Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

A bit worse... :suicide:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3oTCjCLnFw

"Bei Bayern München spielt auch keine Frau mit"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

https://twitter.com/GabySchneider16/status/1074354130997706759?s=19

... quite a few, actually

e: upon closer inspection, the afd logo is a penis in this image. I really need internet on a non-phone again soon

Smirr fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Dec 18, 2018

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Das arme Mädchen weiß nicht mal, dass sie in einer lesbischen Beziehung ist.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Healbot posted:

Das arme Mädchen weiß nicht mal, dass sie in einer lesbischen Beziehung ist.

inb4 lesbians aren't really homo :v:

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Uh, what

skipThings
May 21, 2007

Tell me more about this
"Wireless fun-adaptor" you were speaking of.

hahah,..
ha,..

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Homosexuality hasn't really been an obstacle to being part of the far right for quite some time now. I'm not entirely sure since when and it lagged behind mainstream society's acceptance of queer people. But the far right using "concern" for the rights of gay people as a tool to push anti-Islam talking points has been a noticeable propaganda strategy since at least the early 2000s.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Randler posted:

Homosexuality hasn't really been an obstacle to being part of the far right for quite some time now. I'm not entirely sure since when and it lagged behind mainstream society's acceptance of queer people. But the far right using "concern" for the rights of gay people as a tool to push anti-Islam talking points has been a noticeable propaganda strategy since at least the early 2000s.
So reactionary they're going to before Nacht der langen Messer #Röhm2020

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Randler posted:

Röhm aside, at least since Jörg Haider and his Buberlpartie, where everyone knew about his gay bar life outside his family. They just aren't allowed to be flaming, but as passing and conforming as possible.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Wow, so apparently a SPIEGEL journalist faked his stories and nobody noticed until now:

http://www.spiegel.de/kultur/gesellschaft/fall-claas-relotius-spiegel-legt-betrug-im-eigenen-haus-offen-a-1244579.html

Also here’s how - by comparison - the New Yorker handles fact checking:

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2018/10/15/daniel-radcliffe-and-the-art-of-the-fact-check

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Zwille posted:

Wow, so apparently a SPIEGEL journalist faked his stories and nobody noticed until now:

http://www.spiegel.de/kultur/gesellschaft/fall-claas-relotius-spiegel-legt-betrug-im-eigenen-haus-offen-a-1244579.html

Also here’s how - by comparison - the New Yorker handles fact checking:

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2018/10/15/daniel-radcliffe-and-the-art-of-the-fact-check
The amount of invented stuff (like, everything basically) is staggering in this particular case, but I always was a bit iffy on the general style of SPIEGEL articles. I'm not gonna say that this makes everything they report on suspect (God no), but the way their writers focus on minute details to make a story "pop" has always annoyed me.

That's things like "as they tell me the tragic story of the loss of their child, I focus on the antiquated pattern of the sofa they're sitting on, dust dampening the once-vibrant colors. The radio in the background shifts to commercial, it's advertising pregnancy tests". And I get that they add this stuff to set a scene, a mood, to make it more interesting to read and less just dry facts, but it always seems a little too convenient, too poetic. Even if it's just nitpicking (the sofa might in fact be dirty, but maybe the wallpaper is super garish so the full scene might look a lot less dreary than you'd think from reading it?) or a might have happened scenario (maybe the writer heard the commercial play...in his car on the way to the interview, so if he was earlier, it could have come at the right time to be powerfully ironic!), it's still...wrong.

This doesn't need to devalue the actual facts they report on, and I'm sure 99% of SPIEGEL articles are written with the highest standards of journalistic ethic. But I, personally, are always taken out of a powerful story by these details because there's a nagging doubt in my mind that it's not just added for emphasis, and now having proof that at least in one case, the story itself was also added for emphasis, won't help that.

Welsh Rarebitch
Jun 5, 2011

Simply Simon posted:

The amount of invented stuff (like, everything basically) is staggering in this particular case, but I always was a bit iffy on the general style of SPIEGEL articles.

Yep, I often felt the accompanying anecdotes are often too convenient to be true, e.g. writing about some mundane issue and then of course they always know a person affected and know all the oddly specific details. But I am sure it's just their high investigative standards and not just some stressed journalists making poo poo up before the deadline.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Simply Simon posted:

This doesn't need to devalue the actual facts they report on, and I'm sure 99% of SPIEGEL articles are written with the highest standards of journalistic ethic. But I, personally, are always taken out of a powerful story by these details because there's a nagging doubt in my mind that it's not just added for emphasis, and now having proof that at least in one case, the story itself was also added for emphasis, won't help that.

Welsh Rarebitch posted:

Yep, I often felt the accompanying anecdotes are often too convenient to be true, e.g. writing about some mundane issue and then of course they always know a person affected and know all the oddly specific details. But I am sure it's just their high investigative standards and not just some stressed journalists making poo poo up before the deadline.

"Welcome to 1957, meine Herren."

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Welsh Rarebitch posted:

I always assumed those little example stories are made up, or at least heavily edited to combine impressions and stories from multiple real people. It's not even a lie, just a rhetorical device.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

lol at the headline of one of the articles in question

quote:

"Bei Gott, ich hätte das nie schreiben dürfen"

True, true :hmmyes:

e: The Good Duck Panels account is the sole good thing on twitter

https://twitter.com/GoodDuckPanels/status/1075399077150507008

System Metternich fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Dec 19, 2018

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

This Relotius story is incredible, the Spiegel article on it is very good (except for the fact that they used the word “getürkt” in the first version lmao). I wonder what kind of mental illness the dude has.

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

pidan posted:

I always assumed those little example stories are made up, or at least heavily edited to combine impressions and stories from multiple real people. It's not even a lie, just a rhetorical device.

The SPIEGEL is notorious for its style, where the article often opens with a heavily subjective description before easing off into a more journalistic prose. There's even a German expression that escapes me. (SPIEGEL-Eröffnung?) A SPIEGEL dude, Pfister, had to give back an award after people realized his description of Seehofer‘s man cave (filled with model trains) was based on hearsay but delivered as a first person account.

Implying to be an eyewitness when you are only reporting hearsay is really bad journalism, as it always should be clear who reports what on what account. The fact he invented stories that the editors wanted to be true (sob stories about Syrian war orphans, scare stories about Red Neck Murrica) because they carried the right moral kernel makes his superiors and quality controllers look like tools. Relotius simply went 150% SPIEGEL. And will feed the foil hats for months.

Quick'n'dirty bonus edit: Facts about Gravity, err, Fergus Falls

https://medium.com/@micheleanderson...plmK5e8YWPNc9LQ

Double Bonus

Randler posted:

"Welcome to 1957, meine Herren."

While looking Update that elusive expression (s.a.) I stumbled on the critique by Enzensberger Randler is referring to. It is actually very good and should be read by all.

http://www.spiegel.de/spiegel/print/d-32092775.html

Einbauschrank fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Dec 20, 2018

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
I know this is supposed to be uplifting and inspiring, but my current view of global political matters makes this poo poo traurig als fick

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UfpkRFPIJk

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Have you considered being less pessimistisch?

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Randler posted:

Have you considered being less pessimistisch?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I know this is supposed to be uplifting and inspiring, but my current view of global political matters makes this poo poo traurig als fick

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UfpkRFPIJk

Turn that sadness into anger and action. I don't think the video is supposed to be uplifting and inspiring at all; it's meant just as much to be a challenge to the rest of us who don't have the outsider perspective of someone who has seen the world from space as much as it is to be an apology to the next generations.

Yes, it's very sad. But that's the point.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Life in Germany has been good in 2018 so far. Cheer up.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

:chloe:

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Randler still has to meet his family for Christmas who all hate him because, well

Einbauschrank posted:

While looking Update that elusive expression (s.a.) I stumbled on the critique by Enzensberger Randler is referring to. It is actually very good and should be read by all.

That was actually really cool and I'm now kind of between worried and proud that I had pretty much the exact same thoughts as Enzensberger...but 60 years late.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Simply Simon posted:

Randler still has to meet his family for Christmas who all hate him because, well

Those who are alive and not in jail are actually still sending me Christmas cards asking me to answer their calls. :razz:

Please update your spreadsheet accordingly.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

Einbauschrank posted:

Dang, that's a really good critique that in most points is still valid today

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

I don't dislike you Randler, let's never talk all the time

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.
Am home for Christmas and watching Dieter Nuhr with my Mutter.

Did he become extremely unfunny and conservative (climate change "Humor", "there aren't enough Mietwohnungen because too many Gesetze") before or after he turned into an Undead?

Thanks for the tips Randler; I keep a detailed budget spreadsheet (my boyfriend called it "the most German thing I have ever seen") and I do have a decent buffer so I feel better.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

Apparently this Qanon poo poo is making its way to us now, too :rolleyes:

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
I thought even his hardcore crazies have abandoned him on 4chan after Trump fired Sessions and the main pillar of the conspiracy theory collapsed into the bullshit the whole thing is.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Lunar Suite posted:

Did he become extremely unfunny and conservative (climate change "Humor", "there aren't enough Mietwohnungen because too many Gesetze") before or after he turned into an Undead?

He's been conservative for quite some time now.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

System Metternich posted:

Apparently this Qanon poo poo is making its way to us now, too :rolleyes:

Yessss finally. Someone show them the Straße des 17. Juni, please

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I want to live in the comic book world where the president's official attire is a t-shirt with their number printed on.

SavageGentleman
Feb 28, 2010

When she finds love may it always stay true.
This I beg for the second wish I made too.

Fallen Rib
Can somebody aufklär me about the latest developments of the Q-Anon narrative?

Btw I read that Spiegel article with great interest. Lol at him literally projecting everything that's currently wrong with America on an innocent little town called Fergus Falls (turning it into some kind of bastion of Trumploving stupidity and hate) and the editors just rubberstamping it.

Here is the detailed article about the town: http://www.spiegel.de/kultur/gesellschaft/fall-claas-relotius-us-kleinstadt-fergus-falls-vom-betrug-beim-spiegel-betroffen-a-1244806.html

My fazit: This article is an especially good example why Relotius came so far: He's taking a 'real' place and upgrades it with all of the elements that we want to see there. Here it's current Amerikakritik: The town suddenly gets a weapon-loving, celibate mayor, is smitten with "American Sniper", has an entrace sign full of self-righteousness and hatred, a 'banal' or unintellectual cultural life, a high school turned fortress because of mass shooting fears - and school excursions to Trump Tower, New York. All of this never existed in the first place - at least not in Fergus Falls. Most likeley these things individually exist in various places in the US but Relotius combines them to a single image that satisfies the contemporary middle-class Amerikakritik.

Fazit der Untersuchung von Spiegel:
"Auf 7300 Wörtern hat er (gemeint ist Reporter Relotius, Anm. d. Redaktion) nur die Einwohnerzahl unserer Stadt und die jährliche Durchschnittstemperatur richtig wiedergegeben, und ein paar grundsätzliche Dinge wie die Namen von Geschäften und Personen des öffentlichen Lebens - Dinge, die ein Kind mit einer Google-Suche hätte herausfinden können. Der Rest ist ungehemmte Fiktion (sogar so schlampig, wie die falsche Zahl zu zitieren, dass bei der Präsidentschaftswahl Trump eine Unterstützung von 70,4 Prozent in der Stadt hatte, tatsächlich waren es 62,6 Prozent), was die Frage aufwirft, wieso der SPIEGEL überhaupt in Relotius' dreiwöchige Reise in die USA investierte, ob sie ihr Geld von ihm zurück verlangen sollten, und was für ein institutioneller Zusammenbruch dazu führte, dass das SPIEGEL-Faktenchecker-Team - vorgeblich Weltklasse - hierbei totalen Mist baute."

SavageGentleman fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Dec 21, 2018

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Lunar Suite posted:

Thanks for the tips Randler; I keep a detailed budget spreadsheet (my boyfriend called it "the most German thing I have ever seen") and I do have a decent buffer so I feel better.

Yeah, I had the same reaction when I watched his Netflix thing a while ago. He even pulled a "pronouns, amirite?". Dude got old, and does as olds do.

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.

Perestroika posted:

Yeah, I had the same reaction when I watched his Netflix thing a while ago. He even pulled a "pronouns, amirite?". Dude got old, and does as olds do.

Oh god yeah he did a trans joke and I actually left the room in disgust; Mutter had no idea why I was mad.
I guess that's just how it is. I'll try and be joyful when morality becomes incomprehensible to me; hopefully it'll mean society has surpassed me.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Lunar Suite posted:

Oh god yeah he did a trans joke and I actually left the room in disgust; Mutter had no idea why I was mad.
I guess that's just how it is. I'll try and be joyful when morality becomes incomprehensible to me; hopefully it'll mean society has surpassed me.

I'm looking forward to seeing us slowly transform into gammons as we age, too

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

It is not a law of nature that all old people become racist and lovely, much like it's not a guarantee that all men want to be like their father and all women will be like their mother. Old people are people too and responsible for their own choices and actions. There shouldn't be any automatic excuse like that, and even less so for someone who's job is to literally stay on top of current events and commentate on them in a funny way.

I get that if you're, like, 80 and just done with it all then you might not WANT to understand what the kids these days are doing and watch the news and learn twitter and Facebook or whatever and I'd be sympathetic to you and personally excuse a lot of questionable behaviour because I have compassion with the elderly. I'd probably still argue against you when you bring your lovely uninformed opinions to the public. Nuhr is anything but elderly, he can go gently caress himself.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

SavageGentleman posted:

Can somebody aufklär me about the latest developments of the Q-Anon narrative?

The last thing I heard about is that something big was supposed to go down on December 5th (in the background of a Trump video you could see a bus for like a millisecond with "D5" printed on it which is irrefutable evidence, you see) but then nothing happened do. then they switched over to December 7th, and when nothing happened there too they were like "through those various fakeouts Trump forced them to play their hand too soon and now they're completely defenceless, what a genius" and whatever they think will happen is supposed to do so on Christmas Eve now iirc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Simply Simon posted:

It is not a law of nature that all old people become racist and lovely, much like it's not a guarantee that all men want to be like their father and all women will be like their mother. Old people are people too and responsible for their own choices and actions. There shouldn't be any automatic excuse like that, and even less so for someone who's job is to literally stay on top of current events and commentate on them in a funny way.

I get that if you're, like, 80 and just done with it all then you might not WANT to understand what the kids these days are doing and watch the news and learn twitter and Facebook or whatever and I'd be sympathetic to you and personally excuse a lot of questionable behaviour because I have compassion with the elderly. I'd probably still argue against you when you bring your lovely uninformed opinions to the public. Nuhr is anything but elderly, he can go gently caress himself.

You're right. In fact, personality research suggests that humans become more mellow and agreeable as they age. But it is is the case that they become more close-minded. Some of that is probably preventable, like humans becoming complacent with their own life style ("It worked for me, why do these people want it different"). But I wouldn't at all be surprised if a part of that process was inevitable.

I'm sorry that I can't dig out the source because that would cost me an hour or so at work, but: reaction times get longer as humans grow older. There was one memory-related study a couple of years ago in which they found that one reason for this slowing is that humans have to basically index an ever-growing memory before making certain judgments. If you apply that to learning, it'll mean that integrating new knowledge (or attitudes) into existing knowledge (or attitudes) becomes more difficult.

Maybe this can be mitigated if it is drilled into individuals to think critically, to reflect, and to expect to have to re-adjust their thinking every now and then. It would be absolutely brilliant if a generation would keep these skills until they've arrived at an age where they've accumulated economical and political privilege. But unless you actively work on it I'm afraid the default scenario is to become close-minded.