hosed up now son

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Brown leather is awesome. My wallet is a gorgeous piece of artisanal craftsmanship - saddle brown kangaroo leather hand made in a small Australian country town. None of this fake leather coated poo poo. 100% leather other than the stitching.

I’d upholster my car in the stuff if I could.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

All cases are stupid, it's just brown leather looks the least stupid.

I did roll the grey silicone case for a while because it matches the phone well, but I hate how the silicone ages.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

I wish Apple would try to make a phone with a fine wood back. Like a gorgeous piece of antique furniture. You could have a selection of premium timbers to choose from. Add the stainless steel rim they’re doing and it would look gorgeous.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The Lord Bude posted:

I wish Apple would try to make a phone with a fine wood back. Like a gorgeous piece of antique furniture. You could have a selection of premium timbers to choose from. Add the stainless steel rim they’re doing and it would look gorgeous.
Then you could have wood in your pocket all the time :whatup:

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Oz has actual consumer protection laws. 2 years no questions asked return policies and the like.

Not being from there I have no idea if they'd be obligated to honor it if you skyhooked your phone into something.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Wood cases are a thing, if you hunt around.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

dont be mean to me posted:

Oz has actual consumer protection laws. 2 years no questions asked return policies and the like.

Not being from there I have no idea if they'd be obligated to honor it if you skyhooked your phone into something.

Accidental damage wouldn’t be covered, though Apple would likely get reamed by the ACCC if it was believed to be gouging people on repair costs.

The main thrust of our consumer laws are that

1. The retailer has a legal obligation to give you your choice of a refund/repair/replacement - you never have to deal directly with a manufacturer - if a product is defective, or it doesn’t do what it says it does, or it doesn’t do something that a salesperson told you it would do

2. More importantly, it has to last a reasonable amount of time (based on what the average customer would expect for a product, given price etc). There’s no hard and fast rule on how long a ‘reasonable length of time’ is, but generally the ACCC comes down on the side of ‘longer; and usually much longer than what the manufacturer’s warranty says’

So for example I’ve returned a 2.5 year old graphics card that died for a full refund; if my iPhone shat itself after a couple of years through no fault of my own I’d return it; etc.

The ACCC is also super litigious and trigger happy. They love taking companies to court and making an example of them (see: valve).

That’s why in Australia extended warranties are basically scam products that attempt to sell idiots rights they already have.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Apple care could still be worth it for the accidental damage side of things.

It’s bloody pricey though, $379NZD for an XS (which is an $1899 phone here) and there is still a $169 excess.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

The Lord Bude posted:

If I do get a case, it will be another saddle brown leather case. I'm not an animal after all. I just thought it might be nice to enjoy the shiny gold back for a bit...

You mean the pink back? I got the gold and the back looked gross as hell. I got it from Costco on a promo price so I couldn’t exchange it without losing my discount, so I got a black case to cover up this gross pink monstrosity.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
c:

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

FaceID is a massive improvement over touchID with its 50% fingerprint recognition rate; but I wish it would go directly to the home screen when unlocking. Also I find myself constantly trying to tap where the home button used to be. I guess muscle memory takes a while to wear off.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Uh sorry about your hosed your fingers because 50% error rate on TouchId is not normal at all.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

Uh sorry about your hosed your fingers because 50% error rate on TouchId is not normal at all.

That’s what I was thinking.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
It’s classic internet hyperbole.

OP: Remember the good old days when you could reach into your coat pocket, grab your phone, pull it out while simultaneously pressing a physical button with your thumb that scanned and unlocked your phone all before you could see the screen? Yep, Apple peaked in like 2014.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Coat? That means I have gloves on which means Touch ID won’t work.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Endless Mike posted:

There was a bug in my bank app for way too long, where it obsessively would say the fingerprints on file had changed and I had to re-setup Touch ID again and again with it. Pretty much the only issue I’ve had with the system.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

Maybe it’s just my family; but my dad and I both had situations where touchID would fail 3 times in a row, requiring manual password entry, on average several times a week. 50% failure rate was most definitely not hyperbole for us; and we each had both a 6s and an iPad Air 2. All 4 devices exhibited this issue; and yes, we did try re doing our finger prints. It was very annoying.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I’m a big faceID defender but your Touch ID success rate should have been in the 90s, that is nowhere near the norm.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

The Dave posted:

I’m a big faceID defender but your Touch ID success rate should have been in the 90s, that is nowhere near the norm.

maybe we just have weird greasy fingers, I have no idea. In any event; it's behind me now, I've embraced the faceID future.

I bought a logitech wireless charging stand - it's like some kind of dark magic. Haven't bought a case, but I'm probably going to. I don't find the phone particularly slippery like some have said, but the camera hump is mildly annoying, and the phone gets very hot when in use - no hotter than my old lumias or the androids I had before them got back in the day; but when I bought my 6S+ 3 years ago, I clad it in saddle brown leather from day one, so I guess over the years I've become used to not having my hand directly on the back of my phone.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Dec 17, 2018

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

the xs is the first iphone i felt the need to get a case for, mostly because of the camera bump and it sliding off any surface that isn't completely flat.

i went with this one https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B074CM9928

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

baram. posted:

the xs is the first iphone i felt the need to get a case for, mostly because of the camera bump and it sliding off any surface that isn't completely flat.

They also went with a sharp edge this time and my fear was the camera scratching stuff if you slid the phone across it.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

baram. posted:

i went with this one https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B074CM9928

I was going to recommend the same one except Graphite color.

I thought about going ceaseless. Right up until I put it on my TV/entertainment cabinet in my bedroom. At sometime during the night it made a break for freedom and clattered down on a glass shelf.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
Does anyone know when Apple's existing trade-in program offer (increased trade-in price for certain models) will end? My wife and I are looking at trading in our iPhone 7's for a XR (me) and XS (her) after the holiday and don't want to lose on the increased trade-in prices (right now for a 128GB iPhone 7 they're giving us $250).

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Proteus Jones posted:

I thought about going ceaseless. Right up until I put it on my TV/entertainment cabinet in my bedroom. At sometime during the night it made a break for freedom and clattered down on a glass shelf.
I've got an appointment for a $29 battery replacement on my SE later tonight.

Then, with a renewed lease on my phone's life, I plan to ride out the rest of its days completely caseless.

Gonna enjoy the perfect flat back on that beauty. :feelsgood:

SEpremacy baby. :chord:

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

what’s this leather case you all are referring to?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

The Dave posted:

It should be but it doesn’t work that well for everyone.

For me the success rate is close to 100% but it flat out doesn’t work for my partner (like a 10% success rate). We thought it was some issue with her 6S but we swapped phones for a while and nothing changed (her 6S was perfect for me, my 7 Plus wouldn’t read her prints).

Maybe she’s a spy or something?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Abel Wingnut posted:

what’s this leather case you all are referring to?

It is the One True Case: Saddle Brown Leather Apple case

(The Spigen Ultra-thin is, however, a decent excuse for apostasy)

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
I've got one that has me scratching my head. I have openVPN set up on my iPhone to connect to my router at home which is hosting the VPN. I can connect to it just fine and access any of my apps on the local subnet (192.168.1.x) so clearly the VPN is working fine. The primary intent of using my VPN was to keep my companies eyes off of my traffic when using the network provided for personal devices. The only reason I was using that network was because I thought the VPN would tunnel all of my traffic and only have exposed that I am connected to my home network.

I have been taking the Harvard CS50 course and for god knows what reason the cs50.net website is blocked. (comedy Category as to why is : Educational institutions, can't figure out why my company would block that but keep Facebook open...) So that tells me the VPN is NOT masking my traffic as I should be using my home network to route my browsing traffic, right? Or is my understanding of how this VPN is supposed to work not accurate?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Do you have openVPN set up to force all traffic through the VPN? I believe that setting is server side.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

e.pilot posted:

Do you have openVPN set up to force all traffic through the VPN? I believe that setting is server side.

Not a lot of options on my router (Netgear Nighthawk X6 R7900).

Aside from selecting UDP/TCP for TUN and TAP modes and their ports the only option I have is:

'Clients will use this VPN connection to access:
O - All sites on the Internet & Home Network
O - Home Network Only
O - Auto

I have auto checked. Should I check the first box? Guess after typing it out it does sound like the option to choose but on first glance wasn't immediately obvious to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

TraderStav posted:

Not a lot of options on my router (Netgear Nighthawk X6 R7900).

Aside from selecting UDP/TCP for TUN and TAP modes and their ports the only option I have is:

'Clients will use this VPN connection to access:
O - All sites on the Internet & Home Network
O - Home Network Only
O - Auto

I have auto checked. Should I check the first box? Guess after typing it out it does sound like the option to choose but on first glance wasn't immediately obvious to me.

Yep check the first box that should fix it.