Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Ka0 posted:

Why couldn't Riddhe detect that Minerva just wasn't into him at all from the beginning.

I think that rather paled into irrelevance next to 'holy poo poo I stared into someone's soul, that was amazing, I need to do it again'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ka0 posted:

Why couldn't Riddhe detect that Minerva just wasn't into him at all from the beginning.

Riddhe did form an empathic bond with Minerva but he genuinely was unable to tell the difference between forming a bond and romantic interest. It's another interesting bit of his character and one of the more genuinely true-to-life things where someone can form a close connection with another person and not realize that connection can be platonic and not romantic. Dude was genuinely and seriously "but I'm a NICE GUY and we got ALONG" about it.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Guys, the G Gundam Ultra Edition Boxset is REALLY FUCKIN' COOL OMG I LOVE IT

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Haman and Kamille definitely count as a rejected bond, they see each other and she yells at him and he reacts with "oh, we both had rough childhoods, that sucks" and then he sees a bit more and sees all the bad poo poo she's done and yells that she's evil and can't be suffered to live or something to that effect.

Newtype connections being confused for true love makes sense when you think most of the ones we see are teens or a little older and getting a feeling that someone completely understands you and you understand them would blow your tiny teen mind.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Blaze Dragon posted:

Well, yeah, but there's other heroes we can pay attention to in UC afterwards, like that Grey Stoke guy, he looks mighty familiar for some reason...

Manga side stories okay. He's never mentioned or seen again in any of the primary animations. Maybe they'll get back to him while they're filling in the UC 100 years stories and involve that Jupiter crew a bit more.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
On a twitter recommendation, I listened to the Brain Powerd episode of Anime World Order. Then I immediately downloaded their coverage of Wings of Rean & Garzey's Wing. Now I'm starting up Mobile Suit Breakdown. I feel like I'll never get tired of hearing about all the ways Tomino is just a big ol' weirdo.

Edit: From MSB "There wasn't a 1 or 2 for either Daitarn or Zambot. I guess Tomino just liked the number 3, Invincible Men, and making unpopular shows." SAVAGE.

HitTheTargets fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Dec 17, 2018

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The only way to watch Garzey's Wing is with the dub.
YOU CERTAINLY GOT SEXY

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Dubbed Garzey's Wing is honestly the only worthwhile Byston Well show.

HitTheTargets posted:

Edit: From MSB "There wasn't a 1 or 2 for either Daitarn or Zambot. I guess Tomino just liked the number 3, Invincible Men, and making unpopular shows." SAVAGE.
Hey what the heck. Zambot is good, and despite a weird and arguably out of place ending Daitarn is kind of a fun show.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Dec 17, 2018

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Tell that to the anime-watching populace of late 70s Japan.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Brain Powerd is good.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

MonsieurChoc posted:

Brain Powerd is good.
We’ll know for sure if Brain Powerd gives you any Christmas presents this year.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

https://twitter.com/Gotoms/status/1074635411689922561?s=19

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

This explains why the RX-78 has a huge hog I guess.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

chiasaur11 posted:

And that's how you get mobile armors.

Anaheim Electronics did such a bangup job they spawned a new timeline

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

why

Ka0 posted:

riddhe's entire deal is that he actively rejects his newtype instincts

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Dec 18, 2018

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Japanese nerd girls loved those 00 boys. Nerd girls love them some 2.5D stage plays. Stage productions are cheaper than animation. There was money to be made.

It's nuts how popular 2.5D stage plays have become, I saw on the news last week the Hello Kitty theme park has even started stage plays to attract the hordes.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Until I saw that poster I had never really thought about the fact that none of the major characters in 00 are Japanese

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord
2.5D? What, do they wheel out a TV and show scenes from 00 or something?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I'm glad the theater is being kept alive.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Gripweed posted:

Until I saw that poster I had never really thought about the fact that none of the major characters in 00 are Japanese

Can you imagine the shitfit some of the American demographics would have with a live-action giant robot series or movie that has a middle-eastern former child soldier as the main protagonist? Their heads would explode in self-righteous indignation :allears:.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Improbable Lobster posted:

2.5D? What, do they wheel out a TV and show scenes from 00 or something?

It's just a phrase the fans/industry has coined. It's a mix of animated world (2D) with real life people (3D) and apparently that averages out to 2.5D.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
So not a cast of little people so everything is half height.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
It's a play with real people, but the stage is tilted 30 degrees towards the audience to give you an isometric perspective.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Can you imagine the shitfit some of the American demographics would have with a live-action giant robot series or movie that has a middle-eastern former child soldier as the main protagonist? Their heads would explode in self-righteous indignation :allears:.

FMP! would get this too. :d2a:

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Sousuke is ethnically Japanese, so a live action Hollywood movie would probably be able to wave it's hands and make his Islamic upbringing disappear.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Look at the monster hunter movie, the question on whether he'd still be islamic would be the least of your worries

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I have literally never looked at that movie, so hang on...

It's an isekai? Okay, I guess Hollywood really does understand the Japanese market after all.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Where's my live action Tequila Gundam?

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
Do they have guys in cardboard gundam costumes come out and fight?

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Spelling Mitsake posted:

Do they have guys in cardboard gundam costumes come out and fight?
If the Resident Evil stage play is anything to go by, it'll be the actor sitting in front of a painfully obvious green screen image of the cockpit. While bad CGI images of the mobile suits fight in the background. Or, there will be mobile suits doing things project onto the set backdrop....while the cast looks out into the audience (in other words, facing the opposite direction) in an attempt to make it look like they are interacting with the backdrop images.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnpV4IVVowY

Well, his points about the positives of 0083 are valid but he's really underselling how badly the ending was mangled.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
OVA 6 of The Origin is on GundamInfo for the next month: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKH7kZN9knY

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
Really excited to see more Zoltan.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

How did Char get permission to wear his dumb helmet as a fresh recruit? Surely that's not regulation.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Captain Cappy posted:

How did Char get permission to wear his dumb helmet as a fresh recruit? Surely that's not regulation.

Char claimed that his eyes were damaged and he needed the helmet to shield them. It's also why he wore sunglasses when he was out of helmet.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

He is pretending to have space-eye problems that require corrective glasswear. The helmet make more sense than glasses for a pilot, but less sense than contact lenses

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

ninjewtsu posted:

He is pretending to have space-eye problems that require corrective glasswear. The helmet make more sense than glasses for a pilot, but less sense than contact lenses
It would've made more sense if we saw a couple other guys in helmets like that, even if they were of course very different than Char. That makes it look like an uncommon but known medical appliance.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
To be clear, the mask and helmet are two separate things. The mask is a set of 'corrective' armoured goggles, while the helmet is standard-issue for a mid-ranking Zeon officer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Nessus posted:

It would've made more sense if we saw a couple other guys in helmets like that, even if they were of course very different than Char. That makes it look like an uncommon but known medical appliance.

i mean kycellia has some similarish duds