Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

dramedy or Dr. Strangelove

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I got the impression the devs just went "oh I guess we don't actually need something like the Brood and we don't have any really good ideas for them anyway" and quietly dropped them.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Also, it absolutely doesn't need to be center-stage all the time. Changeling is perfectly capable of being fairy swashbuckling adventures, Court political intrigue, or less deeply personal urban horror as needed, with the heavy stuff reserved for major turns in the campaign.

Yup my game is very much turning into "be gay, do crimes". But that specter of the abuse we were subjected to by our keeper or in our previous lives is still there.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Soonmot posted:

Yup my game is very much turning into "be gay, do crimes"

all my games go there right away if they don't start there

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Did the Brood officially stop being vampires at some point or were Edge and Christian just moving forward like nothing happened?

Edge and Christian weren't vampires explicitly. They were just goth dudes who hung out with Gangrel. Then I think he booted them for the Hardy Boyz. Or other way around.

Both teams worked with Gangrel.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Soonmot posted:

Yup my game is very much turning into "be gay, do crimes". But that specter of the abuse we were subjected to by our keeper or in our previous lives is still there.

Xinder posted:

all my games go there right away if they don't start there

i wonder what this says about the human condition

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

You don't let That Guy be in the group, first and foremost.

I think the more people talk about their groups that get to play stuff other than D&D, the more I'm just impressed that they know multiple quality people open to playing other games. I feel like I have to compromise just to get a group for The World's Most Popular Tabletop Role-Playing Game.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I think the more people talk about their groups that get to play stuff other than D&D, the more I'm just impressed that they know multiple quality people open to playing other games. I feel like I have to compromise just to get a group for The World's Most Popular Tabletop Role-Playing Game.

You can always try introducing non table top players to the hobby. It might take a little selling but it's always worth a shot.

I feel like if you can sell your pitch for whatever game you want to run, you can probably persuade people to at least check it out.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I have a group of tabletop players who are generally on board to try anything, we're just plagued with constant scheduling and system mastery issues. Still, the monkey's paw could've done worse. :v:

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

Nehru the Damaja posted:

It's a matter of cultivation, and being willing to play online also makes a large difference. You have to find people, and never be unafraid to cull the creeps. Losing a player is better than watching them test group cohesion at best, or rattle an already shaky group apart. Being willing to get people into TTRPG gaming is another good way to go, it doesn't always pay off but it can really help build loyalty and a group.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Late to the party, but:

Dawgstar posted:

That does beg the question that how interested the wider European LARP market - ostensibly the thing Martin has his finger closest to the pulse of - was in nuWW.

Educated guess says "a fair bit". My girlfriend is a somewhat reknowned LARP writer who knows all the people in that scene, and particularly two Swedish writers who were hired on to write europe-centric stuff for nuWW. Now, these people know their stuff and may have been headhuntet for that reason, which makes me think there was wider interest.

(hilariously, they are both sensible antifascists who then disawoved Swedracula in public)

nofather posted:

But come on. Dracula versus Gangrel, in the squared circle! It's incredibly VtM. Professional wrestling is professional LARPing.

Fun anecdote: There was a pretty large wrestling/WW online subculture at one point in the nineties, to the point where we had 2-3 "federations" on lovely angelfire homepages. People would cut promos talking poo poo about one another on the forums, and then send in wrestling strategies to a storyteller about how to defeat an opponent, and then the ST would arbitrate who won the match and write out a whole page of description. Characters would be vampires, mages, faeries, the lot, and could use their gifts against the opponents.

I remember one christmas morning where young me got up to check a Christmas "pay-per-view" to find out I won the Cruiserweight Championship from one of the baddest vampires in the fed, "Bloodstorm", and being completely stoked :awesome:

Tias fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Dec 18, 2018

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

Tollymain posted:

i wonder what this says about the human condition

That there's hope for us as a species.

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

Pope Guilty posted:

I got the impression the devs just went "oh I guess we don't actually need something like the Brood and we don't have any really good ideas for them anyway" and quietly dropped them.

Belial's Brood? Nah, IIRC it came down to harsh wordcount restrictions during outlining. The book didn't have room for Tilts, Bloodlines, or the proper Sorcery rules we'd just finished writing for the final 1e book. Rose had to decide which of the two antagonist covenants she'd keep in the core.

Much like I had to choose between the Seers and Tremere.

The Brood have been written for 2e since, and are in one of the upcoming books. I forget which one, but they have been previewed already.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Edge and Christian: members of Belial’s Brood

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I also thought that was short for (Belial's) Brood for a few posts.

TBF, the app defaults to only show new posts. So if all the wrestling chat was before the cut, it makes a lot more sense.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Mors Rattus posted:

Edge and Christian: members of Belial’s Brood

Belial's Brood clearly REEKS OF AWESOMENESS

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Sadly the Five Second Pose is no good as the pictures are just blurry. :smith:

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

Dave Brookshaw posted:

The Brood have been written for 2e since, and are in one of the upcoming books. I forget which one, but they have been previewed already.

Spilled Blood.

http://theonyxpath.com/belials-brood-night-horrors-spilled-blood/

They're super draugr.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Also, it absolutely doesn't need to be center-stage all the time. Changeling is perfectly capable of being fairy swashbuckling adventures, Court political intrigue, or less deeply personal urban horror as needed, with the heavy stuff reserved for major turns in the campaign.
As I understand it 2nd edition makes it easier to do this because it emphasises that your keepers and your time in Arcadia wasn't necessarily a matter of full-on torture and abuse for the entire thing, and better teases out that idea that it might have taken the form of, say, getting stuck on a shelf like a doll and forgotten about for a subjective century or two, or whatever, and that Keepers aren't basically "Cenobites with fairy wings and glitter" but can come in a range of styles, not all of which is "All abuse all the time". Not yet read the thing so I may be wrong.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Warthur posted:

As I understand it 2nd edition makes it easier to do this because it emphasises that your keepers and your time in Arcadia wasn't necessarily a matter of full-on torture and abuse for the entire thing, and better teases out that idea that it might have taken the form of, say, getting stuck on a shelf like a doll and forgotten about for a subjective century or two, or whatever, and that Keepers aren't basically "Cenobites with fairy wings and glitter" but can come in a range of styles, not all of which is "All abuse all the time". Not yet read the thing so I may be wrong.

It was that way in 1e too, but it's fundamentally a psychologically damaging thing that one ultimately wants to escape. No one is gonna play one with a (at least to a given Lost) benign Keeper because they'd never leave.

There's also Loyalists who throw in for whatever reason they might have

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Warthur posted:

Personally I'd consider centuries of neglect a pretty intense kind of abuse. I never got the sense Keepers were usually that into torturing, but instead are interested in making you play a role: Servant, hunting dog, hunted deer, doll, weapon... the possibilities are endless. It's the fact that a Keeper has no interest in who their toys are, forcing people into whatever role they choose, that makes even supposed kindness or regard ultimately cruel and alien. When a Keeper decides you're beautiful, that is itself dehumanizing, like everything else they do.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
There's hints that a lot of beast / playmate changelings basically get abandoned by their keeper when they get bored of having a pet and just like, kicked out. The Keeper doesn't want them anymore. That's a pretty rough one too!

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
My first nChangeling (played here on the forums, even) had a Keeper that was more of a collector. She ended up living in a vast storehouse of lost knicknacks, appliances and devices, sacrificing bits of her humanity and fighting entropy to keep them functional. When she realised that remaining there would leave her nothing more than another strange thing on a pile, she made a last-ditch effort to break free.

Poor thing came out with record low self esteem. :(

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
So apparently this adventure that caught my eye isn't just somewhat better-looking than the average Storyteller's Vault content, it's actually a small citybook and adventure book by old-school oChangeling developer Ian Lemke.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
Changeling society is probably rife with tension over those who suffered more/less than you during their Durance.

"I had to eat HUMAN FLESH to survive and eventually it made me LESS THAN HUMAN and I can still hear the SCREAMS of those I have CONSUMED"
"I got to be a pet cat, I slept all day and got fed whenever I wanted it and got lap-time pets and it was incredibly great, I just escaped because I realized I had aspirations beyond pure hedonism."
"Man you're not even a REAL Changeling. Go back to Arcadia if you love the Gentry so much."

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Crasical posted:

Changeling society is probably rife with tension over those who suffered more/less than you during their Durance.

"I had to eat HUMAN FLESH to survive and eventually it made me LESS THAN HUMAN and I can still hear the SCREAMS of those I have CONSUMED"
"I got to be a pet cat, I slept all day and got fed whenever I wanted it and got lap-time pets and it was incredibly great, I just escaped because I realized I had aspirations beyond pure hedonism."
"Man you're not even a REAL Changeling. Go back to Arcadia if you love the Gentry so much."

Hang out with enough trauma survivors and you'll see actual real-world examples of this sort of thing from every angle. Honestly speaking, "I didn't have it nearly that bad" is the angle I'd expect more, because it's a common defense mechanism to downplay and avoid talking about/reflecting on your own trauma for several reasons, which leads to what appear to be staggering blind spots to third parties. "Wait, [horrifying detail] wasn't a normal part of life for you guys?" ":stonk: :stare: :stonklol: NO." is a conversation I've had a lot with some people I know. Lashing out and feeling envious at others who "got off easy" does absolutely happen of course, but more common are the people who internalize that they Didn't Really Suffer and are wracked with horrible guilt for their own trauma responses when they hear someone else's story because they didn't Earn It as much as the other guy did, even if the other guy thinks the exact same thing about them.

Basically Spring Court is where a lot of the interesting recovery stories are going to be, because it's going to be crammed to the gills with the extreme ends of that spectrum. That cat may be exactly as hosed up as the cannibal in terms of long term psychological damage, he's just buried it a whole lot deeper and probably feels a whole lot shittier for having it - and that's before someone tries to do a dick measuring contest with trauma, which is one of the fundamental things that leads into the cycle of abuse.

Daeren fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Dec 19, 2018

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I have just realised that assuming a Mage knows whether a given spell is going to risk Paradox or not (seems fair since they can choose to contain or release on the fly), the way spell control works in Awakening 2e means mages are able to directly measure Gnosis.

Like, only on a voluntary basis, but it's absolutely possible that mages go around saying "I can control 2 spells".

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

bewilderment posted:

I have just realised that assuming a Mage knows whether a given spell is going to risk Paradox or not (seems fair since they can choose to contain or release on the fly), the way spell control works in Awakening 2e means mages are able to directly measure Gnosis.

Like, only on a voluntary basis, but it's absolutely possible that mages go around saying "I can control 2 spells".

At least one merit (Sanctum) adds Spell Control under certain conditions. So it's not quite that simple.

E: besides you can use Prime 1 to measure it

Joe Slowboat fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Dec 19, 2018

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Well, worldofdarkness.com is shutting down, which I guess is not surprising. The small number of updated PDFs I hadn't already bought are now unavailable. I wonder how long it will take for them to show up on DTRPG, if they ever do?

(Seriously, it's crazy that they rebuilt the PDF of the Masquerade revised core and didn't tell anybody.)

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Rand Brittain posted:

Well, worldofdarkness.com is shutting down, which I guess is not surprising. The small number of updated PDFs I hadn't already bought are now unavailable. I wonder how long it will take for them to show up on DTRPG, if they ever do?

(Seriously, it's crazy that they rebuilt the PDF of the Masquerade revised core and didn't tell anybody.)

Just about to share this:

Can't be mad because I got the membership free with the humble bundle but it's still pretty lol

joylessdivision fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Dec 19, 2018

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I guess Christmas comes early this year.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014
I take it Paradox isn't going to make a forum for owod stuff?

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Has anyone taken the model of a monthly WoD larp and used it as a format for tabletop? That is to say, having a game once a month that last 8 or so hours, and then having downtime actions + the occasional short scenes session in between games? (At least, that's how they work in NZ, I assume it's like that overseas as well)

It feels - to me, at least - like a pretty good method for running a Chronicles of Darkness game, and also much less work for 5 players than it would be for 20+. I'm trying to get my Mage game back off the ground, and don't want to have the insane scheduling issues be as big a deal as they were last time I tried running it.

Edit: I was also bandying ideas about for a Christmas Special, and this happened (with apologies to Dave B and Colonel Monday):

Old Father Nicholas

Appearance: As Old Father Nicholas, he looks like a small jolly man with white hair and blue eyes, dressed in red and white. Nobody ever sees him eat and nobody hears him raise his voice, but he's always smiling laughing. His belly is pleasingly round, but always jiggling, like a bowl full of jelly. The Acanthus Adamantine Arrow who knew his true nature saw a thin, sexless, white-skinned figure whose face had been flayed down to a skull made of white ice, covered in red stripes.

Storytelling Hints: The Old Father skirts the edge of the Pax Arcanum. It's embedded itself in Sleeper culture with the aid of the advertising corps of a multinational mega corporation. The Eye wants to turn every single image in the likeness of Her servant into a tool for scrying and, in the long term, convince every single sleeper that they are being watched at all time, that He knows when they are sleeping, He knows when they’re awake, and He knows when they’ve been bad or good...

Rank (Gnosis): 5
Attributes: Power 12, Finesse 8, Resistance 10
Willpower: 22
Mana: 25
Initiative: 18
Defense: 12
Speed: 27
Size: 5
Corpus: 15
Arcana: Time 3, Space 5, Mind 4, Prime 1

cptn_dr fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Dec 19, 2018

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

cptn_dr posted:

Has anyone taken the model of a monthly WoD larp and used it as a format for tabletop? That is to say, having a game once a month that last 8 or so hours, and then having downtime actions + the occasional short scenes session in between games? (At least, that's how they work in NZ, I assume it's like that overseas as well)

No LARPing experience here, curious how the 'occasional short scenes' work. Do you schedule them out with an ST? It doesn't seem like they'd just surprise you while you're doing non-LARPy things.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Basically the STs schedule the time (one game just had them every Wednesday at a local Wendy's, others schedule them around participants), and you do a tabletop session. They're used to get through stuff that's not possible during the monthly game, or stuff that's only of interest to one/ a few players. They're a good way to keep plot ticking over and player interest up in between games, but also a bad thing when they lead to players getting obsessive and a group of people who can attend every Wednesday start getting all the plot/artefacts/lots of XP, but that's really only a problem if your STs are incompetent narcissists who value attention and keeping their plot on a railroad more than a good game experience.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

nofather posted:

I take it Paradox isn't going to make a forum for owod stuff?

That'd be quite the curse to wish on them.

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

cptn_dr posted:

but that's really only a problem if your STs are incompetent narcissists who value attention and keeping their plot on a railroad more than a good game experience. STs.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

cptn_dr posted:

that's really only a problem if your STs are incompetent narcissists who value attention and keeping their plot on a railroad more than a good game experience.
I see you've met every single LARP ST and at least 75% of the tabletop STs in the known universe

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I asked in a meetup group if anyone played wod and some group invited me that larps Changeling the Lost.

I already know I'm not interested in larping but I'm curious what people get out of it for a game like that. At least with Vampire I get the appeal of everyone pretending to be rich, sexy, or powerful. I don't see what people get out of larping CtL.

Granted I've never larped so maybe my notion of why people do it is skewed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
its to br a fairie