Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arban
Aug 28, 2017

HEY GUNS posted:

those interpretations are cask-strength wedgewood, and peter wilson and i have dedicated our lives to saying she was wrong

Feel like expanding on this statement?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Arban posted:

Historians have pretty much accepted that it wasn't called the Thirty Years War till after.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

War of Protestant Aggression

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Historians have pretty much accepted that it wasn't called the Thirty Years War till after.

That part seemed pretty obviously a joke.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Arban posted:

the line that the armies entered the war shouting "santa maria!" and exited it shouting "viva espana!" is a direct quote from wedgewood. her argument was that the 30yw was not only the last great religious war but also inaugurated modern nation-states and national armies. this was a tenacious belief, but imo the complex of relationships that we call a "state" took a very long time to develop and involved a lot more private military enterprise than we used to think.

the argument that the 1640s was characterized by "shattered remnants of armies" that moved around "purposelessly" in a "lawless" situation is entirely wrong. there were few resources in the 40s, yes. this is indeed why armies got smaller--much smaller. but these little armies weren't "shattered," they were highly adapted to their environment (and might have been able to continue operating indefinitely if the war hadn't ended and they weren't disbanded in '51). their movements weren't purposeless; instead they exchanged information back and forth with their heads of state frequently, and reacted to directions from home base. And they weren't lawless--the military legal system was highly developed and continued to function, except in the army of Brandenburg.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Dec 18, 2018

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Xiahou Dun posted:

That part seemed pretty obviously a joke.

What?

Arban
Aug 28, 2017
Thank you. I wasn't sure exactly who and what the original comment applied to.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

HEY GUNS posted:

the line that the armies entered the war shouting "santa maria!" and exited it shouting "viva espana!" is a direct quote from wedgewood. her argument was that the 30yw was not only the last great religious war but also inaugurated modern nation-states and national armies. this was a tenacious belief, but imo the complex of relationships that we call a "state" took a very long time to develop and involved a lot more private military enterprise than we used to think.

the argument that the 1640s was characterized by "shattered remnants of armies" that moved around "purposelessly" in a "lawless" situation is entirely wrong. there were few resources in the 40s, yes. this is indeed why armies got smaller--much smaller. but these little armies weren't "shattered," they were highly adapted to their environment (and might have been able to continue operating indefinitely if the war hadn't ended and they weren't disbanded in '51). their movements weren't purposeless; instead they exchanged information back and forth with their heads of state frequently, and reacted to directions from home base. And they weren't lawless--the military legal system was highly developed and continued to function, except in the army of Brandenburg.

What happened with the Brandenburger army?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Hogge Wild posted:

What happened with the Brandenburger army?
i have no idea but i think i read in maron lorenz's book that they had no military legal system at all. i would be interested in hearing where she got this information

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

bewbies posted:

Was this erected by latent republicans in order to intimidate royalists?

Royalists actually put up a bust of Charles I on Westminster Abbey opposite staring him down.

Tias posted:

I meant to also quote the part about the genocide against the Irish, though.

Cromwell isn't even a big psychopath for his age, really - he's just a huge ego who don't mind breaking a zillion Irish eggs to make an omelet, which is really reprehensible to me.

Yeah, I broadly agree with that. But the Stuarts were pretty much exactly as brutal to the Irish right up until it suited Charles I to use Irish troops. And the Tudors before them. James VI of Scotland (later James I of England) actually copied English policies in his own pacification of the Western Isles. The Gentleman Adventurers of Fife is the most dashing name anyone ever gave to a government-ordered genocide.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
How come the English language doesn’t have a word dedicated to the act of being thrown out a window?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I feel like defenestrated works fine.

I kicked him vs. I was kicked

I defenestrated him vs. I was defenestrated.

E: I'm kind of intrigued now because I can't think of any english verb that specifically refers to having something done to you. Or even how to express the concept of that without just that there tense change.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Dec 18, 2018

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

How come the English language doesn’t have a word dedicated to the act of being thrown out a window?

Out-windowing, as in

The folk out-windowed the great king's go-betweens
Dumped the churls down, into the dungheap
Wailing their woes, and the war was started

Kei Technical
Sep 20, 2011
Speaking of the origins of nationalism, what's the thread take on Imagined Communities by Benedict Anderson?

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

any good book or podcast recommendation for the boxer rebellion?

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
The best defenestration is a good offenestration. :downsrim:

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

CMS posted:

Speaking of the origins of nationalism, what's the thread take on Imagined Communities by Benedict Anderson?

i liked the book.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Mr Enderby posted:

Out-windowing, as in

The folk out-windowed the great king's go-betweens
Dumped the churls down, into the dungheap
Wailing their woes, and the war was started

sing O muse of the rage of Jindřich Matyáš Thurn-Valsassina
Frantisek's son, murderous man-killer, fated to gently caress up
that inflicted woes without number on the Bohemians
and sent countless good souls out the window

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jan 4, 2019

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Neophyte posted:

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Neophyte posted:

But defenestration wins championships

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

chitoryu12 posted:

I live in a decent suburb less than a mile from the urban sprawl that extends outward from Orlando. Multiple times I've had bears going through my trash and we recently had coyote and bobcat sightings in the neighborhood next door almost simultaneously. Even before you get into any risk of crime, there's a very good case for carrying a gun when taking out the trash at night in a normal suburb.

This is from last month but I can't not comment on this. I've lived in a dozen different states and at least twice as many different suburbs and not once have I seen a bear going through my trash can. You do not live in a normal suburb.

I've had pets eaten by coyote, but have yet to meet one I couldn't scare off with a thrown rock or two. Nor have I ever even heard them while living in a suburb.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Dec 19, 2018

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Lmao at needing a gun at any american suburb.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

ughhhh posted:

any good book or podcast recommendation for the boxer rebellion?

History in Three Keys: The Boxers as Event, Experience, and Myth is a good book that also has a lot of great meta commentary on the history of the history.

E: Either Amazon has a long memory or my undergrad history department is single-handedly skewing the algorithm. The first two hits on 'Customers who bought this item also bought' are the textbook for the Intro Modern Middle East and a text set for 300-Indigenous Peoples of Mexico class.

the JJ fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Dec 19, 2018

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Mr Enderby posted:

Royalists actually put up a bust of Charles I on Westminster Abbey opposite staring him down.

Yeah, I broadly agree with that. But the Stuarts were pretty much exactly as brutal to the Irish right up until it suited Charles I to use Irish troops. And the Tudors before them. James VI of Scotland (later James I of England) actually copied English policies in his own pacification of the Western Isles. The Gentleman Adventurers of Fife is the most dashing name anyone ever gave to a government-ordered genocide.

..aannd this is where I realize I know absolutely nothing about the history of the isles.

Can you recommend a good introductory piece, preferably in podcast form? I've been trying to get into Rex Factor, but I think it deals mostly with early kings and I'm too busy with Saga thing as it is.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

LLSix posted:

This is from last month but I can't not comment on this. I've lived in a dozen different states and at least twice as many different suburbs and not once have I seen a bear going through my trash can. You do not live in a normal suburb.

I've had pets eaten by coyote, but have yet to meet one I couldn't scare off with a thrown rock or two. Nor have I ever even heard them while living in a suburb.

Florida.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

howe_sam posted:

But defenestration wins championships

For some reason I'm now thinking of Cadorna as one of those tough guy NFL coaches who never goes better than 8-8 but inexplicably keeps getting hired

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
i used to live in the mountains of northern new mexico and in addition to coyotes every now and then a big cat would come through. one summer there was a bear in the entry hall of one of the dorms in my college

we are still not as :911: as the guy whose roommates fried squirrels in college

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Dec 19, 2018

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

ChubbyChecker posted:

How is his Irish genocide covered? And other genocides caused by the British?

from when I was a kid? they were not.

We briefly covered the potato famine as just a freak act of god that happened to kill thousands of people nobody could have predicted or done anything about, though!

(Given how many times people will say "WHY AREN'T THE INDIANS MORE GRATEFUL FOR TRAINS" and other dumbass imperial legacy poo poo, I think my experience wasn't unusual)

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

Tias posted:

..aannd this is where I realize I know absolutely nothing about the history of the isles.

Can you recommend a good introductory piece, preferably in podcast form? I've been trying to get into Rex Factor, but I think it deals mostly with early kings and I'm too busy with Saga thing as it is.

About the Western Isles specifically? Sadly not, and I'd be pretty interested to know of such a work myself.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Tias posted:

Saga thing

Excellent choice.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

spectralent posted:

We briefly covered the potato famine as just a freak act of god that happened to kill thousands of people nobody could have predicted or done anything about, though!

(Given how many times people will say "WHY AREN'T THE INDIANS MORE GRATEFUL FOR TRAINS" and other dumbass imperial legacy poo poo, I think my experience wasn't unusual)

I vaguely remember being taught stuff like "Ireland was still exporting food during the famine and maybe the British government could have done better" but it was definitely taught as more of an Act of God + technical failure than any systemic thing

We definitely didn't get taught about the Bengal famine and I dont remember anything about Cromwell in Ireland either

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

LLSix posted:

Round these parts its not the Coyotes you have to worry about... its the loving coywolves. Yes. Coywolves.

They intelligent, large, strong, grumpy and most importantly not afraid of you or rocks...

Zhanism
Apr 1, 2005
Death by Zhanism. So Judged.

EvilMerlin posted:

Round these parts its not the Coyotes you have to worry about... its the loving coywolves. Yes. Coywolves.

They intelligent, large, strong, grumpy and most importantly not afraid of you or rocks...

I've read about these in academic literature but goddamn if i saw that thing in real life, i'd be scared as poo poo. It just looks wrong and unsettling with the head seemingly too small for that body.

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

Zhanism posted:

I've read about these in academic literature but goddamn if i saw that thing in real life, i'd be scared as poo poo. It just looks wrong and unsettling with the head seemingly too small for that body.

They are... interesting...

I've seen them close on foot. They are curious, but cautious. I am usually walking 2 dogs (of the three) at a time, two of which are about the same size as the coywolves around here (Sawyer and Tessa are both well over 60 lbs, and Sawyer will push 100lbs in the winters), so they don't come TOO close when we are out.

But once in the house they will wander, sniff and mark where the our dogs have marked.

They also are smart enough to open snap lids on trash and garbage bins.

At night, they will be along the woodline just before it hits the lawn. They DO form packs when eating, unlike Coyotes... but usually around here, they are seen only as a single animal.

The genetic make up in our area has been mostly stable at 60% western coyote, 30% eastern wolf, and 10% domestic dog.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
If they're not afraid why are you calling them coy wolves?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

GotLag posted:

they've been flirting with him

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
currently reading this and it's like patrick o'brien with ipads. if you're into detailed naval spergery and the drama of human interaction, check it out
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Into-Raging-Sea-Thirty-Three-Megastorm/dp/0062699709
comeing from someone who knows a bit about spain's shipping in the atlantic during the 16th and 17th centuries, some things have not changed

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Dec 20, 2018

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

spectralent posted:

Lets see what we were taught in school from my shady rear end recollection:

Flash back to ye olde 2001-04 with the basic and GCSE History lessons I was taught by state curriculum:

Subjects in vague order, with modules that essentially laid out the most basic facts and how things unfolded depending on the subject/events of said subject:

Pre-GCSE 12-14 years old 'well we got to teach them SOMETHING'

The social politics of the Tudors.
Native Americans and the genocide around them.
A brief run through of the Civil War era focused on the politics of Parliament of the time.
Victorian Industrial and Agricultural revolution.

GCSE: 'So you give a vague poo poo about history huh?'

The build up to the 1st World War.
Treaty of Versailles and hilariously brief inter war module.
Rise of Nazi Germany.
Early 2nd World Wall/Fall of Europe.

And uh, that is it.

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

GotLag posted:

Someplace, somewhere, a snare drum and cymbals are making a noise or two...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I think we spent maybe 5 minutes learning about Cromwell in American public school (pre-university) but I visited Ireland this year and certainly got A Perspective (an earned one to be sure)